Tell me about Golden Corral

I've been to Golden Corral 2 times in my life, both in my early 20's. Now that I'm older and wiser I don't go to any kind of buffet restaurants, on top of poor quality food I just think it's gross to "share" food and serving duties with the general public.
It's funny last night we drove past the one here and I said to dh- putting "corral" in your restaurant name is not a great idea. It makes it sound like it's feeding time at the trough for the animals.

I've been to Golden Corral 2 times in my life, both in my early 20's. Now that I'm older and wiser I don't go to any kind of buffet restaurants, on top of poor quality food I just think it's gross to "share" food and serving duties with the general public.
It's funny last night we drove past the one here and I said to dh- putting "corral" in your restaurant name is not a great idea. It makes it sound like it's feeding time at the trough for the animals.
Sums it up perfectly.

I know what it is, but I've never actually been to one.
Consider yourself lucky and blessed. Back in 1995 I moved our family, on our drive to the Midwest from the West Coast we stopped off in Rock Springs Wyoming. After a very long day of an unhappy infant and driving a U-Hell, we asked at our hotel where we could find a nice steak, this was before things like Yelp, so off we went. I'd never heard of Golden Corral, but we gave it a try. I make it a rule that I never review any place I visit based on just one visit, if I had it would have received a 1 Star.

A few days later we arrive in our new community, after turning off the highway looking for our new home for the next year right across from Wal-Mart and McDonald's there it is, Golden Corral. My wife and I laughed pretty hard, thankfully the people we hung out with there all felt about the same.

I am sure some people love it, I will never set food in another Golden Corral. But in all fairness I've never been to a Hometown Buffet or a Old Country Buffet, even though we had both in my current community, buffets are just not my type of food.

I'm a big fan of the one Golden Corral that I've dined at several times. The restaurant is always bright and clean. The servers come around quickly to remove finished plates. The food (I am a very simple eater but there is something for everyone) is fresh and warm. I was never a pie person until tying their chocolate chess pie--amazing! For me and my family their prices are a bit high but every so often it is a treat to go there.

For years I had gone to Hometown Buffet and during that time did have many positive experiences. I no longer dine there because as someone else said their locations are diminishing but food quality has gone way down. There have also been instances were buffet areas were not clean. The service was most always friendly and good but the food, cleanliness in general were not up to par. I also like at Golden Corral the food areas seem to be covered a bit more than at Hometown. I have only been to one Golden Corral but with other chain restaurants, sometimes it truly can vary by location. I hope you and your family enjoy if you try it out :)

It’s the kind of place we stop at on a road trip—plenty of choices. My oldest DD is vegetarian, DH is a meat and potatoes guy, middle and younger DD’s are a bit picky and I will eat most things but like to have healthier options. Some GCs have been clean with great food; others I wish we hadn’t stepped foot in the place—dirty, not replenished, overcooked etc.

I consider myself a foodie, but there are days I just want a sloppy plate of meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy. Golden Corral is great for those times.

Make sure it is close to home. Our Golden Corral is 45 minutes away. 45 minutes is too long to reach the bathroom at home after you've eaten.

They suck. I am not a "buffets are evil" and I used to adore OCB's salad bar, but Golden Corral is (in my area) disgusting and even more disgusting.

My parents are the type that enjoy Old Country/Hometown Buffet, and were sad when the one near us closed. Growing up our Sunday morning ritual was eating at Kings Table buffet in San Jose or Capitola. I personally don;t care for them. We have eaten at a few Golden Corrals in recent years. When we do I set my expectations for food quality and cleanliness low. Only a few times have I been pleasantly surprised.

It's fine. We went to one in Virginia Beach after DFIL's funeral. We had a large group with kids, one aunt who is vegan, so the variety was a really good compromise. And some of us didn't have much appetite, so we weren't out a lot of money. DH's aunt suggested it. In hindsight, it was a smart choice. And this one was clean and well stocked, so would recommend.

Dislike intensely. Feeding trough of dirty people who take dirty plates (reuse) plates. Sharing serving utensils with people who probably don’t wash hands. People not using utensils (think hands). Saw a child drop a serving spoon on the floor, pick up and put back thinking nobody saw—about 13 or so (more than old enough to know better). As soon as she left I got up and took spoon to server explaining what happened and they cared less ( no not my kid I have boys and they know better). My in-laws always wanted to go there but finally decided they don’t want to- thankfully we have not been in 15 years at least but never ever again!

Been to 3 locations in my state and similar clientele at all - I just think dirty for buffets. I know not all are but not a favorite.

My experience but you might have a good one!

I'm in total agreement-

OP you post a lot about "junk food". And fast food.

Get a good cookbook. Look for healthy recipes on line. Find some recipes using real food and fruit and vegetables. Learn to cook. Take a trip to a good grocery store or farmer's market. All these would be great activities for you and your kid.

Love Golden Corral! I agree with an earlier poster that their fried chicken is some of the best I've ever had. Pulled pork there is good also. I don't care for their steaks either tho. Lots of variety for breakfast or dinner. I've been to a lot of different ones & find that in the past few years, GC has stepped up their game. The newer, remodeled ones are really pretty good.

I have GOT to stop reading this thread. Tonight is my cheat meal and I absolutely love buffets. Golden Corral, Chinese, you name it. Drool......

Last Saturday I actually had dinner with DD12 at Ichiban, just outside of Disney World.

I've been to 5 of them across 4 different states. It definitely seems to be hit or miss. One was just plain dirty and closed down not long after our visit. 2 had good food but we noticed appalling behavior by other customers both times we went to each (grabbing food barehanded, constant vulgar language, and once, a flat out brawl with the cops called), so we ultimately stopped going to those.

The other two have been absolutely fantastic. One I only went to once, right after getting out of Boot Camp. They offered a free meal to all graduates and it was one of the closer restaurants to base so it was packed, but they kept up with the buffet wonderfully and everything was fresh and delicious. The other one is near where I live now and is great. We've only lived here for a few months, but I think we've gone there around a half dozen times, most recently a few days ago. Staff are constantly cleaning and replenishing the buffet, the servers are fast and friendly, and the options are plentiful. They seem to have more options than I recall any Ryan's, Old Country or Hometown Buffet having.

OP you post a lot about "junk food". And fast food.

Get a good cookbook. Look for healthy recipes on line. Find some recipes using real food and fruit and vegetables. Learn to cook. Take a trip to a good grocery store or farmer's market. All these would be great activities for you and your kid.
I could use some of that. Could you send me some time during the week? I'd love to cook every night.

I feel like this thread should be mandatory reading if someone is getting restaurant suggestions from disboards. :oops:

I got dragged to one 10 years ago (then gf now wife's grandmother was in town and requested it). It was the blandest, most tasteless food and still managed to make me feel like crap after eating it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter