Taking SOn out of school For disney

jmlaw said:
IMO, the benefits of a wonderful trip with his family far outweigh the negatives at this point in his life!

I'll Second that.

Hey all! My turn!:)lol...We have a disney trip planned Dec 7-14. We will be driving down so we are looking at 11 days our kids will be out. There are many factors why we have chosen this time to take our vaca. Number 1 is our daughters' (Ashlie) health issues(seizures). does not do well in high (anything over 70) temps. So this will be perfect. Number 2,saving $$$. #3,its our christmas present!! I have already spoken to Ashlie's spec ed teacher,she told me there are 2 things-have fun and keep a journal! Yippee!! i love this woman! When school starts i am going to talk to my other daughters teacher. Hopefully that will go well,if not,then it's off to the principals' office!:scared1:

Paula

We went 9/05 and are going 10/06 not to save money, but because why spend thousands on a trip only to go to a congested park? When we went in 9/05, we walked on all the attractions, no wait, no crowds. A WDW trip is like one month's salary for my husband or almost a month for me, so this is a bite out of our budget, we want to make sure we get a lot of bang for our buck.

My kids are going into 3rd and going into 8th...both are awesome students and my daughter gets straight A's in honor classes. They don't give my son letter grades until this year, so they catch up pretty quickly. The teachers were all "ok" with it, maybe because my kids are not troublemakers and score high on standardized tests, too. Or maybe they were mad and held their tounges????

We spend hours together as a family at museums, zoos, etc and we have friends who are teachers, musicians, scientists, actors, authors and artists and my husband is an artist, so they get exposed to quite a bit of learning every day.

Go and have fun...I used to spend 2 weeks every November and every March from 2cnd grade to 6th visiting my parents and I still received all A's, didn't kill me!

My DD will begin Kindergarden this fall and we have every intention of taking her out of school the week of T'giving--they are already out Wed-Fri that week.
My parents took me out of school when I was a junior and my sis out T'giving week 3 different years. (Of course, she was in a parade "representing" the school so it was excused...whatever. Anyway, we both graduated with honors and college credit from high school, so it apparently did have any lasting effect on us.
I think this is just a decision each parent has to decide for themselveds based on their individual situations.

My school system has a very strict attendance policy, but they do give 5 parent days that can be used for any reason. I will use one parent day at the end of September so we can take advantage of free dining. We have fall break the first week of October. My DD is a very good student. We do seek educational opportunities when we travel. She is growing up so fast I just want to create some wonderful memories for both of us.
Every parent has to consider child's age and personality, and of course school policy then do what is right for your child. :goodvibes

This has hit a nerve with me. I take my kids to WDW almost every year and I refuse to feel bad for enjoying my family (lots of people try to get me to feel bad but why, I can't figure). I am 100% certain that when my children think back on their childhoods they won't remember old Ms. so & so and the spelling test they missed but they WILL remember when Goofy tripped Daddy at Chef Mickey's and the food went everywhere and my kids WILL remember that their parents made spending time with them their #1 priority :grouphug:

My 2 cents is go ahead and enjoy yourself at WDW.

but this is what i do not understand, why do people care what other people think on this subject, you will get mixed responses, people say be nice when they know there are people out there waiting for something to fuss about, do what is best for your family and don't give a care what others have to say on the subject, we go every other december and i take my dtr out of school, i could care less what others think. I used to be one of those that did not, but there are certain factors, the beginning of dec is value season, shorter lines and my dtr does not get frustrated waiting in those long lines, we get to enjoy, i met a family at the airport once they were leaving as we were comming down, they told me how they take their kids out and the reasons why i thought about it, and i have done it ever since, it works for us, do what works for you

have fun on your trip

I am a first grade teacher in the inner city. Kudos to you for working hard and being able to take a great trip and spend time with your child! This year I had students who missed 50-60 days, illegally. I know darn well they were sitting at home watching tv. In my district the "maximum" number of absences is 28, but with the budget cuts we have lost most of the staff who deal with truancy.

I do not feel it is overly detrimental for a child to miss a week of school in the first grade, even in the beginning of the school year...especially if he/she is a decent student. I respect parents who spend time with their children and work on skills with their children! I have had plenty of parents tell me their kids will miss school for x, y, or z. Unless they have a large number of absences already, there is really nothing I can say about a trip. I guess other districts are stricter and some teachers appear to get very upset about this issue, but that is my opinion.

Have a great time and build PRICELESS memories with your child!

I work in a preschool for children with neurological disorders; kids who need more than anything to have some structure in their lives. Unfortunately ALL THE TIME I am seeing kids absent from school and we know for a fact (because the parents call) that the parents were just not feeling like taking the time out of their day to bring their kid to school, and would rather do whatever while the kid's at home in front of the TV.

Nothing annoys me more than having someone who is NOT a relative of my child tell me how I should spend my time with my child and when I'm allowed to do it. My little girl is entering the 5th grade this year and her 11th Birthday present is a trip to Disney. I can NOT wait to see the look on her face in Novermber when she finds out. It's not even entered my mind to be concerned over whether her teacher will have a problem with my daughter being out for a few days in December, because this is OUR family and OUR vacation, and the ONLY time we're able to do it.

Bleh, I told myself I wouldn't get crabby about this type of thing :) I'll shaddap now!

As a former teacher, middle school ED/BD i had kids miss school because they wanted to stay sleep, i looked at things this way, first with everything going on in the world today, we need to enjoy every minute we can, think about the number of kids that go to disney or even on a vacation, now imagine all the ones that don't and never will. I have a sister who is rich, my neice lives a good life, i overheard her talking my my dtr telling her she is so jealous of her because we go to disney, point is even people with the means to go are not always abel to due to work etc.... thankfully my sister and her kids we be going with us for the first time.

HappyLawyer said:
As a former teacher, middle school ED/BD i had kids miss school because they wanted to stay sleep, i looked at things this way, first with everything going on in the world today, we need to enjoy every minute we can, think about the number of kids that go to disney or even on a vacation, now imagine all the ones that don't and never will. I have a sister who is rich, my neice lives a good life, i overheard her talking my my dtr telling her she is so jealous of her because we go to disney, point is even people with the means to go are not always abel to due to work etc.... thankfully my sister and her kids we be going with us for the first time.

This is SO true! My sister just built a new 5000 sq ft. house on 10 acres with a real basketball court and now they are installing a pool. She can pretty much buy whatever she wants and does. Sad thing is that they don't have the time to go to Disney and both of them say that a trip to Disney doesn't "appeal" to them. So, what about their kids, 10 and 7? I feel bad for them, and they are sad that we are going back again. My sister and BIL will not let them go without them, but don't want to go. I just feel like we should enjoy our kids while they are young, because before we know it, they will be grown. So, although I have a limited income, I will gladly take my son to Disney, even if it means no eating out for a few months. Its worth it to me!

Marsha

I have a 12 yr old and an eight yr old who have finished grades 6 & 1 respectively.

We took them out for 9 school days last year. Doing it again this year :banana: (I :love: free dining).

My son is making the transition to middle school. I feel terrible. But.. my SIL, who works at the school, asked one of his (future) teachers about it, and they said to go and have a blast. He said the first 6 weeks are review from last year anyway.

So away we go!!

Okay, I have to put in my 2 cents worth too. My DD8 will be in 3rd grade and I've already discussed with her teacher that we will be going on vacation in October. She said she was fully aware of DD's grades as she pays attention to the upcoming students as well as the ones she has in her class. DD is an all A student and she will not penalize DD for being out. There are a few hoops that I have to go through, like write a letter of authorization to the principal, but at the end of the day, we'll be going anyway. Then luckily, we found out that fall break is during the week we'll be gone, so she will only lose 2 days of work. If DD was having problems in school, etc., then I would think twice but I don't have a single worry about it. Her teacher is even going to work with her to get some of her work done before she leaves and can work on some when she gets back or we can take it with us.

Pocohantasfan said:
Okay, I have to put in my 2 cents worth too. My DD8 will be in 3rd grade and I've already discussed with her teacher that we will be going on vacation in October. She said she was fully aware of DD's grades as she pays attention to the upcoming students as well as the ones she has in her class. DD is an all A student and she will not penalize DD for being out. There are a few hoops that I have to go through, like write a letter of authorization to the principal, but at the end of the day, we'll be going anyway. Then luckily, we found out that fall break is during the week we'll be gone, so she will only lose 2 days of work. If DD was having problems in school, etc., then I would think twice but I don't have a single worry about it. Her teacher is even going to work with her to get some of her work done before she leaves and can work on some when she gets back or we can take it with us.

See this is where the fear for me sets in, i can see the school board making an example out of my child for missing 3 1/2 days. Part of me wants to lie and act dumb and pretend i thought fall break started the week we left instead of the next week (were going to be gone 2 weeks, 6.5 school days are off anyway, he will miss 3.5 days). I was just going act dumb, but now i guess not, i'll buck up and just nonchalantly tell the teacher...btw, Tyler will miss 3 days of school in Sept so i want to let you know in plenty of time, i'll have him write a report on his trip day by day, like a diary :).

Try not to give her to much of an option for argument, but still be nice as pie :)

THanks ya'll :)

Liz

nurseypoo5 said:
See this is where the fear for me sets in, i can see the school board making an example out of my child for missing 3 1/2 days. Part of me wants to lie and act dumb and pretend i thought fall break started the week we left instead of the next week (were going to be gone 2 weeks, 6.5 school days are off anyway, he will miss 3.5 days). I was just going act dumb, but now i guess not, i'll buck up and just nonchalantly tell the teacher...btw, Tyler will miss 3 days of school in Sept so i want to let you know in plenty of time, i'll have him write a report on his trip day by day, like a diary :).

Try not to give her to much of an option for argument, but still be nice as pie :)

THanks ya'll :)

Liz

Have a great time and don't look back!! I wonder how much of teacher resistance that is encountered at times is not them personally, but that little Board of Ed. voice in the back of their heads pounding in the attendance policy...I always just inform the teacher that DS will be missing these days....if there is anything we can do as far as homework or whatever, that would be great. No apologies, no lying, no asking permission, "do you mind?"....It's my kid...I know the attendance policies, and we are willing to accept them...If I thought it would be detrimental to DS's, I wouldn't do it..missing 2-3 days is just the same as a sick absence. I wish they would concentrate on those parents that just don't feel like getting out of bed to get their kids ready for school. and this doesn't just happen in the underpriviledged areas. My neighbor across the street (no money cares in the world...) didn't feel like getting up one day(neither mom nor dad) to take their son to private school...so he just stayed home and played outside..I don't get it...

Please don't let anyone make you feel bad for making a logical choice for going this time of year...I wonder how many distractors out there are just feeling "sour grapes" because they can't/wont do the same...

Have fun making memories with your family!!

I'm a teacher - I've taught Pre-K through 5th grade. My opinion may mean something or nothing to you, but I've got to let you know how I feel. School is not the only place for children to learn. If this is the only time or the best time for you to take your child(ren) to Disney, then go, go, go! I think it's safe to say that no one concept has ever been exclusively taught in the 7 days that your kid will miss school for this experience. Make it a point to record special experiences with your kid that will translate into life lessons for tomorrow. Enjoy your vacation. Enjoy the wonder of your child experiencing the magic. Don't let unimportant things ruin your vacation either - who cares if there are no towel animals - so what if the bus is running late - if it rains and you're all getting wet, then dance in the rain!!! If we live to be 80, then we have about 29,200 days on this planet - spending 7 of them in Disney certainly can't hurt!

When we went to WDW, Seaworld & Universal this past Feb both of my children's teachers, grades 1 & 2, requested journals. At first I didn't think much about this, I thought it would be one more thing to do when we came home. :sad2:

I figured I could let the kids use our photos to help them remember what they did each day so when we got back I had 3 sets of pictures developed (kept one) and gave one to each child. While I was at Walmart I picked up 2 clear white 1 inch binders and 4 sets of clear 3 ring paper protectors to hold their photos as day markers. When we sat down to work I made both DD & DS a pile of photos for each day in Orlando. While they were writing their journals they could flip through the pictures and select 1 photo per event they described. When they finished it was 1 page per day + 1 page of photos per day. Since our trip was 10 days the journals took 3 days to finish.

When my children were done I realized that finally I had a way to preserve WDW through my children's eyes. Both of my children got A's on their reports but I got 2 treasures I'll keep forever. :woohoo:

LuvOrlando said:
When we went to WDW, Seaworld & Universal this past Feb both of my children's teachers, grades 1 & 2, requested journals. At first I didn't think much about this, I thought it would be one more thing to do when we came home. :sad2:

I figured I could let the kids use our photos to help them remember what they did each day so when we got back I had 3 sets of pictures developed (kept one) and gave one to each child. While I was at Walmart I picked up 2 clear white 1 inch binders and 4 sets of clear 3 ring paper protectors to hold their photos as day markers. When we sat down to work I made both DD & DS a pile of photos for each day in Orlando. While they were writing their journals they could flip through the pictures and select 1 photo per event they described. When they finished it was 1 page per day + 1 page of photos per day. Since our trip was 10 days the journals took 3 days to finish.

When my children were done I realized that finally I had a way to preserve WDW through my children's eyes. Both of my children got A's on their reports but I got 2 treasures I'll keep forever. :woohoo:

As a Scrapbooker I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!! :artist:

torinsmom said:
Seventh grade IS a big deal, and it is important that kids and parents take it seriously. If a teacher gives make-up tests for every child who goes on vacation, and then half the class misses one week during the school year, the teacher could be stuck having to give make-up tests each week. Is it fair for a teacher to have to work an hour extra so that your child can go on vacation? And if they do, won't your child expect that courtesy in high school and college, where it is not gonna happen?

of school for the trip.

Marsha

I am not sure what HS or college you went to, however we had make up tests in HS and if we knew in advance we wouldn't be there for a test in college, we were offered the opportunity to go to the professors class that was held on a seperate day or at another time.

As far as taking vacations during busy spring break times, that might be convenient for you, but I am a nurse, make excellent money, and my DH isn't doing to bad either and we couldn't afford to go to Disney and actually enjoy it at that time of the year so i can imagine the dillema for some of the other women/men on here.

I knew I would be flamed when I posted but I am sorry I think the comment that I quoted was selfish to boot. No one is going to dictate to me when I choose to take my child on vacation and If I was told by some 7th grade teacher with a power trip that she was refusing to allow my child a makeup test, I would be looking at other educational opportunities for my child.

Just my 2 cents :thumbsup2

I'm not going to read every response here b/c most everyone will say the same thing. Basically I am in the same boat. My oldest is in 1st grade this year, younger in pre-k 2 days per week. He will miss 5 days of school as we are leaving the first Friday in october and coming back the following weekend. One day gone is a holiday here. Anyway, I honestly hadn't given a second thought to it, partly b/c he is so young and so much further ahead than most kids in his grade at school. Second b/c my parents took us out of school for a week each and every october until I started Junior High. A couple of things I learned from them though: Tell the school well in advance and REQUEST work ahead of time. I am telling his teacher that if she gets me his work by such and such time, he will turn it in the last day before we leave. That way, you won't have to worry about homework while you're gone and she won't have to worry about grading all that makeup work - she can grade it with everyone elses.

Now, as a former teacher, I think it also depends on the kid. As I said, my son tests 2 grades ahead and picks up new things in record time. Also, I know for a fact that the majority of the kids going into the first grade will slow the class down. I'm not the least bit worried but if your childs class is more advanced and he doesn't pick up on stuff easily, then you might consider that.

Finally, we are coming back a day early so that everyone has time to wind down and get back into the routine - not to mention some much needed rest.

Have fun and enjoy - they're only young once :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter