The ABC's of Sauntering Through WDW- J is for: Just Like That, It's Judiciously Ended! (4/23)

I am surprised honestly that since visiting there, I've only run into a very small handful of mentions or full reviews. As in maybe 2 others. Maybe it's the best kept secret of The Springs now?

It’s very new. It used to be called Portobello. It’s run by the same people as Paddlefish. Michael has been a fan of their’s for a long time. We had a number of very good meals there. I think it is on the high end of prices for Italian food so that’s why a lot of people seem to not consider it.

We went there on our last trip because they had a BOGO offer for National Spaghetti Day. I loved the spaghetti with meatballs I had! I am really happy to hear that you had a good experience there, too. Michael has eaten there twice since the redo and twice at Maria and Enzo and thinks Terralina is much better. I can’t comment, we didn’t make it to Maria and Enzo.

Also: with a lot of restaurants at WDW you can now get reservations via Open Table and we find this far easier to use and more reliable than MDE, especially for third party restaurants.

It’s very new. It used to be called Portobello. It’s run by the same people as Paddlefish. Michael has been a fan of their’s for a long time. We had a number of very good meals there. I think it is on the high end of prices for Italian food so that’s why a lot of people seem to not consider it.

We went there on our last trip because they had a BOGO offer for National Spaghetti Day. I loved the spaghetti with meatballs I had! I am really happy to hear that you had a good experience there, too. Michael has eaten there twice since the redo and twice at Maria and Enzo and thinks Terralina is much better. I can’t comment, we didn’t make it to Maria and Enzo.

Also: with a lot of restaurants at WDW you can now get reservations via Open Table and we find this far easier to use and more reliable than MDE, especially for third party restaurants.

See?! I didn't know it was the old Portobello; just never made it there in the past since I went to infrequently until recently. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but with an appetizer and the bread, it's plenty to share. I think I'll stick with Maria and Enzo's with the kids in Sept just to try it, plus they are bigger eaters now and M&Es might end up being less expensive in the long run.

That's GREAT to know about Open Table. I've been thinking about downloading the app and now have a good reason to do so. Thanks!

Open Table also has some Disney operated restaurants. Mainly the ones at the resorts. And the advantage is that you don’t have a cancellation fee.

Ooh great review! We've been curious about this place for a while now, after I read a review from an allergy-friendly blogger-type that I follow online posted some photos of tasty-looking gluten free noms. Glad it didn't disappoint! I think you're right that it's not very well-known, which seems like a shame after your review.

I had never heard of this restaurant before today. I have fallen behind on new eateries since moving, especially when it comes to Disney Springs. That being said, the bread and caprese salad looked quite tasty. Glad the reservation was available last minute, although I'm sure waiting the 40 minutes past the time wasn't ideal. At least there was a cozy looking fireplace and chairs to help pass the time.

Interesting review. I believe I had heard a little about Terralina and the fact it used to be Portobello, but I had never read a review. I certainly looks good and not terribly high priced for Disney standards. It's always good to have Italian options around since that is my family's favourite.

it's like Elsa horning in on Norway.

The "n" is silent.
Not the "n" in "in", "on" or "Norway"....

Awlrighty then, Cowboy!

Yeehaw!

:lmao:

But, that won't happen in May. Nor will DTD. Headed straight to O'hana to start the next trip off. :)

Oh, nice! Another place that's on my list. Someday! (But not this year... but some day!)

It's March in Winnipeg. You have a lawn??

Of course we do. Don't be silly. You just have to dig down a few feet to see it.

I do. We had a code today at work and I'm exhausted. The week's been.... long.

Oy. That doesn't sound fun at all. :hug:

YES!! And I imagine I'll stay there again sometime.

I'd like to too. But... lately, I just stay at the values since I'm not at the resort very much. This trip... well... you'll see. Um... eventually.

No, you were A) riding rides with K and B) sitting cozy like any Canadian would in 50 degree weather.

Because A) that's what a Dad should do and B) of course. When it's warm like that I want to enjoy it.

HAHA! You weren't the only one wondering. :) Glad I made you think a little.

;)

Let us know if you do!

Not this trip. But it's on the list.

I really would like to go there someday!

Looks cool!

They intrigue me. I may pop into Guest Relations and ask.

Or just ask a bus driver.

:rolleyes2

Fair enough.

I did see it. I liked it too!

Right now it may very well run hot. Been a long week.

Uh, oh... here's hug #2 :hug:

WAIT!!! Come baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Well... okay. But only because I like your writing.
And your photos are pretty darn good too.

And you came through in spectacular proportions! LOLOL!!!

:rolleyes1

giphy.gif

That's hilarious! :rotfl: I've never seen that movie but I'm kinda thinking I should. :laughing:

At least I didn't sneeze.

ew

Sigh.....

Let me try this again.

No... you have to load first so you can sit on the

LEFT!!!!

LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driver's side.

OKAY!

Short-term usage of my Annoyance O'Meter.

But be careful with it. I need it back in working order, or I'll be... annoyed. ;)

Sheesh. All these rules. Annoying.

Failing.

Neglecting.

Forgetting.

Not doing.

Thank you.

It was during it that I realized it was a mistake.

Oh, dear... Hug #3 coming up. :hug:

Thanks, and hope to get plenty of rest THIS weekend.

Did you?

Yep! And now, that should be it for the coldest and snowiest bits of winter.

This morning I heard on the radio that the forecasters have said that we will not have any more extreme cold warnings this winter.

So that means we can for sure expect more extreme cold temperatures.

Good..sauntering, not that inferior sashaying stuff. ;)

:sad2:

The sound of a braying jacka.... ummm... person.

(You know I'm kidding, right?)

If only!

I really need one these; it'd come in so handy!!

You mean you don't already have one???

There is a place in Anaheim I'm dying to go to someday called the Blind Rabbit.

http://www.theblindrabbit.com/

I remember that! And Ruby and I were almost there. I just didn't realize it at first.

I am very well behaved at parties and only occasionally spill drinks on my friends. :snooty:

I can vouch for the spilling part.
As for the "well behaved"... well...

And you'd think that for all the drinks she spills that she'd pee less.
You'd be wrong.

Your new mantra... repeat after me:

"Sauntering is a good thing."

Philistines!

I'll be back to read the update a bit later.

I'd just hit the wall. There was very little oomph left in me and my tootsies were tired.

Disney. It's not for the weak.

Sauntering mode was long over; I was reduced to a slow slog.

Definitely on your last legs if you can't muster up even a lowly saunter.

I slowly got all packed except for my ditty bag (does anyone else call their toiletries bag this?).

No.

Blood, sweat <no Oxford comma> and tears and all that....

Shots fired!

"Hey Steppe, you've spent a lot of money making sure your thighs are never going to be the same. Why stop now?"

:laughing:

Calories don't count at Disney. No one told my stomach.

The MDE POC app

:rolleyes1
Tell us how you really feel about it.

HEY!! What's this? Terralina? I'd never even heard of it or at least it certainly wasn't on my radar at that point.

Never heard of it until now.

They told me it'd be a bit since I got my ADR so late in the game.

BS. If they can take an ADR, they can take an ADR. When you book it is irrelevant.

There are 2 patios for eating and I requested to be seated on the one that is against the water.

Very nice.

I was right where I could watch the amphicars come and go while I ate.

Cool! That must've been fun. :)

I may or may not have gotten seated under the wrong name as well. Seriously. I'm not sure. I thought I heard my name, but it was unclear. I stood up anyway.

Liesa took someone else's table! :eek:

Caprese - vine-ripened tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil, balsamico $12

mmm.... yes please.

Spaghetti Bolognese - tomato, beef, pork, pancetta meat sauce, shaved parmesan $24

What??? No way! My favourite dish! I am so putting this place on my list.

and let me enjoy my bread, which came with bruschetta, and my iced tea. I'm usually pretty careful to not load up on bread saving room for the main stuff. But I can say it was absolutely delicious. Warm, crusty and mmm!!

mmm, indeed!

If someone had been with me, they may have left with a fork sticking out of their hand.

Note to self. Next time (?) I dine with Liesa... be very quick with the fork.

Especially, if you're hitting up Amorette's or Ghiradelli afterwards. Which makes me sound like a real pig, doesn't it?

:laughing: Please refer to earlier comment about calories not counting.

It was pretty late by the time I finished up but I was thrilled I'd found a place that I really love now. I don't think I'd go there every trip simply because DTD has so many good places to offer, but I was quite impressed with my discovery and would totally recommend it to anyone for a good plate of Italian comfort food in a casual, relaxing space.

Thanks for the review! :goodvibes

You do realize that I’m going to see you.
You further realize that I’m going to write about it.
Hmmm... now whatever shall I write?
I could think of many things, but I don't want to spoil it for your readers.

Just suggestions: Exploding helicopters an alien that keeps.showing up in the strangest places and hopefully no more road debris or objects attacking you.

C is for: Crusty Loaves, Colorful Caprese, and Completely Surprised
Still in DTD but on a different night altogether, making this my 3rd! trip there on this trip, I had an unexpected but completely delightful, delicious meal.

Originally, I had an ADR for Tiffins, but sadly... I'd just hit the wall. There was very little oomph left in me and my tootsies were tired. Since this was my last night, I decided to head back to POFQ and do my packing and lay down a little maybe. Time would tell.

Sauntering mode was long over; I was reduced to a slow slog. The Disney Departure Blues had hit hard, and I hung my head a bit as I boarded the bus "home". I was sad.

I entered my room to find one last towel animal, but don't have a photo of it. Why, you ask?

Because Mt. Vesuvius had opened up again and I was busy leaving Mousekeeping a bloody surprise. It was Halloween, after all. I slowly got all packed except for my ditty bag (does anyone else call their toiletries bag this?). I took down all my cute little window decorations, pilfered all the soaps and lotions, then laid down for a few minutes. Pretty sure I took a rinse off as well. Blood, sweat <no Oxford comma> and tears and all that....

And then... all of that stomach stretching I'd been practicing all week began to talk to me.

"Hey Steppe, you've spent a lot of money making sure your thighs are never going to be the same. Why stop now?"

"Hey Stomach. Shut up. I don't have an ADR. Besides it's Italian you want and that's gonna be hard to find."

<or is it?>

The MDE POC app was fired up and I started to look at menus for DTD. I wanted another soothing boat ride and one last dose of Disney. I tried Maria and Enzo's but no ressies until way too late. Enzo's Hideaway was too noisy; I needed a quiet place to cry in my spaghetti. HEY!! What's this? Terralina? I'd never even heard of it or at least it certainly wasn't on my radar at that point. Boom! 7:00 is was!

I arrived a little before sunset and told them I was there. They told me it'd be a bit since I got my ADR so late in the game. That was fine, I wasn't in any hurry to be done. I took the time to snap some photos on my cell phone and then took a seat in the very comfortable waiting area.

The fire was nice and the chairs quite comfy.

There are 2 patios for eating and I requested to be seated on the one that is against the water. The evening had cooled down and it was beautifully pleasant outside. I did end up having to wait almost 40 minutes for a table, but it was worth the wait! I was right where I could watch the amphicars come and go while I ate.

I think there was a mix up when I was seated because it took a long time for me to get my bread and water.
The server seemed genuinely surprised and flustered when she noticed I was there. I may or may not have gotten seated under the wrong name as well. Seriously. I'm not sure. I thought I heard my name, but it was unclear. I stood up anyway.

Anyway, after a bit, she took my order of:

Caprese - vine-ripened tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil, balsamico $12

Spaghetti Bolognese - tomato, beef, pork, pancetta meat sauce, shaved parmesan $24

and let me enjoy my bread, which came with bruschetta, and my iced tea. I'm usually pretty careful to not load up on bread saving room for the main stuff. But I can say it was absolutely delicious. Warm, crusty and mmm!!

The salad was equally amazing. There were probably 5 different kinds of heirloom tomatoes, both cherry and slicing varieties with fresh mozzarella and fresh basil. I wished it had had a bit more basil, but for the most part it was all very, very good.

I was REALLY hungry by then being so late so I made a HUGE dent in the ample bowl of pasta. If someone had been with me, they may have left with a fork sticking out of their hand. I can say that for 2 light eaters it was enough to share. Especially, if you're hitting up Amorette's or Ghiradelli afterwards. Which makes me sound like a real pig, doesn't it?

It was pretty late by the time I finished up but I was thrilled I'd found a place that I really love now. I don't think I'd go there every trip simply because DTD has so many good places to offer, but I was quite impressed with my discovery and would totally recommend it to anyone for a good plate of Italian comfort food in a casual, relaxing space.
I'm not at a real computer, so no Multiquoting...

I can't believe you gave up an ADR for Tiffins! Sacrilege.

You left a bloody surprise for housekeeping? Hopefully it's the British type of bloody and not literal. If the former, was the surprise taking all the soaps? You know they're going to hunt you down niw, right? Liesa the hardened criminal. :lmao:

When you made the ADR is immaterial once the ADR is made! Either the time slot is available or it isn't. Not cool!

At least being able to see the amphicars is cool even if you stole someone else's seat. I'm seeing a trend developing here...
Assault and battery of a wall
Assault and battery of a sack
Theft of soap and toiletries
Theft of seat
Stabbing of people who attempt to share your food
I'm kinda a bit concerned about meeting you in May.

The sauce makes or breaks the spaghetti. As does the pizza sauce...why I don't like papa johns.
More garlic, oregano, basil and sometimes even more garlic! The problem is most places have to be concerned about it being too strong for some and they tend to under season a bit. The problems lies in adding seasonings without allowing them to cook in helps, but doesn't taste the same.

Really good bread can save an otherwise non-stellar Italian meal. I like garlic rolls the best, but good bread works.

Calories don't count at Disney, so how much of a pi.....err...how much did you enjoy at Ghiradellis?

Sauntering mode was long over; I was reduced to a slow slog. The Disney Departure Blues had hit hard, and I hung my head a bit as I boarded the bus "home". I was sad.

That's never a good feeling. Ever.

Because Mt. Vesuvius had opened up again and I was busy leaving Mousekeeping a bloody surprise.

Yuck. Not again!

I needed a quiet place to cry in my spaghetti.

Sometimes we have to laugh in our lasagna so we don't cry in our spaghetti.

I was right where I could watch the amphicars come and go while I ate.

Now that would be a fun mealtime view.

The server seemed genuinely surprised and flustered when she noticed I was there. I may or may not have gotten seated under the wrong name as well. Seriously. I'm not sure. I thought I heard my name, but it was unclear. I stood up anyway.

D'oh! Meanwhile, some poor shmuck spent 3 hours in the waiting room.

Oooh, that looks good.

If someone had been with me, they may have left with a fork sticking out of their hand.

Note to self: don't eat with Liesa.

Which makes me sound like a real pig, doesn't it?

Not at Disney World. You sound normal.

I don't think I'd go there every trip simply because DTD has so many good places to offer, but I was quite impressed with my discovery and would totally recommend it to anyone for a good plate of Italian comfort food in a casual, relaxing space.

Well, now this place is on my radar!

I use opera and yes it's better. Even better still---> ad block browser.

The site I found said you can only use ad block on a computer. These days I have so little time at the computer. Most of my DIS time is on the phone.

Bummer, but I know some people really aren't into sharing food. Just means you'll have to go back and try it later.

Me, my mom, and Fran will share, he wont get as many tastes if he doesn't want to share!

I'm sooooooooo happy for you two!

Except now we have to ask some tenants to leave. The new ones told me the ones upstairs fight, loudly. :sad2:

You'll get there. :thumbsup2

I just made my clothes list while I'm having my pedicure.

Because Mt. Vesuvius had opened up again and I was busy leaving Mousekeeping a bloody surprise

Oh no! Not again! :scared1: I've actually been having a lot of bloody noses too. The doc said to get Calendula cream and put it on a Q-tip and put it inside my nose. Evidently the cold weather dries up the sinuses and they bleed.

(does anyone else call their toiletries bag this?).

Um....no. :rolleyes2

HEY!! What's this? Terralina? I'd never even heard of it or at least it certainly wasn't on my radar at that point. Boom! 7:00 is was!

I've never heard of it either. I'm going to have to look that up after this!

I approve, but you're right needs more basil.

Sounds delicious!

I can say it was absolutely delicious. Warm, crusty and mmm!!

Looks good!

Especially, if you're hitting up Amorette's or Ghiradelli afterwards. Which makes me sound like a real pig, doesn't it?

It's your last night, live it up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter