The 2011 Alaskan Thread--Cruise Tips and Planning

MJGirl

DIS Veteran
Hi all ...

Since the Baltic Cruise thread was such a success, I thought it would be nice to start one up for the Alaskan cruises. This is a place where we can post our findings on excursions, travel tips, weather tips, etc. This thread is not a get to know your cruise mates thread, but a place to help with all our planning. I know it's early, but some of us love to plan. It's hard to believe, but the first Alaskan is only 292 days away. Some on the inaugural have already booked flights!

I can start by posting a train trip I found for Skagway. It sounds great! Disney will probably offer it, but it might be cheaper to book on our own. Here is the link to the White Pass Summit Excursion.

By the way, if a thread has already started, can someone post the link. Thanks.

Helpful sites and information for the Alaskan Cruises

General Information

Alaska Discussion Board at Cruise Critic
Frommer's Alaska 2010
Frommer's Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call 2010
Alaska By Cruise Ship

Vancouver

Vancouver Port Information
Vancouver FAQ Thread
Vancouver Weather
Tuxedo rental information aboard the Wonder

The DIsney Wonder's agent at the Port of Vancouver is TMS Anchor, and there phone number is 604-630-5131. They would be able to answer your questions about shipping to port.

Juneau

Cruise Critic Information on Juneau
City of Juneau
Juneau Weather
Helicopter tours
Dog Sledding
Harv and Marv's Whale Watching tours
Zen Chinese Restaurant (worth the cab ride)
Tracy's King Crab Shack (Try the Crab Roll - It will change your life)
Mendenhall Glacier (worth seeing)
Alaska Zipline Adventures

Ketchikan

Cruise Critic Information on Ketchikan
City of Ketchikan
Ketchikan Weather
Sea Kayaking Trips
Handmade Candies (must try the chocolate covered oreos)
Totem Bight State Park (worth doing on your own)
Saxman Native Village (worth doing on your own)
Julies for Authentic Alaskan Totem Poles (tell them Aimee from DCL sent you)
Annabelle's Keg and Chowder House (Restaurant)
Ropes and Ziplining Park
Deadliest Catch Tour

Skagway

Cruise Critic Information on Skagway
City of Skagway
Skagway Weather
Helicopter tours
White Pass Summit Excursion.
White Pass Summit Train and Bus Excursions
Yukon Bus and Rail Excursion
Carcross Bus and Rail Excursion

Special Repositioning Ports

Victoria

City of Victoria
Afternoon Tea at the Empress Hotel

---------
Helpful Information about docking ...thanks Nick.Turpchinoff!!!!
I was wondering where the Wonder will be docked at each port. According to Cruise Line Agency of Alaska the Disney Wonder's Berth in Juneau, AK will be at the AJ Dock.

You can find a downloadable PDF files located here.

It is a 1.5 mile waking distance to "downtown" Juneau. Here is an arial view on Google and you can see where the dock is located at. The street view of the AJ Dock shows coach buses lined up ready to take cruise passengers into downtown Juneau.

Curious by this, I sent an email to dcl.shore.excursions@disney.com and asked what they will be doing about shuttling us into downtown for people who don't want to walk the 1.5 miles.

Here was my response:

"Yes we will be running a shuttle to the downtown area... There is a small charge, still not set in stone, but right now they are saying approximately $1.00 per person. Cruise Activities Team"

-----------------

Here is a summary of where Wonder will be docked:

Thursday Tracy Arm, AK
No Docking [Tracy Arm Schedule PDF]
Time: 12:00 - 18:00

Friday: Skagway, AK [Skagway Map]
RRA - Railroad Dock Aft [Port Schedule PDF]
Dock Time: 07:00 - 20:00

Saturday Juneau, AK [Juneau Map]
AJD - AJ Dock [Port Schedule PDF]
Dock Time: 07:30 17:00

Sunday Ketchikan, AK [Ketchikan Map]
Dock 4 [Port Schedule PDF]
Dock Time: 12:00 - 20:00

1) Bring your coat. Unlike a lot of other destinations Alaska is a cruise where you will be spending a lot of time outside on deck just starting at the scenery.

2) Try the local food. Salmon is huge. Geoduck (salt water clam) is worth trying. I had issues with eating Muktuk (whale), so I understand if you don't want to try all the local foods.
3) Do a wildlife excursion. Especially whale watching. The wildlife is amazing. You will never see soo many bald eagles in one place, they are like seagulls in most port cities.

Hi all ...

I can start by posting a train trip I found for Skagway. It sounds great! Disney will probably offer it, but it might be cheaper to book on our own. Here is the link to the White Pass Summit Excursion.

We took this tour and did the rail and bus tour into the Yukon and it was great!
Also, for a great whale watching experience look at Harv and Marv Whale watching. Only 6 people on a boat makes this a great experience.Here is the link.Harv and Marv.

Thanks for the updates everyone ... Looked into the Yukon train tour, but the northbound excursion is only on Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday, but we will be in Skagway on Friday :sad2:

The whale watching tour in Juneau sounds great ... Need to see if we can get a group of 6 or 12 together.

This is a great idea! The Baltic thread was hugely helpful, and now that my cruise to the Baltics is over, I've started thinking about next summer and spent a lot of time yesterday on the Vancouver thread, getting up to speed. This is the next logical step. Thanks!:thumbsup2

Hi all ...

Since the Baltic Cruise thread was such a success, I thought it would be nice to start one up for the Alaskan cruises. This is a place where we can post our findings on excursions, travel tips, weather tips, etc. This thread is not a get to know your cruise mates thread, but a place to help with all our planning. I know it's early, but some of us love to plan. It's hard to believe, but the first Alaskan is only 292 days away. Some on the inaugural have already booked flights!

Thanks MJ, we look forward to seeing you next year in Alaska! Sue:cheer2:

This is a great idea! The Baltic thread was hugely helpful, and now that my cruise to the Baltics is over, I've started thinking about next summer and spent a lot of time yesterday on the Vancouver thread, getting up to speed. This is the next logical step. Thanks!:thumbsup2

Exactly what I was thinking! Gee us DISers think alike

I don't know the details of the train/bus options for the White Pass and Yukon Railroad in Skagway, since I took the train both directions. But if they offer you the choice of taking the train up or taking the train down, definitely do the train up. The views are *SO* much better on the way up!

Sayhello

Alaskasmall086.jpg

I don't know the details of the train/bus options for the White Pass and Yukon Railroad in Skagway, since I took the train both directions. But if they offer you the choice of taking the train up or taking the train down, definitely do the train up. The views are *SO* much better on the way up!

Sayhello

Alaskasmall086.jpg

I suppose we could take the bus to the final stop and take the train back (I believe that is the southbound route). We can't go northbound on Fridays.

I suppose we could take the bus to the final stop and take the train back (I believe that is the southbound route). We can't go northbound on Fridays.
Well, given the choice of taking the train down, or not at all, I'd definitely vote for down! :thumbsup2 But it may be that you can't book going up on Fridays because the cruiseships have them all reserved for those days...

Sayhello

do you think we wil be able to ship to the port there? I can't recall if you could to california. We are flying from Florida and tend to pack heavy....wishful thinking I'm sure!

MJ - Thanks for starting this thread...the Baltic tread was a wealth of information. We will be on the June 21st sailing and all I have been since we have been back from the Baltic is researching this cruise. I think we are planning to fly into Seattle from Houston on SWA and take the ferry from Anacortes, WA to Sidney, BC and spend the night in Victoria. Then head over to Vancouver for a couple of days before the cruise. Should be a lot of fun.
Carol

For those wishing to fly into Seattle, you can take a shuttle bus from Seattle/Tacoma airport to the Vancouver port. Here is a link to one of, probably, many websites. Rates seem okay at $57 per adult. Looks like you can get a commuter fare (round trip) for $86.00 per adult. Last check, disney wasn't offering transfers to Seattle, but that may have just been the opinion of the person I spoke to on the phone. If a lot of us ask, they may change their policy.

Thanks for the updates everyone ... Looked into the Yukon train tour, but the northbound excursion is only on Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday, but we will be in Skagway on Friday :sad2:

On Friday in Skagway, you would take the bus to Carcross first - and then the train southbound. The current schedule is also for 2010. The excursions for 2011 probably won't be available until some time this fall.

For those wishing to fly into Seattle, you can take a shuttle bus from Seattle/Tacoma airport to the Vancouver port. Here is a link to one of, probably, many websites. Rates seem okay at $57 per adult. Looks like you can get a commuter fare (round trip) for $86.00 per adult. Last check, disney wasn't offering transfers to Seattle, but that may have just been the opinion of the person I spoke to on the phone. If a lot of us ask, they may change their policy.

There's also Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. However, it is a morning train, and you would need to fly to Seattle at least one day prior to the cruise - which you ought to do any way!

I'm excited to find this thread and I'm going to subscribe. We are hoping to hit up one of the last 2 cruises in August 2011 if R&R falls during that time. DH is actually excited about it almost as much as I am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!