Teachers & Guns

Being a teacher, the problem with this is when the gun does not stay on the person of the permit. Meaning, if the gun is put in a drawer and the owner is lax with it, which is what I see with every other privilege given to the general public. Teachers are no exception to this rule. I could tell you horror stories that would make your ears bleed. I am perfectly happy at this point in my life knowing that there are at least two uniformed officers at all times on our campus with fully loaded guns that will work if needed. I also know that I have a radio that a student cannot outrun. I am willing to assume all the other risks as part of my job.

You need to research the requirement of " concealed to carry " laws.......

Putting a firearm any where other than on the person holding the permit is a violation..........note the word concealed...

In my opinion i do not feel safer with a minimum wage rent-a cop:confused3 ....I would much rather have a highly educated, law abiding teacher that has taken and passed the crisis training and gone through the permit process .......

Again if we look at this OP article with an open mind and check our emotions at the door .....we'll find this to be a solution not the problem :teacher:

I homeschool so no problems here!:thumbsup2

Government schools are a JOKE!:scared1:...no offense to anyone here of course, just my humble opinion!;)

Thats a pretty strong one!!! But I wouldnt expect anything less from you!!! Whats that....a bottle of gasoline?...Is that a match in your pocket???;)

Putting a firearm any where other than on the person holding the permit is a violation..........note the word concealed...

In my opinion i do not feel safer with a minimum wage rent-a cop:confused3 ....I would much rather have a highly educated, law abiding teacher that has taken and passed the crisis training and gone through the permit process .......

Again if we look at this OP article with an open mind and check our emotions at the door .....we'll find this to be a solution not the problem :teacher:

The SRO's (school resourse officer) here are REAL police officers.

I have mixed thoughts on that. It's a good idea but could get out of hand if not kept in check!

it would be a good idea for a school to have a few (2-3) teachers specially trained, who had to go though an extensive firearms training course put on by the local PD's or state. To have all the teachers or even a large amount armed could end in more of a mess (crossfire and such!!). When a person is involved in a shooting they get tunnel vision and loose touch with the world outside of where the threat is. It could be a dangerous situation, stress is very high! Too many stressed people taking shots...hmmm Even with fellow employees I will not go in in front of them and they are trained!! Keep them where I can see'em :goodvibes
I also think that if a school has a designated SRO they should not have this as the officer is specially trained in firearms (or should be!!) and to the response to active shooter situations! "Rent a cops" should also never be used to replace the real thing...they should stay with controlling the parking lot and walking the halls to identify situations and report it to the SRO!

I homeschool so no problems here!:thumbsup2

Government schools are a JOKE!:scared1:...no offense to anyone here of course, just my humble opinion!;)

Do you plan on sending your kids to college? Or are they going to do that from home as well?

I teach highschool in Mississippi. One of the first big school shootings to make headlines in this country took place 40 miles away at Pearl High School. Through college classes and coaching I have actually been able to talk to a few people who were actually there when it happened. Most people don't realize that that incident was not brought to an end by the cops, but by a principal and a guidance counselor who both happened to have handguns in their vehicles. I teach at a very rural school. There are many students at my school that go straight to the woods from school during hunting season. I have even caught some of my baseball players shooting crows on the football field on a Saturday. To think that there are never guns on our campus is a joke. I would gladly carry in the classroom if I was allowed and properly trained. More than a firearm, though, I would rather have access to a taser. There are some big students at our school. Two years ago my wife, who was pregnant and didn't know it yet, was pucnhed trying to stop a fight. Yesterday, I was punched 5 times breaking up a fight between two girls. In both instances, all parties invovled were taken to jail. Last year we had a fight between to football players that took 8 men to break up. During this particular fight, the mob mentality took over and there were students trying to stop the staff from stopping the fight. Three teachers were shut into their own classrooms. There are difinately times when I fear for the safety of other teachers at school. I'm 26 years old, 6' tall and weigh 230lbs. I usually don't fear for my own safety, but I do fear for the safety of several of my coworkers, including my 120 lb wife.

I think it's ridiculous. I also don't think anyone needs to own a handgun in the first place. And that's all I have to say about that :rolleyes1

The last place I want to live is in a country where only the government is allowed to have guns.

I have spent a significant part of my career using weapons and carrying them for my own protection while in some unsavory areas of the world. That being said, I don't own one, yet I have considered it several times due to certain circumstances. I firmly believe that if you are going to have one, you must be willing to 1)shoot without hesitation and 2)shoot to kill. There is no room for hesitation (I wonder if that noise is the dog or one of my kids coming home late). If you hesitate, or firing a warning shot, you will be dead. I have no issues whatsoever with properly trainied individuals carrying weapons in the schools. In light of recent events which have resulted in many innocent people dying, I feel the more trained, armed individuals we have the safer we all will be.

I always wonder if we issue a gun to each airline passenger. do you think we would have hijackings anymore.

No, but the way the airlines are treating people these days, there might be alot of holes in the planes. :rotfl2:

No one messes with Nicole! ;)
:lmao:
I didn't mean to sound like a gun crazed loony, cause I certainly am not, but I do feel better knowing that I can protect my family if need be.

I didn't mean to sound like a gun crazed loony, cause I certainly am not, but I do feel better knowing that I can protect my family if need be.

hehe...I was totally just teasing you! I actually very much admire your position on the matter! :thumbsup2

Hey...Ive seen your photobucket albums!!!!;)

I have researched the requirements of concealed weapons permits, as I have one personally. Just because you have one, doesn't mean you obey the rules. (I watch what goes on in schools every day man) It is just like having a drivers' license. Just because you have one, doesn't mean you obey the law. We are trained in crisis prevention, and I am personally trained to take a person down in a crisis situation, gun or no gun, as that is part of my job. You constantly assume that I don't know what I am talking about, when you are in no position to do so. I am politely asking you to not assume any longer. We have two fully trained, not rented, cops, that are former army MIP's, and also belong to their departments respective gang and honor squads. My emotions are always checked at the door with this issue. Are yours?

I am fully confident in our response plans. I own a gun proudly. However, I realize the dangers of that gun falling into hands that might jeopardize my safety and others. That is the reason I rely on my training in other areas and let the unformed officers do their jobs. I have another job to do. At home, it is a different story. We unfortunately have to have these rules in place because the responsible are of the minority, not the majority. If it was a different world, I would agree with having the guns on campus. I just know the general population and it scares me, yes, even the teachers.

I think that if our school actually had trained security..as in police officers or former military that carried a weapon. Then I wouldn't see the need for a properly trained teacher to carry a weapon.(if he or she wanted to). That being said, our security people do not carry weapons, and sadly they don't do a great job of keeping kids on campus, let alone deal with a possible school shooting.

You are not a crazed loony. You sound like a perfectly normal protector of the family to me!:thumbsup2

I think that if our school actually had trained security..as in police officers or former military that carried a weapon. Then I wouldn't see the need for a properly trained teacher to carry a weapon.(if he or she wanted to). That being said, our security people do not carry weapons, and sadly they don't do a great job of keeping kids on campus, let alone deal with a possible school shooting.

See, that is the difference in what I was talking about and the OP. The article dealt with rural schools where police would have to take a long time to get there.

The answer is EASY...no guns needed. Shock collars on all the students and the Teacher with the remote! If you leave the school without permission *ZAP*, if you are disrupting class *ZAP*, if you talk back to the Teacher *BZZZZZZZZT"!:thumbsup2

At least give them cattle prods!!!

I have a 16 year old and a 10 year old and both my mom and sis are teachers...I'd like to *BZZZZZZT* them sometimes too, especially when the oldest gets mouthy!

Somebody is going to report me....aincha!:ssst:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter