Tchoup Tchoup ????

Kata

DIS Veteran
What are your favorite things to order at Tchoup Tchoup? Also I think I read there is a some night they offer a special Chefs menu at the food preparation bar? I thought I read something about this somewhere but I can't remember any details(the memory is the 1st thing to go) I would try the search engine but my ancient computer just keeps searching..........
Thanks!!!!!! :)

Tchoup Chop has a 4 or 5 course Chef's tasting menu that changes frequently if not nightly. I have had that a few times and have always enjoyed it. The restaurant has several seating options with the Chef's Bar being one that we had our last visit. We had fun watching the food being prepared and almost all of the Chefs spoke to us. My co-worker was a little disappointed that no one hollered "Bam!" or said they were going to kick it up a notch though. Another preferred seating arrangement is the booths along the center lily pond water feature which will seat 6. The waiters deliver from both sides of the table and some get their butt's wet. Another romantic spot is along the right wall as you enter under the big bamboo trunks.

We've only done the chef's menu. It was superb!!! It obviously changes, but I'm not sure how often. Our only regret was assuming we'd be drinking the signature Mai Tais, so we started with rum at our hotel, then ordered the Mai Tais at the restaurant. They were sooooo strong there. Almost un-drinkable, at least with a meal like that. My mother joined us and ordered the wine pairings for the menu, and we REALLY regretted our decision on drinks. I was able to have a sip of each wine with each course from my mom's glass, and they do a stellar job pairing each course with a good vino.

As for seating, we had mentioned when I booked the reservation that it was our anniversary. The person on the phone asked if we'd like a "quiet" spot. I said sure. When we arrived, we were taken right as you walk in the door, past the pond and basically to booths along the wall of the restaurant. At first, I was a bit disappointed, since the lily pads looked so neat on the website. However, I'm so glad they put us where they did. The pond section was soooo loud when I would walk through it to get to the ladies' room. Our little booth was so quiet and secluded. It also had a sort of netting draping over the booths -- not completely, tho ... more like a window treatment -- that we really felt like we were in our own little world.

All in all, we loved Tchoup Chop, wouldn't hesitate to return, would request the quieter, secluded seating (I mean, for those prices, I don't want to feel like I'm in a Bennigan's with noise levels), and absolutely, postively do the wine pairings. Save those Mai Tais for the pool on a hot day :)

Thanks for the great responses,I actually ate at Tchoup Tchoup twice in 12/05 but I can't remember exactly what I ordered only that it was all very good. Can any one tell me the cost of the 5 course chefs tasting menu? I know the menu changes but can anyone share with me what their 4-5 course meal included? Also I am curious if you can find out what is on the the tasting menu when you make your reservation? I would hate to pay for a meal I know I won't enjoy.

Kata, I think we paid around $60 for the chef's menu, and it was around another $25 or $30 for the pairings. These are estimates, tho. I'm not sure if the prices change depending on what's being served, too. I know places where I live that offer a chef's menu change the prices depending on what they're serving.

First we were served a little tostada topped with a cabbage slaw and something very small and very raw. I'm thinking it was a fish. We don't do raw stuff generally, but thankfully we were able to gulp it down in one bite and wash it down with our pure rum Mai Tai :drinking1

I think this was an anniversary gift from the chef. He brought it out to us, as we saw no one else being served this and it wasn't on the menu.

Salad was after the tostada. If I recall, it was greens, hearts of palm, olives, a cheese, nice dressing.

Next was a big roll with cooked shrimp inside. It was topped with two large green onions that were tempura battered and fried. The roll was all right -- again, we're just not into the whole sushi thing, cooked or not -- but the fried green onions were brilliant and soooo good. Best-tasting onion rings this southern gal ever had!

The we had the fish course. Snapper (cooked to perfection) on a black bean/avocado puree. On the side was julienned carrots, slightly blanched, tossed with oil, vinegar and CILANTRO!!! Cilantro and carrots are a wonderful combination and one I've incorporated into meals at home now.

Next was the filet. I don't remember what was on it or what was served with it, but our plates were licked clean. I believe it had a sauce drizzled around it, possibly onion and/or shallot.

Dessert course involved a creamy type of cake/pie with more drizzles of goo (chocolate and white chocolate) and some raspberries.

I don't think you would need to know what the menu is when you make your reservation, as the menu changes often (daily/weekly). For places with chef's menus, we just book the ressie and look at the chef's menu when we arrive. If it looks good, we order it; if it doesn't, we just order things off the regular menu. When you arrive and get seated, Tchoup Chop hands you both menus, chef's menu and the regular menu.

I will say with Tchoup Chop, even though DH & I weren't jumping through hoops over the roll appetizer, the fact that we got a signature salad, fish, filet and dessert for around $60 far beat the price we would have paid for ordering the filet meal by itself, a salad, an appetizer and dessert. Plus you got a fish meal in there in there!

Thanks for the great responses,I actually ate at Tchoup Tchoup twice in 12/05 but I can't remember exactly what I ordered only that it was all very good. Can any one tell me the cost of the 5 course chefs tasting menu? I know the menu changes but can anyone share with me what their 4-5 course meal included? Also I am curious if you can find out what is on the the tasting menu when you make your reservation? I would hate to pay for a meal I know I won't enjoy.

Just made ressie's today, and the cost of the 5 course chef's tasting menu runs from $65 to $75 (hostess said it would probably be more like $75). We decided to just book a 7:30 seating at the food bar! Can't wait!

I ordered the Hawaiin Sampler Plate:

Hawaiian Style Dinner Plate including Kiawe Smoked Ribs, Kalua Pork & Noodle Sauté, Teriyaki Grilled Chicken, Chorizo Potato Hash and Lop Chong Sapporo Braised Chinese Broccoli

But I loved the ribs the BEST!

My mom had the crunchy shrimp appetizer that was mentioned above and my DD9 ate it all up!!

Maggie

We ate there in Feb. 05 and I had the best dessert I have ever had in my entire life!

Emeril's Banana Cream Pie with Graham Crust, Caramel Sauce, and Chocolate Shavings To die for! Huge too, enough for me, DH, & DS.

DS had the "Baby Bam Burger." He was 8 at the time. This burger is HUGE for a kid! He could barely get his mouth around it & my kid has a plenty big enough mouth, lol!

Thanks for the great responses,I am really looking forward to eating at Tchoup Tchoup again and I appreciate all your suggestions and information.
;)

I have some pictures of our meal at Tchoup Chop. But they are from 2004. Would you still be interested in seeing them?

Maggie

Our lunch from Tchoup Chop 2004:

47b4d607b3127cce9c6a1586d59100000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

47b4d607b3127cce9c6a1580d59700000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

Dumpling Box

47b4d607b3127cce9c6a158f54a800000025118AaMmzJk5bNO

Tchoup Chop's Crunchy Shrimp - Served with butter lettuce leaves and hot & sour chile glaze

47b4d607b3127cce9c6a158d54aa00000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

I think this was the Tchoup Chop Pineapple Chicken Salad

47b4d607b3127cce9c6a158b54ac00000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

Kiawe Smoked Pork Ribs - With Hoisin Barbecue sauce served with steamed rice and baked macaroni

47b4d607b3127cce9c6a158954ae00000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

Maggie

Here are a few pictures from our lunch in 2003. The only things we got different than what I posted above are:

47b3d834b3127cce9c6a1dd0bde500000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

Hawaiin Plate

47b3d834b3127cce9c6a1ddf3cda00000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

Brownie thing.

Maggie

I'm sure you'll have a great time - we really enjoyed Tchoup Chop when we tried it last May.

If you've got some time and you want to read a review (sorry no pictures on this one) check out the link in my signature.

Have fun and happy eating! :goodvibes

Here are a few pictures from our lunch in 2003. The only things we got different than what I posted above are:

47b3d834b3127cce9c6a1dd0bde500000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

Hawaiin Plate

47b3d834b3127cce9c6a1ddf3cda00000016108AaMmzJk5bNO

Brownie thing.

Maggie

Yummy!!!!!Thanks for sharing your great pictures. I just gained 5lbs and I didn't even leave my chair.
:rotfl:

We did the chef's menu at Tchoup Chop and loved every morsel of food that went into our mouth. The food is great, the mai-tai's are great and the atomosphere is great.

There is... not sure where to find it though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter