• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me honestly...likelihood of walking up to TS with no ADR?

Sunday

Mouseketeer
Is there any point of trying to do a walk-up / standby for a table service restaurant? Be honest, I can take it! We are going during free dining, but, like a lot of other people, have been having a hard time actually getting ADR's for any TS places. I will keep trying back online until we leave, but I need a backup plan!

Is there any point of trying to do a walk-up / standby for a table service restaurant? Be honest, I can take it! We are going during free dining, but, like a lot of other people, have been having a hard time actually getting ADR's for any TS places. I will keep trying back online until we leave, but I need a backup plan!

I would keep trying but it can't hurt when you check in to talk to guest services because things open up at the last minute. If you don't get anything there try Guest Services when you get to the park and as a last resort try a walk up. You should be able to find something. It may not be your first or second choice but something. I have heard people doing walk up having good luck, it all depends on the crowds.

Good luck!!!! :)

Definitely not at the popular places, but if you go when the location opens for dinner sometimes they can seat you, sometimes not. Look for "off the radar" places, like the Wave at Contemporary Resort, for a last minute ADR. The resorts have great restaurants, but most people don't want to leave the parks.

Best bet is to call the dining res line or go to the guest services desk in your resort or at the park the day before or the day of in the morning and see what's available. That way you don't have to trek outside the park without having a definite ADR. Lots of ADR's get cancelled when people A. change park plans, B. the dining they really want opens up so they cancel their alternate, C. they get tired, a child is sick, etc. The res center or guest services cannot make dining ressies within two hours of your seating time though.

You can try.But a lot of the popular places will probably be a "no". I also would not go out of my way to try a walk up.If I am already near the location, I would go ahead and try.But I would definitely not go outta my way.Alot is going to depend on the restaurant, the time of day, and your party size.

I'm not quite as pessimistic about this as others. I've only rarely been turned away from TS dining without an ADR. I say that while avoiding popular places at prime hours, though. Most of the places you'll have trouble with are in the parks and the few most popular places in the resorts (i.e. 1900 Park Fare, Ohana, etc.) Most other places will take anyone any day in my experience.

The first year we went, I didn't know anything about ADR's. The only place we could not get into was Le Cellier. We had about a 20 minute wait at Coral Reef, but everywhere else took us right in. Could've been a fluke.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot it was free dining. It wasn't when we went, so I'm sure it will be a totally different situation.

You won't get into any of those popular spots...LeCellier, Coral Reef, Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's, etc.
But there may be other options for you. I really would sit down, and check out the online ADR booking site....there may be some spots that are available that you haven't thought of yet. There are some spots in World Showcase that you should be able to get into...Morocco, Mexico, China. In MK, it may be a bit tougher. Try for the Plaza and Tony's, maybe Liberty Tree Tavern.
You may be able to get some ADRs within the resorts rather than in the parks. Check out the online ADR site...try to get a few ADRs before you get there. Better to have something in hand vs hoping for availability somewhere, anywhere.
Good luck....I'll be down there at that time as well.

Each park has a sign at guest relations announcing which, if any, TS restaurants still have openings that day.

We were there the 2nd and 3rd weeks of free dining and I really only looked at the signs for MK (all full) and Epcot (nearly all available for lunch except Akershus and Le Cellier; a few available for dinner). We also saw walk-ups being seated at Sci-Fi, Boma, Jiko, and Cape May (breakfast) and turned away at Mama Melrose and Akershus.

So I'd say if you're willing to be flexible, you'll be able to get in *somewhere*.

BTW if you want a reservation, you have to call the dining line at least 2 hours before you want to eat.

I called Disney Dining from my resort yesterday to see if I could get into Tony's for lunch. The computer showed no availability but the CM told me to try doing a walk - up. I was seated immediately!!! Good luck!:goodvibes

Let me just say, we got back a few weeks ago, and several of our reservations we tried to change around but were unable to due to everything being BOOKED. Even trying the day of, we were not given any hope. Low and behold when it came time to our reservation time, most of the restaurants were not full. LeCellier at our dinner had 7 tables empty. There were empty tables everywhere. Due to the online booking system, and other issues, there are a lot of reservations not being used. So give it a try. Anything is possible.
We added 5 extra people onto our ADR every time. We added these people to 7 of our 10 dinners without a problem, while there were still tables empty.

We may have to try that in December for that last ADR we just can't seem to get. I thought about going when they opened and asking about a walk up (Garden Grill) and/or leaving my cell number or something....if they have any no shows we could jet back and eat LOL

I hope we can still manage to snag an ADR before then...but if not we'll be desperate LOL

My DH is the KING when it comes to doing that...he was successful with this method on our June, Aug and Oct trip!

It helps that it is just the 2 of us and we try to get in right when they open....

We were there 3 weeks ago and saw many people walking up to restaurants and some were turned away but most were seated

The kicker is the website and WDW dining line said the places were booked solid...yet DH got us in!

Depends on which restaurant. If it's Le Cellier for dinner, just this side of none. If it's Ohana for dinner, almost none. If it's a character meal, don't count on it. If it's Nine Dragons or Marrakesh, pretty good. If the restaurant doesn't accept the dining plan, the odds increase drastically.

I've had walk ups - but I have never gone during free dining, so can't comment on that. Also, had HUGE success with going to Guest Services and just asking what was available for the stretch of our stay and then picking from there. If you don't mind eating off peak (and you may not even need to do so) then I there is no reason why you shouldn't give it a try. People do cancel and they also don't show sometimes because something came up (or they were too full from the previous TS which they left 2 hours before!!!).

Persistence usually produces a good success rate - in most anything! All the best.

BTW, it is great that you are not letting yourself get into a panic about the trouble finding ADR's. I think that is quite rare - WELL DONE!!!

I agree the chances are 50/50.

You will have much more success at lunch rather than dinner.

During free dining, you will have greater success with walk ups rather than getting last minute reservations. The truth is some folks just skip reservations, something comes up, it happens. So I would def. give walking up a try. You win some you lose some!

We were able to secure an 8pm dinner for 9 at Tutto Italia on Monday, 10/19. We walked up at 4pm to see what they had available, then decided to cancel it because there was no way the kids were going to make it through a sit-down dinner that late in the evening. It's always worth a try, I'd say! My friend went a week before me, and they got walk-ins at Chef Mickey's!

I think it just depends on the restaurant and luck. We walked up a the Royal Table in the castle and got right in. So you just have to try and be willing to move to another place.

As PPs have said, it may not be the greatest odds...but that doesn't mean it's impossible. :cheer2: My parents were there (without the rest of the family :rolleyes1 ) during free dining this year. My mom, who never sees the importance of ADRs decided that they would try to walk up to Ohana. They were a party of 4, they arrived before 5 pm when they open, and were told that it might be a 30 minute wait. They waited about 10 minutes, and were seated. :confused3 So, nothing's impossible. Just keep trying. Good luck to you. :wizard:

It would depend on the place and the time. You can usually always get a table at the Captain's Grille in the YC but LeCellier does not take walk ups, or at least not since the DDP started a few years back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter