The DIS Book Club Discussion Group: Round 8 - The Hunger Games

So, this is my 1st jump into the book club discussion group.... but it sounds like fun and I was looking for a new book to read! Whoever said you won;t be able to put it down as absolutely right! I started the book halfway through my vacation last week, and finished it before the week was up! So much for hiking in the mountains.... but at least I had beautiful scenery while I was reading!

So far its not got me...hope it gets better as predicted!!!! ABout to climb in bed and read more...

Woohoo! Keep the momentum going everybody! If you're just popping in, the reading schedule and discussion info is in the first post. So far, what's everyone think? Likes? Dislikes? :)

Well, so far I like it. I was interested right away. It's a version of Distopia I haven't come across before. I just can't even imagine what could happen next so I'm looking forward to finding out. I can see how this would make an interesting movie because the people who live in the Capitol sound like they look very odd they way they are described.

I'd been very curious about this book for a while. My friend's teenage daughter has been raving about it, and I've heard other good things. So far, I'm really intrigued. It's a really interesting premise, and the world is well thought-out and fully fleshed. I really didn't mind all the exposition at the start; it seemed to flow nicely and fit the narrative. I've been a bit too busy recently to do the "can't put it down" bit, but I *have* been sneaking a read in far more often than I had been, lately. I care about the characters (and found that had occurred pretty early on!) and that's really important to me.

Sayhello

Ummm...work is getting in the way of my reading!

I'm about 70 pages in and was drawn into this story quite quickly...compelling characters, exciting storyline, fascinating setting...can't ask for much more. I'm happy that I purchased the trilogy as I can see I will be reading the rest of it right after we're done. I predict DS will read this in 'no time flat'.

I'm now 58% of the way through the book, and I really don't want to do anything other than keep reading! The exposition at the very beginning was a little slow, but before very long, the book took off, and now I'm dying to know what's next. I'll definitely be reading the other two books once this one is done.

Quite right about the cliffhangers at the end of the chapters - where DO we reach a stopping place? :rotfl:

I didn't get as much read as I thought this weekend. I was so tired that the drive home yesterday I mostly slept. On the way up to MI I read a book that I started earlier in the week. I am on chapter 3. I really want to read how this plays out since the idea of children killing each other seems a little odd for a young adult book.

I read The Hunger Games back in March and loved the trilogy :love:. I just happen to be rereading the first book when I came across this thread. I am a first time book club poster. :bitelip: It is amazing how much you miss the first time around. I really like Katniss’ devotion to Prim. I am really excited to see how the movie adaptation handles the violence of the games and keep a PG13 rating popcorn::.

I am absolutely OBSESSED with The Hunger Games! I just saw this thread and had to comment, because I finished the first book a mere 8 hours after I purchased it. I couldn't put it down. I would love to discuss it here, I promise not to spit out spoilers.

Katniss lost her father at a young age and then as a result became the head of household in a sense after her mother mentally checked out. Understandable that it would make one a little bit bitter, but it amazes me that Katniss is so oblivious to the fact that these boys are completely in love with her.

Katniss lost her father at a young age and then as a result became the head of household in a sense after her mother mentally checked out. Understandable that it would make one a little bit bitter, but it amazes me that Katniss is so oblivious to the fact that these boys are completely in love with her.

I think Katniss' naivete is one of the more difficult things to handle as an adult reader of these books. While it fits in a teen sense, it's harder to make sense of as an adult.

Well, she doesn't come from the "town" part of the district. She doesn't wear pretty things so she probably doesn't think of herself in that way.

I find this character trait to be believable - she's young and has had her attentions diverted to much more dire areas for a long time. I'd like to discuss my reasons further however I don't want to spill any beans for anyone...I'm loathe to find out even the tiniest detail before reading it myself!

Loving this book...just wish I had more time to read it prior to bed when I find myself with the book suddenly dropped on my face as I fall asleep...several times in a row, in fact, because I'm trying to read just that little bit more! :rotfl:

I just read the whole triolgy over the Fourth of July weekend. Now I think I'll go back and re-read the first book so that I can participate in the discussion!

This morning I woke up and sat in bed reading for awhile. DH even brought me coffee in bed. :) Then suddenly I had finished part 2. I'll try to hold back and read something else tonight but not sure if I can. ;) Besides, I'd like to finish it before we leave for DLR on Sunday.

This morning I woke up and sat in bed reading for awhile. DH even brought me coffee in bed. :) Then suddenly I had finished part 2. I'll try to hold back and read something else tonight but not sure if I can. ;) Besides, I'd like to finish it before we leave for DLR on Sunday.[

Well I have to say its getting better!!! I was on my iphone reading it at lunch with my nook appsince I don't want to carry my Nook...and I really didn't want to stop reading and go back to work. Still on part one since I'm working so hard right now and so many hours but YEAH I like it! I'm liking Katniss and I'm going to believe she will triumph in battle!!!...But I 'm hoping her partner doesn't have to be killed off and they both get away!!! Don't spoil it for me!!! ;)

I just finished the book this evening after getting home from work. I HAD to finish...just couldn't wait any longer to see what happened! I'll definitely be downloading the rest of the trilogy on my Kindle now! popcorn::

I just finished the book this evening after getting home from work. I HAD to finish...just couldn't wait any longer to see what happened! I'll definitely be downloading the rest of the trilogy on my Kindle now! popcorn::

I'm sure I will be too as soon as I finish this book. Good thing I have a Kindle so I can buy it in seconds and have instant gratification. :rotfl:

I'm sure I will be too as soon as I finish this book. Good thing I have a Kindle so I can buy it in seconds and have instant gratification. :rotfl:

Don't ya just love being able to do that?! Of course, that can get expensive too... :rotfl2: I am starting book 2 now...just can't resist. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter