The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

This is my grandson Archer. He is my baseball buddy. He sits thru nine inning games with no problem. He even sports his baseball mullet. He didn't agree with the umpire's call. He was giving him the "what for"
View attachment 568407

Steve

Steve,

He looks like me last night at the Bama game waiting for the concession stand to deliver my "Two Dollar Tuesday" stadium hot dogs at the counter. <hands on hips looking somewhat impatient>

Oh, and of course the umps are blind - everybody knows that .....

Ed

With all this talk of "more rv's" and campgrounds scrambling to meet demand <by raising rates> I made my April 2022 (max booking window) for Gulf State Park with a two week reservation (which I usually trim down later on to match the eventual dates I plan to use). But the Alabama State Park system books site-specific based on arrival day (April 14, 2021 today means I can book arrivals out as far as April 14, 2022 which I did) for up to a 14 day reservation (which I did).

Easter is in that time frame next year but I may be able to manage around that. But I saw an opportunity and felt a little guilty about it but I did it (first) and then asked for forgiveness (second).

You see, I booked the famous @tiggerdad corner site #18

20200423_150029_zpsqskhjqf1.jpg

Last April (and later this month) I've booked #16 which is on the lake across the street and over one spot. Which is fine. But #18 is back up against those big old oak trees and gets afternoon shade. Plus it backs up to the Comfort Station shown in the background which is a plus. I've often stayed on the other side of this site (it's a T-intersection) in #4 which is close but a lower shade quotient.

So anyway this morning I saw it was available and booked it :scared: and THEN I texted@tiggerdad and asked his forgiveness :worship: to stay on his little piece of Baldwin County, Alabama. I call it the tiggerdad site because I think it was 3-4 years in a row for our annual Gulf DISMeet (which has now gone on the road) that tiggerdad camped in this tremendous corner site. And hosted court many evenings in this prime location. The idea for the "Rendezvous at the Fort" October 2020 DISMeet at Fort Wilderness was discussed and approved .RIGHT.HERE. (there should be one of those historical plaques here, don't you think?)

Maybe by then they'll be finished with the Comfort Station refurbs that have this particular CS currently closed. :rolleyes: (well, refurb and Hurricane Sally damage from Sep 2020).

Thanks for letting me stay there, tiggerdad. :thumbsup2

Bama Ed

PS - any advice to care for the squirrels here? I know you also take food to the Camping Lobby Check-In desk to take care of them .... Anything else I need to know? Like which stone on the site that you buried a $100 bill under? (lol)

Last edited:
Ed, there is a redbird staying in that area that loves to fight itself in the mirror in the mornings. Very aggressive little sucker mind you.

The fantastic access to the comfort station is a major win on that site! However, each time we've been there we have encountered a snake (chicken snake once, and the others were regular water snakes) in the crossing to the comfort station in the ditch. Walk fast is the best advice. The two squirrels in the oak that leans over you like to peak in the windows since the lean on the tree is so great that should be able to look right down on you. They like Froot Loops...

Enjoy!

We have site 17 in july for a week, then back on Sumac on site 63 in October. I'm looking at July 24-27. There is a nurse practitioner conference at the Gulf State Lodge that I can basically stay for free and use education time and money. So far only site 733 is open for those days. That's a bit further back in the CG than I wanted. I'm gonna keep watching but may go ahead and grab it.

Steve,

He looks like me last night at the Bama game waiting for the concession stand to deliver my "Two Dollar Tuesday" stadium hot dogs at the counter. <hands on hips looking somewhat impatient>

Oh, and of course the umps are blind - everybody knows that .....

Ed
I finished watching the Bama game after the UK / Bellarmine game. You gotta love the ESPN app on the Roku. You guys finished up strong even with Bohannon trying to slow down the Bama baserunners. Is the baseball version of Bama / Auburn on the same level as the football version?

Steve

I finished watching the Bama game after the UK / Bellarmine game. You gotta love the ESPN app on the Roku. You guys finished up strong even with Bohannon trying to slow down the Bama baserunners. Is the baseball version of Bama / Auburn on the same level as the football version?

Steve

No the baseball version of Bama and the Barn is nowhere near the same level of rivalry as the football version.

[Quick background - SEC baseball is the best college ball in the land. Over half of the top 10 teams in the country are SEC schools. Bama's current head coach Brad Bohannon was prior to that an assistant coach at Auburn and prior to that an assistant coach at Steve's Kentucky.]

Bama baseball has been improving from its bottom-of-the-SEC position and Auburn has generally been the better team. However, this year we can all read the standings and Auburn currently has the worst SEC record of any team in the league. Bama is slightly below .500 in the league but in our first 3 SEC weekends we played the #2, #3, and #6 teams in the land. It was brutal. And our Friday and Saturday starting pitchers have been out for nearly a month (Saturday guy threw 50 pitches this weekend in a short appearance starting his comeback).

Given Coach Bo's prior experience with Auburn, the rivalry is good natured and respectful but this weekend I'm hoping for another sweep (like we just gave aTm). Or at least two out of three. We have not made the SEC Baseball Tournament the last several years (they take 12 of the 14 teams - if you get left out as Bama has been in years past, you're bad) but it looks like we won't be in the bottom two this year at least. So we should make the tournament in Hoover.

I'll be there for all 3 games this weekend which starts tonight (it's actually a Thurs-Sat series).

Ed

Last edited:
Hello from Seoul, South Korea...I am here for a few days (leaving Saturday afternoon) with work, and while staying at the hotel here they still have....buffet!!! (This is Marriott, by the way) I was like a kid in a candy store ( as I miss the buffet). They are very strict/compliant over here as far as mask wearing, but sitting down and eating indoors is no problem, and they have not really reduced or adjusted the typical restaurant/ seating capacity too much as far as I can tell. You get plastic kitchen work type gloves to use for your visits to the buffet for all the common touch serving, utensils, dispenser knobs, etc. I think buffets can work again at Disney with mask/glove protocols...and then maybe (once mask stuff relaxes) just the gloves if touch continues to be an issue/concern for buffet providers. Anyway, my main point is that here in Korea (where they are huge with Covid mitigation) they feel the buffet is ok. I think we can still have it working back home again...I hope so for my beloved Disney breakfast buffet. In about an hour I am off for buffet pancakes, omelets, muffins, etc...gonna get my fill here!!!

We are right next to a huge botanic park at hotel...on the edge of the park there was an eatery that I thought was an interesting combo/name.
CA581697-C75B-4EDF-9B1F-B87A337F06BB.jpeg

I think it might actually be a European import (as far as the chain).

Last edited:

Hello from Seoul, South Korea...I am here for a few days (leaving Saturday afternoon) with work, and while staying at the hotel here they still have....buffet!!! I was like a kid in a candy store ( as I miss the buffet). They are very strict/compliant over here as far as mask wearing, but sitting down and eating indoors is no problem, and they have not really reduced or adjusted the typical restaurant/ seating capacity too much as far as I can tell. You get plastic kitchen work type gloves to use for your visits to the buffet for all the common touch serving, utensils, dispenser knobs, etc. I think buffets can work again at Disney with mask/glove protocols...and then maybe (once mask stuff relaxes) just the gloves if touch continues to be an issue/concern for buffet providers. Anyway, my main point is that here in Korea (where they are huge with Covid mitigation) they feel the buffet is ok. I think we can still have it working back home again...I hope so for my beloved Disney breakfast buffet. In about an hour I am off for buffet pancakes, omelets, muffins, etc...gonna get my fill here!!!

We are right next to a huge botanic park at hotel...on the edge of the park there was an eatery that I thought was an interesting combo/name.
View attachment 568599

Waiting for Trails End to open back up!

My buddy lives up in that general area, i will still say in the populated areas you dont find smakes anymore. Unless im not looking in the right spots! When i was a kid you would run accross them now and then. But i havent seen one since disney 2 years ago and before that 20 years or more, unless i visit a zoo......

Hello from Seoul, South Korea...I am here for a few days (leaving Saturday afternoon) with work, and while staying at the hotel here they still have....buffet!!! (This is Marriott, by the way) I was like a kid in a candy store ( as I miss the buffet). They are very strict/compliant over here as far as mask wearing, but sitting down and eating indoors is no problem, and they have not really reduced or adjusted the typical restaurant/ seating capacity too much as far as I can tell. You get plastic kitchen work type gloves to use for your visits to the buffet for all the common touch serving, utensils, dispenser knobs, etc. I think buffets can work again at Disney with mask/glove protocols...and then maybe (once mask stuff relaxes) just the gloves if touch continues to be an issue/concern for buffet providers. Anyway, my main point is that here in Korea (where they are huge with Covid mitigation) they feel the buffet is ok. I think we can still have it working back home again...I hope so for my beloved Disney breakfast buffet. In about an hour I am off for buffet pancakes, omelets, muffins, etc...gonna get my fill here!!!

View attachment 568599

Ahnya ha se oh Adashie. How many times did you go back for the Kegogi

Ahnya ha se oh Adashie. How many times did you go back for the Kegogi

Actually, while I did see that, I never took any of it (there were so many thingsI’m that I didn’t get to everything).

Oh and I passed on attending A-Day this year (50% attendance allowed) since I'm going to the Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday afternoon baseball games between Bama and the Barn (who is having a rough year this year).

I have to come here this morning and confess that I was weak.

The pressure got to me. :scared:

I bought a ticket to the A-Day spring football game (they are charging this year $5 a seat prolly because they've lost so much money due to last year's 25% capacity constraint) and will be going. Lots of folks out and about already.

Bama won the baseball game Thursday night against the Barn, lost last night (was there too), and will go again this evening. Auburn is not as bad a team as their bottom-of-the-SEC standings indicates (at least as of now they're not).

Bama Ed

we are in the mid break of painting. We were off to rocky start this morning but have one coat of primer done on three ceilings. Man it was a booger to get that done. Right now on a break because i have to work this afternoon. Hoping work is done by 1:30 when it is time to start coat number 2.

Original paint goal was to put all 4 coats up today. 2 primer (supposed to be done before work break) then start the first coat of color and finish up the last coat of color before bed. We will get the second coat of primer up and hopefully one coat of color. Then we can do the second coat in the morning. We were hoping to be done painting so we could hike but probably not likely.

We will get the second coat of primer up and hopefully one coat of color. Then we can do the second coat in the morning.
It is probably too late now, but when I was a painter, we would tint the primer the same color (or close to it) as the finish color. That way we would only need one color coat.

Sounds like you are on the home stretch now.

j

thankfugly the ceilings will be white so not far off. It’s possible one coat of color but we are expecting 2. work is done and so is the priming. We are resting then first coat of color. This time 4 rooms. Adding a hallway that already has a light ceiling color. We want to paint the new color over it and see how it is. If it sucks then the other ceilings will need primer as well. Hoping not.

mallory is not happy that we are spending all our time in the study.

first coat of color done. The second one goes on tomorrow. that should allow us to put stuff back. Next two weekends I am on call for work so no hiking. If we are not hiking then we will be painting. Plan is to do the other half of the condo ceilings next weekend. That is master bedroom, hallway and closet. no priming needed for those rooms. Should be two coats. Then following weekend plan is to do living room.

probably stop painting then to wait for remodel and then hit the walls. Of course with the remodel have to do baseboards and walls. Can spend May putting crap away and out of the condo. Remodel will start mid July.

i am here to whine and complain, was going to say a little but probably a lot.

First the good news. We got all final coat of paint on the ceilings in that half of the condo. Tonight we need to put up the curtains and two light fixtures.

The bad news is next weekend we will hit the other side of the condo.

Now the bad news just keeps going. The reason we are painting next weekend is because i am on call for work for the next two weeks. My shift started this morning at 8 am. I have two weeks where i have to answer all the major incidents. I have been stressing out about things happening in the middle of the night and i miss it. Well no need to worry the first major incident happened at 1 pm today. It could either mean i am getting it done with right away or it is going to be a really long two weeks. I also can't hike the next two weekends.

Which brings me to the next complaint. I have been nursing a bad calf and actually spent the last two weeks being nice an easy on it. Well i went for a run today and while all the other times i did stop before i really did damage, today i was not so lucky. I thought i have been so good to it. it should be fine. I got to 3.5 miles of my 4 mile run to easy into it and nope totally down. Right now i am barely able to put weight on it. This means two weeks of no running and because of work no hiking. Which works out since the calf is probably going to say no hiking. I am hoping by tomorrow i am putting weight back on it to walk.

Can my monday get any better :( ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter