The DaSilva's 1st Cruise! And, yay! It's Disney!! 1/23/10 Western Magic

Oh my gosh...where did you get Alex's Beatles tunic? DD7 absolutely loves the Beatles (I've raised her right!!) and would die for a shirt like that! Her bday is only a couple months away. I'd love to get her one of those! :thumbsup2

We go on the Magic in March - I loved reading your report!!
This is our first cruise, I didn't know about the pillowcase thing - when do the kids get it back?

Thanks! We got it back on Friday night at turndown.

Loving your report!

Thanks!

I am patiently waiting for the next installment. It helps to relive the week so I am less homesick.:lmao::rotfl:

Starting now! Sorry it is taking so long!

Oh my gosh...where did you get Alex's Beatles tunic? DD7 absolutely loves the Beatles (I've raised her right!!) and would die for a shirt like that! Her bday is only a couple months away. I'd love to get her one of those! :thumbsup2

Got it at Wal-Mart at Christmas. It was in the Junior's department, or whatever they call the not kids, but not adults dept! I love that shirt too! You are raising your DD right... :rotfl: Ours listen to Beatles songs everynight going to bed, and I play them a lot in the car. Also have them listen to Elvis Costello & the Attractions and my DS REALLY loves Men At Work!

Got it at Wal-Mart at Christmas. It was in the Junior's department, or whatever they call the not kids, but not adults dept! I love that shirt too! You are raising your DD right... :rotfl: Ours listen to Beatles songs everynight going to bed, and I play them a lot in the car. Also have them listen to Elvis Costello & the Attractions and my DS REALLY loves Men At Work!

That's great! My DD also loves Queen and Janis Joplin (she likes the way she "screams" :laughing:)! I've never been so proud! :love:

There's a Kids Bop Beatles album out now that she wants...I think I'll get her the White Album instead!!

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out at Walmart.

Pirates of the Caribbean on TV, glass of wine in hand. Okay, try 2 for...

Day 3, 1st day at sea!!!

Or....

AKA - I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date!

1st at sea day we sleep in. Well, if you consider 8:30 sleeping in. And sadly, these days it is! Lots to do today and can't wait to get started. After we all got up and ready for the day I sent Bert and the kiddos upstairs for the kids to get breakfast because WE get to go to Palo for BRUNCH!!! I can't wait! I have heard so much about it and we weren't able to get ressies on-line so I was thrilled that I was able to get them once we got onboard. I am going to use some pix I found on Photobucket so you can see what we got to have there.

After ditching Bert & the kids.... I mean after sending my dear DH and much loved DS & DD upstairs for a nutritious breakfast to start the day, I ordered coffee from room service and sat down with my book (Castmember Confidential) and relaxed! I don't even know when the last time was that I got to have an uninterupted cup of coffee and today I had a whole pot!! :banana:

So, on the agenda for today:

Palo Brunch
Wine Tasting
Tea with the Mad Hatter

Bert gets back from taking the kids to Topsiders and then the kids clubs, we get dressed and ready to head to Palo. We get on the elevator, and who is on with us but Ricky Kalmon! Fun! We told him how much we enjoyed the show the night before and how disappointed the kids were that he would not hypnotise them. He said his kids ask him to all the time, but he won't do them either. Let me tell you, if I knew how to hypnotise people, my kids would be doing all the dishes and the laundry! :lmao:

How do you NOT take advantage of that talent? I also asked him if people can fake it and fool him. He said not really as they will always do something to give themselves away.

By this time, we are on Deck 10! We go into Palo and give the Maitre'D our name (after waiting a bit for no apparent reason). He is nice enough, but a little on the snooty side... We get seated right by the window and have an awesome view of the sea from almost in the middle of the aft deck. Gorgeous day! Our server, whose name I totally cannot remember is from South Africa. We had a great time talking to her and learned some really interesting stuff about working on the ship and about South Africa:

Most staff work about 14 hours a day.

They have to clock out at 15 hours 59 minutes (I think that is correct, might be 14 hours, 59 minutes)

They have different contracts, our server is on a 6 month contract so she works EVERY DAY for that 6 months and then get a couple of months off.

They share a cabin (usually with someone from their work area)

I asked how big the cabins are compared to our cat 10 cabin. She said probably about a fourth of that size!!

In South Africa if you are white (like our server is) it is almost impossible to get a job. Hence, she is working on a cruise ship.

So 1st we get a tour of the "buffet":

Seafood table: (aka: Bring me a chair, I will die a happy woman!)

DSC_0282.jpg

There was a ton of great cold seafood on this table! Boiled shrimp were huge! Tons of my favorite, smoked salmon, also salmon mousse, scallop salad, crab claws, crab legs, shrimp shooters, caviar and there was a bunch of vegetables. There was grilled asparagus wrapped in procuitto and topped with hollandaise that was absolutely fantastic!! I had a BUNCH of that!! Also ate a ton of smoked salmon as it is a favorite. The crab claws look really cute, but WAY too much work for very little reward. The scallops looked great, but I just can't do cold scallops so I did not try that. Tried caviar for the 1st time. Personally, I just don't get it... It wasn't bad, just not great. Kind of blah to me... The salmon mousse was really good, the shrimp was fabulous and I ate way to much of all of it!

and the back side:

bf5f.jpg

Breads & cheese:

79c2-1.jpg

Not a big bread person, but the cheese selection was wonderful. Brie, goat cheese, boursin cheese, cheddar and havarti and a bunch of sliced cheeses too.

Breakfasty breads & fruit: (aka: Home of Stollen Bread, both kinds)

566f-1.jpg

Again, as I am not a big bread person, I didn't hit this table until dessert. After reading so much here about old stollen vs. new stollen, I had to try both! They are definitely 2 totally different animals... or, well, breads... I had both with fruit and whipped cream. The old stollen (which they have recently brought back due to popular demand) was very good! Really more of a cake than bread. The new stollen is more of an actual traditional stollen bread. I loved both, but can definitely see that the old stollen is more to the taste of an "American palate" than the new. Personally, I'll take either one...

Pizzas:

cd4e-1.jpg

We had the grape & blue cheese pizza since I had seen so many raves about it. I was pretty good, but really not as good as I was expecting. Kind of disappointed there.

Hot breakfast dishes:

286a.jpg

I did not try any of these, only because I saw the Saltimbocca and new I would never be able to do both! All of the eggs looked wonderful, and I will be trying those next time for sure!!

Hot lunch dishes:

28a5-1.jpg

I had the Saltimbocca which was very good, tender, flavorful. A tad salty, but I think this was mostly due to the procuitto used in the dish. Fab sauce! Bert had the chicken dish, but sadly, all I really remember about it was that it did taste good!

Dessert table: (aka: the evil table)

a1c0-2.jpg

WOW!! If you are a big dessert fan, this is the place for you! Bert got about 5 different things. I got stollen bread for dessert. That vat of whipped cream was calling my name!

Okay, since I accidentally posted this before I was done, I will be doing this day in 2 installments!

Ahhhhhh, the goodness that is Palo's. Thanks you for all the pics and details. We're planning our first cruise and we're pretty set on adding a meal at Palo's. We're just waffling between brunch or dinner and I'm leaning more towards brunch.

Regarding the workers: I can't imagine working that many hours 7 days/week while living in such small quarters AND keeping in such good spirits providing good service. My hats off to them.

Day 3 - part 2!

We finally eat all we can possibly eat and then some! But, oh my gosh! We have 5 minutes to get to the total opposite side of the ship for our wine tasting!!

HURRY!!!

We skid into Sessions just in time!! Had a place setting with, I think, 7 different wines, white chocolate and milk chocolate as well as a booklet to take notes on. I had a great time here. Having been in the F&B biz for years and frankly, just loving wine, it was fun learning some stuff I did not know. The staff were very knowledgeable. Tried some really good wine and at the end got to try the Champagne that is bottled for Disney, "Fairy Tale". It was really good (although not as good as my fave, Laurent Perrier), but the best part was when the ship's Sommelier gave a demonstration of "swording" to open a bottle of Champagne. I have heard of this, but never have seen it. He used a knife as he said he could not get a sword on board... I am SO going to do this at our next dinner party!!! Get some really cheap "champagne" to practice on and go for it!

We finish up there pretty much in time for us to head down for a nap before I have to pick up Alex for Tea with the MH. For some strange reason, Bert and Kev did not want to do tea... :confused3

After WAY too short of a nap for me, I head off to pick up the DD for Tea. We have been looking forward to this "girl time" for while! We get to Studio Sea and all the tables are set with colorful tea sets and cookies!

Cruisepix121.jpg

We get settled in and out comes the Mad Hatter! He is going to have tea with us, but oh, no!! The March Hare and the Dormouse are not here!!

What to do, what to do???

Why, we pick a couple of kids from the audience, of course!! And guess who gets picked to be the March Hare...

Cruisepix122.jpg

Cruisepix123.jpg

We get everyone seated and the Mad Hatter teaches us how to do tea "the queen's way"...

Gentlemen always serve the ladies first, we put our napkins in our laps and we hold out our pinkie's to drink tea (which was actually apple juice)!

Cruisepix126.jpg

Then the MH says if you want more tea, you can do Clean Cup. I have NEVER heard of that, but strangely, the kids had been singing the Clean Cup song a day or 2 ago. Basically, you run around the table waving your napkin in the air and when you get back to your seat, your cup is clean (don't I wish! :rotfl:)

Cruisepix130.jpg

Cruisepix138.jpg

Me, Alex and MH:

Cruisepix140.jpg

Okay, bear in mind I HAD just gotten up from a nap! Hence the frumpy look I am rocking in this picture!! :lmao:

Afterwards, Alex & I wander around a bit before going to get Kev.

Tonight is Formal Night (yay!) and Twice Charmed is our show!!! I had heard about Twice Charmed and could NOT wait to see it...

Did it live up to expectations?

Did it disappoint?

We'll see.....

First, we go back "home" to change and when we are all ready, the DH & I load up, UMMMM... I mean pour a moderate glass of wine, and off the the show we go!

It did NOT disappoint! I just loved this show! The way they incorporated animation and live action was wonderful and I just LOVED the evil Fairy Godfather! He was definitely the best part of the show! Don't miss this one...

Next we went over to see Team Rootberry. They were fun and the kids had a great time sitting up front. Alex got lucky, again, and got to participate in a game where several kids got a roll of toilet paper and tried to knock over a pyramid of cups. She was the only one to actually hit it!

Cruisepix141-1.jpg

We were in Animator's Palate tonight, but not for the "show". Food was good and it was fun seeing everyone dressed up! After dinner we took the kids to the cabin,

This was waiting:

Cruisepix143.jpg

A cute, cute puppy. The kids are holding the napkin mice Sudama made for them. We tucked them in and off we went to see Ricky Kalmon's adult show. TraciM and her parents were there and we had a great time watching the people he picked to come onstage. So funny!! The guy he picked for the "cookies" part of the show was a RIOT!! He was totally under and really took Ricky's suggestions seriously. Everytime his wife shouted "Cookies" he would suddenly become very amorous and go start making out with her. The look on his face when she said that word was priceless! One time I thought Ricky wasn't going to get him back on stage!

When the show was over, Bert and I went to the Promenade Lounge to have a nightcap and off to beddy-bye for us!!

Day 4 - Cozumel coming at you tomorrow!

Ahhhhhh, the goodness that is Palo's. Thanks you for all the pics and details. We're planning our first cruise and we're pretty set on adding a meal at Palo's. We're just waffling between brunch or dinner and I'm leaning more towards brunch.

Regarding the workers: I can't imagine working that many hours 7 days/week while living in such small quarters AND keeping in such good spirits providing good service. My hats off to them.

I hate that we only ended up doing brunch, but if we missed one, I am glad it wasn't brunch! I am really looking forward to doing both next time...

Totally agree with you re: workers! I don't know if I could do that EVERY DAY for 6 months! I have worked some long days and gone longer than a week without a day off ( :sad1: - poor me! ;)) but nothing like that! Especially considering how rude some people are! I think it just showed me how lucky we are here that we are able to get jobs in our country (okay, maybe not so much right now..) and not have to totally leave to work. Sudama (our head server) has 2 kids at home that he sees twice a year for a couple of months, but he can't get a job at home.

Thanks for posting a review and pics from the Palo Brunch. We are really not interested in doing this, and after seeing the pics it pretty much seals it as neither of us are seafood eaters and it seems there is a lot of seafood there! Your morning did sound wonderful though! And I am now going to buy the Cast Member Confidential book...had never heard of it before so of course I had to look it up!

I WILL be doing brunch or dinner next time, even if it's alone.;) I had reserved a spot but everyone had stuff planned. Mom went to the Spa, Jesse to the gym and I forgot what my Dad was doing. Did they have any "cookies"????:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: I am going to pee my pants just thinking about it. The memorys that couple has of that trip....priceless.
2012 Alaska......Think you can talk Bert into it??? It's not tropical in the summer.

Thanks for posting details on the tea party. My daughters have been curious about this and I think they'll give it a try with my wife, if it's available.

Can't wait for day 4.

:headache::headache:Tinkerbell123 put WAY TOO MUCH!
:P
I was reading and got headache from SOOOO much!Who agrees!?!?

I agree, I got a headache but not from Tinkerbell123. What does "Ha? put WAY TOO MUCH!" and "from SOOOO much" mean?
I need to know before I can agree or disagree - vote yes or no ;) Basically, what's your point?

Great trip report! Love the pictures! Especially of the food! Who agrees?

Thanks for posting a review and pics from the Palo Brunch. We are really not interested in doing this, and after seeing the pics it pretty much seals it as neither of us are seafood eaters and it seems there is a lot of seafood there! Your morning did sound wonderful though! And I am now going to buy the Cast Member Confidential book...had never heard of it before so of course I had to look it up!

Be warned that Cast Member Confidential is pretty R rated. I read stuff in there that put images I could not get out of my mind whenever I would see a character on the ship. It is interesting though. I am now reading Mouse Trap by Kevin Yee. More G rated and, I think, (I hope!) more representative of castmember experience. Here is a good site to check out for books on Disney history if you are interested: http://www.2719hyperion.com/2009/11/bibliography-walt-disney-world-history.html

RE: seafood at Palo... There is a lot, but there is loads of other stuff too! You would definitely be able to try more of the hot dishes since you won't be porking out (like I did) on the seafood!

I agree, I got a headache but not from Tinkerbell123. What does "Ha? put WAY TOO MUCH!" and "from SOOOO much" mean?
I need to know before I can agree or disagree - vote yes or no ;) Basically, what's your point?

Great trip report! Love the pictures! Especially of the food! Who agrees?

Thanks! :hug: Couldn't find the OP from this, but whoever it was can certainly feel free to NOT read my TR! Pretty much totally ignoring that! :rotfl: Personally, I like long ones!

Thanks for posting details on the tea party. My daughters have been curious about this and I think they'll give it a try with my wife, if it's available.

Can't wait for day 4.

I thought it was really cute! My DS (7) thought it was too girly for him, but I think we wants to go next time when he heard his sister got to sit with the MH! Not enough cookies to get the DH there! :rotfl:

I WILL be doing brunch or dinner next time, even if it's alone.;) I had reserved a spot but everyone had stuff planned. Mom went to the Spa, Jesse to the gym and I forgot what my Dad was doing. Did they have any "cookies"????:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: I am going to pee my pants just thinking about it. The memorys that couple has of that trip....priceless.
2012 Alaska......Think you can talk Bert into it??? It's not tropical in the summer.

Girl, if I had known, I would have totally gone with you!!! Obviously, we just need to go on a girls-only cruise!

OK, now I'm starving! :lmao: Thanks for the brunch recap and photos. We had dinner at Palo and loved it. :lovestruc

We also did the wine tasting and loved that, too. Next time, we may be doing more than one of those. I heard that there is more than one type of wine tasting on the cruise. Love, love, love the grape.

Really great review. I am enjoying reading it. It makes me so excited for my upcoming cruise in October on the Magic.

Thanks! :hug: Couldn't find the OP from this, but whoever it was can certainly feel free to NOT read my TR! Pretty much totally ignoring that! :rotfl: Personally, I like long ones!

I thought it was really cute! My DS (7) thought it was too girly for him, but I think we wants to go next time when he heard his sister got to sit with the MH! Not enough cookies to get the DH there! :rotfl:

Girl, if I had known, I would have totally gone with you!!! Obviously, we just need to go on a girls-only cruise!

I am soooooooo game!

Be warned that Cast Member Confidential is pretty R rated. I read stuff in there that put images I could not get out of my mind whenever I would see a character on the ship. It is interesting though. I am now reading Mouse Trap by Kevin Yee. More G rated and, I think, (I hope!) more representative of castmember experience. Here is a good site to check out for books on Disney history if you are interested: http://www.2719hyperion.com/2009/11/bibliography-walt-disney-world-history.html

Nice TR so far! I look forward to the rest.

Here is a link to a shorter version to CM and life on the Wonder I believe. Its definitely eye opening to the CM experience. The articles are on the left side under the title...

Disney Cruise Line: A Cast Member in Training
http://allears.net/cruise/issue389.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter