Taking SOn out of school For disney

eliza61 said:
Another teacher weighing in. I generally don't like to take kids out of school for vacations. To me it just sends a bad message, but as a mom I totally understand, especially if this is really the only option you have to get off. I teach 7th grade math and my policy is notto excuse kids for Disney vacations. I'm up front with any parents who tell me this. I am not giving make up work and if there is an exam at this time the child will not be allowed to take it at a later time. That's just my policy. I took my kids out of school for 2 days once when they were in 2nd grade but I felt so guilty that I was having some poor teacher go out of her way that I never did it again. Just my 2cents.

Not judging, well maybe I am a lil or alot... But 7th grade, no makeup tests? That's a lil harsh don't ya think? It's not college it's grammar school. I am glad at my DD's school the teacher is required to have make up tests for all students regardless of there reason for absence (one of the pros about paying tuition is that I can dictate where my money is going :teeth: ). I am sorry but I am a nurse and it is incredibly difficult for me to get off in the summer because alot of the old babes take their trips then and aside from that my hubby is a bricklayer and all his money is made in the summer so it is becoming increasingly difficult for us to get away at that time.

I think it is seriously selfish for that to be the expectation of a professional who only works 9 months of the year (no holidays,weekends or summers none the less) I mean really family vacations are important and they are not always taken at the most convenient time.

I too am a nurse, I work holidays, weekends and never get much time off. :sad2: And my husband too works mainly in the summer. We are going to WDW 1st week in December. My daughter 4 will be starting preschool, but we will take her out for the week. I pay tuition too. Family time is way more important than school time, :teacher: I think that's what most kids are lacking now days. I did read a post a while back, where the teacher had the student write a report that had to be presented to the class upon returning from WDW, what a great idea, :thumbsup2 and as for make up tests- why not? Harsh in my opinion. pirate: School is hard enough as it is and family time isn't what it was 30 years ago. :confused3 I plan our vacations so it is convienent for me and my husband, bills, time of year and as the kids get older I'll have to plan around sport teams as well. So LET THEM BE KIDS AND ENJOY BEING A KID. ;) :wizard: :woohoo:
:hourglass

I'm taking the kids out of school for 4 days before Christmas break. Air tickets paid, no going back...we'll just deal with the consequences....I intended to write a note to send the first week of school for both. DS is in 7th grade, DD in 2nd.

i like the idea of you guys telling the school up front that they are missing school..but i'm not sure what would happen if i did the same thing.

I'm telling you that one school district near me called the courts on a mom who planned to take her child out of school for a week. It was jail and vacation, or go to school.

I havent heard of this since, and it was years ago, but i remember it vividly. I will say that my son made straight A's last year and had no unexcused absences. This 3 1/2 day absence probably wont be a big deal (were in a new school district, just our second year and a brand newly built school with new teachers) but it does make me nervous.

How do you go about telling teachers that your going to Disney for a trip rather than school. I just sounds bad. Its not like were taking them to London (tho we could sorta..at epcot LOL)

Seriously, has anyone ever been given a really hard time?

nurseypoo5 said:
i like the idea of you guys telling the school up front that they are missing school..but i'm not sure what would happen if i did the same thing.

I'm telling you that one school district near me called the courts on a mom who planned to take her child out of school for a week. It was jail and vacation, or go to school.

I havent heard of this since, and it was years ago, but i remember it vividly. I will say that my son made straight A's last year and had no unexcused absences. This 3 1/2 day absence probably wont be a big deal (were in a new school district, just our second year and a brand newly built school with new teachers) but it does make me nervous.

How do you go about telling teachers that your going to Disney for a trip rather than school. I just sounds bad. Its not like were taking them to London (tho we could sorta..at epcot LOL)

Seriously, has anyone ever been given a really hard time?

Don't worry hunny, My DD has the flu really bad (I know not quite a Disney vacation) but seriously she was out for two weeks and her school didn't even ask me to present a Dr's note. So I honestly, wouldn't worry too much about it. In our case DD will only be missing about 4 days of school because Monday and Tuesday of our trip her school is closed for an inservice or something along those lines :goodvibes

Goobergal99 said:
Not judging, well maybe I am a lil or alot... But 7th grade, no makeup tests? That's a lil harsh don't ya think? It's not college it's grammar school. I am glad at my DD's school the teacher is required to have make up tests for all students regardless of there reason for absence (one of the pros about paying tuition is that I can dictate where my money is going :teeth: ). I am sorry but I am a nurse and it is incredibly difficult for me to get off in the summer because alot of the old babes take their trips then and aside from that my hubby is a bricklayer and all his money is made in the summer so it is becoming increasingly difficult for us to get away at that time.

I think it is seriously selfish for that to be the expectation of a professional who only works 9 months of the year (no holidays,weekends or summers none the less) I mean really family vacations are important and they are not always taken at the most convenient time.

Whoa! I think that was out of line. I am a teacher and we do not work only when we are at school. We have to make up lesson plans for each and every day, grade papers, and correspond with parents. Our summer vacations are not paid, and I can tell you from experience that we work during summers getting things ready for the next school year, and doing phone or home visits to new students. Besides we are PAID for 9 months(or 10 in most school systems, anyone still have a 12 week break?) and anyone who wants to try to do my job for a week would agree we are UNDERPAID!

Seventh grade IS a big deal, and it is important that kids and parents take it seriously. If a teacher gives make-up tests for every child who goes on vacation, and then half the class misses one week during the school year, the teacher could be stuck having to give make-up tests each week. Is it fair for a teacher to have to work an hour extra so that your child can go on vacation? And if they do, won't your child expect that courtesy in high school and college, where it is not gonna happen?

At any age, I would discuss the matter with the teacher in advance. Be procative and let her know what you will be doing to make up for lost time. For younger children, the Epcot Passport would be a good show and tell, along with pictures of each country. For older children, a journal would be nice, with things they learned that they didn't know before about Disney. If you let the teacher know well in advance, maybe she could change the plan slightly and make the test earlier. Teachers are human and believe it or not, we can be very understanding if treated with some consideration. And if you don't like what you hear, go to admin and plead your case.

Also, most schools have Spring Break, long Memorial Day weekend, Fall Break, long Labor Day weekend,Thanksgiving Break, and Christmas Break. If you go during one of these times, your child's time out of school will be reduced. I am going on Labor Day weekend and my son(7th grade) will miss only 1 day of school for the trip.

Marsha

torinsmom said:
Also, most schools have Spring Break, long Memorial Day weekend, Fall Break, long Labor Day weekend,Thanksgiving Break, and Christmas Break. If you go during one of these times, your child's time out of school will be reduced. I am going on Labor Day weekend and my son(7th grade) will miss only 1 day of school for the trip.

Marsha

Marsha, I truly have high respect for what you do and you make some very valid points. Discussing in advance is great advice. The only issue that I have is the prices, especially for the Disney Cruise, are out of this world during any time that the kids are out of school.

We attempted to do a Spring Break cruise last year and I ended up going the week after Easter and our Spring Break to save over $2000 on the cost of the cruise.

This year, we are going over Halloween and our 7 night cruise is $400 more than our 4 night cruise was the week after Easter. So, from an financial side... vacations during normal school breaks is not financially reasonable for me.

Keep up the quest at being a great teacher. :teacher: You are highly underpaid for the value that you bring to our children.

Back in 1998 when we went to Disney on the end of November for 4 days the school that my son who was in 2nd grade to make it more of a learning experience for him by having him do different tasks like getting sand and a stone from every park, making a diary of everything he did and learned about each ride, Epcot was his main topic of his trip and he got things from different countries and did a class presentation with pictures and things he collected. He probably learned more about things than he would of sitting in the classroom. He even got a "A" for his report and all the kids in his class were excited to get something from Disney, he collected a stone for every child in his class.

I am a teacher (kindergarten). I would not mind if you took your son out..( I would just check with your child's teacher to see if he will have make-up work etc...also check with the office to inform them as well.

EeyoreFan1 said:
I dont think its wrong, I've done it, missed like 11 or 12 days of school because of Disney.. :teeth:

Same here! My son misses about 7 days in sept/oct for disney, then another 5 or so for a week in mexico (or elsewhere sunny) in Feb!

Kimmielee said:
Marsha, I truly have high respect for what you do and you make some very valid points. Discussing in advance is great advice. The only issue that I have is the prices, especially for the Disney Cruise, are out of this world during any time that the kids are out of school.

We attempted to do a Spring Break cruise last year and I ended up going the week after Easter and our Spring Break to save over $2000 on the cost of the cruise.

This year, we are going over Halloween and our 7 night cruise is $400 more than our 4 night cruise was the week after Easter. So, from an financial side... vacations during normal school breaks is not financially reasonable for me.

Keep up the quest at being a great teacher. :teacher: You are highly underpaid for the value that you bring to our children.

Thanks! Actually, the reward I get for teaching is priceless! :)

I do understand financial constraints(teacher + single mom = constant financial shortfalls) I was planning a trip during fall break in October, but when I ran the numbers, I would save more than $800 for a 4 night trip if I went during free dining instead. We have the Friday before Labor Day off, so we are going then to keep from missing more than one day(him and me) Our school is a Montessori charter school, so we are a little more lenient on family trips. Some of our kids are from INdia and other countries and will be out for a MONTH at a time.

Marsha

We have taken our boys out of school for a couple (haven't tried a whole week-DH won't go to WDW for that long) of days and have gotten mixed reactions from teachers. With No Child Left Behind being so strict now, public schools are pressed to try to keep kids in good attendance. I have had one teacher (1st grade) "tsk, tsk" me, and another (K5) share her love of WDW with me, stating that she would be missing school herself and taking her kids out for a week. It depends on the attendance requirements in your district. We are allowed 5 unexcused absences here in GA.. WDW does not qualify as an excused absences, no matter how much one tries to stress the "educational" qualities..(I mean really, who goes to WDW for an education, anyway??)

I am sure that you have taken into account your child's capabilities to catch up by missing a week of 1st grade. My kids both do well in school, so I don't fear them missing a couple of days..They are healthy, so they missed a total of 4 days each last school year-2 of them were for WDW..No one knows your kids like you do.

My feeling is....it is MY child, I will do what I see fit. At these ages (6 & 8), a couple of days off aren't going to affect that much. If the teacher can help out with homework upfront, great. If not, oh well, it would be the same if he missed because of illness. I would probably not take them out for a week in the jr high/high school years, because I am sure they would miss too much.

Do what you feel is proper for YOUR CHILD.. I never lied to the school and said they were out sick, or anything, because I felt that I was right doing what I did. If they wanted to send DSS out, I would argue with them about the many truant kids that are out running around during school hours just doing nothing or getting into trouble...This just ain't the same...but they get lumped together anyway.

I will now relinquish my soapbox to a new opinion. :blush:

If that is the time that works for you to be able to go, I think you should go for it. It's never ideal to take your child out of school, but better to do it in first grade than in 10th grade. We are going at the end of August, but my son is starting high school this fall, 8 or 9 years ago, I would have taken him out if I had to. Just keep his teacher informed and make sure he understands that he has to make up his work to stay caught up in school.

IMO, the benefits of a wonderful trip with his family far outweigh the negatives at this point in his life!

I took my DD out of first grade for a week in September last year, and I will do it again this year. She is so far & away above her grade level, that her first grade teacher didn't even want her to do any makeup work while we were gone.

There is nothing better you could do for your kids than spend time with them and provide them travel opportunities. :thumbsup2 Go for it - have a great time. :cool1: You'll never regret it. My dad was a teacher and used to take us out to travel. I learned and retained much more from those trips than in school (college graduate BTW). :wave:

rmom50 said:
There is nothing better you could do for your kids than spend time with them and provide them travel opportunities. :thumbsup2 Go for it - have a great time. :cool1: You'll never regret it. My dad was a teacher and used to take us out to travel. I learned and retained much more from those trips than in school (college graduate BTW). :wave:

ITA with this post....couldn't have said it better myself. It will be soon enough that your kids don't want to have anything to do with you, enjoy this time together...

You will be so glad you chose this time of year, as you walk right on to many of the rides instead of standing in line for 2 hours...

I fought with this myself - I was supposed to take my kid brothers on a trip where they would miss school. Both have great grades, and know that they have to have very very good grades to get to miss school. Neither made the (fairly high) standard set in order to miss school, so I had to reschedule and snip - during free dining, no less! Their grades are still very good, and not to be punished - but they can't have the VERY big extra of missing school. We worked a way where they get disney time twice, but without missing school.

My 4th grade teacher/wife only asks 1 thing from kids who will be gone for any time to go to Disneyworld; Do a trip report w/ 3 things you learned.

I asked her if the kids got mad, and she has never had a kid who couldn't wait to tell the whole class things about the trip when they get back. She says usually, the day they get back, it's the first thing they want to do.

She and I agree; life is too short and you will work extremely hard during your lifetime. Take advantage of every opportunity for fun, becuase when you're gone, you can't take any of this with you. :cool1:

My 2 Grand daughters are now 6 and 11
The last 3 years we have taken them out of school for 5-7 days for each Disney Trip in October or Nov
We always asked the teachers for any work ahead of time and had them complete what they could before we left and finish up when we returned.
The school/teachers never have had a problem and look at it as a learning experience. We also had a few teachers who wanted to come along.
The girls had no problem catching up in class after returning to school.
:cheer2:

We will take our first grader out the first week of Sept. She will miss 4 days of school b/c of the Labor Day Holiday. We are lucky enough to have her teacher in our church and she says no problem. However my daughter is extremely advanced.......reading on a fifth grade level already. It makes more since for us to go during Sept and we will continue until we meet a teacher who has a problem with it.........and will probably still go anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter