The ABC's of Sauntering Through WDW- J is for: Just Like That, It's Judiciously Ended! (4/23)

Well, it had it's family drama as all visits to Ohio tend to do. The day before Thanksgiving my uncle came over to my grandparents house and was up on a ladder and tugged the cord of a leaf blower he had up on the roof and it came flying down and beaned him in the head. My mom was freaking out as he had a gash on his forehead that was bleeding quite a bit. I told him I thought it needed stitches but what do I know....

Yeah, ummm, it's not like you're an expert or anything. :rolleyes2

(to force my uncle to act like a normal person :laughing:

:lmao:

. My uncle caused some unrest over the carving of the turkey.... My mom had asked him the day before if he wanted to carve the turkey since my grandfather is unable to do so nowadays and my uncle did not say yes or no. Since he didn't bother to answer my mom went ahead and carved the turkey before it got served on the table. My uncle then got annoyed as he said he was going to carve the turkey! :confused3:rolleyes: T

I guess giving no answer entitles one to give any answer they want at the last minute.

NOT.

I went out Black Friday shopping which I don't think I will ever do again. Way too crowded, it was almost anxiety provoking. :laughing:

I'm content to sip strong coffee in my cozy pamamas and order everything I need online.

Okay, Ladies and Gentlemen, after 3 sessions of DISTime, I am finally caught up here. I'm off to a friend's place to bake cookies and devour lasagna, but hopefully I will soon get to your threads and read my little heart out. I can't promise multi-quoting, but promise to read and enjoy!! Cheers; I'll have a glass of wine for y'all. ;)

We shall see... a surgeon is reviewing my case this week.

Hope the news is good. Thinking of you.

Well, yeah!! How often do you get to see train cars askew and off the rails?

I can count the number of times I've seen that on zero hands.

I don't see my situation easing up much this week. Busies season at work. Which is both good and bad. Great extra hours for $$$, but wears me out and very little DISTime.

I can see how this time of year would be busy for you.

Where'd ya go? See anything fun? Or all work and no play?

Work.
Went to Cornwall, ON.
Not much to do there.
Mind you, it's much better than what it used to be. Now you can breathe without gagging.

You know, I wonder about their maintenance staff... been that way a long, long time.

Shoddy.

I see what you did there!!!!

CLEVER!!!

;)

There's just so many good things to try!

::yes::

Just me being pretty silly.

And that's why we love ya!

So you also have CRS Syndrome.

I think it's actually sleep deprivation. I'm starting to show some not so good signs... :(

Yeah, just when Disney comes up with something great and interactive, poof! Gone.

Oh well. I'll just go and do the Animation studio. That's fun at least.

It was very rude. And frankly, sort of baffling. Like there were no personal skills in her DNA.

Odd.

No, but the good news is that I CAN breathe again. And it doesn't hurt to cough anymore.

Good!

Berry works. WARM with a tad of vanilla ice cream. Leave the crust on the plate, and you're set.

I'll pass on the ice cream. I'm a purist, perhaps. But yes to leaving the crust.

But, the real question is would YOU?

Hmmm... Can they fix my back and neck?

My couch is the most comfortable place I can be right now.

:hug:

But if I'd been TOO front on, I'd have gotten ONE horse in my photo. NO?

move a bit more... then you'll get the same effect, but noses instead of manes.

I disagree. There were 3 classes, and the 3rd Class, the bourgeoisie, were highly skilled. Much moreso, probably, than the Nobility whose only "skill" was feasting and carousing. Anyone can do that. So, if you're insinuating that "lower classes" saunter, then bring it. I'd take a skilled (handsome) commoner over a privileged aristocrat any day.

I'm getting the feeling that maybe I'm insulting you. Not my intent. At all. Was just teasing.
I don't really care if anyone sashays, saunters or crawls. To each his (or her) own.
Sorry, if I gave you the impression that I was insinuating anything other than a completely tongue in cheek discussion.

And I'm neither handsome nor an aristocrat, so that leaves me out.

Again, sorry for any insult. None intended.

IRL, I likely have a herniated disc in C6 or C7, that is making life a bit of a living purgatory right now. My neck and left shoulder blade area are “on fire” most of the time and my arm and hand are tingly and numb if I sit, bend, turn, or look just, “wrong”… which also seems to be most of the time. :rolleyes2 I’ve tried high doses of NSAIDs which made me become a giant walking bruise (picture your 90-year old grandma whose hands have various random bruises covering them); I’ve tried Gabapentin (a med specifically made for nerve pain); I tried massage, Prednisone, muscle relaxants, heat, ice, and rest. It is only getting worse. I am really hoping to avoid spinal fusion or disc replacement surgery but know very well it could end up there. Remember Boys and Girls, body mechanics and making wise choices matter. I can think of far more entertaining ways to mess up your back. Meantime, it’s one day at a time, trying to keep my head above water while I make the best of this Season.

Ouch! I'm so sorry about your pain! It sucks getting older…I find I am having aches and pains where I never used to. Hope you're feeling better ::yes::

Very clever trick of doing the alphabet in DHS. I would never have the patience for that! And I didn't realize the Jawa's weren't there anymore either, I thought I just kept missing them :rotfl:

‘E’ was easy as I entered the Twilight Zone. This elevator worked for me pretty well, since it’s one of my top favorite rides and I never miss it.
That elevator is the best!

‘G’ gets double points because I like both of my grabs: Green Army Men and the Gas Pumps. YAY me!
Love the photo of the green army men on the move!

This iconic, Haunted Hotel satisfied Letter ‘H’ for me. How could it not?
Oerfect!

Behold, Jawas for Letter ‘J’.
I love the Jawas.....like you, I think I may have ventured into Launch Bay once so I had no ideas the Jawas were gone either!

In addition, because I thought it was clever, I got a photo of a very special KEY while standing waiting for RD. If that’s the key to open HTH, I want it.
I would like that key too!

It’s halfway through the alphabet and it’s been a loooooong week. Besides that, I have a raging cold and feel like crap. I want to keep my chapters short and also hope to spend some time catching up on your threads as well this weekend. :)
So sorry to hear you have been having a difficult time lately. I really hope you are feeling better soon. Nice to see you back on the boards!:hug:

Omg that maple bourbon cheesecake was the BEST! My favorite dessert from the festival. You did really good in two days too!
It's good the F&W has so many different things...something everyone will enjoy.

I was quite the opposite with the maple bourbon cheesecake. I love maple and pecans, but the cheesecake wasn't cheesecake to me...more like a pudding and I tossed it. I guess since I make a really good cheesecake, maybe I'm a cheesecake snob. :lmao:

Glad you liked it though.

Hope the news is good. Thinking of you.

Saw pain doc today and will a) have an epidural steroid injection and b) start some traction with PT. The surgeon (different doc) is still reviewing my case.

I can count the number of times I've seen that on zero hands.

I'm wondering if most people have the same count.

I can see how this time of year would be busy for you.

Maybe it'll ease up in the Spring, but... bills to pay.

Work.
Went to Cornwall, ON.
Not much to do there.
Mind you, it's much better than what it used to be. Now you can breathe without gagging.

Gagging? Was there a paper mill there? NOTHING stinks worse than a Weyerhauser plant.

I think it's actually sleep deprivation. I'm starting to show some not so good signs... :(

Ruh, roh. :( Hope you can find the sleep you need!

Oh well. I'll just go and do the Animation studio. That's fun at least.

Ummm, about that..... :scared:

I'll pass on the ice cream. I'm a purist, perhaps. But yes to leaving the crust.

Heh, I just think of it as a dish of ice cream with some sweetened fruit on top.

Hmmm... Can they fix my back and neck?

No.

That is the one body part that is doomed from the moment you are born, and when it goes, you can kiss all semblance of ever being pain free again good bye.

move a bit more... then you'll get the same effect, but noses instead of manes.

Ah! Maybe if I ever get back there I will do a study on this shot.

I'm getting the feeling that maybe I'm insulting you. Not my intent. At all. Was just teasing.
I don't really care if anyone sashays, saunters or crawls. To each his (or her) own.
Sorry, if I gave you the impression that I was insinuating anything other than a completely tongue in cheek discussion.

And I'm neither handsome nor an aristocrat, so that leaves me out.

Again, sorry for any insult. None intended.

Erk, um NO!!! No offense at all and was just teasing in like kind. REALLY it's all good! <saunters away unashamedly ;) >

Saw pain doc today and will a) have an epidural steroid injection and b) start some traction with PT. The surgeon (different doc) is still reviewing my case.

Well I'm glad there seems to be some progress. Hopefully what you have planned so far will help ease that pain.

Maybe it'll ease up in the Spring, but... bills to pay.

I hear that. I keep working overtime to pay those pesky things.

Gagging? Was there a paper mill there? NOTHING stinks worse than a Weyerhauser plant.

There were several. I think the textile mill was the worst one. But there were others. SO gross.

Ruh, roh. :( Hope you can find the sleep you need!

Not yet. But trying hard to find a bit here and there.

Ummm, about that..... :scared:

:laughing:

Heh, I just think of it as a dish of ice cream with some sweetened fruit on top.

Interesting. But I like banana splits or strawberry sundaes so... you'd think I'd like it.

No.

That is the one body part that is doomed from the moment you are born, and when it goes, you can kiss all semblance of ever being pain free again good bye.

Well then they need to adjust the transporter to fix that!

Erk, um NO!!! No offense at all and was just teasing in like kind. REALLY it's all good! <saunters away unashamedly ;)

Okay! :)

<sashays away, head held high>

Well I'm glad there seems to be some progress. Hopefully what you have planned so far will help ease that pain.

Yes, at least someone's evaluating my case at this point. :)

I hear that. I keep working overtime to pay those pesky things.

I'm not sure if whether my company let us slide into overtime would be a good or bad thing for me. I'd be tempted to take it to pay bills and travel more, but I'd sure pay for it.

There were several. I think the textile mill was the worst one. But there were others. SO gross.

I'll bet the water was messed up there. No matter how much they SAY they are complying with regs... they ain't.

Not yet. But trying hard to find a bit here and there.

Shift work.

sucks

Interesting. But I like banana splits or strawberry sundaes so... you'd think I'd like it.

Then just re-name it and enjoy. ;)

Well then they need to adjust the transporter to fix that!

Make it so.

Okay! :)

<sashays away, head held high>

Saunters off to ride the Haunted Mansion again.

Last edited:
S is for: Second Sampling of Scavenger Scouring- DHS Pt. 2

Neatly picking up where I left off, which was at Letter 'N', but not for nose... (I try to keep that pastime discreet), let's start with some NEON Lights:

Chock full of neon (and probably argon and helium and some other noble gases just for kicks and giggles) DHS is striking at night. Too bad you only get a daytime photo, cuz I was somewhere else that night.

Okay, moving on...

Olaf makes an appearance for Letter 'O' and just as elusive as any semblance of lions in this park, OLAF was pretty tricky too. But, near the Hyperion there was a whole slew of them waiting to go home with some lucky little kid who has a millionaire parent. Plushes are almost as outrageously expensive as sweatshirts. :rolleyes2

Practically perfect in every way this PRETZEL made its debut into my hungry tummy to take care of Letter 'P':

... more on the Baseline Taphouse in a future update...

Quenched and quaffed, I moved on and found another letter although it probably wasn't Letter 'Q'. There is NO way this Scavenger Hunt could be done in alphabetical order. Nevertheless, I did find quite a few of these:

In case you're confused... that's a QUEUE.

Really, this Hunt was quite a ROLLER COASTER with some that were easy to find and others nearly impossible. This one was in the easy category and I even rode it too for putting 'R' in the bag:

Smiling as I entered the park that morning, mostly because I was still able to outrun the scooters and geriatrics with walkers (barely) and was at the front of the pack, I was able to get a few empty park photos. The SEMAPHORES have always intrigued me as a cool thing from a bygone era. Ding, ding!! Letter 'S' (also for saunter) snagged!

Taking pleasure in my progress already made within an hour of being in the park, Letter 'T' was an easy task. TINKER TOYS fit the bill terrifically!

Undaunted and still working hard,
unrelenting, I trudged on to finish my Hunt. Letter 'U' was one of the more FUN ones to get, although my item was a bit harder to find than I thought it'd be. While I hunted with frustration for Letter N, I grabbed an UMBRELLA and asked a nearby passerby to snap a photo.

VICTORY for Letter 'V' was mine. Very literally. Twofold, in fact. This was a major, and actually very unexpected, Scavenger Hunt score. Who knew I'd get this when I set out?!

Originally, "Villian" was on my list, but I abandoned that when I saw this infinitely better choice!

While in Toy Story Land, why not pick up Letter 'W' with a WOODY. Uh, er, umm, here's the picture:

EXactly where I had hoped to find Letter 'X', I sauntered into the Tune In Lounge after it opened and asked the bartender if he had anything X-rated. He may have blushed a little.

Alright, he didn't blush, but I DID ask for something X-RATED. He even put something on the counter for me. When I asked him to pose with it, he said no. I can't imagine why not. :confused3 Doesn't every guy secretly want to show off their x-rated stuff when a woman asks?

Get your minds out of the gutter!

I was asking for this and he DID show me his X-rated stuff:

Your humble authoress was beginning to grow weary after several hours of hunting for a little something that begins with each letter of the alphabet by late afternoon. But, Letter 'Y' was a fairly easy one as I yielded my way into the Backlot Express to find some YELLOW MUSTARD. Look! It even comes in Mickey-shaped designs as if they anticipated my arrival.
:rolleyes:

Zipping up this chapter with Letter 'Z', here's a ZIPPER.

And that's a wrap, or jacket, or sweater, or whatever on Steppe's DHS Scavenger Hunt. :)

Last edited:
Ewww girlie, I (literally) feel your (nerve) pain! Hope that the consult goes well, I'll be sending you good back thoughts full of lovely spaced vertebrae and happy supportive tissues!

It is NOT fun. I got a call from the surgeon's office on Friday but missed it, and it was too late to call them back. Hopefully Monday we can connect.

I really enjoyed my stay at CBR and did not find the walking or the busing to be an issue. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if my budget would cooperate!

That is actually GREAT to hear! I am a bit worried so it's good to hear that it was still enjoyable for you! I am very curious to hear how the Gondola impacts the vibe and flow.

Ouch! I'm so sorry about your pain! It sucks getting older…I find I am having aches and pains where I never used to. Hope you're feeling better ::yes::

It sure does! I just don't FEEL that old other than this stupid neck of mine. :(

Very clever trick of doing the alphabet in DHS. I would never have the patience for that! And I didn't realize the Jawa's weren't there anymore either, I thought I just kept missing them :rotfl:

Hope you enjoy Pt 2 (and EPCOT and MK as well) just as much. I am sad to see them go, but not nearly as sad as the GMR and the Animation Studio!

That elevator is the best!

YES!!!!

Love the photo of the green army men on the move!

Thanks!!

I love the Jawas.....like you, I think I may have ventured into Launch Bay once so I had no ideas the Jawas were gone either!

I think you were not the only one surprised by this on this TR. I thought I was the only one who missed the memo on it. LOL!

I would like that key too!

The place is such a great fixer-upper. ;) Except for that pesky Twilight-Zone-y vibe.

So sorry to hear you have been having a difficult time lately. I really hope you are feeling better soon. Nice to see you back on the boards!

Thank you! And it's good to be back. Although, 4 10-12 hour days coming up this week. The good news is I've got 5 days in a row off after that. YAY!!!! :dancer:

It's good the F&W has so many different things...something everyone will enjoy.

I was quite the opposite with the maple bourbon cheesecake. I love maple and pecans, but the cheesecake wasn't cheesecake to me...more like a pudding and I tossed it. I guess since I make a really good cheesecake, maybe I'm a cheesecake snob. :lmao:

Glad you liked it though.

It was very different from a classic cheesecake, but I knew that going in and just took it (and enjoyed it) for what it was. The texture was definitely softer for sure, but the flavor more than made up for it. Yum yum!

Well I will let you know in Feb how it is...and I will be extra annoyed by tons of walking since I'll be there for a 5K lol

Thanks! Take loads of photos for me, k?

I lurk on the CBR thread ( https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...-thread-with-refurb-updates-new-pics.3461094/ ) so keep up a bit. But it'll be good to hear honest thoughts from a friend. :)

Sending gentle hugs your way - hope you feel better soon...

Thanks, Irene. It is a bit better than the initial injury phase. We'll see what transpires in the next weeks.

T is for: The Edison

Surprise!!! Today was a good, laze around sort of day which afforded time for not one but two updates!!

A girl walks into a bar and is taken back in time.

No joke.

I mean really, there is no joke. I just couldn't come up with one. I'm just not that funny.

Anyway, The Edison’s the place; Steppe’s the face. And it’s precisely what happened to her one balmy Florida evening. The minutes seemed like seconds and the minutes soon became hours. The massive clock on the wall even said so. At least Steppe thought so, but couldn’t be sure; it was a sensual atmosphere full of heady ambiance as she sipped and dined among the other patrons.

Smoke encircled the feathers in her hair as she coyly played with the beads fashionably draped over her neck. “Hey, Al, you know they’ll throw you in the Big House if they find you in this joint.” “Don’t worry, Steppsie, I’m packing heat and know the back way out.” “Okay, Al, but you know I don’t wanna see you in bracelets again.” "Funny, you should say that Doll Face, because I'd sure like..." She tuned him out as her attention was drawn to the stage....

You, over there, stop throwing cold water on my Alter Ego reverie. One of these days, I’m going to make a special trip to Florida just to go to one of the Special Events at the Edison, which just so happens to be where this sultry scene COULD have played out a century ago.

After leaving DHS and claiming victory in that Scavenger Hunt, I headed to DTD for my ADR at the newly-opened Edison. More geared towards adults, especially after 10:00 PM, this is a place that does, in my humble opinion, a bang up job at taking its visitors to a completely different world- much more so than most other restaurants on Disney property. Perhaps close contenders might be San Angel Inn, Raglan, or Biergarten. Let me start by saying, during my visit this place would be fine for kids up until say 9:00, but from what I have been reading and from what I saw myself, after that all bets are off. While it doesn’t cross the line, so to speak, kids are not allowed in after 10:00 and the shows are meant for the over 21 crowd. Edgy is the word that comes to mind.

With its fairly regular special ticketed events such as The Nightmare Before Christmas Halloween Soiree and The Gatsby Night, I believe its goal is to become the new “Adventurer’s Club” to replace the once "hip" place to be on a weekend night in Orlando.

So, where to start…?

I arrived on time and as I approached the entrance this guy came out of the front entrance.

Entering, I was instantly transported to a Steampunk, Industrial, British Victorian time period and vibe. I swear Tim Burton and Johnny Depp should go to this place and channel some inspiration.

The main feature, or wienie as Walt would have called it, is this gigantic clock with exposed gearworks. It is fascinating to watch while you’re waiting to be called. Well, it would have been, except I was called to my table almost immediately since I had such and early reservation.

My table was on the entrance level, which is the only level kids are seated at past 9:00. It’s closed entirely to under 21, as I’ve said at 10:00. The lower level is where the bar, the stages, dance floor, and restrooms are. The entire restaurant is elaborately themed with industrial era décor using pipes, vents, gears, rivets and ironwork. Edison bulbs are all over the place, as would be expected, and there are cozy, intimate corners like this that would be perfect for small gatherings of friends who want to share a few cocktails. Dark leather, brick and antique fixtures abound.

IMG_8293-M.jpg

For solo diners or those with kiddos there are huge monitors on the walls that have a montage of old silent movie clips, including some OLD Disney animation playing... a lot of slapstick that might make the young ones giggle. Or the young at heart. I found myself enjoying them quite a bit too.

Once seated, I was given water and a menu, and made my cocktail choice. If memory serves, I had:

The Mistress: Vodka, Lemon, Pomegranate, Prosecco $14.00

because it’s the only thing that looks like something I’d order on the current menu. I guess the important thing to note is that the cocktails are spendy here.

Once I got my drink, I took a cruise around the place to take some photos. It was a fun little excursion. Enjoy your tour:

For my appetizer, I ordered the: Deviled Eggs, - crisp potatoes $12

This must have changed because mine didn’t come with any potatoes at all. They were very tasty, however, and went well with the drink I’d ordered.

For my entrée, I had read very good reviews of the:

Organic Tomato Soup & Gooey Grilled Cheese - fontina, muenster, gruyere, alpine swiss, on buttered sourdough $20

It was HUGE!! Twice as big as I EVER thought it’d be, and I now understood the price tag. I left most. Lesson learned. But it was delicious! The bread was buttery and crispy and there was loads of cheese on that sucker! I mean it. It was basically 2 whole sandwiches stacked on top of each other so 2, or even 3, people could easily share this. Especially with an appie to share.

The soup was fine, but not amazing. I guess I pictured it more creamlike and less thick. I’d order it again, but with adjusted expectations next time.

Completely full, it was time to go. Yes, I love this place, if for the theming alone. Yes, I’d love to hit it up after hours sometime, but even moreso, I’d love to period dress and go to a special event party. Yes, I’d recommend it even to anyone who like science or history, and the service is decent. I think they do a good job of separating the vibes of the venues upstairs and down while keeping a cohesive whole.

As always… cheers! May your week be short and your paycheck be worth it.

Last edited:
The Edison looks really cool! I should have brought my DH when we went in October, he likes that Steampunk vibe. Oh well, it'll definitely be on the list for next time :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts