The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

I’ve a question for all you campers in humid areas. Do you use a dehumidifier in your rig and if so, is it portable or built in? If portable, which do you use? We’re coming from dry Colorado to the Fort and I’ve read that dehumidifiers should be part of everyone’s rig but they never give a brand or model recommendation. Apparently it helps even when the heater is used. What say you?

I’ve a question for all you campers in humid areas. Do you use a dehumidifier in your rig and if so, is it portable or built in? If portable, which do you use? We’re coming from dry Colorado to the Fort and I’ve read that dehumidifiers should be part of everyone’s rig but they never give a brand or model recommendation. Apparently it helps even when the heater is used. What say you?
We just run the ACs. They're just dehumidifiers on the roof. Actually, I run the RV ACs in the garage all year. Set around 88 but still on.

Last edited:

just AC as well. That said, I can currently trace the vents from the condensation on the ceiling.

I know the conditioning part of air conditioning is removing the moisture but I’d heard that in a home or in a RV the AC will run better if helped by a dehumidifier to help it along. Even here in the dry West I notice the build up of humidity after a night with the windows closed and the heater on in the RV. Wondered what people in humid areas did.

Never heard that, I've had a RV for over 20 years, no humidifier, no problems. We've always keep 2 power vents all the time (on low), it removes condensation.

I know the conditioning part of air conditioning is removing the moisture but I’d heard that in a home or in a RV the AC will run better if helped by a dehumidifier to help it along. Even here in the dry West I notice the build up of humidity after a night with the windows closed and the heater on in the RV. Wondered what people in humid areas did.
Propane heat actually produces moisture. That could be the issue. Straight electric heat tends to dry the air out. We had natural gas heat in our old house and it was very dry.

Propane heat actually produces moisture. That could be the issue. Straight electric heat tends to dry the air out. We had natural gas heat in our old house and it was very dry.
Didn’t know that about propane heat. We try to use electric only whenever possible but if it’s cold enough we also have to use gas. At home we have natural gas and you’re right, it‘s very drying. We have humidifiers in the house for the winter.

I have to agree with Don. Many times we need propane heat on 1st and last nights of our Dec x Jan trek . Front windshield squeege treatment before we leave and defroster on high for next hour

Never have heard of a dehumidifier for a camper. Unless you have water damage. Lol. The mositure is from you as you exhale. If you have a build up of moisture in your camper, from non vented propane applinces or from you haveing it sealed up tight, crack a window. The condinsation thing is typical of pop up campers. Though i had an issue once in my TT. A dehumidifier uses power. And your camper isnt really rated to have one running. Or to put in another way, if you needed it they would have an option for you to buy it when you get a new camper.

Sitting at home today and just recovering a bit from a long work week. I had intentions of doing more work outside but after last nights rains I lost that motivation. I am just seeing updates from hurricane Ida landfall, man I hope everyone who is in its path is safe and sound. I still recall the images of Gulf Port and NOLA after Kartina, I just hope all the work done since then helps everyone.

We use a Davis Air dryer. It is meant to remove moisture from boat interiors. Never have to worry about emptying water. Use it all thru the winter and when humidity gets high. Takes very little voltage to run, and is easy to put away if you need to store it.

We use a Davis Air dryer. It is meant to remove moisture from boat interiors. Never have to worry about emptying water. Use it all thru the winter and when humidity gets high. Takes very little voltage to run, and is easy to put away if you need to store it.
Thats intresting, like a mini heater that treats air? Does it throw out a lot of heat?

Thats intresting, like a mini heater that treats air? Does it throw out a lot of heat?

No it does not throw a ton of heat, you pretty much have to lay your hand on it to know it is on. During the winter for storage, I throw ours up on the kitchen counter, and it does a great job. Plus it only weighs like two pounds.

In fact it will be running from this Tuesday thru the rain we are to get. Projected to get 6 to 10 inches of rain.

reminds me I need to order one of those.

I bought a dehumidifier for my old 5th wheel. The front A/C (bedroom) cooled great, but must have had a drain issue that I never found and dealers refused to look for. The front bedroom would get cold, but always felt damp. Bed linen was the worst. I bought the dehumidifier last winter, but then sold the 5er in March, so I never got a chance to try it. I bought a smallish dehumidifier that fit in the front closet where the washer/dryer hookups were.

In the winter, we put a couple of DampRid containers, but I never noticed them doing much.

j

Thanks for the tip. I’ll look into them.

Yes, I run a larger one, countertop that has a hose on it. I just let the hose go in the kitchen sink. I set humidity on it around 50%. Another option, that I'll sometimes do is let the AC run at about 85 degrees, the AC unit will pull the moisture out as well.

Never have heard of a dehumidifier for a camper. Unless you have water damage. Lol. The mositure is from you as you exhale. If you have a build up of moisture in your camper, from non vented propane applinces or from you haveing it sealed up tight, crack a window. The condinsation thing is typical of pop up campers. Though i had an issue once in my TT. A dehumidifier uses power. And your camper isnt really rated to have one running. Or to put in another way, if you needed it they would have an option for you to buy it when you get a new camper.
In the south they are actually recommended. In my old TT my outdoor kitchen counter kept warping and I couldn't figure out why. I wasn't spilling anything. Finally I set up a dehumidifier in it. I was pulling about a 1/2 gallon of moisture out of the air every 2 weeks. In the winter it's worse because it would be cold inside at night, but the outside air temp would quickly rise and this equaled condensation inside if the rig was in direct sunlight.

Its humid here in the summer, not so much in the winter i guess. I usally throw a damp rid container in the camper over the winter, but so far that dosen't yeild much. I guess it depends on where you live. I do like the little ring thing, i may get one of those for the winter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter