The Dry Heat Expedition (Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Disneyland)--UPDATE 6/12 (KSC and DTD)

You know, I would expect that from the DIS Dads...:headache:
If I'd have actually seen it when you did it... :rolleyes1

I can't wait until the DIS Dads get on this picture. :lmao::lmao::lmao:
Das Boot!!!!!

256094-vlcsnap_2010_07_01_21h51m22s59.png

The Grand Canyon looks beautiful in the pictures. I can only imagine how amazing it is in person. I'm glad you gave the kids an opportunity to see it.

The hotel seems adequate to me. Anything to give you a couple of nights/days to explore the grand canyon should do just fine! :thumbsup2

It’s the American Way

Reminds me of a Simpsons song: "When you cut every corner, you'll get done twice as fast...it's the American way!"

“Fbbbttt… Feed me!”

baby-food.png

And an inkling that just maybe “we” aren’t quite as grand and we think ourselves to be.

Ssshh! You wouldn't want people actually believing that, would you?

Something that a picture just don’t quite convey.

No. No, it doesn't. I guess you'd better go out there and see it.

But oddly enough… those few words there do a pretty good job of relating the experience.

Hey, thanks!

Almost as if you’d planed it.

If I were capable of that, I wouldn't still be working here.

Riiiight…

That’d be like my saying that I was quite the looker.
No one would be buyin’ that one either.

Of course with a condor all that “ugly” serves a purpose.
Don’t believe the same coud be said for me.

We all serve a purpose. Don't feel too bad, because we learned from a ranger that apparently the condor isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, either.

Another check in the “W” column.
All wins are good wins

True story!

Roast Condor?

You may have ze duck.

Hummmmm…
They don’t spend much time staging Broadway revivals in the back yard do they?

I think I would have noticed.

It’s a puzzlement

::yes::

I though we weren’t gonn’a have to be doing any more learning?

D'oh! Sorry, I don't know how that snuck in there.

About the same margin of error common in a Fox News poll.

Or MSNBC. We're fiercely independent in our ways here.

From your pictures I think I see both of those hands at work there.
Nice summation there and some very fine shootin’.

Thank you, sir. Julie gets full credit for the photography.

That about sums it up pretty nicely. :rotfl2:

We all serve a purpose. Don't feel too bad, because we learned from a ranger that apparently the condor isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, either.

Didn’t know about their level of smarts but that’s interesting to learn.
Here I was talking just about the “ugly” serving a purpose as opposed to the whole bird.

It’s the bald head that spoils their appearance, but if they had feathers there it’d cause problems. Being as they prefer to feast of on the expired (so to speak), and carcasses tend to be – shall we say – a bit messy. Larger "opportunities" would be particularly troublesome as getting to the “good stuff” kind’a requires that they get deep into their work (if you take my meaning). Under those conditions, feathers anywhere near their beaks would constantly be covered in some pretty nasty and potentially septic goo. And because of the location they’d be tough to clean as well. Thus an adaptation to purposely be “ugly” serves the critter as a protection from bio-hazards.

Ain't nature clever?

Now my being “ugly” on the other hand, don’t particularly serve any useful purpose.
It’s just a feature. :rolleyes:

Or MSNBC. We're fiercely independent in our ways here.

Yah… I don’t pay that organization much mind either.
Neither is particularly comprehensive in their approach.

I think the Condor is beautiful even up close! Nice shots Julie!

The hotel sounds just fine, though since I have very little restrictions on when we have to travel, I would make it work for the cabin you and Julie had on your previous trip, that sounds awesome.

The pictures of the Canyon at Sunset are spectacular. I try to get the same sort of light and shade shots of rock features, it's make the pictures so much more vibrant. I love the one where the sun is poking through the tree, so beautiful.

And I can't imagine where your boys get it from. :rolleyes1

Captain’s Log: 23 July 2014.

4:30 p.m.—I forgot to mention that the entrance fee for Grand Canyon National Park is $25 per vehicle, good for 7 days. With that, our annual pass has now saved us $93, so it has officially paid for itself.
Hurray! :yay:

One exhibit that is pretty cool is a large globe on which they show a 10-minute film covering the geology of the canyon.

IMG_6011.JPG
Look kids... Illuminations! :rotfl:

you can head to the Wilderness Lodge. The huge fireplace in the lobby was built in layers to represent the same sedimentary rock you’d find here. There’s even a small exhibit at the Wilderness Lodge that explains it in depth.
Cool! I never knew that.

Why are those ants about to jump off the cliff?

Great pictures of the canyon!

It’s just mesmerizing to stand there and soak it in. One of the most striking aspects of standing at the rim of the canyon is the eerie stillness and silence of the vast space below. It never fails to amaze me—standing there, able to see for miles, soaking in this incredible sight, and the only sound coming from this seemingly infinite space is an occasional gust of wind. It reminds me of the stillness you feel in the air just before a snowstorm.
That's nice and all but who was the first one to spit off the side? :scared1:

Good-looking fella, ain’t he?

IMG_6031.jpg
Wow... he's big!

The Yavapai Lodge doesn’t have that same location. It’s just set in the woods near the market plaza. Rooms here are very basic—2 beds and a bathroom. Cinder block walls. You get a TV, but it barely gets any channels. Wi-fi? Forget it. Nothing fancy here. In other words, it worked just fine for us.
I hope you had cell service at least. If not, what would you do when you were up 5-7 times a night with Drew? :rolleyes1

And then Scotty happens.

IMG_6061.jpg
It' about time he happened! :lmao:

Stunning!

Oh yea... I almost forgot this:

There are just no words for this.

{putting this pic in the 'save' folder}

All caught up and WOW..... Thanks for the ride.

The canyon is stunning. I hope one day I can hike in your footsteps to see the beauty with my own eyes.

I really have to check my phone pictures from my trip to Vegas, I did get a picture of the Hoover Dam but not sure what else I may have caught.

Poor baby Drew sitting on the floor but smiling away. :goodvibes

You know he is plotting at what time he will be up at night......

Those pictures are just stunning. I think I might have to replace my Disney jar with a Grand Canyon jar ;)

Are you allowed to say that here?? :rotfl:

YAYAYAYAYAY! :banana::banana::banana:

$13 saved so far!

I knew that! But for some reason I think the Grand Canyon might be just a tad more impressive!

That Wilderness Lodge lobby is fairly impressive, too.

Captive audience. Nothing wrong with cinder blocks.

National Park accommodations are typically bare-bones. I don't see anything wrong with that. The parks are the attraction, and typically you're a long way from civilization.

AWWWWWW! That's all kind of baby cute!

:goodvibes

Got it!

Sort of! :rolleyes1

Oh, you're just saying that.

Love all these pictures! They are wonderful! I can only imagine how spectacular it is in person.

It really is. A must-see, for sure.

Absolutely phenomenal photos. I guess the real Grand Canyon is a teensy bit more impressive than the diorama in the Disneyland Railroad, huh?

Looking forward to more TR!

Well, to be fair, I didn't view the Grand Canyon while riding in a train. So it's not really apples-to-apples. ;)

Wow. I knew I was behind, seriously behind but wow.

I am just in awe. Bryce. Zion. Grand Canyon.

Sigh.

They really are amazing places.

SO much to comment on but I am so behind it is almost impossible to do so.

Believe me, I know that feeling. The days get busy and then it feels like everyone posts 3 updates at once! I understand the ebb and flow of DIS time.

I love love love how your family is embracing the outdoors.

Me too! :goodvibes Not that we gave the kids any choice about it. :rotfl2:

What a magical evening!

::yes::

Glad you let those kids swim, that was one miserably hot sounding day there and oh my, that has to be the nicest Hampton I've ever seen.

We definitely needed pool time that day. Sometimes you need to kick back and cool off. And the Hampton Inn was great!

UGH on the Drew Diaper disaster in the car.

:sad2:

Glad the food at the Grand Canyon was livable, I was definitely :rotfl2: at the hiking warnings.

I'm glad the food didn't make us re-enact the hiking warnings.:rotfl:

Does baby Drew every cry? Like ever?! He always looks so happy and giggly.

Lots of people say that. I always offer to let them borrow him for a week. :thumbsup2

I actually think that haze makes it look so beautiful and almost fake looking. Like a painting almost.

Oh, that's just bad photoshopping.:rotfl2:

Ok I was totally not expecting to see a man barfing in the Grand Canyon, but it definitely gets the point across:thumbsup2

It certainly is memorable!

I've never experienced a snowstorm but it sounds eerie.

Never?? I found a bucket list item for you!

It gets very quiet outside. And still. I guess it is a little eerie.

Wow, that condor! Ugly and amazing at the same time.

Definitely better in flight.

So much multitasking in your picture. Drinking from a boot, pinky extended (super high class, BTW) and holding baby Drew. Remarkable!

Hey, this ain't my first rodeo. It's kid #4! We can keep things classy around here!

Sorry I've been slow to get to responses and the next update. Work, meetings, classes, and holidays have been interrupting my normal DIS time.

If I'd have actually seen it when you did it... :rolleyes1

Thank goodness for small favors.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Unfortunately, mine was empty.:(

The Grand Canyon looks beautiful in the pictures. I can only imagine how amazing it is in person. I'm glad you gave the kids an opportunity to see it.

Thanks! We both felt like this is one of those things we wanted to make sure they saw at some point in their lifetimes.

The hotel seems adequate to me. Anything to give you a couple of nights/days to explore the grand canyon should do just fine! :thumbsup2

Exactly. All you need is 2 beds and a bathroom. Nobody's expecting the Ritz this far away from civilization.

Actually, that's probably not true, given our generation's entitlement issues. But nobody SHOULD be expecting the Ritz.:thumbsup2

That about sums it up pretty nicely. :rotfl2:

My brother posted that chart on Facebook and I've been quoting it on a daily basis since then. :rotfl:

Didn’t know about their level of smarts but that’s interesting to learn.
Here I was talking just about the “ugly” serving a purpose as opposed to the whole bird.

It’s the bald head that spoils their appearance, but if they had feathers there it’d cause problems. Being as they prefer to feast of on the expired (so to speak), and carcasses tend to be – shall we say – a bit messy. Larger "opportunities" would be particularly troublesome as getting to the “good stuff” kind’a requires that they get deep into their work (if you take my meaning). Under those conditions, feathers anywhere near their beaks would constantly be covered in some pretty nasty and potentially septic goo. And because of the location they’d be tough to clean as well. Thus an adaptation to purposely be “ugly” serves the critter as a protection from bio-hazards.

Ain't nature clever?

Very interesting stuff. Seems like they're built to do exactly what they're supposed to do.

Now my being “ugly” on the other hand, don’t particularly serve any useful purpose.
It’s just a feature. :rolleyes:

I prefer the terms "weathered" or "experienced".:rolleyes1

Yah… I don’t pay that organization much mind either.
Neither is particularly comprehensive in their approach.

Just about everyone has their biases. I'd prefer the major news organizations just be up front and honest about them.

Well, your Mother did warn you that your face could freeze that way...

"My teacher says real beauty is found on the inside."
"Oh, that's just something ugly people say."

I think the Condor is beautiful even up close! Nice shots Julie!

We were so thrilled they were actually in focus! Sometimes we have issues with that. :rolleyes1

The hotel sounds just fine, though since I have very little restrictions on when we have to travel, I would make it work for the cabin you and Julie had on your previous trip, that sounds awesome.

The cabin is also bare-bones. But being that close to the rim was really cool. We loved walking outside at night to see the stars along the Rim Trail. Just make sure you book it well in advance!

The pictures of the Canyon at Sunset are spectacular. I try to get the same sort of light and shade shots of rock features, it's make the pictures so much more vibrant. I love the one where the sun is poking through the tree, so beautiful.

:thanks: Sometimes the best sunset shots are taken looking away from the sun!

And I can't imagine where your boys get it from. :rolleyes1

Probably Julie. She's a weirdo.

Nice to know it wasn't a waste!

Look kids... Illuminations! :rotfl:

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

This is much different...I can actually see what's on this globe.:rolleyes1

Cool! I never knew that.

Check it out sometime!

Why are those ants about to jump off the cliff?

Maybe they're lemmings.

Great pictures of the canyon!

:thanks:

That's nice and all but who was the first one to spit off the side? :scared1:

:wave2: I mean, come on. Was there any doubt?

Wow... he's big!

And cute! Wait, that's not right.

I hope you had cell service at least. If not, what would you do when you were up 5-7 times a night with Drew? :rolleyes1

Mostly practice creative profanity.

It' about time he happened! :lmao:

I know, it's been a long wait!

Stunning!

I agree! :goodvibes

Oh yea... I almost forgot this:

There are just no words for this.

{putting this pic in the 'save' folder}

Oh, it's not as bad as that whip photo.

All caught up and WOW..... Thanks for the ride.

Welcome back Pat! Hope you had a great time in DL.

The canyon is stunning. I hope one day I can hike in your footsteps to see the beauty with my own eyes.

Make it happen! So worth the trip.

I really have to check my phone pictures from my trip to Vegas, I did get a picture of the Hoover Dam but not sure what else I may have caught.

Tell me you got a few dam pictures, at least!

Poor baby Drew sitting on the floor but smiling away. :goodvibes

You know he is plotting at what time he will be up at night......

What a little punk!

I was checking in to see if you had updated and I realized that I hadn't commented on the last update and I know can't remember what I wanted to say. :rotfl:

Captain’s Log: Thursday, 24 July 2014.

12:32 a.m.—Crying baby. Move along. Nothing to see here.

4: 12 a.m.—Crying baby. Move along. Nothing to see here.

6:28 a.m.—The day begins, as it must, with the kids having a pillow fight.

IMG_0594%255B1%255D.JPG

Somewhere along the way, Sarah said, “Didn’t you know it’s National Whack Scotty With A Pillow Day?” So naturally, I promptly grab a pillow and whack Scotty with it. Hey, I’m all about upholding traditions.

7:14 a.m.—We’re off fairly early. For one thing, the baby keeps waking us up, so if we’re not getting any sleep, we might as well go out and do something. And for another, we’re interested in beating the crowds. The road west of the Grand Canyon Village is shuttle-bus only. No private vehicles. It extends west along the rim for several miles and reaches several overlooks, finishing at Hermit’s Rest. The idea here is that the earlier we get to the bus stop, the less we’ll have to worry about crowded buses.

It works like a charm. The Parking Space Gods allow us a space right on the main drag in front of the Bright Angel Lodge, just a few feet from the shuttle stop. Hardly anyone is there. We climb onto a virtually empty bus. Score another one for Rope Drop!

7:28 a.m.—Our original plan was to ride all the way to the end and then work our way back, but the bus driver says they only make limited stops on the return trip at 3 overlooks. So we hop out at Mohave Point to check out the view, since we wouldn’t be able to see it on the way back. Let’s see what’s out there.

Thankfully, the air appears a bit clearer today. And we’re getting some cool light patterns from the clouds.

IMG_6135.JPG

Scotty would like you to know that he is jawsome.

IMG_6137.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

Well, hello there.

IMG_0544.jpg

Scotty is getting in on the selfie thing. Sigh. Just by being Scotty, his are funnier than Sarah’s:

P1040597.JPG

Here you can see a piece of the Colorado River below. Along with cool shadows on the cliffs.

IMG_6141.JPG

A tour bus for the disabled pulls into the overlook and a gentleman in a wheelchair is helped out. As he rolls away, we convince the bus driver to take a family picture here. We get ourselves arranged, and I think we’ve finally got it. This is the leader in the clubhouse for the Christmas card picture! We have everything:

All family smiling and facing the camera: check.

Photo composed so you can actually see where we are: check.

Spectacular scenery in background: check.

Dramatic drop-off behind us, giving the appearance of danger and adventure: check.

Bus driver’s Red Bull can conspicuously displayed: check.

IMG_6151.JPG

Wait, what? Well, it wouldn’t be one of our family pictures if there wasn’t something just a bit off. Usually, that means either me or Scotty. But you know what? This picture is still the leader in the clubhouse.

One more from this spot: a panoramic from Sarah.

IMG_0537.JPG

7:45 a.m.—We hop on another bus and continue towards Hermit’s Rest. This bus driver is a little chattier, and has a great factoid for us.

“Just to give you an idea of the size of the Grand Canyon,” he begins. “Is everyone familiar with the Grand Canyon Skywalk?”

We all nod. The Skywalk is that see-through observation point you may have heard about, built on Indian Reservation land towards the west end of the canyon, closer to the Nevada border. Visitors can walk out over the canyon and see directly below, through the acrylic sidewalk. In other words, mickeystoontown would love it.

Anyway, the bus driver points off in the distance. “See those mountain peaks out there?” he asks. We look, and way off to the west we can see the shadowy outlines of a mountain range on the horizon. He identifies the mountain range. “Those mountains are about a hundred miles from here,” he says. “That’s about halfway to the Skywalk.”

Our jaws drop. As I keep saying, we’re only seeing a tiny piece of this geological wonder.

8:08 a.m.—We’ve reached Hermit’s Rest. We try to commemorate this achievement, but Drew is more interested in Sarah’s iPod than he is in posing for pictures.

IMG_6158.JPG

Hermit’s Rest is another Mary Colter creation, meant to be an outpost for visitors to rest and enjoy the views. It resembles…well, nothing, really. It’s a very unique structure.

IMG_6163.JPG

IMG_6162.JPG

IMG_6161.JPG

We hang out here for a while. The kids are mostly interested in the items in the gift shop: Sarah is looking at retro postcards to decorate her room, Dave is looking at patches for his bookbag, and Scotty is looking at pins, similar to what you’d find at Disney parks. I’m looking at the price tags and hoping not to have an aneurysm.

You’ll never believe this, but Dave needed a bathroom break here as well.

8:27 a.m.—Back on the bus, heading east. Our next stop is Pima Point. More spectacular views, yadda yadda yadda.

IMG_6165.JPG

IMG_6170.JPG

Somewhere along the way, we run in to a nice family from Denmark and trade some more family pictures:

IMG_6174.JPG

9:00 a.m.—We ride over to Hopi Point and hop out again. The plan now is to hike the rest of the way back to the Grand Canyon Village along the Rim Trail. The Rim Trail is exactly what it sounds like: a paved trail meandering along the rim of the canyon. It’s mostly flat (but not entirely), and was the best option for us to do any hiking at all in the park with small children. As the warning signs showed, doing any climbing may result in suddenly removing our shirts and vomiting.

IMG_6176.JPG

IMG_6178.JPG

9:30 a.m.—The kids, as usual, are racing ahead, wanting to lead the way on the hike.

IMG_6185.jpg

Meanwhile, someone runs into a bit of trouble. You just can’t take me anywhere.

IMG_6187.JPG

Here’s the view without idiots:

IMG_6188.JPG

And with cuter people:

IMG_6190.JPG

10:15 a.m.—We round a corner and are afforded views of the Grand Canyon Village and Bright Angel Trail, one of the main trails that leads hikers down to the bottom of the canyon, where you can spend the night at Phantom Ranch, near the shores of the Colorado. For Julie and me, this is a Bucket List item. Someday…

Although I’m not looking forward to that climb out.

10:38 a.m.—Here’s another cool set of photos that show off the size of the canyon. This one is zoomed in, showing a bend in the Bright Angel trail. See the hikers down there?

IMG_6198.JPG

Now here we are zoomed out, with the Grand Canyon Village in view on the rim of the canyon. That same bend in the trail is down towards the lower left of the photo.

IMG_6202.JPG

11:00 a.m.—Still hiking. This seems like a good place to take a break. I’ll leave you with a remarkable spot we found. Even in the most desolate places, life seems to find a way.

IMG_6205.jpg

Coming Up Next: Sick of the Grand Canyon yet?

Who needs an alarm clock when you have Drew with you? He was just making sure that you were up and at 'em early. ;)

Oh yeah, right, I'd really love to go on a piece of clear acrylic that dangled out over the Grand Canyon. Not! I've seen pictures of that thing and I say "no way, no how!" I couldn't even tolerate the glass walls in what used to be the Virgin MegaStore at DTD.

I like the potential Christmas card photo. If you could photoshop out the Red Bull can it'd be perfecto. I do think that you should work in the picture of you "falling" somewhere the card though. It's hilarious!

The views from each of the stops are absolutely stunning and I think that's very appropriate that the Psalms verse is posted in that exact spot.

The clouds made for some very interesting pictures of the canyon.

You're right you just can't even grasp the vastness of such a wonder. And I am another which will not be standing on the sheet of plexiglass over the canyon! :scared:

I'm sure that Julie's many skills include Photoshop and that can of Red Bull will be nothing to exclude. I even know how to get rid of it. Otherwise, it's a great picture.

Those shots that show the scope of the canyon with the zoom of the trail and the Grand Canyon Village were fairly amazing! You illustrated your point quite well. You just can't get the scope of it from pictures! We are going to have to plan a trip there!

Beautiful photos. Love the play of the light and all the variations of the colors.

I for one would be on that sky walk the first chance I got. DH would be about a mike away, b/c he would freak out that I was on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter