The DIS Book Club Discussion Group: Round 8 - The Hunger Games

There's certainly a Roman throw-back here to the gladiator-style "games" that went on...lots of other parallels as well. I'm enjoying book 2 - hopefully will get a lot of time to read this weekend.

There's certainly a Roman throw-back here to the gladiator-style "games" that went on...lots of other parallels as well. I'm enjoying book 2 - hopefully will get a lot of time to read this weekend.

It is like gladiator-style games. I really can't wait to see the movie. I have been picturing scenes in my head and it would be interesting to see what happens on the big screen.

I was getting a vibe that sort of combined the Running Man stakes and the Olympic-style pageantry. I guess the tributes had to be dressed up and made up, partly to match the overdone and artificial appearance of those in the Capitol. I would imagine the pageantry is also meant to gloss over some of the violence and the reality of what's going on, for those who can afford to gloss over it.
I agree with that. They make everything pretty for the tender sensibilities of those in the Capitol. Sort of a "who wants to cheer for an ugly, dirty person?"

Sayhello

Hope for Book 2/ Sort of Spoiler: I'm looking forward to understanding the society - we've only had a sense of it from District 12's perspective and from the training centre. I'm hoping Book 2 will give a more rounded picture of the other side of things...

Hope for Book 2/ Sort of Spoiler: I'm looking forward to understanding the society - we've only had a sense of it from District 12's perspective and from the training centre. I'm hoping Book 2 will give a more rounded picture of the other side of things...
Spoiler for Book 1 or Book 2? I've finished Book 1, so I wouldn't be spoiled for that...

Sayhello

The events leading up to the opening ceremony have me thinking though. Why are the “tributes” really given stylists and dressed elaborately for the opening ceremony? Does this ceremony remind you of events in our world, either past or present?

All of the pomp and pagentry made me think of the gladiators... but that could simply be because they mentioned chariots... I usually don't look past the obvious!

The opening ceremonies remind me a little of the Olympics. Every team has a stylist and we care about what they are wearing to represent their country.

That's a really good point... they were all made to dress in a way that represents their district, much like the Olympic athletes do even today.

its the bachelor.......survivor.....big brother etc, except the stakes are a little higher.........also Nikki may be refering to Gladiators.

Wow... I never would have thought of that (told you I usually only go with the obvious), but it's true. I can definitely see the tie in to the bachelor!

I was getting a vibe that sort of combined the Running Man stakes and the Olympic-style pageantry. I guess the tributes had to be dressed up and made up, partly to match the overdone and artificial appearance of those in the Capitol. I would imagine the pageantry is also meant to gloss over some of the violence and the reality of what's going on, for those who can afford to gloss over it.

I agree with that. They make everything pretty for the tender sensibilities of those in the Capitol. Sort of a "who wants to cheer for an ugly, dirty person?"

Sayhello

I agree with both of these.... I think styling the tributes the way they did helped the people of the Capitol see them more as pieces in a game, as opposed to real children.

Spoiler for Book 1 or Book 2? I've finished Book 1, so I wouldn't be spoiled for that...

Sayhello

I think it's more of a comment on the things left open after book 1, and the hopes for book 2....

its the bachelor.......survivor.....big brother etc,
my point was that these are all voyueristic reality shows where the contestants are pealed down to one while we all watch with baited breath and revel in the pain of others...ya dont think people watch Nascar for the racing do ya...........:rotfl2:.............PS......is it narrasistic to "quote" your own post??????????

my point was that these are all voyueristic reality shows where the contestants are pealed down to one while we all watch with baited breath and revel in the pain of others...ya dont think people watch Nascar for the racing do ya...........:rotfl2:.............PS......is it narrasistic to "quote" your own post??????????

I think that was a really good observation, and one I never would have thought of on my own!

Aaaaaaaaaaagggghhhhh! :scared1:

I just had to say that. Just finished Book Two, and I can see why the whole trilogy becomes a must read together! I'm not saying another word.... popcorn::

I just had to say that. Just finished Book Two, and I can see why the whole trilogy becomes a must read together! I'm not saying another word.... popcorn::

I was afraid of that. :lmao: I actually stayed up really late last night and fished the first book and when I got to the end I was like "uuurrggghhh! Now I have to get the second book and fast." :rotfl:

So, what is everyone up to now? Are we ready to start discussing more? Is this a book that is starting to be read in school? I would think it would be a good one for discussion in classes since it really has a lot of metaphors in it. It can be a very serious book and really make a person think or just be a interesting story to read.

I stayed up really late last night, because I was *almost* done with book 2. *THINKING* "Oh, that will be a good place to stop". WRONG!!!!!!!!

I was afraid of that. :lmao: I actually stayed up really late last night and fished the first book and when I got to the end I was like "uuurrggghhh! Now I have to get the second book and fast." :rotfl:

So, what is everyone up to now? Are we ready to start discussing more? Is this a book that is starting to be read in school? I would think it would be a good one for discussion in classes since it really has a lot of metaphors in it. It can be a very serious book and really make a person think or just be a interesting story to read.
I've just finished book 2, already into 3. I know it's being *read* by school kids; I don't know if it's actually a part of curriculums. I agree; it *should* be. What an amazing stepping point for all sorts of discussions on war, totalitarianism, giving up rights for safety, etc. I'm really impressed with these books!

Sayhello

I stayed up really late last night, because I was *almost* done with book 2. *THINKING* "Oh, that will be a good place to stop". WRONG!!!!!!!!

I've just finished book 2, already into 3. I know it's being *read* by school kids; I don't know if it's actually a part of curriculums. I agree; it *should* be. What an amazing stepping point for all sorts of discussions on war, totalitarianism, giving up rights for safety, etc. I'm really impressed with these books!

Sayhello

I know! I was thinking that finishing book 2 would be a stopping place. SO wrong...

These books would really be good high school reading for a lot of very interesting conversations...

We should pick up the discussions, though they should probably be led by someone who's not already on book 2 or 3. :rotfl2:

Just to get the ball rolling....

The Hunger Games is pretty controversial. What do you think is the cruelest part about it? Why?

Jumping in here, finally. I had to finish The Help back when you guys started reading The Hunger Games; then when I was ready to join you, couldn't find it @ the library (very in demand book, guess you all knew that) so I ordered it from Amazon, and while waiting for it to come, read the Book Thief (two thumbs up, haunting, wow, might be a great selection for the Dis Book Club at some point)... So I just read Ch. 1 of The Hunger Games last night. And so far I am engaged, can't wait to continue.

Is this a book that is starting to be read in school? I would think it would be a good one for discussion in classes since it really has a lot of metaphors in it. It can be a very serious book and really make a person think or just be a interesting story to read.

I am a HS teacher--I have seen a number of students carrying this book around & reading it for pleasure, it's not part of their curriculum in my HS at least, but agreed, it would make for some compelling study in school.

I finally used my brain to remember that Scholastic often has discussion question for teachers for books like this and did a search and found them! I'll type then out tonight and hopefully start the discussion.
Nikki, if I PM them to you can you add them to the first post(s)? That maybe the best way so they don't get lost.

Just to get the ball rolling....

The Hunger Games is pretty controversial. What do you think is the cruelest part about it? Why?
There are a *lot* of cruel things about the Hunger Games, but, for some reason, what seems the cruelest to me is that people can volunteer to replace whoever gets chosen as the tribute. If it was mandatory the person chosen goes, then they can be angry with the Capitol, and with the randomness of the world or whatever. But if someone *chooses* to go to save someone else (like Katniss did) then they could end up really only blaming themselves. I think that's cruel.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter