Talk to me about staying at the Hyatt and catching the DCL bus to the port

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
I have booked a very last minute, for me anyway, cruise in October. I am a DVC member and cannot find availability of any size room at any resort. I also tried the regular WDW hotels and only thing available was Coronado and All Stars, and then I thought about reading where people had flown in and stayed at the Hyatt for the night and caught the DCL bus in the morning to the port. I thought I remembered that the bus left the airport earlier than the DCL buses from the WDW resorts.

Can some share your experience with me please.

Last edited:
Staying at the Hyatt you can get one if the first busses that leave MCO. You can leave you luggage in the room as well and they handle getting it to the ship. Pre-COVID I know it was a good way to be one of the first onboard after concierge guests No port arrival time was needed, not sure if that has changed.

When we stayed at the Hyatt it was very convenient for a DCL cruise. I think the first bus leaves around 9:00am for the port. Not sure if any of that will change as they start up again.

I do this all the time and find it a low-stress way to start my vacation. And, in fact, I will be doing this at the end of October for a sailing on the Fantasy! I generally plan to arrive at MCO in the early evening the day before the cruise starts. The Hyatt was remodeled a few years ago, and the rooms are quite nice.

The details have changed a bit over time, but it's super-easy the morning-of. You should have plenty of time for a leisurely breakfast if you choose. The drive from the airport to the port is about 45 minutes, and buses seem to have started leaving by 9am or 10am in The Before Times. At least in the past, you didn't select a particular departure time from MCO - you just showed up down on the same level where the Magical Express is located. The boarding area for the DCL buses is separate, however.

As you would expect, signage is good, and everything is well-organized. Check-in for the bus plus wait time can be anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes depending on the flow of passengers and timing of departures. So I usually just worked backward from my port arrival time to figure out when to head down.

You'll be able to check your luggage right there in the bus loading area and won't have to touch it again until it shows up at your stateroom. They transport it in dedicated trucks, leaving the under-bus storage for things like strollers and carry-ons bags. Be prepared to show your passport/ID/birth certificate and whatever you received (via post or email) for bus check-in. The exact paperwork for the bus has changed almost every trip, getting to be fewer and fewer pieces of paper.

The Hyatt used to have an arrangement with DCL where the hotel would actually collect your luggage from your room and take it down to the truck. But that service seemed to have been eliminated or highly restricted (they were a little vague when I checked in at the hotel) the last time I sailed in February 2020.

All of this is with the caveat, of course, that DCL could change their rules around departure times depending on how strict they are in a few months with port arrival windows. I've heard that other cruise lines are being very strict with people not being allowed into the cruise terminals until their arrival window. But that's now - who knows where we'll be in a few months.

Bottom line: I highly recommend staying at the airport Hyatt the night before your cruise. It's a nice hotel, and the logistics make for an easy start to embarkation.

Thank you so much for that. It sounds very easy peasy. I appreciate all the details you have shared. I am guessing you just book with the Hyatt directly and there are no deals between Disney and the Hyatt as far as the rooms are concerned.

WDW 50th Celebration will be starting In Oct so resort rooms will be slim pickings. No Hyatt has
no deal with Disney. They get a lot of business travelers or layover people. They do have AAA rates
though. They can be expensive so book as soon as you can. Good Luck and enjoy your trip.

**Have stayed there at least 7 or 8 times because of late flights as it was very convenient.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for that. It sounds very easy peasy. I appreciate all the details you have shared. I am guessing you just book with the Hyatt directly and there are no deals between Disney and the Hyatt as far as the rooms are concerned.
I totally agree with previous poster. Staying at the ORD Hyatt the night before the cruise has become tradition for us. there is no better place to be than checked into your room, roaming the airport for food and shopping, knowing that you're leaving on a Disney Cruise the next morning. One suggestion....definitely get something to eat before you catch the bus as it may be awhile until you can get lunch.

The MCO Hyatt is a very nice hotel and it's very convenient to stay there the night before a cruise. Cruise-related procedures will probably be different upon cruise restart than they used to be, so I won't get into those. I'll just say that it's a nice hotel, attractive, comfortable, with good food.

No Hyatt has no deal with Disney.
You can book the MCO Hyatt via DCL for a rate that is sometimes below what you can book yourself online. I've done it multiple times, and it's still being offered.

Boarding will look very different because of covid.
They will be spacing out the Port Arrive Times much more than in the past.
You will have to wait and see what happens with the first few cruises that go out of Port Canaveral.
What will probably still happen is when your booking window opens you will go online and pick a Port Arrival Time. This will be the time you will be able to arrive and check in.

Since I am Platinum, I wonder if I will have to pick a port arrival time or if I can go whenever, like before.

Since I am Platinum, I wonder if I will have to pick a port arrival time or if I can go whenever, like before.
Before Covid, when you booked a hotel and transfers via DCL, you did not have to pick a port arrival time. I don't know if that will continue upon restart or not, but I'm guessing not.

Aside from the question about people who booked hotel & transfers via DCL, cruise guests including Platinum do have to pick a port arrival time upon restart. It's part of the guidelines DCL published yesterday.

We love staying there the night before a cruise. If you do book directly with Hyatt, check back periodically for lower rates. Once the rate for our room dropped over $100 so I cancelled and rebooked.

Don't forget the dozen or so hotels right off airport property on Augusta National Drive. Minutes from the terminal, lower price than the Hyatt and many throw in breakfast for free. Their shuttle picks you up at the airport, and drops you off the next day at the DCL bus stop at the airport.

You can book the MCO Hyatt via DCL for a rate that is sometimes below what you can book yourself online. I've done it multiple times, and it's still being offered.
The DCL rate is the same at all times, so it’s not subject to price surges based on the occupancy of the hotel. We’ve sometimes saved between 50-80$ over the Hyatt rate by booking through DCL. You can however book only one night stays (before or after the cruise). By booking through Hyatt, you can pick a king-size bed, runway view or a suite, but not when booking through DCL. The price of the hotel stay is added to your total cruise cost.

If they still offer the service when they restart, you need to call DCL as soon as possible if you book directly with Hyatt if you want them to get your luggage in the room. They put you directly on their list if you book through DCL. They also give you an enveloppe with information when you check-in if you are on the list. If I remember correctly, they require 48h advance notice, but it could also be 72h. They only mention this on the DCL site :

If you have booked a stay before your cruise directly at the Hyatt Regency Orlando International Airport and purchased transfers from the airport to the port, please call and let us know so we can ensure your transportation experience is seamless.

The DCL rate is the same at all times, so it’s not subject to price surges based on the occupancy of the hotel. We’ve sometimes saved between 50-80$ over the Hyatt rate by booking through DCL. You can however book only one night stays (before or after the cruise). By booking through Hyatt, you can pick a king-size bed, runway view or a suite, but not when booking through DCL. The price of the hotel stay is added to your total cruise cost.

If they still offer the service when they restart, you need to call DCL as soon as possible if you book directly with Hyatt if you want them to get your luggage in the room. They put you directly on their list if you book through DCL. They also give you an enveloppe with information when you check-in if you are on the list. If I remember correctly, they require 48h advance notice, but it could also be 72h. They only mention this on the DCL site :

If you have booked a stay before your cruise directly at the Hyatt Regency Orlando International Airport and purchased transfers from the airport to the port, please call and let us know so we can ensure your transportation experience is seamless.
We booked the Hyatt via DCL and were able to get switched to a runway view room just by asking if one was available. It was and they were happy to oblige. No extra charge.

I'm not sure if the luggage handling will continue upon reopening. I hope it does, but I noticed, for example, that DCL is no longer transferring guests' luggage to the airport via Onboard Airline Check-In. I wonder if the Hyatt-DCL luggage transfer will fall by the wayside, too.

We've always stayed at one of the hotels just north of the airport the night before our cruise due the price difference. In the past, the Hyatt has been well over $200 whereas the hotels just 5 minutes away were half that. We'd always be back at MCO bright and early to get on the first bus out to Port Canaveral.

With our next cruise coming up we'll be staying at the MCO Hyatt, but anticipate the bus system to be a little messy. Instead of 10:30am PAT, the earliest is now 1pm and we'll have to wait and see how they manage all the folks with different PATs at the DCL bus area.

Edit: Fixed typo

Last edited:
Instead of 10:30am PAT, the earliest is now 1pm and we'll have to wait and see how they manage all the folks with different PATs at the DCL bus area.

I curious if anyone on the first few August cruises using the DCL bus have checked in and got a PAT yet. I just reread the new guidelines and it says all guest are now required a PAT, however we checked in for the Aug 16th concierge room and we do not have a PAT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter