The Dry Heat Expedition (Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Disneyland)--UPDATE 6/12 (KSC and DTD)

Sometimes. Randomly. Occasionally? You've met my kids. You know how busy they keep me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, come on. Ryder practically polices himself.

:rotfl2: Ok, sorry. I couldn't say that with a straight face.

Great.

Just in case she disagrees, you have my email address. FreezinRafiki's Ace Rendering Technology is always at your disposal for any of your Magic Kingdom Crane removal and New For The 2014 Holiday Season! RedBull can removal needs.

Awesome! I may just take you up on that one.:thumbsup2 F.A.R.T. has never let me down before.

Crap, I'll have to think of something else.

The dog ate your homework?

You mean these?

2-IMG_2152.JPG

1-IMG_2161.JPG

::yes:::thumbsup2

Pukeus ad Nauseam :thumbsup2

Latin Indians?:confused3

It took a while for our young'en to grow out of that stage as well.
I'd say it was up until about the 18 month mark before he no longer felt the need to return about a third of each and every meal. Needing something to catch these offerings, for a good while there a bib was simply an integral part of every outfit we dressed him in.
:lmao:

I knew it would come with the territory. You just get used to your shoulder constantly smelling like baby vomit after a while.

I'm surprised you haven't come and given your nemesis grief on my TR for our mega meet up.

Sounds like Tim deserves it. His family really tortured you throughout the MK day.

You mean these?

2-IMG_2152.JPG

1-IMG_2161.JPG

Think of all the therapy you are going to have to pay. They may be smiling on the outside, but panicking on the inside.

Did the observation tower there once at my peak of heights phobia. After about 5 minutes with my back plastered against the inner wall, I left my friends and told them I will wait for them outside. On the ground!

Captain’s Log: Thursday, 24 July 2014.

IMG_6205.jpg

Coming Up Next: Sick of the Grand Canyon yet?

COOL! Gotta love Mother Nature!

So I have been waiting for an update! How the heck did I MISS this!

OK random comments since I have to get ready for work:

Two great Christmas card options. Did you pick one of them????

I think Sarah is going to drop Drew in that one picture. Obviously he recovered. :lmao:

Spectacular views - but that is nothing new. And I love what a great photographer Sarah is becoming!

Scotty's shirt is pretty awesome...I mean jawsome.

Hermit's whatever - LOVE IT! And I love that psalm! That place is so cool.

I really enjoyed all the cool places you saw in this update!

Think of all the therapy you are going to have to pay. They may be smiling on the outside, but panicking on the inside.

Did the observation tower there once at my peak of heights phobia. After about 5 minutes with my back plastered against the inner wall, I left my friends and told them I will wait for them outside. On the ground!

I rode the elevator up the John Hancock Tower with Barry and family. Barry started jumping up and down halfway through the ride.

COOL! Gotta love Mother Nature!

So I have been waiting for an update! How the heck did I MISS this!

Beats me. Obviously, you should be checking in here multiple times per day.:rolleyes1

OK random comments since I have to get ready for work:

Two great Christmas card options. Did you pick one of them????

Not yet! Still haven't ordered the cards. We'll get there...eventually. Maybe by Easter.

I think Sarah is going to drop Drew in that one picture. Obviously he recovered. :lmao:

Once you see how heavy he is, you'll understand!

Spectacular views - but that is nothing new. And I love what a great photographer Sarah is becoming!

Scotty's shirt is pretty awesome...I mean jawsome.

:thumbsup2

Hermit's whatever - LOVE IT! And I love that psalm! That place is so cool.

Hermit's Rest. A neat spot. Makes you feel like you're at the edge of the wilderness. Which you are.

I really enjoyed all the cool places you saw in this update!

:goodvibes

I rode the elevator up the John Hancock Tower with Barry and family. Barry started jumping up and down halfway through the ride.

Reminds me of a few instances from my youth. I had friends who went off to school down in the capitol. They'd do similar things to friends and even unsuspecting folks in the dorm elevators. The best example for causing mayhem and a few conniptions was to switch the interior lights off and then start slam-dancing until the car reach its destination. The term they came up for this "adventure" was "The Hell-evator".

Reminds me of a few instances from my youth. I had friends who went off to school down in the capitol. They'd do similar things to friends and even unsuspecting folks in the dorm elevators. The best example for causing mayhem and a few conniptions was to switch the interior lights off and then start slam-dancing until the car reach its destination. The term they came up for this "adventure" was "The Hell-evator".

If those are your friends, I'd hate to meet your enemies. :scared:

And don't forget - I was wearing my Twilight Zone Tower of Terror shirt at the time. Immersive Theming! :thumbsup2

How could I forget? :sad2:

Captain’s Log: Thursday, 24 July 2014.

11:15 a.m.—Sarah has found another fun app to play with on her iPod. You’ve already seen the panoramic photos. Now she has one that can combine photos fairly seamlessly. It takes a few tries, but soon we’re all getting a kick out of this one. You’re welcome.

IMG_0551.JPG

11:30 a.m.—We’ve finally made it back to the Grand Canyon Village. As we walk past the shuttle bus stop, we note that it is now packed to the gills with tourists. You’d easily have to wait for 2-3 buses to arrive before you could board one now. Get out of bed early, folks. It’s much more fun to have the canyon to yourself as you hike.

The Rim Trail is a great one for the family. For the most part, it’s not steep. And it is paved. There are several spots where you can stand alone at an overlook, savoring the views and that incredible stillness below, amazed at how such a vast space can be so—

“We get it, Dad, it’s really quiet,” Sarah says. Ok, so maybe I’ve mentioned this once or twice along the way.

Any further smart-alecky comments are drowned out by a loud rumble. We hustle up the sidewalk to get a glimpse of the arrival of the Grand Canyon Railway train.

IMG_6210.JPG

This train makes daily trips from the town of Williams, AZ, giving travelers a way to see the canyon for a few hours without having to worry about making arrangements to stay in the middle of nowhere. The downside is that it’s fairly pricy and you only get a few hours to enjoy the park.

11:35 a.m.—We’re standing outside the Bright Angel Lodge, enjoying the views just before lunch. Across the way is El Tovar, the historic flagship hotel of the park. It’s the most expensive place to stay inside the park grounds.

IMG_6212.JPG

Below we can see the Bright Angel Trail descending to the canyon floor. You can see the trail here as it disappears over the edge of the canyon way down below.

IMG_6214.jpg

11:40 a.m.—We’re actually doing a sit-down meal for lunch. Julie and I wanted to eat at the Bright Angel Restaurant (they’re very original with their names at this place) and we figured we had a better chance of getting in for lunch than dinner. It’s not that the food is anything truly special, but Julie and I ate here once on our honeymoon and again on our 10th anniversary trip, so it’s just a place with fond memories for us. After all the hiking, it’s good to get off our feet and recharge.

IMG_6218.JPG

Remember what I said about the food not being memorable? I can’t even remember what I ordered. Chicken strips, maybe? I know it wasn’t a burger, because I try to stay away from red meat as much as possible.

12:30 p.m.—After lunch, we start goofing off. At this point, we’ve been to just about every overlook on the South Rim. So it’s time for Scotty’s favorite part of the trip: wandering through the gift shop so he can beg us to buy stuff that will get lost or collect dust in his room.

Once we finally tear ourselves away from the useless trinkets in there, we take our time wandering through the village. Julie and I convince Sarah to take a picture of just the 2 of us. This one is my current FB picture:

IMG_6221.JPG

IMG_6224.JPG

12:48 p.m.—We wander over to El Tovar, just to see what it looks like. It’s a cool building, very rustic and historic. It gives off a vibe of the old-world elite, if they had to “rough it” for a day. We rest on the back porch and enjoy the swings.

IMG_6229.JPG

1:30 p.m.—We’re back at the main visitor center. The kids have been diligently filling out their Junior Ranger workbooks, so we’re now here for the final achievement: attending another ranger talk. This one is about the California condor and the re-population program the National Park Service is running. Unfortunately, it’s Baby Drew’s nap time, and I’m elected to rock him to sleep. So I don’t get to listen to the park ranger. I head over to a bench near the gift shop, where I get to hear a different talk.

As I gently rock Baby Drew to sleep, an older gentleman and his—wife? Girlfriend?—approach and sit on a bench near me. This man—I’ll call him Eeyore—thereupon proceeds to start moaning and complaining about his station in life, how no one in his life appreciates him, how is job is awful, he doesn’t get any support, how his wife (who I’m assuming is sitting there taking this) doesn’t @#$%@#$ respect him, and on and on and on. With many “colorful metaphors” to spice up the sentences. I really want to get up and move, but the baby is stirring and I’m worried about waking him up.

Eeyore goes on and on and on, and the whole time I’m thinking: you’re sitting near one of the great natural wonders in all of the earth. Get over yourself!

Eventually, Julie and the kids make their way over and rescue me, and the kids have shiny new Grand Canyon Junior Ranger badges pinned to their shirts. So I hope my taking one for the team there was worth it.

2:30 p.m.—5:30 p.m.—We do a whole lot of nothing the rest of the afternoon. We wander some gift shops. We go back to the room to unload bags and regroup. Then we head over to the Maswik Lodge, back in the village, to get some dinner at the cafeteria there. I stick with my Italian kick and get a heaping plate of surprisingly good meat lasagna. I can’t remember what everyone else had, but I know Baby Drew tried to steal Dave’s chicken fingers as they came out of the fryer.

IMG_0598%255B1%255D.JPG

6:40 p.m.—We catch the shuttle at the main visitor center to head to Yaki Point. This is another overlook that is reachable by shuttle bus only. It’s also a fantastic place to watch the sunset. Not only can you get some beautiful photos here, but the shuttle bus restriction means it’s usually less crowded than some of the other viewpoints. Unfortunately, we still have cloud cover to deal with, so we once again don’t get the long shadows as the sun lights up the rocks.

Luckily, Julie and I had a camera with us in 2008, so here’s what Yaki Point looked like back then:

Arizona167.JPG

7:27 p.m.—As it is, the sun is peeking through the clouds a bit. So we’re hoping to get some good colors in the sky this time around.

Lewis (or is it Clark?) is back to help us orient ourselves.

IMG_6238.JPG

Ever so briefly, the sun breaks through and starts to light up the canyon walls.

IMG_6239.JPG

IMG_6242.JPG

IMG_6265.JPG

IMG_6259.jpg

IMG_6273.JPG

Once again, pick an adjective. It’s beautiful, amazing, mesmerizing…we are fortunate to be able to stand here and witness this. Right, boys?

Uh, boys?

IMG_6274.jpg

Sigh. I guess they’re not quite as impressed as I am. We take more pictures, trying to get good shots of the colors reflected on the clouds…

IMG_6280.JPG

…and then Scotty happens.

Scotty asks to be allowed to press the shutter on the camera. It’s on a long exposure to try and get different colors and shadows to show up in the photo. And thus, Scotty starts trying to photo-bomb his own picture.

He presses the shutter and then tries to jump in front of the camera before the exposure ends. He has a few false starts, but in the end, persistence pays off, and he strikes gold:

IMG_6302.JPG

And just for good measure:

IMG_6304.JPG

Eventually, that gets old. And so, apparently, does the sunset.

IMG_6310.JPG

Well, at least I still have one other son who might appreciate these things. I haven’t screwed up Drew yet, right? What do you think of the sunset, Drew? Amazing, right?

IMG_6314.jpg

Never mind.

Coming Up Next: So long to the Grand Canyon…but we’re not done with Arizona just yet.

Sounds like a nice afternoon and rope drop really pays off!

We've often talked about doing the train from Williams as a short "midweek weekend" trip. That would be in addition to a full on trip to the Grand Canyon though.

Nice sunset pics despite the cloud cover. It's nice that Scotty can amuse himself with the camera, and that digital pictures don't cost anything (the way that actual film used to.)

11:15 a.m.—Sarah has found another fun app to play with on her iPod. You’ve already seen the panoramic photos. Now she has one that can combine photos fairly seamlessly. It takes a few tries, but soon we’re all getting a kick out of this one. You’re welcome.

IMG_0551.JPG

:faint: No really - that picture makes me feel just dizzy enough that I feel like I could just :faint: Very cool, but totally :faint:

I know it wasn’t a burger, because I try to stay away from red meat as much as possible.

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

In what life?????

What do you think of the sunset, Drew? Amazing, right?

IMG_6314.jpg

Never mind.

Better luck next time! :rotfl2:

Great update! Such a bonus since I got to read two of your updates in ONE day! Wowsa! :cool1:

Love the Grand Canyon updates! We really need to get there someday!

So many beautiful pictures.

And great picture of all four kids too! And the one of just the parents is nice as well.

Looking forward to seeing where you go next.

Ahhhhhh..... what a beautiful day. No one fell off a cliff, a nice red bull drinking bus driver took a nice picture and you made the sunset.

I would say a perfect day!!! :goodvibes

You're stealing a page out of my book! I usually prefer to do the sit down meals at lunch on vacation. Gets you off of your feet and out of the heat for a while. And you get to avoid the dinner crowds while still enjoying those restaurants.

And I need to go look for Fed's BS flag. Chicken strips my ... :rolleyes1

Way to take one for the team and handle nap time for Drew while everyone else learned about the California Condor. You could have really put that whiner in his place. When he started complaining about being underappreciated, you could have told him you work for the DOT and completely shut him down! :rotfl:

IMG_0551.JPG
So you were able to mash up a picture of your skinny white legs with one of Sarah standing at the edge of the rim? Cool! (These are the types of comments you don't get when I fall behind on TR.)

As we walk past the shuttle bus stop, we note that it is now packed to the gills with tourists. You’d easily have to wait for 2-3 buses to arrive before you could board one now.
Insert "Epcot after Illuminations" joke here.

I know it wasn’t a burger, because I try to stay away from red meat as much as possible.
Does that mean you ordered it well done, so it was more of black (or really, really dark grey) than red?

As I gently rock Baby Drew to sleep, an older gentleman and his—wife? Girlfriend?—approach and sit on a bench near me. This man—I’ll call him Eeyore—thereupon proceeds to start moaning and complaining about his station in life, how no one in his life appreciates him, how is job is awful, he doesn’t get any support, how his wife (who I’m assuming is sitting there taking this) doesn’t @#$%@#$ respect him, and on and on and on. With many “colorful metaphors” to spice up the sentences. I really want to get up and move, but the baby is stirring and I’m worried about waking him up.
"And do you know how much money we paid to come here?! You're going to have fun - or else!" Wow, it's just like a Disney Trip!

Lewis (or is it Clark?) is back to help us orient ourselves.

IMG_6238.JPG
Pullest mine finger - from other yonder!

Sigh. I guess they’re not quite as impressed as I am.
That's my biggest fear about our trip next summer. Mountains, deserts, unspoiled wilderness...and the kid's don't care.

Well, at least I still have one other son who might appreciate these things. I haven’t screwed up Drew yet, right? What do you think of the sunset, Drew? Amazing, right?
You can tell him all about it at 1:37am. And at 3:09am. And at 5:22am. And...

We’ve finally made it back to the Grand Canyon Village. As we walk past the shuttle bus stop, we note that it is now packed to the gills with tourists. You’d easily have to wait for 2-3 buses to arrive before you could board one now.

Ahhh… that’s more Disney like.
Another vindication for the concept of Rope Drop.
(and for driving yourself when it’s allowed)

“We get it, Dad, it’s really quiet,” Sarah says. Ok, so maybe I’ve mentioned this once or twice along the way.

Mention it again, they’re starting to put up a struggle…
You got ‘em on the ropes now.

Any further smart-alecky comments are drowned out by a loud rumble.

So much for the stillness and pervasive quite

We hustle up the sidewalk to get a glimpse of the arrival of the Grand Canyon Railway train.

I’m torn on that one.
I love being on trains about as much as ships, but staying onsite gave you more time to explore.
The price is probably what will determine the choice.

Oh, who am I kidding…
We ain’t getting out there any time soon.

We’re standing outside the Bright Angel Lodge, enjoying the views just before lunch. Across the way is El Tovar, the historic flagship hotel of the park. It’s the most expensive place to stay inside the park grounds.

So it’s like the Grand Floridian…
I can walk through the lobby if I’d like but that’s about the extent of it.

Below we can see the Bright Angel Trail descending to the canyon floor. You can see the trail here as it disappears over the edge of the canyon way down below.

Watch that next step…

We’re actually doing a sit-down meal for lunch. Julie and I wanted to eat at the Bright Angel Restaurant (they’re very original with their names at this place)

Dark Angle Restaurant just didn’t pull in the masses, so they went with Plan-B

Remember what I said about the food not being memorable? I can’t even remember what I ordered. Chicken strips, maybe?

You forgot the Mac-n-Cheese. I know you must of had that along with the chicken.

Oh, and while my young’en is up in NYC this week, how ‘bout I get him to buy you a bridge or two. Just put the money on a prepaid debit card and send it to me. I’ll see that it gets to where it belongs.

After lunch, we start goofing off.

Started?

At this point, we’ve been to just about every overlook on the South Rim. So it’s time for Scotty’s favorite part of the trip: wandering through the gift shop so he can beg us to buy stuff that will get lost or collect dust in his room.

The grand aspiration of all gift shop brick-a-brack…
to collect dust somewhere else.

Julie and I convince Sarah to take a picture of just the 2 of us.

Wann’a bet that this one is framed correctly?

This one is my current FB picture:

Nice choice there.

Unfortunately, it’s Baby Drew’s nap time, and I’m elected to rock him to sleep. So I don’t get to listen to the park ranger.

Dang the luck.

This man—I’ll call him Eeyore—thereupon proceeds to start moaning and complaining about his station in life…

Condor repopulation is sounding more enthralling by the moment.

Once again, pick an adjective. It’s beautiful, amazing, mesmerizing…we are fortunate to be able to stand here and witness this. Right, boys?

Uh, boys?

Sigh. I guess they’re not quite as impressed as I am.

And you were expecting…

Never mind.

0 for 3.
In “Dad” terms that’s actually equivalent to batting 1000.

Just wanted you to know, this is my favorite page so far.

I have a 21" monitor and slow internet at work. So this page takes awhile to load with all the pictures.

As it loads, I get a ... and then Scotty happen.. moment every time.

Sounds like a nice afternoon and rope drop really pays off!

I never liked the phrase "the early bird gets the worm". I mean, who wants worms? But the idea is correct.

We've often talked about doing the train from Williams as a short "midweek weekend" trip. That would be in addition to a full on trip to the Grand Canyon though.

I'm sure the train is really neat. The downsides are the price and limited time in the park. That's what kept us from seriously considering it.

Nice sunset pics despite the cloud cover. It's nice that Scotty can amuse himself with the camera, and that digital pictures don't cost anything (the way that actual film used to.)

That really revolutionized picture-taking, didn't it? We wouldn't have thought it was nearly as funny if it was an old-fashioned 36-exposure roll.

:faint: No really - that picture makes me feel just dizzy enough that I feel like I could just :faint: Very cool, but totally :faint:

:stir:

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

In what life?????

Seriously, I think I did get chicken strips here. I probably should have ordered a burger.

Better luck next time! :rotfl2:

Great update! Such a bonus since I got to read two of your updates in ONE day! Wowsa! :cool1:

Must have been a slow day at work! :rotfl2:

Love the Grand Canyon updates! We really need to get there someday!

::yes::

So many beautiful pictures.

:thanks:

And great picture of all four kids too! And the one of just the parents is nice as well.

There aren't too many moments where we get to be by ourselves, so we have to fake it when we can.

Looking forward to seeing where you go next.

Hope it's not too much of a letdown.

Ahhhhhh..... what a beautiful day. No one fell off a cliff, a nice red bull drinking bus driver took a nice picture and you made the sunset.

I would say a perfect day!!! :goodvibes

The "no one fell off a cliff" part is the important part there.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter