talk this solo into Mears, please!!

Originally posted by jenelope
I always use Mears when I travel solo. For the difference in price between the shuttle and a Towncar, I can have a nice meal in a sit-down restaurant (two, if it's lunch). I use Mears for the same reason that I stay at the All-Stars- I'd rather spend my vacation money at my destination and while I'm awake. There are always drawbacks when you economize, but when I weighed the pros and cons, for me, there was no contest. Someday, I would like to stay at a fancier resort or take nicer transportation, but by cutting back on perks, I get to stay in my favorite place a little longer.

I've gotta tell you. You're not helping <g> I had just about talked myself in to the expense of a towncar. I stay at the All Stars for the same reason. Although to be honest, I could stay cheaper since I work for a major hotel chain and qualify for a very nice employee rate. But I choose to stay on site for the convenience and relative security. I guess it's just all a matter of weighing the pros and cons.

Deb

I just posted to a similar thread on the Transportation Board. I'm glad to read a least a couple of positive things about Mears, here on this thread.

I'd love to take the Town Car too, but can't justify the cost (and it looks even worse in our Canadian dollars :eek: ), since I'm going solo this trip.

I'll be arriving at MCO at 10am on a Wednesday, going to All Star Sports and departing from an off-site hotel for my last night at 1:05pm on a Thursday. I hope I experience the same ease you had in taking Mears, Jenelope!

I've never had a 90 minute wait at the airport for Mears. My usual wait is about 20 minutes. The worst was 40 or so and that was only once. I use Mears often. I don't like it much (last weekend I wound up at the airport GATE two hours before my flight, and I hate the sitting around waiting) but I can't justify the cost of using anything else. $60-$80 buys a lot of kungalooshes.

When are you going? Jerseydizdreamer's idea might be good if someone else is headed to your resort or at least near it. Perhaps if you found someone willing to share who was at another resort, you could call the towncar co. and see if they'd be willing to put you both in the same towncar for a slightly higher fare.

Arrive at MCO morning of 10/24, depart morning of 11/1.

Anyone with a similair schedule?

Deb

I always take Mears when I travel solo.

The differences with Mears, I think, is in the mind set. If you look at your whole trip as being laid-back, then the extra time to get to your resort won't make a difference. If you are bound to stay on a rigid schedule, then you need an alternative. To me, having someone drive me like a movie star to my resort, is a little uncomfortable.

I have never found that it has taken and hour and a half or more to get to my resort. Yes, there have been a couple of stops before I got to my destination, but so what. Someone else would have had to wait for me if it was the other way around.

The price is right. Yes, they do like to pick you up 3 hours before your flight time, but you have to appreciate the fact that they don't want you to have any more problems than are necessary in reaching your exiting flight. I have gotten in the habit of taking an early morning flight going to WDW and talking a flight that leaves around 6 or 8 in the evening to get home. That way, I can get up late, have lunch in one of the parks, visit DD for my final purchases, and still have time to meet Mears to return to the airport.

::yes::

Originally posted by jerseydizdreamer
[B I'll admit to actually kind of liking it. I've usually had a chance to strike up conversations with other guets on the ride. Richard [/B]

The last time I went down I took Mears and struck up a conversation with a Mother and Son who was also from MA. Well, we had a blast talking and decided to share a day at Epcot. So I had at least one day to hang out with someone. So, I guess I would have to say that I like Mears and would take it. It's cheap and you get to meet new people.

I have taken Mears 30+ times and discover the wait has alot to do with when your plane arrives. It seems to me that if you arrive at the airport at noonish your wait will be short 15 minutes. If you arrive late at night it seems to be longer. When you get ready to go back to the airport when you call Mears before you give your plane time ask what time other guest have schedule for. If there is a time near when you want to go I just say Ill call you back and go out front at that timeand wait. Once the driver said to me your not on the list and I said well I called it was really not a lie I dd call just didnt book a return time. Hope this helps

I guess I have had the worst experience with Mears, when we went in June, we had the 90 minute wait at the airport, then we went to ALL the other terminals to pick up and then we finally reached CSR it was over 2 hours, not exactly the way I wanted to start my vacation, so the last 2 times I have taken town cars....1st experience with town cars: a driver that talked ALL the way, not exactly what I wanted, the 2nd experience was much better (with Tiffany Town Cars)
Oh and I did write a letter to Mears about our experience and they did refund half of our cost because of the delay, but did not excuse the wait saying the time was not guaranteed.

i'm from ga and usually drive to orlando...quite easy to get around even for the novice. this dec 13-20, i'm flying from athens to make it easy on myself. i've considered mears and other such services, but was able to book a compact rental from payless for a totalcost of 123.50 (base rate 89.99/week). this will allow me the ultimate flexibility for the entire week at a cost around that of a taxi to and from the airport. moreover, as my return flight is very ealy am, i don't have to 'worry' about getting there on time. i like having a car...to pick up groceries, easy access to any park in the area, and could even take a day to head to the beach (about an hour if i desire) or to tampa's bush gardens.

i am an okw owner short on points, so i think i'm going to stay at one of interval's five-star resorts (e.g., a marriott) off site this time. very reasonable at this time of year.

pchpieprincess:

I don't like getting picked up 3 hours ahead of time to get to the airport especially w/an early morning flight. I like the idea of renting a car for a day. One piece of advice if you decide to take mears. When returning to the airport give them 10 minutes & then call them w/your confirmation number in hand. They were supposed to pick me up at 4:45 am & at 5:00 am I called them. They said I did not have a reservation until I gave them my confirmation # - then they found my ressie & came.
Good luck
pgjam :teacher:

Originally posted by dahirsh
I've been reading some horror stories lately about it taking people an hour and a half to reach their resorts.
If I wasn't traveling solo, there would be no question, towncar all the way. But the price difference for one person is tough to justify.
So, someone PLEASE talk me into Mears for my upcoming trip.

Deb

I may or may not have posted before on this thread, and if I did, please disregard everything I wrote before! I recently went to WDW and "an hour and a half" was not a horror story for me. That's how long it took and that was okay by me! I was not in a hurry. Mears was BY FAR the best way to begin and end my WDW vacation, in my opinion. Your preferences may vary. My (long) report is here if you're interested http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=458409

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter