The Book of Daniel

LOL
Lutherans can be pretty wacky, though not nearly as wacky as the Southern Baptists we have down here. :rotfl:

TOV

OK, guys, are we ready for the next installment, involving our favorite priest with feet of clay?

Jesus am I ready!

Missed last week because of a cold!

Just booked a last minute Vegas trip online $$$ (In the last hour) with the X. (Yes the current knows and approves),

Need to get up early if I want a sneak peak at Everest,

Very busy time at work,

Needless to say...Mixing a very very dirty martini!

Bring it on!

Oh, Mike, I've had two dirtys! One Ttoo many! But I'm ready and waiting!

So excited........

The boys are counting down their vacation clock.....

I get to ride Everest in the AM

Vegas in three weeks

And a dysfunctional Protastant family on TV!

Does life get any better?

hey Viki, toss me an olive!

OrlandoMike said:
So excited........

The boys are counting down their vacation clock.....

I get to ride Everest in the AM

Vegas in three weeks

And a dysfunctional Protastant family on TV!

Does life get any better?

hey Viki, toss me an olive!

Here it comes.... CATCH....... IT!!!!!!

NBC pulled the plug on this show.

Oh well it was fun while it lasted! :confused3

OrlandoMike said:
NBC pulled the plug on this show.

Oh well it was fun while it lasted! :confused3

Why is it those who have a limited or narrow view of Christian Religion have the right to dictate what can and can not be on TV. The Christian Right does not pay my cable bill. My TV remote comes with an off of switch, if they did not like the show then they could switch to Wrestling.

I don't want to jump to conclusions. Why was the show pulled? Was it ratings or pressure from the Christian right?

If it is the latter, then, well, one more reason to get angry.

I am not nor have ever been Christian and am getting tired of having "Christian Values" shoved down my throat as regular as asprin.

But, I will reserve my dose of getting worked up for the day until there is further information.

mendlethemouse.jpg

I am a Christian (they sort of make that mandatory before they ordain you to be a minister in the Christian faith), but I enjoyed the show. Oh, well, at least there is still Numbers, which appeals to the science geek who also lives inside of me. Have we already seen the last show? :(

iankh said:
I don't want to jump to conclusions. Why was the show pulled? Was it ratings or pressure from the Christian right?
If it is the latter, then, well, one more reason to get angry.
I am not nor have ever been Christian and am getting tired of having "Christian Values" shoved down my throat as regular as asprin.
But, I will reserve my dose of getting worked up for the day until there is further information.

It was unfortunately all about the pressures of Right wing Christians putting the screws to the NBC Network and Advertisers. :mad:

Viki said:
I am a Christian (they sort of make that mandatory before they ordain you to be a minister in the Christian faith),

However, it must be readily admitted that a lack of faith in Jesus Christ doesn't seem to be considered much of a handicap for those seeking ordination as perhaps it once was. Among some of the "young bucks" I see at the local Lutheran seminary it almost seems to be a prerquisite.

Lutheran pastor here, ELC in Canada.

Let us not forget confirmation class as a right of passage. This is most certainaly true.

Well, I can answer my own question, not more Book of Daniel. Not tonight, not any night. Gosh darn.

He was your boyfriend? Way cool.

I'm bummed too. It wasn't the best show on TV, but it was fun. Last night it was back to Numbers, which I used to like, but I walked away thinking it wasn't the best written show on TV either - one cliche after another, at least "The Book" wasn't that.

Shugardrawers said:
I absolutely adored this show and I'm angry that some fanatical right wing christian group gets to decide what I watch. I'm sick of this crap!!! :furious:
FWIW, it wasn't the fanatical right wing Christian group that got NBC to pull the plug...it was the ratings. T.V. is a business and if there's not enough customers for your product, you're going to change products if you want to continue to make money. I know there was some controversy in some markets where NBC stations pulled the plug on the show prior to it airing. I think that was wrong...people should have the choice and make up their own minds.
My dh is a pastor and watched it a few times and really enjoyed it (I would have too, but I'm wiped out and in bed by the time it came on!). From his synopsis, I think the show gave a realistic look at what can happen (especially to a pastor's family) if we turn our eyes away from Jesus.

gr8ful4Him said:
FWIW, it wasn't the fanatical right wing Christian group that got NBC to pull the plug...it was the ratings. T.V. is a business and if there's not enough customers for your product, you're going to change products if you want to continue to make money. I know there was some controversy in some markets where NBC stations pulled the plug on the show prior to it airing. I think that was wrong...people should have the choice and make up their own minds.
My dh is a pastor and watched it a few times and really enjoyed it (I would have too, but I'm wiped out and in bed by the time it came on!). From his synopsis, I think the show gave a realistic look at what can happen (especially to a pastor's family) if we turn our eyes away from Jesus.

Yes and no, while it was technically ratings...how did the Christian Right affect them? After all, many, many, ministers and churches were on this campaign before the first show aired...and some folks who normally would have watched it, then made up their minds as to whether they liked it, were told from the pulpit not to even watch it.

Chuck S said:
Yes and no, while it was technically ratings...how did the Christian Right affect them? After all, many, many, ministers and churches were on this campaign before the first show aired...and some folks who normally would have watched it, then made up their minds as to whether they liked it, were told from the pulpit not to even watch it.
Ok, I agree with you on this...sometimes people in the church hear "such 'n such" Christian organization or a preacher say things about something and they then decide they will just go by their opinion and not watch/listen/play it. But then again, isn't that the way that alot of entertainment arenas work? Take movies for instance...a reviewer says a movie is nothing but garbage, boring, or whatever and gives it thumbs down...and alot of people don't go to see it. The ratings go down and it's out on dvd before the projectors have a chance to cool down.
...but don't believe that people always adhere to what is said from the pulpit. lol

This is the artilce I found...........

One NBC affiliate after another dropped the show. Advertisers ran from it. And, apparently, despite all the controversy it generated, so did viewers.

Nashville's WSMV-TV General Manager Elden Hale, Jr. said: "Based on a review of the first three episodes and the clearly voiced concerns from our viewers, we have determined that the program 'The Book of Daniel' is not appropriate for broadcast television in this community."

After the first three episodes, only Burlington Coat Factory was left as a national sponsor.

The heat began to generate for the show following WND's first story. Shortly afterward, the American Family Association launched a national boycott, citing WND's story.

AFA Chairman Donald E. Wildmon said NBC's decision to cancel the program is instructive.

"This shows the average American that he doesn't have to simply sit back and take the trash being offered on TV, but he can get involved and fight back with his pocketbook," he said.

The network had to absorb millions of dollars in losses each time it aired the program, Wildmon pointed out, because the show's sponsors bailed out.

"We want to thank the 678,394 individuals who sent e-mails to NBC and the thousands who called and e-mailed their local affiliates," he added.

Besides Nashville, other NBC affiliates across the nation either never aired the show or stopped broadcasting it. They included Hattiesburg, Miss.; Meridian, Miss.; Jackson, Miss.; Amarillo, Texas; Wichita, Kan.; Beaumont, Texas; and Terre Haute, Ind.

Only six episodes of the "Book of Daniel" were shot. Kevin Reilly, NBC Entertainment president, said the network's reluctance to order more episodes had more to do with the series' sluggish ratings performance than controversy.

"We're going to continue to put on creative programming, regardless of any possible controversy," Reilly said last week. Earlier, he announced the cancellation of "West Wing."

The network has slated an episode of "Law and Order" in place of "Daniel" for this Friday at 10 p.m. Eastern.

That really really really really sucks that it is not on!!! I loved that show!!! I am not gay or a religious fanatic either, but I never missed it. Now what am I supposed to watch? :confused3

The show was only on for three weeks, if the ratings were bad for another show, the show would have been moved to another time slot and heavily advertised. I am fully convinced this show was pulled due to pressure from the "W" crowd.

It really irks me how these people think they can control everyone's life!

What happend to the day when if you didnt like something you simply did not watch it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter