The Cat's Meow November 2020 Exercise Thread

Twilight Sparkle

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the November 2020 exercise thread! My family lost our cat of 17 years late this summer, so in memory of her and in honor of the cat new to my home and my heart, we will use this month to highlight the many cats of Disney.

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back! If you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. You can post daily or just catch up when you can. You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day.

Since November has 30 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 450
20 minutes/day = 600
30 minutes/day = 900
45 minutes/day = 1350
1 hour/day = 1800

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress.

10% - Bouncy Blue
25% - Outspoken Orange
50% - Pawsome Purple
75% - Purrfect Pink
90% - Regal Red
100% - Graceful Green

We’re officially starting this challenge on November 1st, but if you don’t find the thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join!! There's no better time than the present to start toward your goals! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Participants
Twilight Sparkle - 2745/2300
BonnieF - 75/500
sophy1996 -1200/1200
PollyannaMom - 485/500
ljcrochet - 771/1250
Elizabeth Smith - 740/700

-------------------------------
Team Total - 6016/6450 93%

Last edited:
Well, meow, meow! 😺 I'll try again for 500 this month.
You had a good long run with your angel cat - and welcome to your new one! While I don't have one myself, cats are special to our family. My angel nephew just loved all cats - he just couldn't learn enough about them. So they always bring me a smile.

I am in for 2300 again.

Welcome to the first day of this challenge. To kick off the month, let's talk about Lambert from the 1952 animated short film Lambert the Sheepish Lion directed by Jack Hannah. This is Lambert's story:

A stork is making a delivery to a flock of sheep. All the ewes get lambs except for one, but a lion cub makes his way out of the stork's sack and bonds with the childless ewe. The stork sees the lion is destined for South Africa, but decides to let him remain with the flock when the ewe has taken in the cub and named him Lambert. Because Lambert is different, he is ostracized by the rest of the lambs, which continues after he matures into a full-grown lion. However, when a wolf attacks the flock, Lambert is only one powerful enough to confront him. After scaring off the wolf, Lambert is now carried around as the flock's hero. And as for the wolf, he's last seen clinging onto a bush on a cliff. The narrator assures us not to worry about him. He has a place to cling; he won't starve because that bush has berries, every spring. (from Disney Fandom)

It sounds like Lambert is certainly a special kind of kitty, and you can watch his short here:

We have minutes on the board! Way to start off strong!

Fun Fact: According to my research, there are at least 201 Disney cats.

Any Phineas and Ferb fans in our group? If so, you might have heard of Mr. Fluffypants. I've personally never seen the show, so like Lambert, this Disney cat is a new one for me. He certainly looks adorable:

Here's what Disney Fandom has to say about this little cutie:

Mr. Fluffypants is a character in the Disney Channel animated series Phineas and Ferb. He appeared in the episode Spa Day. He was found by Doofenshmirtz while checking the mail and he took him in, naming him Mr. Fluffypants. Because he's so fluffy, he looks like he's wearing pants and he reminds him of his Uncle Fluffy Pants. While Mr. Fluffypants is messing with Doofernshmirtz's inators, Perry the Platypus believes that Doofenshmirtz is behind the disturbances, but Perry discovers the truth when Mr. Fluffypants messes with the inator that made Phineas and Ferb's spa disappear. In the end, Mr. Fluffypants had an original owner, who reveals the feline's real name is Mr. Cat. Doofenshmirtz then had to give him back and was not happy about it.

Today's Disney cat is likely more well-known than the previous two.

Sergeant Tibbs from the 1961 animated film 101 Dalmations was voiced by David Frankham. "Sergeant Tibbs is a tabby cat and a supporting character from 101 Dalmatians. He is the sidekick of the Colonel and also an ally to Pongo and Perdita, as he helps the couple rescue their puppies. Tibbs is considerably the Colonel's most loyal rank member (and most likely best friend). As a sergeant, whenever he is given an order by a superior officer, he will always be quick to follow that instruction. Tibbs is also shown to be easily startled when he is awakened by the Captain's loud neighing. However, like the Captain and Colonel, Tibbs has been shown to be courageous and resourceful in rescuing the puppies from Cruella. " (Disney Fandom)

Sergeant Tibbs sounds like a good cat to have around! It has been a long time since I've seen 101 Dalmations. It might be time to rewatch in honor of Sergeant Tibbs. Any Sergeant Tibbs fans amongst our ranks?

Oops! I forgot to mention my own color change yesterday - bouncy blue! So, yay me! Also yay for BonnieF and Sophy1996 AND our TEAM for reaching Bouncy Blue today. :flower::flower::flower:

Today's Disney cat is very well-known for his cunning and villainous ways. Say hello to Shere Khan from The Jungle Book!

Shere Khan is the main antagonist of Disney's 1967 animated feature film, The Jungle Book. A powerful, suave Bengal tiger, Shere Khan is deeply feared as the most ferocious predator in the jungle. His reputation was such that he needed only to show himself to intimidate his victims. Khan is also notorious for his animosity towards man, due to his hoplophobia (fear of guns) and pyrophobia (fear of fire). (Disney Fandom)

Shere Khan was voiced by a few people in the original film:

George Sanders (original film)
Bill Lee (original film; singing voice)
Jimmy McDonald (original film; vocal effects)

And in Disney's 2016 live action remake, he was voiced by Idris Elba.

Shere Khan, of course, owes his beginnings to author Rudyard Kipling who first wrote about him in 1894 in his wonderful collection of stories called The Jungle Book. Both Kipling's The Jungle Book and his Just So Stories were favorites of my daughter when she was younger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter