The Dry Heat Expedition (Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Disneyland)--UPDATE 6/12 (KSC and DTD)

That would be me! I could barely take pictures from the Bryce Overlook! :eek:

Well, at least you went out there and took some anyway!

Yea, like I am going to walk over that. Bridges = DEATH!

Says the guy who swims with sharks. :sad2:

Too bad for the haze but the pictures still look good. The ones of the kids in the trees are keepers. Not necessarily the kids but the pictures at least.

Thanks! I guess we'll keep them around for a few more days.

Why, what have you heard? :scared:

Just that somebody has a reservation (for now) at the Old Faithful Inn sometime in late June... :rolleyes1

Captain’s Log: 23 July 2014.

4:30 p.m.—I forgot to mention that the entrance fee for Grand Canyon National Park is $25 per vehicle, good for 7 days. With that, our annual pass has now saved us $93, so it has officially paid for itself.

We’re inside the main visitor center at Mather Point. It’s actually one of several buildings here including several shops, park ranger headquarters, etc. The visitor center is a large building, but inside there aren’t actually very many exhibits. So we end up not spending a whole lot of time here. One exhibit that is pretty cool is a large globe on which they show a 10-minute film covering the geology of the canyon.

IMG_6011.JPG

If you’d like to know more about the different geographic layers of rock lining the Grand Canyon but can’t bear the thought of skipping a Disney trip in order to visit, you can head to the Wilderness Lodge. The huge fireplace in the lobby was built in layers to represent the same sedimentary rock you’d find here. There’s even a small exhibit at the Wilderness Lodge that explains it in depth.

4:40 p.m.—Enough of that “learning” crap. Let’s see some pretty pictures! Even with the haze and cloud cover, a few rays of sun are peeking through once we reach the Mather Point overlook. You can start to see the gorgeous colors in the canyon here.

IMG_6014.JPG

Drew’s-Eye-View:

IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_6020.JPG

I like this one a lot:

IMG_6021.JPG

I also like taking pictures like this, where you can see people at the overlook. This really gives you a sense of the scale of the Grand Canyon. Keep in mind that the accessible portion of the park is just a piece of the entire canyon.

IMG_6024.JPG

It’s just mesmerizing to stand there and soak it in. One of the most striking aspects of standing at the rim of the canyon is the eerie stillness and silence of the vast space below. It never fails to amaze me—standing there, able to see for miles, soaking in this incredible sight, and the only sound coming from this seemingly infinite space is an occasional gust of wind. It reminds me of the stillness you feel in the air just before a snowstorm.

4:47 p.m.—The stillness is momentarily broken by the arrival of a California condor, which happens to swoop in for a landing right in front of Julie and her camera. He then proceeds to pose for a photo shoot.

IMG_6027.JPG

Good-looking fella, ain’t he?

IMG_6031.jpg

IMG_6033.JPG

Ok, maybe they look better when they’re soaring through the air. At a distance.

Anyway, where were we? Oh, right, mesmerizing views:

IMG_6042.JPG

And selfies.

IMG_0488.jpg

5:10 p.m.—We head back to the van and drive a short distance over to Market Plaza, part of the Grand Canyon Village. For the next two nights, we will be staying at the Yavapai Lodge, which is part of the group of hotels available inside the park. Given how late I had planned the trip, we were lucky to be here.

When I had first researched this trip, I went straight to the reservations page for the Grand Canyon lodges, knowing that space would be limited and I was getting a late start on booking. When I found a room here for 2 nights, I immediately grabbed it and the planned the rest of the trip around those dates.

The Yavapai wasn’t my first choice, but it is one of the more affordable rooms in the park. On our previous trips, Julie and I had been fortunate enough to rent a cabin at the Bright Angel Lodge—our front door was only about 50 feet from the rim. Very cool.

The Yavapai Lodge doesn’t have that same location. It’s just set in the woods near the market plaza. Rooms here are very basic—2 beds and a bathroom. Cinder block walls. You get a TV, but it barely gets any channels. Wi-fi? Forget it. Nothing fancy here. In other words, it worked just fine for us.

The hotel lobby is actually in the same building as the cafeteria, so we figured we’d grab dinner once we had checked in. Like the rooms, the cafeteria here is nothing fancy. But they have a nice variety on the menu, so you’re not stuck with burgers or chicken strips if you want something different. I’ve read complaints about the food, but come on, people—you’re out in the wilderness. You’re expecting Wolfgang Puck?

We find the food surprisingly decent and even more surprisingly affordable. I go with chicken parmesan, and Julie gets a bread bowl filled with chili.

IMG_6046.JPG

Meanwhile, Baby Drew sits on the floor next to our table (couldn’t find a high chair) and makes weird noises while we eat. Which means it’s a normal night.

IMG_6053.JPG

I forget what the kids ate, but I do know that for dessert Dave got a cinnamon roll as big as his face.

IMG_6057.jpg

6:32 p.m.—After dinner, we wander the gift shop a bit. And then Dave happens.

IMG_6060.jpg

And then Scotty happens.

IMG_6061.jpg

If you’d like to know what exactly they’re doing, well…so would I. Honestly, I don’t know where they get that from.

IMG_6063.jpg

7:27 p.m.—We’ve driven over to our hotel room (the lodge consists of several out-buildings), dumped our bags, and then driven back to the Visitor Center. Although Arizona is on Mountain Time, they don’t follow Daylight Savings Time, which means we traveled back in time by an hour when we crossed the border from Utah. So even though Arizona officially claims to be on Mountain Time, in the summer they’re actually the same as Pacific Time. Got that?

Anyway, it gets hard to keep track of important appointments when you’re constantly traveling backwards and forwards in time, but I’d made a note that sunset over the Grand Canyon would be at 7:45 p.m. Mountain/Pacif—uh, Arizona Time. So we’re in a bit of a hurry. Naturally, the walk from the parking lot to Mather Point is about 87 miles (give or take 86.5). Naturally, the baby wants to nurse. And naturally, the place is packed with people who want to see the sunset.

7:32 p.m.—Somehow, the kids and I speed-walk to the overlook and manage to find a halfway-decent viewpoint. It helps that there’s a big rock in the center of the point that we can climb on. Julie takes a few precious minutes to nurse the baby and shut him up so everyone can enjoy the sunset.

7:40 p.m.—Sadly, there’s still quite a bit of cloud cover. One of the best parts of sunset at the Grand Canyon is that when the sun gets low in the sky, it hits the rock walls of the canyon and makes them blaze with color, while also creating some amazing shadows along the valleys and crevasses. The cloud cover means we don’t get as spectacular a light show as we might have seen otherwise. But there’s a little bit of sun peeking through, so we at least get a little taste of the Grand Canyon’s majesty.

IMG_6064.JPG

IMG_6065.JPG

We keep playing with the settings on the camera to try and get different shades of color. The clouds may be muting the sun, but it’s not all bad news. The lower the sun gets, the more the clouds light up with color above.

Some people look at the Grand Canyon and see the forces of erosion taking their toll, as the Colorado River has slowly and relentlessly worked at carving its way through the desert over millions of years. I think it’s more than that, though. I look at this place and see the hand of an artist at work. It’s one of my favorite places, as awe-inspiring now as it was the first time I ever laid eyes on it.

IMG_6066.JPG

IMG_6067.JPG

IMG_6068.JPG

IMG_6090.JPG

IMG_6105.JPG

IMG_6108.JPG

Coming Up Next: Rope Drop in the park. And—hey, is that a family picture that actually turned out well?

I have to read the update, but I was so tempted to post after you posted that you couldn't start here and just throw you all off. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

You know, I would expect that from the DIS Dads...:headache:

But, unlike the DIS Dads, I ONLY thought it and didn't actually do it. :)

What a great update.

The colors are beautiful.

I like the pic of the three oldest kids.

Okay...I like the condor much better when he is soarin' in the sky. That is one UGLY face. Sorry fella!

I don't like chilli, but that looks awfully good right about now.

I am just head over the moon in the love with Baby Drew's smile. It just warms my heart. And I love his Mickey outfit too.

I can't wait until the DIS Dads get on this picture. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Beautiful sunset pictures, Mark.

I hope the kids have a great Halloween.

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures of the canyon (and the sunset)! :thumbsup2 So excited to go visit it someday. And how cool that you had a condor cameo!

Drew is adorable in his Mickey outfit.

Kids will be kids and do things like pretend to drink out of a boot with their pinky in the air!

The sunset pictures are great, it does look like a painting, I can't wait to see it in person! We still have not set a date yet, wait for football schedules Ughhhh.

But, unlike the DIS Dads, I ONLY thought it and didn't actually do it. :)

Thanks for being merciful, instead of annoying. :rotfl:

What a great update.

The colors are beautiful.

It sure is an amazing place!

I like the pic of the three oldest kids.

Okay...I like the condor much better when he is soarin' in the sky. That is one UGLY face. Sorry fella!

Yeah, that's really a face only a mother could love.

I don't like chilli, but that looks awfully good right about now.

It definitely is better in a bread bowl. Then again, a lot of other foods are as well.

I am just head over the moon in the love with Baby Drew's smile. It just warms my heart. And I love his Mickey outfit too.

He is a charmer! But if you could see him at 3 a.m. you might change your tune.

I can't wait until the DIS Dads get on this picture. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I figured it was only a matter of time.

Beautiful sunset pictures, Mark.

I hope the kids have a great Halloween.

They did! But for some reason, their candy keeps disappearing.:confused3

Beautiful pictures Julie!

:goodvibes

Luvin the Grand Canyon pics

:goodvibes

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures of the canyon (and the sunset)! :thumbsup2 So excited to go visit it someday. And how cool that you had a condor cameo!

It was really fortunate! But neat to see. And we really enjoyed watching the sunset.

Drew is adorable in his Mickey outfit.

::yes::

Kids will be kids and do things like pretend to drink out of a boot with their pinky in the air!

Oh come on, nobody's that goofy.

The sunset pictures are great, it does look like a painting, I can't wait to see it in person! We still have not set a date yet, wait for football schedules Ughhhh.

You'll love it! It's just mesmerizing.

I forgot to mention that the entrance fee for Grand Canyon National Park is $25 per vehicle, good for 7 days. With that, our annual pass has now saved us $93, so it has officially paid for itself.

zFireworks_zps216e135b.gif

Enough of that “learning” crap. Let’s see some pretty pictures!

It’s the American Way

Drew’s-Eye-View:

“Fbbbttt… Feed me!”

I also like taking pictures like this, where you can see people at the overlook. This really gives you a sense of the scale of the Grand Canyon.

And an inkling that just maybe “we” aren’t quite as grand and we think ourselves to be.

One of the most striking aspects of standing at the rim of the canyon is the eerie stillness and silence of the vast space below.

Something that a picture just don’t quite convey.

It reminds me of the stillness you feel in the air just before a snowstorm.

But oddly enough… those few words there do a pretty good job of relating the experience.

The stillness is momentarily broken by the arrival of a California condor, which happens to swoop in for a landing right in front of Julie and her camera. He then proceeds to pose for a photo shoot.

Almost as if you’d planed it.

Good-looking fella, ain’t he?

Riiiight…

That’d be like my saying that I was quite the looker.
No one would be buyin’ that one either.

Of course with a condor all that “ugly” serves a purpose.
Don’t believe the same coud be said for me.

Anyway, where were we? Oh, right, mesmerizing views…

And selfies.

:rotfl2:

we will be staying at the Yavapai Lodge, which is part of the group of hotels available inside the park. Given how late I had planned the trip, we were lucky to be here.

Another check in the “W” column.
All wins are good wins

I’ve read complaints about the food, but come on, people—you’re out in the wilderness. You’re expecting Wolfgang Puck?

Roast Condor?

After dinner, we wander the gift shop a bit. And then Dave happens.

And then Scotty happens.

If you’d like to know what exactly they’re doing, well…so would I.

Hummmmm…
They don’t spend much time staging Broadway revivals in the back yard do they?

Honestly, I don’t know where they get that from.

It’s a puzzlement

We’ve driven over to our hotel room (the lodge consists of several out-buildings), dumped our bags, and then driven back to the Visitor Center. Although Arizona is on Mountain Time, they don’t follow Daylight Savings Time, which means we traveled back in time by an hour when we crossed the border from Utah. So even though Arizona officially claims to be on Mountain Time, in the summer they’re actually the same as Pacific Time. Got that?

I though we weren’t gonn’a have to be doing any more learning?

Naturally, the walk from the parking lot to Mather Point is about 87 miles (give or take 86.5).

About the same margin of error common in a Fox News poll.

Some people look at the Grand Canyon and see the forces of erosion taking their toll, as the Colorado River has slowly and relentlessly worked at carving its way through the desert over millions of years. I think it’s more than that, though. I look at this place and see the hand of an artist at work. It’s one of my favorite places, as awe-inspiring now as it was the first time I ever laid eyes on it.

From your pictures I think I see both of those hands at work there.
Nice summation there and some very fine shootin’.

Those pictures are just stunning. I think I might have to replace my Disney jar with a Grand Canyon jar ;)

4:30 p.m.—I forgot to mention that the entrance fee for Grand Canyon National Park is $25 per vehicle, good for 7 days. With that, our annual pass has now saved us $93, so it has officially paid for itself.

YAYAYAYAYAY! :banana::banana::banana:

If you’d like to know more about the different geographic layers of rock lining the Grand Canyon but can’t bear the thought of skipping a Disney trip in order to visit, you can head to the Wilderness Lodge. The huge fireplace in the lobby was built in layers to represent the same sedimentary rock you’d find here. There’s even a small exhibit at the Wilderness Lodge that explains it in depth.

I knew that! But for some reason I think the Grand Canyon might be just a tad more impressive!

The Yavapai Lodge doesn’t have that same location. It’s just set in the woods near the market plaza. Rooms here are very basic—2 beds and a bathroom. Cinder block walls. You get a TV, but it barely gets any channels. Wi-fi? Forget it. Nothing fancy here. In other words, it worked just fine for us.

Captive audience. Nothing wrong with cinder blocks.

Meanwhile, Baby Drew sits on the floor next to our table (couldn’t find a high chair) and makes weird noises while we eat. Which means it’s a normal night.

IMG_6053.JPG

AWWWWWW! That's all kind of baby cute!

I forget what the kids ate, but I do know that for dessert Dave got a cinnamon roll as big as his face.

IMG_6057.jpg

Nice!

If you’d like to know what exactly they’re doing, well…so would I. Honestly, I don’t know where they get that from.

IMG_6063.jpg

I have no clue!?! :confused3

Although Arizona is on Mountain Time, they don’t follow Daylight Savings Time, which means we traveled back in time by an hour when we crossed the border from Utah. So even though Arizona officially claims to be on Mountain Time, in the summer they’re actually the same as Pacific Time. Got that?

Got it!

Sort of! :rolleyes1

Love all these pictures! They are wonderful! I can only imagine how spectacular it is in person.

Absolutely phenomenal photos. I guess the real Grand Canyon is a teensy bit more impressive than the diorama in the Disneyland Railroad, huh?

Looking forward to more TR!

Wow. I knew I was behind, seriously behind but wow.

I am just in awe. Bryce. Zion. Grand Canyon.

Sigh.

SO much to comment on but I am so behind it is almost impossible to do so.

I love love love how your family is embracing the outdoors.

7:29 p.m.—Sunset continues over Bryce Canyon.

This evening was one of my favorite parts of the trip. Even without the ranger program, I was glad we’d stayed up to watch the stars. The kids had never seen shooting stars before, and it was a treat to hear them shout when they spotted one. Not only was it a wonderful night full of good memories, but a worthy reminder that sometimes we need to get outdoors, get away from all of the worries of life, and just sit quietly, drinking in a universe that is bigger, more beautiful, and more mysterious than any of us could ever hope to understand.

What a magical evening!

Glad you let those kids swim, that was one miserably hot sounding day there and oh my, that has to be the nicest Hampton I've ever seen.

UGH on the Drew Diaper disaster in the car.

Glad the food at the Grand Canyon was livable, I was definitely :rotfl2: at the hiking warnings.

Does baby Drew every cry? Like ever?! He always looks so happy and giggly.

I actually think that haze makes it look so beautiful and almost fake looking. Like a painting almost.

Ok I was totally not expecting to see a man barfing in the Grand Canyon, but it definitely gets the point across:thumbsup2

I've never experienced a snowstorm but it sounds eerie.

Wow, that condor! Ugly and amazing at the same time.

So much multitasking in your picture. Drinking from a boot, pinky extended (super high class, BTW) and holding baby Drew. Remarkable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter