The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

DAY 11- Most Boringest Day EVER!
Way to sell it!

There is no better way to start off a day than to have over $800 recovered.
Yeah, I can't think of too many things that would be better.

Texas is large. You can drive for what seems like 9 years and still be in Texas.
Truth. A whole lot of nothin' out there.

Oddly, in a couple of days, when we traveled from San Antonio to our next stop in Louisiana, we’d still have about 9 years left. If you think I’m exaggerating, you’ve clearly never driven I-10 through Texas.
Nope, I'm right there with you. All of the Great Plains are a "pick your poison" as far as drives go.

Texas Rule #1- Eat BBQ.
Yes. A thousand times yes.

We were up all night long. Literally. By morning I was one giant welt with (again, I do not exaggerate) about 400 mosquito bites which, and I cannot even believe I would ever say this, was far worse than the bed bug extravaganza from Ashfork.
:scared: This sounds Everglades bad!

But Texas Rule #3 states that when you’re driving through it and have never seen the Alamo, you must.
Also true.

Unfortunately, this collides with Steppe Rule #1- Don’t wait in line to see a tourist trap, especially if it involves spending any money whatsoever.
Hmm. I'm not sure I would classify it as a tourist trap, as it has real historical significance. But certainly they are operating it as a tourist attraction.

The line to go into the actual Alamo building that everyone knows was hella long and since it was both hot and expensive, we decided to just walk around the monument and see what else there was to see.
Yeah, I think we skipped that as well. I was glad they had a little movie outside explaining how the battle went for my kids to watch.

I wasn’t bowled over with the wow factor I thought it might have. It was just simply too touristy for my taste. Enjoy the few photos I did get.
The actual building was smaller than I thought it would be.

I’ll spare you the suspense and tell you now that Steppe did not end up in the Emergency Room for a blood transfusion.
Thank goodness for small favors.

ohhh... okay. Got it now.
... the nickel drops.
Unfortunately with the new DIS, if you quote something twice... you can't get rid of it anymore.
I really don't love the new quoting format on here. At least the emojis are back.
Impressive.
And of course. No point in buying art you don't like.
Oh don't get me wrong, there was plenty of art I loved, but $$ and space.

I've experienced the 9 years drive through Texas, too. It was during a Geology trip during spring break when I was in college. We traveled from central Illinois, which added some more years to the trip. Some of the destinations included Big Bend National Park and Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. The highlights of the trip included the gorgeous caverns, the armadillo walking around our campground and one of the Geology professors getting bitten by a scorpion (which is why you don't sleep outdoors in Texas). At least the weather was nice.
OH geez, yeah, that'd be a looooong trip! Yeesh! I've heard though that Big Bend is absolutely stunning. Someday maybe I'll check it out. Loved the caverns as a kid and next year I'm going to go to the Karchner Caverns near here. It sure sounds like you experience a good old-fashioned Texas! LOL!!

This is a good rule. We don't like tourist traps, either.
I'd so much rather see off-the-beaten path stuff, but once in a while I do like to see what all the hype is about. Usually I wish I'd spent more time at the places the hordes DON'T get to.

Then I guess I don't have to read further.

Well... there seems to be more, so I guess I'll stick around.
I"m glad you did! I mean, you'd have missed Reuben sammies and cannons- the next best thing after exploding helicopters.
I bet! You must've been grinning ear to ear.
You could tell, could you?
:laughing:
Anti-climactic.
Yeah. Kinda like driving through Texas only to see the Alamo. #itstiny
So... you're saying this was a long day?
At least there was BBQ at the end of it.
Fort Stockton.

Hey, it's your map.
Nope. Not there. I mean I could dig back through my credit card statement, but I'm just not that dedicated.
So similar in size and excitement to driving across the prairies.

1649515327725.png
I have no idea!! But yeah, I"d imagine it's a lot like what I picture.

So do you pee at from a moving car? Or do you get out and pee at it on foot?
If the latter, how do you do that without getting arrested? Or do you flee before the cops show up?
I'm an expert roadtripper.

Yes.

Yeah... same here, when driving through Saskatchewan.
Boooooring.

I was wondering what that was! That seems... odd? I wonder why it has to be chopped. Do you put it on the bread?
I think @DaisyDuck001 grabbed this one! Thanks, Daisy!

My first thought was "Snakes?"
Of course, I read on...
Oh I"m sure there are plenty of those too.
Or roll up your windows.

:rolleyes1
Couldn't. It was VERY hot. We'd have suffocated.

Pristine? Like new?
Ever driven through Florida in summer. Kinda like that.
I would think so. You're certainly not allowed to forget it.

:rolleyes:
Wah, wah, waaaaah.....
Is this like the immovable object and the irresistible force?
Like my personality.
Quasimodo?
Hey good guess!
"somewhat amusing"
Isn't it a big deal (historically speaking) in your country? I sure got that impression.
Yes, I suppose it is, but Z and I went to a place just as much so, but less well-known after this.
Love this shot! :thumbsup2
All your shots are great, but this one stood out, for me.
Thanks! Thought it was a fun capture.

You must've itched something fierce, though.
Yea, kinda sorta.

Rob and I went to the wedding of one of our college friends in San Antonio a few years ago. We were so excited to visit The Alamo while we were there. Let me set your mind at ease--you didn't miss anything much inside. It was so full of people when we visited, too, that we couldn't barely get close enough to read the signage that was displayed, and we spent much more time taking in the same things you mentioned/pictured outdoors.

I hope your visit included a stroll on the Riverwalk! Our visit was short, but we really enjoyed that while there!
That's what I imagined too. They'd let BIG groups in at a time on guided tours and I just didn't see the value in that. There were plenty of signs and history outside that gave us a great feel for the place (which isn't even the original site) so we stuck with that.

Stay tuned... :)

I’m happy to finally be able to announce that I’ve been accepted into a Masters/Family Nurse Practitioner program beginning in either May or June!!

Oh wow! This is my first time multi quoting on the new DIS and it's weird!

Congratulations! That's great. I missed whether this was online or in person.

By day’s end, we’d clocked over 7 hours of driving/rest time and 382 miles.
And on little twisty, windey, roads. That sucks.
Described as a “one hundred-year-old restored Mexican territorial inn”,
OK....that sounds...interesting
The cacophony of squawking parrots, the clanking of dishes being served, and the laughter and chatter of the many guests still dining was loud and clear in the lobby.
Well that's good. I hate being the last people closing down an establishment.
Knowing my margarita-loving self, it was the Classico Grande because Grand Marnier makes ALL margs better.
Yes, it definitely does!
True to New Mexican food, this was SPICY and very delicious!!
Sounds like Fran and I might not be able to handle much food in New Meico.
I poured a cup of coffee that Linda had ready and browsed around the home.
Looks like a nice enough place.
the Gallup Police Department telling us a good Samaritan had turned in the rugs and they’d be delighted to ship them to us
Oh good!
Texas is large. You can drive for what seems like 9 years and still be in Texas.
Yes, I drove from San Antonio to Houston and back once.
If you think I’m exaggerating, you’ve clearly never driven I-10 through Texas.
::yes::
By morning I was one giant welt with (again, I do not exaggerate) about 400 mosquito bites which, and I cannot even believe I would ever say this, was far worse than the bed bug extravaganza from Ashfork.
Ugh. I would never stay in Texas without an air conditioned hotel room. That is one if the hottest places, and you don't get the ocean breeze to cool you at night.
Luckily, they did have a very rudimentary, basic cabin available for only a small upcharge and we took it.
Score!
The line to go into the actual Alamo building that everyone knows was hella long and since it was both hot and expensive, we decided to just walk around the monument and see what else there was to see.
You're not missing much. I've been inside and it wasn't all that exciting, and waaaay to touristy.
Between that and the heat, I could barely keep my eyes open and the rest of the day was rough going.
I bet!

Way to sell it!
Hey, Texas roads just don't make it easy!
Yeah, I can't think of too many things that would be better.
$800 wrapped up inside when we opened them in Bowling Green?
Nope, I'm right there with you. All of the Great Plains are a "pick your poison" as far as drives go.
Pretty much!!
Yes. A thousand times yes.
I knew this would be a chapter that finally caught your attention.
:scared: This sounds Everglades bad!
I think Texas should pay every camping tourist for a plasma donation.
Hmm. I'm not sure I would classify it as a tourist trap, as it has real historical significance. But certainly they are operating it as a tourist attraction.
It does, to be sure, but I guess the inside was something I could save money on while seeing a lot outside. Plus, we did have another, imho, equally historically stop to make.
Yeah, I think we skipped that as well. I was glad they had a little movie outside explaining how the battle went for my kids to watch.
Wait, I didn't see that. Then again, might have been closed d/t Covid.
The actual building was smaller than I thought it would be.
That's what I heard.

Oh wow! This is my first time multi quoting on the new DIS and it's weird!

Congratulations! That's great. I missed whether this was online or in person.
It IS weird!! Not a fan.

It's mostly online, with the last 6 months practicing in a clinic.
And on little twisty, windey, roads. That sucks.
Pretty much. It was pretty tedious and I was sure tired when we got to our stop.
OK....that sounds...interesting
I loved it!
Well that's good. I hate being the last people closing down an establishment.
The service starts to take a down turn for sure.

Yes, it definitely does!
Mmm!! Yum!
Sounds like Fran and I might not be able to handle much food in New Meico.
Oh I think you'd like the soups and you can order some things less spicy. :)
es, I drove from San Antonio to Houston and back once.
Yuuuuuuuck.
Ugh. I would never stay in Texas without an air conditioned hotel room. That is one if the hottest places, and you don't get the ocean breeze to cool you at night.
Yep, lesson learned for sure. Never again!!!
You're not missing much. I've been inside and it wasn't all that exciting, and waaaay to touristy.
I'm not disappointed and the next stop more than made up for it!

... the nickel drops.
:blush:
I really don't love the new quoting format on here. At least the emojis are back.
I don't mind the new quoting format. And of course, if you need the old format, you can always quickly convert to BBcode to do what you need.
Oh don't get me wrong, there was plenty of art I loved, but $$ and space.
Ahhh...
I"m glad you did! I mean, you'd have missed Reuben sammies and cannons- the next best thing after exploding helicopters.
Never was a fan of Reubens. And cannons... just are okay. Nothing tops exploding helicopters.
You could tell, could you?
Oh, sure. I just pulled up the archival footage from the hidden camer.... umm...

Just a lucky guess.
Yeah. Kinda like driving through Texas only to see the Alamo. #itstiny
It is?
At least there was BBQ at the end of it.
::yes::
Nope. Not there. I mean I could dig back through my credit card statement, but I'm just not that dedicated.
What?!?!? What kind of trip reporting is this?!?!?!?
I'm an expert roadtripper.

Yes.
:lmao:
Couldn't. It was VERY hot. We'd have suffocated.
I wonder if you would've preferred that, come morning.
Ever driven through Florida in summer. Kinda like that.
ew.

And yes. I have. During love bug season.
Like my personality.
:scared:
Yes, I suppose it is, but Z and I went to a place just as much so, but less well-known after this.
::popcorn
Yea, kinda sorta.
:rolleyes2

Texas Rule #1- Eat BBQ. I’m a ribs kind of gal. And I like my sauce sweet and spicy.
Good taste. That's my favorite too.
Texas Rule #2- Do NOT sleep outside. Ever.
Nope. Never.
Luckily, they did have a very rudimentary, basic cabin available for only a small upcharge and we took it. Suffice to say, my hoped-for early start was delayed by a lot. We had to pack up and move over to our cabin which ate up another hour. Ah well, better than being eaten ourselves again that night.
I'm glad that they were able to find a place for you so that you don't have to donate too much blood to the mosquito population.
I felt like crap and just wanted to sleep. But Texas Rule #3 states that when you’re driving through it and have never seen the Alamo, you must.
You can't forget about the Alamo... or something like that.
Unfortunately, this collides with Steppe Rule #1- Don’t wait in line to see a tourist trap
Good rule to have. Sorry it has become such a tourist trap. As one who enjoys history, it really is a shame that a place of historic significance like that has become just an overcrowded tourist trap.

D is for: Driven by Water; Directed by God

Our next stop took us to the outskirts of town. The sky was partly cloudy, and my mind was partly operational having been assaulted by Benedryl a few hours earlier. Between that and the toasty weather, staying awake had become increasingly difficult. Nevertheless, we pressed on because you just never know when you’ll pass this way again. Being a history nut, the Mission San Jose sounded interesting and far less touristy than the Alamo. Sure, there wasn’t a big battle at San Jose, but the quiet life of a mission brought rest and safety to all who found shelter there which is pretty monumental in and of itself.

Here is a nice little write up of life at the mission should you care to delve deeper.

https://www.sanantonio.gov/Mission-...os233-Mission-San-Jose-y-San-Miguel-de-Aguayo

Although it is a National Park, Zach and I didn’t see a place to pay anything, which was good and bad. I mean, it’s great that it is apparently free to visit, but I sure would have loved to have been able to whip out that National Park Pass I’d bought! The mission buildings are nicely maintained and give a great picture of what the living conditions would have been like during the Spanish Colonial times.

There are some very well done diorama type exhibits to explain what the different parts of the mission were used for and how life was lived day to day. Sadly, no photos of those. I blame it on the Benedryl.

In addition to the “museum-y”parts, the mission still holds Mass every week. Had there been a service I'd have partaken. Given that it is a functional church, they ask for a certain decorum and reverence.

Sources say that the rose window on the south side is the finest remaining example of this craft in the US. Sadly, I didn’t know about it or notice it, so don’t have a decent photo; instead, I shamelessly pilfered this one off the nets. Wish I’d known so I could have appreciated it properly.

"MISSION SAN JOSE DE AGUAYO of San Antonio, Texas, called the Queen of all Missions, has the most photographed window in the world, “THE ROSE WINDOW”. It is a “poem of perfect beauty”. The Rose Window like everything of beauty, ever awe-inspiring because of the intricate carving, is considered by connoisseurs to be the finest single original piece of Spanish-Colonial ornamentation existing in America.

Famous throughout the civilized world is the renowned ROSE WINDOW OF SAN JOSE MISSION, admired yearly by thousands of visitors from all over the United States and many foreign countries.

To this day, the delicacy of the artistic carving and the creative originality of its design have not been surpassed. When one considers the date of its conception, early in the 18th century (some say about 1775), it becomes a truly remarkable undertaking.

One of the most interesting and realistic of the legends that cling to the romantic old Mission is that pertaining to the Rose Window.

A handsome young Spaniard came to the New World to gain fortune and fame so he may make himself worthy of the beautiful Rosa, the girl who had bade him farewell and was now waiting word from him.

She lived in a little Village. As soon as he had made a suitable fortune, she was to come to “NEW SPAIN” and meet him at SAN JOSE MISSION."- https://txssdac.org/the-rose-window-of-san-jose.html

1650239703293.png
This is the best photo I got of it.

More photos of the buildings and grounds:

After we toured the main buildings, Z and I went out a bit further and stumbled on the historic (still operational) mill. This was so cool!! I did VERY little research about this stop before going so had no idea this was a thing, but I sure am glad we got to see it. Apparently when there isn’t a pandemic, the Parks actually fire this baby up using the ORIGINAL works including the water wheel for demonstrations. Wouldn’t that be a sight?! The same waterways that feed from the nearby San Antonio River have been restored as well. As Z and I were figuring out how it all worked together a middle-aged guy was giving his family a tour and said that years ago he worked it as a docent giving the tours while he was getting his MA in History and was explaining the process, so it was like we got a free guided tour.

Eventually, I succumbed to the heat and drugs and had to call it quits. We headed back to our KOA, bug-free cabin for some R&R.

Unfortunately, we were met with bugs that bugged me and people that bugged me more. (You didn't really think we were done with bugs, right?)

Seriously, what is wrong with people these days? Does no one have any regard for anyone else anymore, or is everyone totally clueless about the use the public space?

I have absolutely ZERO clue what or where we had dinner, or even if we did. What I do know is that my bug bites were itching like crazy again and I thought that some water on them might relieve some of the itching.

1650241064123.jpeg

It was also time to do a bit of laundry. Off to the pool we went, dropping off a load of laundry on the way. Unfortunately, a bunch of rude yahoos were in there with a gigantic speaker/amplifier/whatever blaring the most obscene, graphic rap and pop which made ANY chance of relaxing go up in smoke. A couple of the group were roaring drunk to boot and throwing F-bombs around like candy at a Christmas parade. #proudtobeaprude Did I mention there were kids in the pool? I gave up after 20 minutes or so and bailed to sit by the laundry room to get my stuff in the dryer. My heart was heavy at no pool time, my body ached from sleeping in crappy places for too long, and I needed some quiet and sleep. Back at the cabin, the evening greeters were out to welcome us home assuring me I’d have another sleepless night.

1650240959355.jpeg
1650240986675.jpeg

I read for a while, went back out to grab the laundry from the dryer and went to bed not sure if I’d wake up with spider bites on top of the mosquito bites. Texas: Where everything is done super-sized.

Last edited:
Ok, Friendlies!

Replies another time. It's down to crunch time with packing for another long road trip and getting my rig all prepared for Summer/Fall storage. It's no small task.

As a side note! I was able to have a short DISMeet with DaisyDuck001 yesterday in Casa Grande, about an hour north of Tucson for lunch. We had a very nice visit and it was great getting to know you in person! Perhaps our paths will cross again next year. :)

Happy Easter to each of you!

Last edited:
Being a history nut, the Mission San Jose sounded interesting and far less touristy than the Alamo.
I think that Fran and I visited there when we went tinSan Antonio and drove to Houston
Eventually, I succumbed to the heat and drugs and had to call it quits.
I bet. Texas weather can suck.
Back at the cabin, the evening greeters were out to welcome us home assuring me I’d have another sleepless night.
Ugh I'm Sorry. You should only stay in hotels in Texas. I know this for sure now.

Hope you had a lovely Easter Sunday and that the packing up is going well.
Sorry you got bitten and bugged and encountered some foul-mouthed people who probably bugged you more than any insect! Some people are simply selfish sods ( that’s the politest way I can think to say it) and shouldn’t be allowed around kids. At least the laundry got done I suppose.
Loved your trip to Mission San Jose. It looked fascinating. Amazing to think that the mill still works. Beautiful place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter