Terri Schultz replied to me

I am glad she or her assistant, replied to you. Please do not post her email here though, as that is what causes them to have to change them due to getting spammed. If you are going to share at least use direct message.

I have Aulani points expiring in May. I assume there are no plans for extension?

At this time no because per contract they can simply allow you to use them at open resorts when your home resort is not open.

It appears that is the solution for now. Things could change but I’d be surprised if they did for points with that long of use.

Well timeshares here on Oahu have been open since March. The Marriott Koolina Beach Club did not shut down one day.

IMHO it is a cop out to blame the government when it is a decision by DVC to not open. I do own Aulani points and it is a slap to my face to tell me to travel 5000 plus miles to use my points or let the points expire. I live here and bought points to use at Aulani. Now my only recourse is to use points on the East coast. If DVC is willing to pay for my airfare and rental car that would work.

Well timeshares here on Oahu have been open since March. The Marriott Koolina Beach Club did not shut down one day.

IMHO it is a cop out to blame the government when it is a decision by DVC to not open. I do own Aulani points and it is a slap to my face to tell me to travel 5000 plus miles to use my points or let the points expire. I live here and bought points to use at Aulani. Now my only recourse is to use points on the East coast. If DVC is willing to pay for my airfare and rental car that would work.

Here is what I learned in my research. DVCM has broad range of reasons to close the resorts, especially when something of this nature or emergency is happening.

Government orders or policies can be used as part of the decision. There is no requirement that they have to remain open unless ordered to shut down.

So, from my understanding from conversations with DVC, those orders allow for them to close And play a role in opening back up.

While other timeshares made different decisions, I could find nothing that forces DVCM to do the same

Now my only recourse is to use points on the East coast. If DVC is willing to pay for my airfare and rental car that would work.
Granted, using the points for HI resorts via RCI might not be a first-choice in normal times ... perhaps there is time, now, to give it a try?

I genuinely wish you the best.

EDITED on Monday morning to add:
Below is a quick copy/paste from our DVC<>RCI interface of the numbers of different HI resorts currently showing availability per island:
  • Big Island, Hawaii [15]
  • Kauai [19]
  • Maui [13]
  • Molokai [1]
  • Oahu [6]
Here is the same data sliced by check-in month:
  • September 2020 [10]
  • October 2020 [46]
  • November 2020 [40]
  • December 2020 [33]
  • January 2021 [11]
  • February 2021 [11]
  • March 2021 [14]
  • April 2021 [17]
  • May 2021 [12]
  • June 2021 [10]
  • July 2021 [9]
  • August 2021 [1]
  • September 2021 [4]
  • October 2021 [5]
  • November 2021 [5]
  • December 2021 [8]
  • April 2022 [1]
  • May 2022 [1]
And by Member Reviews:
  • 3 stars or higher [51]
  • 4 stars or higher [44]
  • Any number of stars [51]
And by Unit Size:
  • 1 Bedroom or larger [50]
  • 2 Bedrooms or larger [39]
  • 3 Bedrooms or larger [3]
  • Hotel or larger [54]
  • Studio or larger [54]
And by Resort Amenities:
  • Health Club [39]
  • Laundry [30]
  • Medical Facility [52]
  • Pets Allowed [1]
  • Pool [53]
  • Spa [21]
  • Whirlpool/Hot Tub [43]
  • WiFi Available [1]
Have fun searching! :)

Last edited:

Looks like a lot of owners is going to be losing points or I’m I missing something. Most dvc resorts was closed for like what 4 months. Than 2 we have no idea when they are going to open. People can’t use the points on dcl or adventures by Disney.seems like a no win for a lot of owners.

Here is what I learned in my research. DVCM has broad range of reasons to close the resorts, especially when something of this nature or emergency is happening.

Government orders or policies can be used as part of the decision. There is no requirement that they have to remain open unless ordered to shut down.

So, from my understanding from conversations with DVC, those orders allow for them to close And play a role in opening back up.

While other timeshares made different decisions, I could find nothing that forces DVCM to do the same

While generally you are correct, I do not believe closing due to loss of profitability to the parent company is a covered reason.

While generally you are correct, I do not believe closing due to loss of profitability to the parent company is a covered reason.

We can agree to disagree this is why it is being done and without anything to support that, I am sorry you are frustrated

Looks like a lot of owners is going to be losing points or I’m I missing something. Most dvc resorts was closed for like what 4 months. Than 2 we have no idea when they are going to open. People can’t use the points on dcl or adventures by Disney.seems like a no win for a lot of owners.

It really all depends. Right now, those loosing points immediately are from not wanting to travel vs. finding something within the system that is available,

DVCM did make exceptions to extend points that had very little time to use, but there are places to use points. Not saying it’s ideal for owners or they should travel if not comfortable, but at this point, they have decided the policy changes are enough.

Having said that, we could see some updates for those that own at VGC or AUL in the near future if closures continue.

My home resort is Aulani. I’m a Southern California local and I had some questions regarding Aulani and Grand Cal, so I emailed Terri Schultz, the Senior VP for DVC. I suggest anyone with a question email her. I got a reply in less than 24 hours.

Sent you a message to see if you would mind us using this email as part of an Aulani / Grand Californian update on Www.DVCFan.com

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. It is completely ridiculous. And everything at the other dvc resorts should be completely open as well as allowed by law. Hotels are open in California and have been so for months, so DVC in California should be open too. Why is GC closed? TV areas in lobbies should be opened. All restaurants in dvc hotels should be opened unless under renovation. The curve has been flattened and at this point things should be opened. Anything legally allowed to be opened should be opened. I have no say in Disney’s hotel properties. Keep them closed indefinitely if they want, but dvc, and amenities within dvc hotels should be opened. They chose to combine dvc with their regular hotels in many instances, in order to take advantage of dvc member fees subsidizing the hotel side. Not my problem.

I agree. It is completely ridiculous. And everything at the other dvc resorts should be completely open as well as allowed by law. Hotels are open in California and have been so for months, so DVC in California should be open too. Why is GC closed? TV areas in lobbies should be opened. All restaurants in dvc hotels should be opened unless under renovation. The curve has been flattened and at this point things should be opened. Anything legally allowed to be opened should be opened. I have no say in Disney’s hotel properties. Keep them closed indefinitely if they want, but dvc, and amenities within dvc hotels should be opened. They chose to combine dvc with their regular hotels in many instances, in order to take advantage of dvc member fees subsidizing the hotel side. Not my problem.

None of the restaurants are owned or operated by DVC. At this point, other than the closed resorts, they have opened all that is required.

TOTWL is the only thing I can think of that is closed because of the executive order shutting down bars back in July. Since this is soon to be changing, maybe they will open that up soon.

I too think that they should be open and think DVC is probably violating the POS in keeping VGC and Aulani closed at this point. And agree that the extra cost that might come with it is a part of the risk they take with the agreements they have and the inclusion of DVC resorts with DVC hotels which otherwise almost certainly benefited Disney and Disney resorts for many years. They are used to having their cake and eating it too.

I too think that they should be open and think DVC is probably violating the POS in keeping VGC and Aulani closed at this point. And agree that the extra cost that might come with it is a part of the risk they take with the agreements they have and the inclusion of DVC resorts with DVC hotels which otherwise almost certainly benefited Disney and Disney resorts for many years. They are used to having their cake and eating it too.

Actually, I posted in another thread but extra costs associated with an emergency or act of god, are not subject to that guarantee. It’s in the annual budget statement,

So, one could say that if those expenses required to open, without the Disney hotel being opened are a direct result of this pandemic, those may fall on the owners.

Same with Aulani, You open but people can’t stay and must Quarantine, you will get complaints anyway.

Since I dont own at either, I have no interest in digging deeper, but owners at those resorts who believe they are in violation of the POS should be contacting them and asking for specifics in to how they are not.

And so are Members. Just as it was for WDW, there will be lots of upset Members if the resort is open but not the parks. They can't win no matter what they do.

lol - some perhaps but DVC really is as it's their sandbox and they change the rules when they no longer care for them.

Actually, I posted in another thread but extra costs associated with an emergency or act of god, are not subject to that guarantee. It’s in the annual budget statement,

So, one could say that if those expenses required to open, without the Disney hotel being opened are a direct result of this pandemic, those may fall on the owners.

Same with Aulani, You open but people can’t stay and must Quarantine, you will get complaints anyway.

Since I dont own at either, I have no interest in digging deeper, but owners at those resorts who believe they are in violation of the POS should be contacting them and asking for specifics in to how they are not.

Well, that's interesting. Is the budget a governing document between owners and DVC though?

I do not recall that statement existing in the POS. The only thing really covered there is destruction of the buildings where they are uninhabitable. The other Act of God closure was a throw away sentence at the end of a paragraph.

Well, that's interesting. Is the budget a governing document between owners and DVC though?

I do not recall that statement existing in the POS. The only thing really covered there is destruction of the buildings where they are uninhabitable. The other Act of God closure was a throw away sentence at the end of a paragraph.

It is the annual budget submitted to owners and approved yearly. It is also where it states that DVD guarantees that overages will be covered, unless it is an emergency or act of God,

So, I would say that the approval of these every year by the board, makes it a legal document.

Here is the wording from RIV budget document.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter