The ABCs of An EPIC Girls' Trip! May, 2019-Q is for: Quietly Sending this Trip Report off Into an Internet Sunset (8/25)

Hey All!

Been a crazy workweek and I thought I’d have this morning to reply and catch up.

BUT! My best friends daughter had a stroke and heart attack while running and the cause was found to be a tumor in her heart. So I rushed up to visit this morning. I also have a long weekend (extremely rare for me!) so am taking off on a road trip to Eastern Oregon for some photography and R and R.

Back on Monday, Folks!!
:eek: Holy smokes! How old is she? Is she okay? (As okay as you can be with a heart tumour that is!)

Hope you can get some nice photos in Eastern Oregon. Glad to hear you’re taking some R & R.

So started my new job on June 10th. Loving it, but I am driving an hour to and from so my days are very long. Have not even had time to get on the boards. After not working for 2 1/2 years and jumping in to a full time job again, it is kicking my butt!

Hoping after another week or two, I might start actually feeling something like a normal human again instead of like I just want to face plant into my pillow.

Hope you are well and things are going positively for Anara!

Liesa, I hope your friend’s daughter will get well soon!

And I am excited that you had a good excursion for pictures! Looking forward to the results!

Later than normal...it's been a crazy couple weeks.

I instantly felt $1,000 richer and 50% more French than I am.
Hmmm...if I felt 50% more French than I am, I would be...

0% still. Dang, sometimes math sucks. At least I know my favorite flag color isn't white. :lmao: :duck:

In 2 minutes, my ADR was changed to 5:30 and I was a happy Touron once more.
Sweet! Happy tourons are good.

Unless you’re with a sassy 14-year old whose sole purpose in life is to test your patience.
Sounds as if maybe, perchance, you speak from experience?

did I mention we have free unlimited PB&Js?
Oh great, now you'll never get Mark to leave.

Oxtail Broth with Braised Beef, Vegetables, and Black Winter Truffles covered in Puff Pastry - $29.
Sounds great except the truffles. Don't like fungus.

But soaked up the broth which was flavorful and delicious!
Sounds good, but there's still fungus in there, right?

she explained that some dishes they serve there take quite a while to prepare and that “Chef” prefers customers order their entrees as early in the experience as possible so care can be taken.
Ummm...sounds like an excuse. The real reason...half of the kitchen staff didn't show up for work so it takes them a while.

Berkshire Kurobuta Pok Loin Mediallionin a Salt Crust, Raspberry Jam, Potato Confit, Sauce Charcutiere- $39
That sounds pretty dang good.

I have three stars. I have had three bypasses. And I still have three women.
So...
He got a star
which
attracted a woman
which
got him a bypass

THREE TIMES?
:duck:

Very nice!

On the way, near the bathroom (you didn’t think I’d make it through a meal without visiting that, did you?)
No.

After about 30 minutes, my main course arrived. It was then that I perfectly understood what Johanna was meaning when she told me that the chef takes great care to his dishes and "take some time".
I guess they had to go find the pig?

Then poured a rich gravy over each piece. Here is the final presentation of my meal.
I finally watched the video.
So the meat was cooked inside of the bread...interesting.
I noticed she carved way more than 4 pieces, so did you get the rest, just not on the plate initially or did she take that away? If the latter, it would see a huge waste.

Oh, he'd be all over that!!!! Not only is that the staple of his vacation dining, but it also falls under his criteria of "if it's free, it's for me!"

See?! And yes, I think "Free" in anyone's book is a good thing.

First of all, that looks really good and I normally don't go for the fancy schmancy type of food. And I'm curious about the bread now! I thought it would be offered to you. Seems wasteful if they don't do something with it... I guess since it technically wasn't ever on your table or wasn't served to you or touched, could they take it back and use it in a recipe in some way? Make croutons? Use it for dipping in soup? :rotfl:

So, according to @Flossbolna , it w wasn't technically bread. Although it sure did look and smell like it. ?? Apparently, it was the salt crust. The photos, I've seen of "salt crusts" didn't look like that, but now that I read the description more carefully and have read up on it, I'm certain she is right. So, NOT bread! Who knew!?!

I'm still alive! Promise.

I had an amazing trip to SE Oregon and got some pretty decent shots of the area, including a LONG standing personal photography dream- photographing, or even SEEING an owl in the wild. I did! I saw wild horses and antelope and some super cool hot springs as well. I'm posting on FB mostly and only in batches as I have time to edit. PM me if you want to see them. Meanwhile, I work. Shocking, I know. So, your regularly scheduled programming of all things Disney will return this weekend.

I had an amazing trip to SE Oregon and got some pretty decent shots of the area, including a LONG standing personal photography dream- photographing, or even SEEING an owl in the wild. I did!
Glad to hear it was such a good trip. I'm envious as heck! :laughing:
I saw wild horses
:eek: That is just... soooooo cool!
I'm posting on FB mostly and only in batches as I have time to edit.
Saw some. Will take a peek later.
Meanwhile, I work. Shocking, I know. So, your regularly scheduled programming of all things Disney will return this weekend.
Ah yes. Work. Time to win that lottery.

I don't own any fancy pants. Just cargo shorts.

Which are awesome for skipping bag check, by the way!

Nah, that never works! Who would want to do that?

Certainly not this generation. Talk to someone?! NO. WAY!

Or if you have family with you that refuses to take your advice and "just wings it".

Or that. Soooo frustrating!

So...yay? Congratulations, I guess? I only eat it because I have to.

Hey, it's good food. I ate one yesterday.

Whatever shirt is on top of the pile, and regular with sugar and cream. You're welcome.

Then you're a step ahead of me. The last few days, I just pick the clothes I dropped on the floor the night before because I was too tired to actually pick new ones. :rolleyes2

Let if never be said that this guy was boring.

With 3 women, how could it be anything but...?

Great to have a nice meal with a view. Very appealing.

And delicious to boot.

It's like a gift wrapped in bread!

That's actually an awesome idea!

Those pigeons hang around the parks for a reason.

They get free annual passes?

I miss when Le Cellier was just a regular, unpretentious steakhouse that nobody knew about. It was much better that way.

Sadly, I didn't make it there until after it turned into what it is now.

Hey, thanks! We're trying!

And now.... we're almost up to 4th of July!

Sounds like an amazing meal. I was shocked at the price for your soup, but then I realized there were truffles involved. The mushroom not the chocolate kind, so that’s the reason.

I was a bit too, but I had to try it. It's kinda like their signature, well HIS signature dish.

To me Bocuse is the name for French cuisine. My aunt gave my mother one of his cookbooks when I was a kid. It was quite ridiculous with things like cooking some liver and vegetables for 24 hours to then process it further and after three days you will have the sauce to serve with your meat. But it had amazing pictures! And I do remember one dish with something in a salt crust. I guess that’s what the „bread“ was and that’s why you didn’t get it. It’s main ingredient was salt...

Well THAT certainly explains that! Thank you!!! I did read salt crust on the menu, but thought that just meant a salty coating or so. Not an actual...shell. But.. . so weird, the texture and color all looked VERY much like bread. But what I've read now, does certainly explain it. Thanks!

Michael and I have often thought about eating there and your review definitely sounds like we should exactly do that!

I do think you'd enjoy it. :) I'd say sunset near a window is darn near perfect.

I love trivia especially Disney Trivia.

Me too! But I usually really suck at it.
I love this description. I'm looking forward to giggling and screaming too.

Very awesome ride for sure and great for the whole family!

:rotfl2:

Very original!

... if not very silly!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful meal @ Monsieur Paul. It sounds just perfect.
You're very welcome! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Oooo your dinner at Monsier Paul looks amazing! It's definitely on my list of places to try. The menu always scares me a bit but I'm sure I'd love just about anything!

The menu is certainly scary to a pocketbook at first glance, but compared to ALL other signature places, and even some regular TS places it's not really that bad. AND, while the menu does have some pretentious sounding selections, when it comes right down to it, it's not all that exotic at its core, but adds panache with presentation.

You get free PB&J at work? I'm rioting!

Better than free decks of cards! ;)

This sounds heavenly!

It was... mmmm!!

Wow, that's impressive for a restaurant inside a theme park! Making me want to visit it!

I know! Definitely a hidden treasure!

Wow, that video was just fascinating! Really can't believe a restaurant in Epcot takes this much care with presentation!

Next to V&A's it was right up there. WAY better than any other signature I've been to.

I'm so with you. The only parade I will make a point to stop and watch is Boo to you...other than that I see parades as a good time to go on rides or do something else.

Correct! I have (by accident) seen the Fantasy whatever it's called one with the fire dragon, and I will admit, it is colorful and upbeat, but it's not one I'd go out of my way to stake a spot for and see in lieu of rides.

Gawd those busses...I'm always so cold after it's insane. WHY!!!

Exactly! WHY?!!!!!

See I have to do it all at once, food, topiaries, gardens, rinse, repeat.
Oh there was plenty of variety for each dip into the park, but it's easier to report topically as I edit and sort my photos. :) Plus on some days into the park I was hungrier than others, so tended to eat more than photo, or vice versa.

Nice shot though! I never get tired of the floral display around the water there.

Me neither! So pretty!

You and my parents! :laughing:

LOL! I just spent 4 days in one of the nation's biggest and most diverse migratory bird national parks. I saw over 100 kinds of birds and spent oodles of time just watching and taking pix.

That's funny cause So Cal had the coldest May in 100 years. Nice picture of the three of you!

Wow!! And so glad the rain is back!

It's good that you have a sense of humor. I'm not sure that I would be able to own up to a name like ChunkyDump! I'd sooner sit on the ground or Fran's lap than assume that pose! :laughing:

LOL!! The first time was just a "Hey, I want the folks in the back to be seen." and it just took on a life of its own. So silly!

I've only been there for the French Family Lunches or the Grand Marnier tastings, but I've loved everything I've had there.

They take such great care; love it!

It is classy, but not over the top. I like it.

Good way of saying it.

Either that or a nice stiff cocktail.

Yes, or that.

Unfortunately they don't happen very much in my world anymore either. :sad2:

Such a shame.
OK, I do better than this at home, but I have a little more free time than you do. I've got a half ham in the oven right now that will be served with Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and Roasted Vegetables. Still pretty much under $10 for dinner and plenty of leftovers.

Oh wow, NICE!!! I eat very lightly when at home and mostly just nibble on this or that. Lots of leftovers or sandwiches or burritos.

Interesting. Then again I do the same thing with my Marie Calendar's Pot pies... :duck:

Hahahaha! YUM!

I love when I hear that.

Me too. I like it when care is taken with the meals I pay a lot to see, taste, smell, etc...

Chef Hunnel really likes that Pork Loin as well and almost always has some form of it on the menu at V&A's.

I believe I did have that as well in one of my courses. Followed by the amazing smoked duck. :cloud9:

We got cookbooks from him as gifts at the French Family lunches. I have one next to me right now that I haven't had the time to open up and read to see if I want to keep it.

Well, if you don't... ;) ;)

Same for me. I need to make this happen more.....

Yes!! You should!

That's a very interesting presentation. I wonder what the benefit of roasting inside a loaf of bread was. I was afraid that it looked overcooked, but I'm glad it wasn't.

Apparently, it was the salt crust, not bread. But I was still impressed and amazed all at the same time.

I've had meats carved tableside, but never that way!

Nor I!

I would have found room! French desserts are amazing!

I just couldn't justify the added $$. Splurge is one thing; gluttony is another. There was just no room.

Mine too! I need to go for dinner and try the regular menu someday!

And apparently it's changing next month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter