The crashing pound!

oceanscape

DIS Veteran
Down to $1.47! :scared1: :scared1:

Looks like the election has had a pretty bad effect. Peaked at well over $1.51 yesterday - a $0.04 drop!

Uncertain times with world economies, concerns about high levels of European government debt sparked a massive fall on Wall St today, fell around 1,000 points before recovering to a 350 point drop.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10101581.stm

No doubt the FTSE will have a rough day tomorrow, my Barclays shares took another battering today.

This is before they announce the election result, fun times ahead... not

Im glad I ordered my currency through crown 2 weeks ago. got 1.58. Not going till sept so it may pick up abit ut at least have $1900 already.
Wayne I hope things pick up for you.I thing this election has and will cause a lot of problems to the ecocmy for a while.

Id like to think that the markets have actually been facing up to the fact that we are in hung parliament territory for the last week or so (granted there will probably be a small drop) but it appears that the city have some what pre-empted, and faced up to the reality of a coalition/minority government.

The test will come in the following weeks when we see whether a legitimate and STABLE body can govern. If it cant, then with financial instability in Europe coupled with our uncertainty over future economic policies we could be in for a battering.

Ps. Remember this is my opinion and im rarely right;) because if i actually knew what was going on id have already made my fortune and be living in Windermere/Dr. Phillips enjoying the good life:thumbsup2

Id like to think that the markets have actually been facing up to the fact that we are in hung parliament territory for the last week or so (granted there will probably be a small drop) but it appears that the city have some what pre-empted, and faced up to the reality of a coalition/minority government.

The test will come in the following weeks when we see whether a legitimate and STABLE body can govern. If it cant, then with financial instability in Europe coupled with our uncertainty over future economic policies we could be in for a battering.

Ps. Remember this is my opinion and im rarely right;) because if i actually knew what was going on id have already made my fortune and be living in Windermere/Dr. Phillips enjoying the good life:thumbsup2

:rotfl::lmao::thumbsup2 same here

Call me ignorant, but I don't see what the big deal is with a hung parliament. :confused3

:lmao: :rotfl2: I really appreciated this one!

I'll be keeping an eye on the ex. rate for sure... oh how I miss the days of $2 per £1!

i read an article on tuesday that the pound would crash right after the election...

but pretty much everything is crashing right now....the euro too...

Here in the US the stock market has taken a massive tumble today.

Lots of other stock markets around the globe feeling pain too.

My concern is that we (globally) are not really out of recession and the worst may be yet to come.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Just heard someone say on the news that the post-election climate is seeing pounds be sold left, right and centre. They expect the pound to continue to fall further over the weekend! Obviously nobody knows for sure what will happen, but it doesn't look good... :sad2:

Call me ignorant, !

ok then......ignorant

but I don't see what the big deal is with a hung parliament. :confused3
!

the big deal is no one is effectively in power, no one can lead, no one can make decisions because t'other main party can just vote against these ideas making it difficult pass laws this results in a lack of confidence from the money side of things, investments etc..

Makes me so relieved we got our dollars from a cancellation from Crown Currency in March for 1.75!

agree
i read an article on tuesday that the pound would crash right after the election...

but pretty much everything is crashing right now....the euro too...

the euro crashed ages ago.
re dollar It was at 1.3 last year anyway nearly, it has fallen 10c:confused3
The way I try to look at it, I save on my mortage I loose on currency, it is like everything in life it swings in roundabouts.

But I loved the 2 for a pound:woohoo: they were happy days.

Makes me so relieved we got our dollars from a cancellation from Crown Currency in March for 1.75!
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I rather smugly got a big bonus from work when it was nearly 2 to the pound and I cant believe I had the sense to swap it to dollars, sometimes I amaze myslef!:laughing:

It's actually pretty worrying/embarrassing that the pound is even falling against the Euro!

It was predicted this would happen in the event of a hung parliament. I'm glad I got my € the other day shame I didn't get any $ whilst I was there, hopefully it will stabilise at least or start to pick up by the time I go to the US

It's all just too depressing, the state of the politics (not just in this country!) and the whole currency exchange :sad2:

I'm buying a lottery ticket, with a whole lot of luck that might have a chance of cheering me up

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!