The DIS Book Club Discussion Group: Round 8 - The Hunger Games

Don't ya just love being able to do that?! Of course, that can get expensive too... :rotfl2: I am starting book 2 now...just can't resist. :)
Hey, I just broke down & bought all 3 at once. They weren't that expensive at the Sony store. :)

Sayhello

I have this book on my Kindle, but haven't read it yet. I'd like to try and join the book club this time. :)

I have this book on my Kindle, but haven't read it yet. I'd like to try and join the book club this time. :)

I'd had the book on my Kindle for many months but just didn't get a chance to read it until I had a good excuse. Now I'm starting the second book in the trilogy. ;)

May I join in on the Hunger Games fun? My friends introduced me to the trilogy and I read it in a weekend... didn't sleep, eat, or talk to my children for 48 hours!! I was so hooked. ((I exaggerate just a bit))

Did everyone know there is a movie already in production for The Hunger Games!? I'm glad y'all are reading it first, since movies RARELY do the books any justice! Still excited about seeing it on the big screen, tho!:banana:

May I join in on the Hunger Games fun? My friends introduced me to the trilogy and I read it in a weekend... didn't sleep, eat, or talk to my children for 48 hours!! I was so hooked. ((I exaggerate just a bit))

Did everyone know there is a movie already in production for The Hunger Games!? I'm glad y'all are reading it first, since movies RARELY do the books any justice! Still excited about seeing it on the big screen, tho!:banana:

I usually try to read the book before seeing a movie for that reason! I totally understand (nearly) reading the whole trilogy in one weekend. Given less going on, I probably would have done the same. :)

:welcome: I am so glad you are joining us! :goodvibes

One of the reasons I was for reading The Hunger Games is because of the movie that's being made. I'm eager to see how they pull it off, but like you, know it is going to be far different from the novel. That always happens and drives me batty. Hopefully they will at least do the major parts of the plot justice. :rolleyes:

I couldn't put them down... I ended up finishing the 3rd book today... the whole trilogy in 1 week! I guess that means I will be catching up on work and chores this weekend!

Stayed up reading until 1am last night until DH made me turn off the light. :rotfl: I finished the first book this morning. LOVED IT! We are off to DLR tomorrow and I'm a afraid to buy the next book now or else I will stay up reading it when I need to get to bed early tonight. Even after I stop reading for the night, I still can't sleep for awhile because I'm thinking about it. This book really makes you think. Has anyone else found themselves thinking about it at times?

My schedule has me slammed right now and it's driving me insane that I don't have more time to read...They haven't started the games yet but are getting close I guess...it's starting to pick up and I wanna read more more more lolol...heading to bed now and hope I can stay awake long enough to read a few more pages! It's been a hard day's work!!! Chores afterwards made it even longer and I'm not off again until Fri.!!!! No rest for the weary but then again I work for Disney trips so away I go!!!!! No work no Disney World! Night all and pleasant dreams!:hippie:

Yea , so much for me promising myself I would pace myself this book I have finished it and the other 2 also. I really enjoyed them, a bit different to what I would usually read but really very interesting.

Finished #1 yesterday and started #2 last night...clearly none of us have any time to discuss these books because we are too busy practically inhabiting them!!! Great story...:love:

It looks like everyone is really doing well! I'm a little behind myself as I've been distracted by other things, but am enjoying the book. The events leading up to the opening ceremony have me thinking though. Why are the “tributes” really given stylists and dressed elaborately for the opening ceremony? Does this ceremony remind you of events in our world, either past or present?

its the bachelor.......survivor.....big brother etc, except the stakes are a little higher.........also Nikki may be refering to Gladiators.

I finished the book yesterday! I want to continue to read the series, but I am waiting until I buy my Kindle for my b-day.

The opening ceremonies remind me a little of the Olympics. Every team has a stylist and we care about what they are wearing to represent their country.

I just finished the first book and already have the others to get started on. I can lend my first one out to you if you have a Nook! It gives you 10 days to read it before it comes back automatically to me! PM me if interested. I don't want to ruin anybody's reading so no comments yet but they are interesting. Not having watched any if the reality shows I really can't comment on that aspect but it does remind me of A female Percy Jackson type character without the "power" if an Olympic parent.:surfweb:

I was so mad at myself this past weekend. I was on a quick trip from VA to PA and was all ready to read in the car on the way to and from and what did I do? Forget to download the stupid book to my Nook before leaving. (this ladies and gentlemen is why you should buy the 3G version :lmao:) So, I end up starting another book that I just had to finish before I could start Hunger Games.
Well, I finally got to start last night and I must say I'm liking it so far. Only read the first chapter last night before bed, but it I had a small aha moment when I figured out why it was called Hunger Games in the first place. :teacher: It helps if you can understand the title of the book you are reading. :rotfl:

I'm also in the same boat as many other people that I'm getting distracted with other things, like planning a trip to WDW and work. :laughing: But, I'm off to read now so hopefully will get another chapter read tonight.

I was getting a vibe that sort of combined the Running Man stakes and the Olympic-style pageantry. I guess the tributes had to be dressed up and made up, partly to match the overdone and artificial appearance of those in the Capitol. I would imagine the pageantry is also meant to gloss over some of the violence and the reality of what's going on, for those who can afford to gloss over it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter