The Book of Daniel

Viki

<font color="green">Mid-town Manhattan, anyone?</f
OK, you have to forgive me, but as a religious professional (with nothing else to watch) I felt compelled to tune in last night and catch the premier episode of the "The Book of Daniel." Apparently the religious right has been busily weighing in their shock and awe, so here's my review:

1. The theology was very weak. In a nutshell? They should hire me. I'll take them to the same place, but with more nuance and depth, while the end product is still easily digested by the masses. Think Carl Sagan, only in theology, rather than physics.

2. Love the martini-swilling wife. Hmmm, wonder why?

3. Love the vicodin-popping pastor with the pesky parishioners. (No vicodin-popping here, but see #2).

4. OK! Of course I love the gay son. But he'd better not be as angelic as they're setting him up to be. Some real co-dependency issues lurking there.

5. ADORE the adopted Asian son. What a free spirit. Bring it!

6. Ellen Burstyn could be my Bishop any day of the week, especially with that miter! Fashion rules, baby!

OK, any thoughts?

I thought I'd catch it for the heck of it, having seen all the press.

The first 15 minutes were OK, but a half an hour into it I realized I had another addiction on my hands!

Anyone who has grown up in the midwest as a Luthern can certainly understand all of the things that are "swept under the carpet" in this show!

I loved it!

Mike

Watched it tonight from being taped last night. Wow. I didn't recognize the name Ellen Burstyn (how silly of me) until I recognized her. My mind immediately went "VIVI DARLIN'!". Squee! :teeth:

I thought it was..interesting. I'm going to watch to see what develops, merely out of sheer morbid curiosity. Though I did like Jesus..he was a pretty interesting character.

TOV

I dunno, I didn't really think much of the show. It didn't seem to have much of a point, IMO. But, I'll give it another shot and probably, like TOV, watch it out of morbid curiosity.

I thought it was over the top. Way too many things going on at the same time in one small immediate family. Definitely not another addiction for me. They should hire some of the writers from Six Feet Under.

OrlandoMike said:
I thought I'd catch it for the heck of it, having seen all the press.

The first 15 minutes were OK, but a half an hour into it I realized I had another addiction on my hands!

Anyone who has grown up in the midwest as a Luthern can certainly understand all of the things that are "swept under the carpet" in this show!

I loved it!

Mike

OMG, Mike. YOU were raised Lutheran? I am a Lutheran pastor!

Enough said!

I liked this show, it seems a little more subtle than Desperate Housewives. And the way Jesus is portrayed is nice, helpful, giving advice but not being "pushy", a nice laid back guy, no hellfire and brimstone.

I liked the show, but did not like the way it portrayed the Episcopal Bishops or Rector. At least all the Bishops I know are not having affairs with one another. We will watch again to see where it goes.

That reminds me..did anybody else find the way they portrayed the wife with Alzheimer's a little disturbing? :eek:

TOV

We had TiVo'd it and watched it tonight. We sort of liked it. Need to see how they develop it.

I enjoyed it but couldnt see what all the hype was about. The family is definitely more fun the Camdens though! :rotfl:

Viki said:
OMG, Mike. YOU were raised Lutheran? I am a Lutheran pastor!

Enough said!
'

Wonder bread, Grape Juice, Covered Dish, Jello Molds, Pot Luck suppers in the church basement!

That Luthern enough for ya? :rotfl2:

TheOtherVillainess said:
That reminds me..did anybody else find the way they portrayed the wife with Alzheimer's a little disturbing? :eek:

TOV

Disturbing in what way? Sadly, that's what Alzheimers is. The portrayal was quite accurate. I liked the show very much. A little wicked in it's humor but I enjoy that. The pace was a little frantic at times but I'm sure it will find it's pace. I found nothing offensive so, as usual, the people that were so offended were the people that already had their minds made up to be offended.

OrlandoMike said:
'

Wonder bread, Grape Juice, Covered Dish, Jello Molds, Pot Luck suppers in the church basement!

That Luthern enough for ya? :rotfl2:

Don't forget the Women's Altar Guild annual spiral bound cookbook with ten different recipes for hamburger upside down casserole.

eclectics said:
Don't forget the Women's Altar Guild annual spiral bound cookbook with ten different recipes for hamburger upside down casserole.

Vacation Bible School! The list goes on and on.......

OMG..I grew up in a Lutheran Church and this is so funny,because it reminds me of growing up.

Most of our 'older kids' (3-5th grade and up)Sunday school classrooms were in the former parsonage (which sat across from the church itself). We called the basement "The Pit". XD

And according to church legend, the reason the youth group quit taking annual trips to Turner Falls,Oklahoma to go camping is that EVERY SINGLE TIME they went up there, somebody came back pregnant. :rotfl:

We also had an annual play based on DaVinci's "Last Supper", with the Eucharist being passed down the aisle instead of being recieved at the communion rail.

TOV

OM gosh I'm Lutheran and I've been to Turner Falls - but not pregant! :)

Hmmmm...Interesting thoughts on this show...Now I have to try and catch the next one since I missed it....Thanks for all the reviews ;)

Viki--LOL

Did ya'll also have like these weekend lock-ins that were supposed to make you more spiritual? I forget what they were called, but it was run by a volunteer group of older teens/college students and you could only go once. One of the highlights was getting a 'warm fuzzy' (basically a yarn pompom ball) from people you made friends with over the weekend. :)

TOV

Hey, TOV. I'm afraid I'm a convert to Lutheranism; I grew up Baptist, though we too had lock-ins, but nearly as elaborate (or as PRODUCTIVE) as yours!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter