• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The DaSilva's 1st Cruise! And, yay! It's Disney!! 1/23/10 Western Magic

Hi Kelli!

I finally got over here to see your report. You sound like a wonderful person and could be a cruise director yourself! :)

We're currently getting at least a foot more of snow on top of the 30"+ we already had, so I have a 9ft square area reserved for you to come pick up at your leisure. ;) Make sure you bring a flying sleigh because it truly looks like the blizzard scene from the Rudolph movie out there!

Colleen

I don't know about all that at the beginning, but thanks!! I will be there to pick up snow tomorrow! Kids will be thrilled!

TraciM - "Those are some cute kiddos and a very nice Grandpa. I wonder if they have a family yet????"

Nah, I heard they all got left there from the last cruise. We thought about adopting as they are VERY cute and nice!

DisneyDaddio - That Survivor is one of my faves! We LOVE Survivor and we all watch together every season. New one starts tomorrow!!! :banana:

ibouncetoo - Saw the dolphins! Way cool!

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments! Now on to the rest of day one and hopefully day 2! :dance3:

Loving your report!

I'm sorry I didn't pop by the DISmeet, I was doing....something :confused3 probably the three of us were getting stateroom storage divied up.

Monica and I ran upstairs for adult beverages and streamers and we did sail-away from our verandah...kind of a nice change from the wild party upstairs (which we could at least hear).

Did anyone see the DOLPHINS off the port side as we were heading out? Got a couple of photos of that. :thumbsup2

I wish I had seen them. I was keeping an eye out the entire trip.

To finish up day 1... (finally - longest day on earth, huh?)

Okay, so we left off, as I recall with sunset and time to get ready for the show. Hate to say, we totally missed the show! It was "All Aboard: Let the Magic Begin". Pretty much sums up the evening. We had big plans to see that show, eat dinner and hit the Match Your Mate and Magic Quest afterwards!

Did we make it? Let's see...

First of alll, I am not totally sure how we missed that show. Probably me taking my sweet time getting dressed for dinner! We realize we won't make it, so we go to the Promenade Lounge and they have Party Time with the Right Stuff Duo. They were pretty good! We were the only ones there for a bit and I hated that there wasn't a bigger audience for them. We had a great time listening to them while enjoying some lovely adult beverages. Not the kids, of course! They had a great time while enjoying some lovely carbonated beverages... :thumbsup2

Soon enough, it was time for dinner. And thank goodness because we were starving! We were on the PCLAAPCLA rotation so, of course, our dinner was in Parrot Cay. We got Sudama and Mia as our servers...

Cruisepix294.jpg

Great servers! Sudama (head server) has been with DCL for 11 years!! Wow!! Mia is saving up to get her master's and hopes to be ready for that in a few months!

We were shown to our table and there was another family sitting with us! Yay! I sat down next to the mom and turned to say hi and introduce myself and looked right at.....

Wait for it.....

Edie Falco!!!!

I kid you not!

Well, okay, maybe I kid you! :rotfl:

But I swear, Pam was a dead ringer for her! I actually started looking around for James Gandolfini! We started talking, and OH MY GOSH!! She sounds JUST like her too!!!

Fortunately, she was not, in fact, married to a mobster. Although it could come in handy to know someone like that, huh? :rolleyes:

She and her DH, Randy and twin DDs, were so nice and we had a great time with them! If they are reading this now, BOOK 1/22/11!! You know you want to go!!! :woohoo:

Here is a picture of all the kids:

Cruisepix239.jpg

Frankly, I could not tell you what we had for dinner. Parrot Cay looks neat inside and the food is not bad, but of the 3 places, my least favorite. If you are going to book Palo, Parrot Cay night is the night to do it...

And speaking of Palo... So we have reservations for dinner at Palo on Tuesday night. Well, that happened to be "show" night in Animator's Palate. We have never seen that so we don't want to miss it and the kids especially don't want to miss it. So I call and change the day. Okay, so what day (well, night) do we switch to? Monday night is Formal Night (also in AP), Tuesday, well, we know that's out, Wednesday? Oh, my no! Pirate night! This also happens to be in Parrot Cay, the one place I don't mind missing again.

BUT, 1st cruise....

Pirate night....

The boy has a costume....

We can't miss that one! So Thursday? Nope. Alex's 10th b-day! Will she mind if we miss it? Probably! :lmao:

So Friday it is. I book for Friday. Still not real sure about that one as it IS our last night! Do I want to miss that??? Stay tuned....

So, back to dinner. Food so-so, company fabulous! We finish dinner and the kids are wiped out! We take them back to the cabin, get them ready for bed, and INTO bed. We are going out!! There are parties to be had out there are we aren't going to miss out!!

Oh, wait a minute....

Was that a yawn? Or 2, or 3? I am dying! Way too much wine and the past 2 nights with WAY too little sleep. Maybe I'll just lie down a minute, THEN we'll go out....

Next up! Day 2!

To finish up day 1... (finally - longest day on earth, huh?)

Okay, so we left off, as I recall with sunset and time to get ready for the show. Hate to say, we totally missed the show! It was "All Aboard: Let the Magic Begin". Pretty much sums up the evening. We had big plans to see that show, eat dinner and hit the Match Your Mate and Magic Quest afterwards!

Did we make it? Let's see...

First of alll, I am not totally sure how we missed that show. Probably me taking my sweet time getting dressed for dinner! We realize we won't make it, so we go to the Promenade Lounge and they have Party Time with the Right Stuff Duo. They were pretty good! We were the only ones there for a bit and I hated that there wasn't a bigger audience for them. We had a great time listening to them while enjoying some lovely adult beverages. Not the kids, of course! They had a great time while enjoying some lovely carbonated beverages... :thumbsup2

Soon enough, it was time for dinner. And thank goodness because we were starving! We were on the PCLAAPCLA rotation so, of course, our dinner was in Parrot Cay. We got Sudama and Mia as our servers...

Cruisepix294.jpg

Great servers! Sudama (head server) has been with DCL for 11 years!! Wow!! Mia is saving up to get her master's and hopes to be ready for that in a few months!

We were shown to our table and there was another family sitting with us! Yay! I sat down next to the mom and turned to say hi and introduce myself and looked right at.....

Wait for it.....

Edie Falco!!!!

I kid you not!

Well, okay, maybe I kid you! :rotfl:

But I swear, Pam was a dead ringer for her! I actually started looking around for James Gandolfini! We started talking, and OH MY GOSH!! She sounds JUST like her too!!!

Fortunately, she was not, in fact, married to a mobster. Although it could come in handy to know someone like that, huh? :rolleyes:

She and her DH, Randy and twin DDs, were so nice and we had a great time with them! If they are reading this now, BOOK 1/22/11!! You know you want to go!!! :woohoo:

Here is a picture of all the kids:

Cruisepix239.jpg

Frankly, I could not tell you what we had for dinner. Parrot Cay looks neat inside and the food is not bad, but of the 3 places, my least favorite. If you are going to book Palo, Parrot Cay night is the night to do it...

And speaking of Palo... So we have reservations for dinner at Palo on Tuesday night. Well, that happened to be "show" night in Animator's Palate. We have never seen that so we don't want to miss it and the kids especially don't want to miss it. So I call and change the day. Okay, so what day (well, night) do we switch to? Monday night is Formal Night (also in AP), Tuesday, well, we know that's out, Wednesday? Oh, my no! Pirate night! This also happens to be in Parrot Cay, the one place I don't mind missing again.

BUT, 1st cruise....

Pirate night....

The boy has a costume....

We can't miss that one! So Thursday? Nope. Alex's 10th b-day! Will she mind if we miss it? Probably! :lmao:

So Friday it is. I book for Friday. Still not real sure about that one as it IS our last night! Do I want to miss that??? Stay tuned....

So, back to dinner. Food so-so, company fabulous! We finish dinner and the kids are wiped out! We take them back to the cabin, get them ready for bed, and INTO bed. We are going out!! There are parties to be had out there are we aren't going to miss out!!

Oh, wait a minute....

Was that a yawn? Or 2, or 3? I am dying! Way too much wine and the past 2 nights with WAY too little sleep. Maybe I'll just lie down a minute, THEN we'll go out....

Next up! Day 2!

Next time you HAVE to hit Match Your Mate. I have never laughed so hard in my life!!!!:laughing:

Great wrap-up of day 1.

Wife and I will also be watching Survivor tomorrow.

Us too, which is why I will not be doing day 2 tonight! :lmao:

A couple of things I forgot to mention on day 1:
Sea was rough that first night! You could really feel the ship moving around in Parrot Cay. A few minutes after we got to dinner the DD said she felt bad. Kind of sick to her stomach.:sick:

No....

NO....

NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!....

So I run down to the room and grab the pack of SeaBands I bought. Frankly, didn't really think they would work, but didn't want to go straight to meds as they have a tendency to knock me out, didn't want the girl to sleep through the cruise!

Put those SeaBands on and 10 minutes later....

Alex is feeling fine and even eats a pretty big dinner! She keeps them on 'til bedtime. Next morning at breakfast - same story! :sad2: Put them back on and she is feeling fine!:woohoo:

She took them off to swim later and never had to put them back on! May have all been psychosomatic on her part, but regardless... I am a SeaBands believer!! :worship:

Next time you HAVE to hit Match Your Mate. I have never laughed so hard in my life!!!!:laughing:

I am!! Already planning on taking some SimplySleep the 2 nights pre-cruise so I am not exhausted!! I was just kicking myself about missing that!

Very much enjoying your trip report -- gives me a way to excitedly anticipate our trip next month.

Can you tell me please what seabands are, where you purchase them, and what they cost?

Weather gods willing, we arrive two days before our cruise and I was hoping to pick up necessities such as seasickness medicine in Florida, rather than before.

Good to hear the seabands worked. My wife used these during her first pregnancy and they helped her with morning sickness. We're hoping to get a cruise next year and we're packing seabands and bonine (not going to take any chances). Hopefully they work for me, then I won't need to take the medication.

No update due to Survivor? That's what commercials are for. :rotfl:

papertraveller: seabands are wrist bands with a "nub" (yeah, I'm real technical) pressure point that helps some people with nausea. More info at:
http://www.sea-band.com/seaband.htm

You can find them at most pharmacies, etc. My wife just found a pair on sale at Walgreens for $2! (I think they are usually around $10, but best to shop around for best prices). Last pair and she snatched them up.

Very much enjoying your trip report -- gives me a way to excitedly anticipate our trip next month.

Can you tell me please what seabands are, where you purchase them, and what they cost?

Weather gods willing, we arrive two days before our cruise and I was hoping to pick up necessities such as seasickness medicine in Florida, rather than before.

The SeaBands I would go ahead and buy at home. You'll probably find a better price and the case they come in is pretty small!

Day 2 - Key West!!

Yes, finally, day 2!! Slept in for a great start to the day! Got up and went to Topsider Buffet for breakfast. They had plenty of smoked salmon, my favorite!! One thing of interest on the breakfast buffet is that they had hashbrowns/home fries here that were really good. Totally different from the "hashbrowns" you get in Lumiere's. Those are the McDonald's variety. I was pretty surprised to see those in what are considered the nicer dining rooms. They were really greasy too! Yuck! :sad1:

After breakfast we took the kids to the Lab and Bert & I set out to explore the ship. Wow!! Where did that blue, blue water come from? It was gorgeous:

Cruisepix105.jpg

Watched the ship come into Key West then went back to cabin to get ready for lunch and then go ashore. Picked the kids up from the Lab, went to lunch at Lumiere's (I think). We finally set out to go ashore around 2:30ish.

Cruisepix108.jpg

We are walking in Mallory Square when Bert looks over at me and says "Are you going to put something on your head or just get sunburned?". NOW you mention that you notice I failed to put on a wig, hat anything... :confused: Of course, as it's MY head, maybe you are thinking I should have thought of that myself? :laughing: That's a good one! I had taken my wig off and put a hat on because on deck it was so windy and hair kept blowing in my face. Took the hat off to change before going ashore and just forgot to put anything else on! Tres annoying! Times like that remind me of why I always had really short hair when I had my own hair! :rotfl2:

SO...........

I tell Bert & the kids to go walk around the square and I would be right back. I take care of the headcovering issue and get back off the ship...

I look around and see Bert kind off in the distance near what looks like a museum, maybe.

Oh, good, he took the kids to something cultural! :thumbsup2 Good for you DH!!

I get a little closer and see my precious children dancing around a group of statues. That is SO CUTE!!

I get even closer and see that the statues are in fact NAKED LADIES!!! WHAT THE HECK!!! Is Bert trying to get our parenting license revoked???

Although, now that I say that.... hhhhhmmmm.... :rolleyes1

No, no they are our children and we love them! So anyway, here is the scene that greeted me at the museum:

Cruisepix111.jpg

And this:

Cruisepix110.jpg

Actually pretty cool statues! There were a whole bunch of realistic looking statues doing all kinds of stuff:

Cruisepix109.jpg

I think my favorite is the one of the guy lying down at the base of the naked lady ring. Too funny!

We start walking to Hemingway's house. I really wanted to see those 3-toed cats! Oh, yeah, and soak up the culture too... :rolleyes:

We finally get there (maybe a couple of miles? not that far to walk). The kids, apparently, are about to DIE from walking so far. Yeah, right, get a move on kids!

We go in and see this on Hemingway's bed:

Cruisepix112.jpg

Those cats were EVERYWHERE! I have never seen so many varieties of cat in one house...

Alex & friend:

Cruisepix117.jpg

After exploring Hemingway's house sufficiently we head back toward the Magic via Duval Street. MANY interesting things to look at on this street! We found an art gallery that had a lot of Michael Godard's martini olive paintings. I love those....

Cool! In we go....

Oops, pictures of not quite naked ladies making out....

"Mommy, what are those ladies doing?"

And out we go..... :lmao:

We go a few blocks down and find....

Frozen Key Lime pie on a stick! Woo, hoo!!

Cruisepix118.jpg

We got one of those and a regular slice of key lime pie. Personally, I liked the regular pie better as did the DS. Of course, neither of us is really a chocolate fan...

Go a little further and see a guy with a big pink cockatoo (?), a python and a couple of other animals. You can take as many pix as you want with an animal for $10. See picture below:

Oh, that's right! $10 to take a picture? Don't think so...

While the kids are admiring the animals, I look around and see the Garden of Eden bar. Key West's ONLY clothing optional bar! :scared1:

P1001202.jpg

You will note the sign for the Lost Weekend liquor store just beneath. I would imagine that is how you end up in the Garden of Eden bar in the first place! :lmao: I am just dying to know how this works: are there lockers for your clothes? do they have disposable covers for the bar stools?

Not that I am going to find this out on my own! Not that brave! And EEEWWW sitting on a bar stool or chair that a naked stranger has been sitting on? Don't think so... Also, this place is on the ROOF!! Naked on the roof? :confused3 Whatever...

So we get back to the ship. Bert heads for nap-ville and I take the kids to the pool until time to get ready for shows and dinner. Get back to the cabin so everyone can shower and get dressed, and most difficult of all - wake sleeping beauty from his nap!

Cruise casual in Lumiere's for dinner tonight. Show at 6:30 is Ricky Kalmon. The show is hysterical!! Bert got picked to go up and get hypnotised! The kids were ecstatic but he wasn't able to go under, so someone else took his place. Later in the show I think the DH was considering himself quite lucky to not be up there....

Great show! He had one guy thinking he was Susan Boyles auditioning for Britian's Got Talent and he would get up and sing whenever the music came on... When the show was over, we went to the Promenade Lounge to enjoy an adult beverage and listen to some music til dinner time.

Dinner at Lumiere's was really good, but for me the real standout was the escargot. Could have eaten a ton of it!! Had a great time with Pam, Randy and the girls! By the time dinner was over, the kids were wiped out so we took them to the cabin to get them in bed before Bert and I went out to see another show. When we got there we found this:

Cruisepix120.jpg

Cruisepix119.jpg

Got the kids situated in bed and we went upstairs to see Team Rootberry. I wasn't too sure this was going to be that good, but it really was very funny and entertaining! Comedy and juggling all in one show...

Tomorrow is a sea day! And even better....

Palo brunch!!! I can't wait!

But you will have too! :rotfl: More to come...

Was not aware there was so much "cultural" things in Key West. Good to know. :laughing:

I'm hoping you have lots of pictures and details from Palo brunch. I hear good things about it.

Key west was eventful thats for sure. Can you believe my Dad paid $10 to get his picture taken with that dumb snake.:confused3 He had me taking the picture and I was shaking the whole time. I just knew I was going to get my Dad being squeezed to death by the snake on film.:lmao:

Loving it, Kelli! We did the trolley tour in Key West but missed the Hemingway House. My 5 year old would have loved all of the cats! Next year's cruise... We did love the trolley tour and the shipwreck museum, though.

Looking forward to the next installment! :cheer2:

I am patiently waiting for the next installment. It helps to relive the week so I am less homesick.:lmao::rotfl:

We go on the Magic in March - I loved reading your report!!
This is our first cruise, I didn't know about the pillowcase thing - when do the kids get it back?

We go on the Magic in March - I loved reading your report!!
This is our first cruise, I didn't know about the pillowcase thing - when do the kids get it back?

It is returned to your stateroom on the last night of your cruise, along with your sharpies. We got about 10 signatures on each case. Very cool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter