THE Auction scene was the last thing Walt saw

I know several people who feel hurt when they see someone drinking alcohol because of events that happened in their past. Should Disney then do away with the Food & Wine festival because of that?

Should Disney change their plans to update an attraction just because a few disgruntled people don't like it? Disney didn't do this in response to complaints. They did it because THEY recognized that there's a market for a female pirate character. The people complaining are the ones who are against the change.

The Pirates ride was a "gentler" depiction of real pirates than Walt (and whoever designed the ride) imagined at the time. We know this to be the case because nobody is literally being killed or raped in front of us; the streets are not red with blood. It's supposed to be played for comedy and a little thrill. Well, what we consider a gentler and appropriate-for-children depiction of pirates has changed. Thankfully. We don't see it as amusing when women are sold into sex slavery. It's not fun for everybody to see. The change does bring it back into line with an attraction meant to be enjoyed by the whole family, which was the original point.

How about "elitism"? When everyone is allowed an opinion unless it disagrees with their own.

I too think it should be changed, however, I can respect those who feel it is a product of its time and should not.

One of the podcasts I listen to said that in some of the original drawings for the ride, the red head was a pirate, so it's not as far out as people seem to think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter