Thanksgiving 2007!!!

Hi Wendy and everyone!

Where in WV are you? We used to live in Charleston. Hubby worked for Union Carbide fresh out of college.

We're driving in (yep, from St. Louis...it's quite a drive but we just won't fly over Thanksgiving :scared1:!). I think we're going to stay at the Radisson again (stayed there at spring break before a cruise and they were delightful).

Welcome to all the new comers! It sounds like there will be quite a few of us Disney newbies! Best advice I got when we took our 1st cruise with the over the door shoe thing and 2 highlighters (in different colors) to go through the daily schedules and highlight the not to be missed items! Worst advice I ever got was to carry travelers checks...what a pain!

We've been on 2 cruises (this is our 3rd) and all have been in an inside cabin. People suggested an inside to us since you're never in your room anyway...and I agree. We're only in there to sleep and change clothes. The best part about an inside is that no one knows what time it is the morning and I can usually convince DS that 7 a.m. is really 3 a.m. and he should go back to sleep for a while :rolleyes1 ...this means that I get to sleep in until 8:30 or 9 everyday and catch up on my sleep deficit!:thumbsup2

Can't wait!

Karen

Karen:

We are in the Charleston/Huntington AREA.... We were Carbiders at one time also... What a small world... It looks like we are going to have a great group with us this year.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

It is a small world. We lived for a while in South Charleston and then moved to the West Side (West End?) on the big winding road that led up to a country club...can't remember the name anymore. Steve worked for Carbide and I worked for Congressman Wise. We loved the area, but our entire family was here in St. Louis and we wanted to come home. I used to love driving the back roads to Lewisburg.

Can't wait to meet everyone! Sounds like we have a great group.

Wait...I remember it now, it was Edgewood Drive. We rented an older 2 story home and loved it.

Karen

Hi Karen, i was reading your post and i see your driving in to fl, my 20 year old son attends college in jacksonville so he will be meeting us at the hotel i was wondering where he was going to park his car for the time we are on the cruise i read that there is parking at the port is that were everyone parks?? are the cars safe there? what time is best to get there ??

Hi,everyone. We're staying at the Radisson and leaving our car there. They offer a shuttle service to the port and let you leave your car at the hotel. Has anyone done this before? But I need to check on returning to the hotel after the cruise.
Hope everyone has a great 3 day weekend :banana: !!!!!!! Melinda

Hi everyone!! Hope ya'all are enjoying your long weekend!! We are at WDW for the weekend. Last night we were at the pirate and princess party at MK. Mason loved it!! pirate: He wore the same costume that he wore on the Magic last year on pirate night.

The tips I can give are to definitely bring an over the door shoe holder, a collapsable laundry bag and pirate costumes for the children. pirate:

Lisa

Lisa:

Our daughter Lindsey a tomboy will be really glad to know Mason.. We are really looking forward to all the fun.

Thanks

Wendy

Wendy-

Sounds great!! Mason's "favorite" girl from last year at school to play w/ was named Lindsey!!:thumbsup2

Lisa

:cool1: Yay, I got to book my excursions,etc. I'm officially registered and ready to go. :yay: The only thing I wasn't able to get was brunch. But I'll just check back, dinner only at Palo will be enough. :) Melinda

Parking is not a problem - the lot right outside the terminal is quite safe and convenient. We have used it each year and will be doing do again this time. It is payable in advance, but takes plastic - $12 or $14 a day I think.

In answer to the other question, friends of Bill W meetings are posted in the Navigator.

Chuck:cool1:

Hi Pooh Mommy.

I went to cruisecritic.com and looked at the reviews and opinions of people there about where to park. It seems that many of the Port (Cape) Canaveral area hotels offer cruise parking and it is much cheaper than that offered at the Port. We booked at the Radisson for $149 (plus tax) for 1 night. This rate includes free parking for the cruise. The "regular" room only rate is $99 (plus tax per night) so we are effectively paying $50 to park which is substantially cheaper than the $112 (8 day parking for a 7 night cruise) that is charged at the Port. Other hotels also offer similar arrangements.

Last time when we cruised from Port Canaveral, we had a rental car so we ditched it at the car rental agency and then just picked it up again when we got off the boat.

In Miami we parked at the port (with another rental...long story but we barely made the boat and had no time to ditch the car) and found it was secure.

Hope this helps some.

We can't wait!

Karen

:cool1: The only thing I wasn't able to get was brunch. But I'll just check back, dinner only at Palo will be enough. :) Melinda

I suggest that you still try to book Palo brunch once you and your family arrive. (It will be sooooooo worth it.):banana: DCL supposedly retains 50% Palo brunch seating for anyone who wants to book once they're on-board. It's a 'do not miss.'

Priscilla

I agree! The Brunch is awesome. We did this last time we were on board and lets just say, we didn't eat again until dinner (in which we had late seating.)

It's that good, huh? :love: I know ya'll keep saying that! I will keep checking.
I'll admit I was slightly disappointed. But I didn't realize they only do brunch on days at sea. So that really limits choices.
Melinda

Can anyone tell me how to book Tea with Wendy? I've read about it in the books but I can't find it on the website for booking. Is it something that everyone can go to (without reservations)? Does anyone know which day it is held?

Thanks to all!

Karen

Once you board you can go to Guest Services and make the reservations there. We did this and it wasn't all that great, but that is just an opinion. We actually had Alice in Wonderland there instead of Wendy.

If you are at all interested there is the galley tour also. You can make reservations at GS for the tour. My DH and I really enjoyed seeing the kitchens and not to mention the fresh Chocolate Chip cookies they serve.

Hi all - just checking in as I haven't posted here in a looong time. I see the list is getting a bit bigger on who is going - and I was pretty excited to see the Lampy lobster and prime rib picture (mmm). I did book my excursions, but screwed up on the Palo dinner ressie. I was using the last posted navigator here on the Dis that showed Pirate night as Tuesday, so I booked Palo Wednesday at 8:30 (one of the only times I could get). Come to find out that the navigator was not normal and pirate night is normally Wednesday when I have now booked my 8:30 Palo. Oh well, I will try and change it on board. I really wanted a brunch instead of dinner, so I will go for that as well.

Any updates on the T-Shirts???

Frank

I read where the kids can participate in a show and receive a t shirt at the end of the cruise. What is this & when do they this? Thanks, Melinda :wave2:

A few comments/answers:

Parking - the hotels may be less expensive, but you are at their mercy for shuttle times. My wife prefers to be first in line to check-in, or close to first, and thus the parking lot at the terminal is it for us. There is also the convenience of walking out of customs to your nearby car to be considered at the end of the cruise....just a matter of one's personal preference here.

Palo - easily the best meals on the boat - both dinner and brunch. Lisa, had ours booked by 12:10 a.m. the first day they were available. We took Tuesday for dinner b/c it is our second night in the restaurant we eat at 3 times - we have APL again this year for the rotation - and b/c it is the menu we least like. Also, Grand Cayman is an early port, ie back on boat by 430 or so giving plenty of time to relax and change for dinner. The brunch is not to be missed if you can get in there.

T-shirts - since this is our 4th straight Turkey Day cruise, we have some shirts from years past. My only comment is to remember that the Disboards color is a flourescent shade of green - not always the most popular, but very easy to spot, which can be an issue when planning a Meet at or before the sailaway party.

One more.

The "show" for kids is the "graduation" from the Disney kids camp program. Those who have participated in the kids program are invited to attend on stage. My rough estimate is that there were probably close to 500 kids on stage the last couple of years.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter