Switched to RCL for 2020 Spring Break

Madmacdad

Earning My Ears
Since 2013 we've cruised 7 times with DCL and always had great vacations and memories. After researching for next year's Spring Break, I decided to go with RCL's Oasis of the Seas for the 7 night Eastern Caribbean. Dates dictate when we can go. Sailed DCL's Western 3 times and was considering the 7 night Mexican Riviera on the Wonder which we've never sailed. This SB will be just me (Dad) and my 15yr old daughter. Oasis looked awesome for so much more to do and the price was literally 1/3 for a balcony stateroom. Decided to take the plunge and go for it.

I'll just need to learn a new drill for finding a decent hotel and getting to the port, and all the new options for dining and beverage packages. A new adventure for us.

Don't think you'll be disappointed. Oasis class is amazing! And so nice just you and your daughter. My first cruise was father daughter one , and one that I will always cherish.

I keep reading that Spring Break brings many party goers. Hopefully you won't get too many "drunk on Day 1" people on a 7-day.

Dining - There are a lot of options on Oasis, and a few new ones since it's being overhauled as we speak. You could get a dining package but your daughter will probably cost full price to eat at one of the restaurants. And eating at just one place is not worth it unless there is an offer in the planner OR they have an onboard offer.

Drink package will be tricky since the best offers are usually the BOGO 50% offer (i.e. 33% off each package). You might want to consider internet + drink package. You can bring 2 bottles of wine onboard (on embarkation only) as well.

I booked the Intercontinental Miami Bay View for my August cruise. I was also looking at the Hyatt Regency. Both are fairly close to port and I figured the views would be nice for an overnight stay. The Hyatt Places near the airport aren't that expensive, and offer breakfast (if you sign up for their rewards program). Might be worth a look.

I keep reading that Spring Break brings many party goers. Hopefully you won't get too many "drunk on Day 1" people on a 7-day.

Dining - There are a lot of options on Oasis, and a few new ones since it's being overhauled as we speak. You could get a dining package but your daughter will probably cost full price to eat at one of the restaurants. And eating at just one place is not worth it unless there is an offer in the planner OR they have an onboard offer.

Drink package will be tricky since the best offers are usually the BOGO 50% offer (i.e. 33% off each package). You might want to consider internet + drink package. You can bring 2 bottles of wine onboard (on embarkation only) as well.

I booked the Intercontinental Miami Bay View for my August cruise. I was also looking at the Hyatt Regency. Both are fairly close to port and I figured the views would be nice for an overnight stay. The Hyatt Places near the airport aren't that expensive, and offer breakfast (if you sign up for their rewards program). Might be worth a look.
Thanks for the info. I'll check on those hotels.

If Oasis is out of Miami, then we also liked Hampton Inn Brickell. Nice area with lots of restaurants. Hotel includes a pretty good breakfast.

Check dining and drink package prices on Black Friday (cruise planner). Sometimes they have good deals (and note current prices so you have something to compare with). You can always cancel a booking if it goes down.
We honestly don't bother with dining as we're fine with MDR, but a lot do like the specialty.

Since 2013 we've cruised 7 times with DCL and always had great vacations and memories. After researching for next year's Spring Break, I decided to go with RCL's Oasis of the Seas for the 7 night Eastern Caribbean. Dates dictate when we can go. Sailed DCL's Western 3 times and was considering the 7 night Mexican Riviera on the Wonder which we've never sailed. This SB will be just me (Dad) and my 15yr old daughter. Oasis looked awesome for so much more to do and the price was literally 1/3 for a balcony stateroom. Decided to take the plunge and go for it.

I'll just need to learn a new drill for finding a decent hotel and getting to the port, and all the new options for dining and beverage packages. A new adventure for us.

Oasis is GREAT !!! Review deck plans numerous times so when you board you'll feel like your back again. Keep on checking RCCL web site for new pricing deals. If better just call and save.

Hampton Inn is wonderful as Frozen2014 mentioned. We stayed there last month for our Oceania cruise. Just stayed in Hilton Downtown for our Seaside cruise and never again. Back to Hampton Inn for next Seaside cruises.

ENJOY!!!

As far as Spring Breakers go I think you'll be fine. It's usually the shorter, cheaper cruises that become party cruises.

I've stayed at Intercontinental in Miami which was very nice. Last year we stayed at Holiday Inn Port of Miami. It was basic, but reasonable priced and very close to the port. We walked across the street to Bayside Marketplace for dinner.

I came from a Disney cruise background also. I did a 3 day RCCL Mariner cruise in June, and I fully expected a party crowd, filled with 21-22yo college kids at the end of the school year on a cheap cruise. It was pretty tame, and only saw 2-3 people tipsy, and that was way into the night when kids should be sleeping anyways. I'm taking my 8-10yo kids on RCCL in April, on an 8 day.

We are doing the same thing next summer on the Symphony of the Seas. Just me and my 15 yo daughter. We always stay at the comfort suites miami airport north because they have a free shuttle to the airport and a free shuttle to the port. Its basic, but clean and comfortable.

While I haven't tried Oasis, I have tried a RCCL and I had a great experience.

I don't think you'll regret it. As long as you keep an open mind to a different experience, you'll most likely have a great time.

I started off crusing with Disney and about 5 years ago, I switched to RCL. We really enjoy it. Plus with the number of ships that RCL has, the entertainment is quite varied. I got tired on the same shows and itineries on Disney.

We did try a Carnival between Disney and RCL. That was an bad expierence. From bad dining room food, horrible entertainment and fights on board.

Joe

I started off crusing with Disney and about 5 years ago, I switched to RCL. We really enjoy it. Plus with the number of ships that RCL has, the entertainment is quite varied. I got tired on the same shows and itineries on Disney.

We did try a Carnival between Disney and RCL. That was an bad expierence. From bad dining room food, horrible entertainment and fights on board.

Joe

Which Carnival ship have you tried? 4/5 of our Carnival cruises have been great but all ships are not equal.

The Carnival Breeze. Back in 2014 or 2015.

Ok, I have never sailed on her and I started sailing with Carnival in 2016.

My experience have been great so far. They have been working very hard to make the experience better and more family friendly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!