talk this solo into Mears, please!!

D

dahirsh

I've done Mears once and a towncar once. The only reason for the town car the last trip was that my plane landed very late and I really didn't want to be driving around to various resorts at 2am.
My first trip I used Mears. It wasn't horrible, but we did wait at the airport for quite a time while they tried to fill the bus. They gave up and sent us out with two people, plus the driver.
I've been reading some horror stories lately about it taking people an hour and a half to reach their resorts.
If I wasn't traveling solo, there would be no question, towncar all the way. But the price difference for one person is tough to justify.
So, someone PLEASE talk me into Mears for my upcoming trip.

Deb

I went with Mears in May and as long as don't have a serious time restraint, you know like you have to be somewhere an hour after you land, or you only have 2 days and need to make the most out of every single second, it really isn't that bad.

Mears ugh!!, yes as you have stated it will be cheaper for you and as ASFCurly stated if you have the time it isn't that bad. :rolleyes: But in good conscious I can not talk anyone into taking mears. :(
:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I guess I wouldn't feel right about talking you IN to it, either. But I will say that I don't think it's a terrible choice if that's what you decide to do.

If your budget is a little tight, then absolutely, take Mears. If your budget isn't tight but you have a hard time spending money that isn't necessary, take Mears. If you have plenty of time to get to your resort and you could use the money you save on something fun, take Mears.

If, however, your budget is not tight, or you are in a hurry to get to WDW after landing, or the money isn't that big of a deal to you, or your going to spend the whole ride saying "I wish I'd taken the towncar," then by all means take the towncar.

I've riden with Mears 6 or 7 times and have honestly never had a bad ride with them. It's just that the towncar was better. But if I were on a trip where my budget was a little less than usual, I would absolutely use Mears without hesitation.

I know, I didn't help you very much, did I? Sorry.

What time is your return flight? That would be something to consider. I had an 8:45 am return flight the last time I used Mears and they had me waiting outside CSR at 4:30 am and then they were 40 minutes late. I wouldn't use Mears if you have a morning return flight. They pick you up 4 hours early, at least when they are on time, they do.

... seeing if there might be someone else going during the same time period who might want to take a towncar with you? I'm considering trying just such a thing. Or maybe even trying to find a family I can split the cost with at the airport.

But I will say that Mears, which I usually take, isn't the worst thing that I've ever experienced. In fact, I'll admit to actually kind of liking it. I've usually had a chance to strike up conversations with other guets on the ride. Then again, I'm not a commando vacationer, with a whole list of "I must see this in the first two hours" etc.

Richard

If the difference wasn't 50 or 60 bucks, I wouldn't take Mears either.

I never let them pick me up 4 hours before my flight. Three should be plenty.

Originally posted by jerseydizdreamer
... seeing if there might be someone else going during the same time period who might want to take a towncar with you? I'm considering trying just such a thing. Or maybe even trying to find a family I can split the cost with at the airport.

I've thought of that, but I wonder what the cost would be if you have people in the towncar going to 2 different resorts. I just assumed that everyone had to be going to the same resort, so I dropped that idea. Let me know if you can go to different resorts.
Although I've used a towncar on the last 3 solo trips, I just got laid off from my job, so am trying to save a little money on my next trip-returning to Mears is one way of doing that. Love to hear all the reports-both positive and negative.

What about renting a car for your departure or arrival day? Mears is $16 one way. If you had a rental for your arrival, you could stop at the store and get water, snacks and such. That would save money on your food budget. If you rented a car for your departure day, you wouldn't have to wait for Mears and you wouldn't have to leave so early.

I have a gc for Avis that I will be using for my return to the airport, but I found a car for $28 taxes included thru Budget on myn arrival day. (I used the Walmart discount on the Mousesavers.com website) So, for $12 more than taking Mears one way, I can stop at the grocery for soda, water and vodka. (that will save me a small fortune at $5 a drink from the pool bars!LOL) Plus, I won't have to wait around for Mears! National, Avis and Budget have returns right at WDW. I'm not sure about the other places.

I originally rented a car for my September trip, but decided since I'll be in the DD area I would not need it. I've taken Mears several times and have experienced some long waits. But I look at the money I'm saving and extra souveniers I can purchase and stop whining.

Rhonda

I can't really talk you into it- I also had a really long wait and ride (stopping everywhere else first for everyone on the packed shuttle van) and we're going with a limo on our upcoming family trip because of it... BUT on my upcoming solo trip- I'm doing Mears again. As the other person said- you have to weigh everything. For me it's a late arrival, I am not in a hurry to go anywhere, and I really want to save the money and not spend it on just transportation to/from the hotel. I wouldn't do it if I wasn't solo though- I'll tell you that. LOL

In all of my 8 trips to WDW, I have always used Mears to and from the airport. I cannot justify the expense of using the towncar. Four of those trips were hubby and I, and four of those trips was a solo one for me. I usually arrive at the airport by 10 am, so going to other resorts does not bother me. In fact, I sort of enjoy getting a short glimse of the property on the other resorts. If money were no object, though, I would take the towncar.

THanks for posting this question Deb!

I'm in the same situation for my November trip. I really had wanted to book a towncar but I have to agree that it would be worth it to save the extra cash for my trip then spend it on a towncar. I will be at least getting a ride back to the airport from someone so I only have to worry about Mears one way.

Brad

One word.

Taxi.

No prior arrangements need to be made coming or going and the ride is individual...no extras ride with you.

Not sure why it's never mentioned but we have had fine transportation with a plain old taxi. :cool:

Have a fun trip!

I still haven't made up my mind.

I've changed decisions several times in the past month or two.

Just when I thought I had deceided to "buck up" and deal with Mears, a coworker pointed out to me that a 90 minute wait at the airport would likely put me in a foul mood. Not the best way to start off my vacation. A mini tour of the other resorts might be fun, but staanding around an airport would not.

Wouldn't a taxi run the same/more than a towncar?

Deb

I got a quote on a Taxi and it would cost more than a towncar!!

The quote I got was $54 (I think) one way!!

Brad in Ma.

Yep, taxi costs a bit more than a town car.

This is why we used the taxi though.......

#1 no prior arrangements had to be made. You just go to the taxi area and they hail a cab for you. Same deal at your hotel...really easy, and nope, we don't tip the guy who hails the cab.

#2 pay with cash. I'm NOT positive, but to reserve a town car, I was under the impression that a credit card would be needed to hold the reservation.......I try to say away from giving out my cc just to hold reservations.

#3 one time too many, we have had our flight delayed while still at the departing airport. Worrying about the towncar waiting for us and NOT being able to contact them would drive me bonkers.

#4 and the BEST reason yet, if you like "art". The wall/fence that's in the taxi area at the Orlando airport is the most wonderful work of sculpture I've seen in some time! Even if you don't take a cab, see if you can find this wall......

:cool:

If you are arriving the the morning and want to use part of that day for the parks, I would say take the towncar.

If you are arriving at night and are just going straight to your resort, then Mears will be fine

Carol

I always use Mears when I travel solo. For the difference in price between the shuttle and a Towncar, I can have a nice meal in a sit-down restaurant (two, if it's lunch). I use Mears for the same reason that I stay at the All-Stars- I'd rather spend my vacation money at my destination and while I'm awake. There are always drawbacks when you economize, but when I weighed the pros and cons, for me, there was no contest. Someday, I would like to stay at a fancier resort or take nicer transportation, but by cutting back on perks, I get to stay in my favorite place a little longer.

I've never had to wait more than a half hour at the airport and now that they've got those pager things, at least you wait in a nice, air-conditioned area. I've rarely made more than three stops, either. Usually, they're pretty good at grouping people together. The return trip is another story, of course, since they usually send you back on a bus, not a van. More room means more travellers means more stops. I don't mind an early return, though, since check in times at the airport are so unpredictable. I fly to MCO in the morning and depart mid-afternoon, BTW, and I always make them both mid-week. I don't know if that has any bearing on how easy I've found Mears to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter