The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

So I am out for my early morning walk one day this past week on a crisp cool morning as the sun is coming up in Titletown and notice some new construction on the grassy corner of Alabama's football stadium nearest "The Strip" (bars, restaurants, souvenirs area). Actually the grassy area between the stadium and University Blvd is actually three lots that used to have large square two story frat houses on them but they had newer houses built elsewhere on campus and UA removed the old houses leaving a nice grassy flat place.

Anyway, here is the construction behind a fence. Some gravel which would appear to be a bed for a paved sidewalk to come.

20210308_100727.jpg

There was a man with a drawing in his hand watching the work and I asked him what was going to go on the corner. He replied, "an elephant statue". Naturally. An elephant statue with the House That Bryant and Saban Built as the backdrop.

20210308_100807.jpg

I wonder if it will be in place in time next month for the Spring Football (A-Day) game. Our governor has already stated she will let the current mask and social distancing mandate expire a week before the game so we could have a celebration of Nattie #18. And everyone can pose for a pic at the new elephant statue.

It will be glorious.

Elephant%20Surfing_zpsocboyb4s.gif

Bama Ed

I don't know why I ever doubted it. The elephant statue is in place JUST in time for this weekend's Spring Football Game (A-Day) and the celebration of the past season. (ESPN noon central for all you B1G fans)

A little background first: the 7-ton bronze elephant statue was donated by the local ritzy country club (North River Yacht Club) where he had been on display for many years. The club graciously donated him to the UA and the University with private funds built the pedestal and park area (landscaping, sprinkler system) all which were getting wrapped up today.

I was out on my morning walk and here is what it looks like (btw, the elephant had/has a name: Tuska).

The statue is on the northwest corner of the stadium complex on the corner nearest The Strip (restaurant/bar/stores) on University Boulevard.

I'm sure it will be shown on the telecast Saturday. Oh and I passed on attending A-Day this year (50% attendance allowed) since I'm going to the Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday afternoon baseball games between Bama and the Barn (who is having a rough year this year).

Just another fun-filled spring weekend in Title Town.

Ed

PS - oh and tiggerdad, no sign yet of the 2020 marble plaques in the walk of champions for the SEC and National championships. They'll probably get get dropped into the pavers late Friday afternoon along with etching a "2020" in the wall behind Saban's statue. I think I'll go out for a walk early Saturday morning and go looking for these.

Well last night and today have been, good. Last night we finalized the deal on Foolish Mortals. We have it until next Monday, then the new owner picks it up. And DW got word today that she got the job she had applied for, so happy for her.

Went out for a walk tonight. As we were walking past the grade school down the street I saw something on the sidewalk.

20210413_184334_copy_1944x3456.jpg

Took a closer look. Somebody can really draw. This was in pencil on a rough concrete sidewalk.

20210413_184319_copy_1944x3456.jpg

j

I am stupid when it comes to sports. What does the elephant mean to Univ of Alabama?

Back in the late 1920s and 30s when Alabama started its storied run through Rose Bowl history (back when the Rose Bowl was the ONLY college bowl game at the end of the season that aimed to put the best team from the West against the best team from the East), the 1930 Bama team had some REALLY big boys blocking on the offensive line - they were much bigger than the teams they played against (this was before strength training, dining halls, and nutrition experts). One sportswriter wrote that when they marched down the field, it felt like a herd of elephants. So they picked up the elephant reference which stuck.

BTW they were already the Alabama Crimson Tide with the Tide moniker coming nearly 20 years earlier. The red southern mud stained the white Alabama jerseys in a rainy game against favored Auburn and again a sportswriter came up with a clever headline.

The elephant theme hung around into the 40s and an elephant was usually brought into town for the homecoming parade thru the 60s. In the 1970s a costumed elephant was officially voted as the mascot and named Big Al.

giphy.gif

It's a fair question, Gloria.

I think the statue is a destination item for people to take their pictures standing in front with the stadium in the background. Like the Walt/Mickey statue in the circle in front of the Magic Kingdom castle.

Ed

GC #10 arrived this morning. Mason and mom doing well

Congratulations! We have a good 10 years before I would be the grand step dad.

Well last night and today have been, good. Last night we finalized the deal on Foolish Mortals. We have it until next Monday, then the new owner picks it up. And DW got word today that she got the job she had applied for, so happy for her.

Awesome news for all. While Foolish Mortals was a version of a dream, you guys found another one with the new rig. I am still looking at more PA state parks....oddly even at 42' it has not been too hard to find accommodations either in or near many.

This is my grandson Archer. He is my baseball buddy. He sits thru nine inning games with no problem. He even sports his baseball mullet. He didn't agree with the umpire's call. He was giving him the "what for"
View attachment 568407

Steve

Funny - Before I ever read what you posted, my mind went to the exact same place. He completely looks like the Manager arguing with the call!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter