Table Mates

calngavinsmom

DIS Veteran
Hello there! I was wondering if anyone knows how Disney pairs up people for their dining room table assignments? Is there any rhyme or reason, or is it just a random thing?

We are a family of four and I was just wondering if we would end up with another family with young children or if they just fill up the tables based on how many butts they have to put in the seats :lmao:

Thanks for any insight!
Tara

Hello there! I was wondering if anyone knows how Disney pairs up people for their dining room table assignments? Is there any rhyme or reason, or is it just a random thing?

We are a family of four and I was just wondering if we would end up with another family with young children or if they just fill up the tables based on how many butts they have to put in the seats :lmao:

Thanks for any insight!
Tara

Generally, DCL does seem to match up similarly composed groups to be seated together. Sometimes, not so much.

:cutie:

I don't believe that it is random because we have always been matched with people who had a same sex child about the same age as my DD. When she entered the teen years, it would either be another teen or an all adult table.

The funkiest thing tends to be the all adult groupings--they seem a lot more random and you see things like honeymooners with elderly couples, etc.

On both of our cruises, we were paired up with a family with children the same or close age to our children. It looked like the norm for the rest of the tables around us.

In 2 cases as a family of 3 we were paired with another set of families with girls the same age. It worked out so well where the girls because good friends. One cruise was so neat and this was surely not something DCL knew, but table mates family had built their family through adoption similar to us and one day it just came out and we bonded so quickly.

On our last cruise we were a family of 4 and sat alone. We have requested to be with other guest next time. We missed meeting new people.

I believe they do try to pair up a certain demographic.
Being 21 and travelling with my best friend, with zero kids, on our last cruise, you would imagine who we would be paired up with. We landed at a table with two couples that were all under 30 and didn't have kids. We all got along REALLY well.
I don't think it was coincidence...

I think they try to pair up as others have posted. Then they get to the last few people, perhaps 50 or some other unknown number, and then it can be just putting bottoms in seats!

We have taken 3 cruises but our last two were with friends so we had a table to ourselves. However, on our first cruise, it was just DH and I but we were seated with a family with 2 young (and not very well behaved) children. Plus, one of the adults (the Mom) was not very well behaved either :rolleyes: No rhyme or reason for that. Not only that but Disney were unable to accommodate us at another table or dining time either so we were well and truly stuck. Luckily, it was only a 3 night cruise. Had it been a longer one, I wouldn't have been happy. The Dad was a sweetheart as well and was quite obviously trying to make up for the rudeness of his wife, who kept saying she couldn't have a conversation with us as she didn't understand us :sad2:

I am not sure how DIsney manages it but I hear more success stories than not about table mates.

our first cruise we sat alone and we loved having the time to talk to our kids. Just off another cruise and I have to be honest when we walked in first night and saw a table of 8 we were nervous and thought perhaps we should explore room service or topsiders. We were paired with another family with a girl a year younger than ours and boy a year younger than ours. Perfect!

Our kids are fast friends now and the family is being stationed in our area so we will be about 10 minutes apart. We are looking forward to them arriving and are emailing with them weekly.

I didn't really believe all the stories of finding life long friends on a week long cruise. I am a believer now!

It was neat finding out how much we have in common and making new friends.

Kate

I read somewhere that Disney actually has a science to matching up table mates the best they can. Someone (or a team) actually looks at all the demographics and tries to match up like kind families as much as possible. :thumbsup2

I think that is one reason we don't know our dining rotation until we sail. :yay:

On our first cruise, we were paired w/ a family w/ a DS about the same age as ours. Demographically, we were similar. Personality wise, not so much. We are hoping for better next cruise. :rotfl2:

If you get tablemates that you are unhappy about, talk to the head server on the first night--they will move you!

If you get tablemates that you are unhappy about, talk to the head server on the first night--they will move you!

Actually, that is not strictly true - as I said above, our head server was unable to either move us to another table or an earlier dining time.

My husband and I were on a seven day cruise without children. We were seated with 3 other lovely couples (they were all DVC members, we are not) It was very enjoyable.

Best to All
Mal

Does anyone know how many people are seated at each table? There will be 7 of us on our June cruise. Just wondering if we would get a table to ourselves or be assigned table mates. Thanks!

On our last cruise on the Dream we were traveling without kids and requested a table for two....wanted some quality time with just the two of us. And sure enough...table for two!!

They did note that such a request is not guaranteed....

I've heard horror stories but never experienced any, on any cruise line. With DCL, and often with Carnival, we are seated at our own table since there are usually six of us traveling. It will just be the two of us this time, so I'm curious how that will turn out.

I traveled with my mom on a Carnival cruise and we were seated with 3 other ladies traveling with their moms, plus two other female friends traveling together. Wow that was the best table EVER! On RCI, it was a me and DD13 and we were seated with two other moms traveling solo with their teen boys. On Celebrity, DH and I were put at a table with another couple that was older than us and a solo male cruiser and we all had an excellent time.

Carnival messed up on my last cruise. It was me and DS13 and since we have different last names, I guess they thought it was a date. They put us alone at a two top!! :rotfl: Oh, well, that was fine with us.

Long story short (too late), I think the cruise lines do as good a job as they can anticipating who will work well together at dinner.

When I called to request for a specific dining rotation, the CM and I were chatting as she was entering my request in the system. She picked up that I am divorced and traveling with my DS alone. When she repeated back to my my request, she said, Requesting XXX dining rotation and would love to be paired with another single parent traveling with a child similar in age to her son." I did not specify the additional request, but it was very sweet of her to add it in. We will see what happens when I sail next month.

Our 2 cruises we have been seated with couples who were around the same age as us and we hit it off both times!
In fact, the couple we were with on our Med cruise last year are expecting their first child (well twins) as are we, and the due dates are like 10 days apart! Freaky :lmao:

:goodvibes

During all the travels with DH and the kids, we have always been at a table for the 4 of us.

I think the biggest table is a 8 person..but not sure.

on the last cruise, when it was just DH and I , we sat with 2 ladies from the midwest ..we had a great time. Although I kid DH that he had a harem.:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter