Swan and Dolphin - Am I the only one that cringes when they see them?

Jennasis said:
Stayed at the Swan shortly after it opened (while Dolphin was still unfinished) and the decor was a bit over-the-top for me. We had a good chuckle over it and enjoyed the hotel, but it does hurt my eyes sometimes. I often wondered who designed the two Dolphin Icons as they look like large fish and nothing like Dolphins!

OMG...they are dolphin fish...not the dolphin mammal on to the dolphin..jeesh.

Thanks webray, I'm pretty sure this has been established by several others in a non-sarcastic way but I appreciate your "educating me". I probably should've mentioned that at the time I first saw the hotels (I was maybe 12) and unaware that there was a dolphin-fish. As I grew older and learned of the distinction between the two species I simply assumed the statue must've been the fish Dolphin since the statue looks nothing like a real Dolphin. However I STILL think the dolphin-fish is a weird Icon and it would've been better off using the mammal dolphin.

Whew! I wonder why Michael Graves chose a dolphin fish as an Icon?

I couldn't stand it anymore, so I sent an e-mail to Michael Graves Associates, hoping they can put the "dolphin debate" to some conclusion. I'll let you know if I get a response...my guess is that it's based on the ancient Chinese icon, others think it may be a dolphin fish. Could be it's just a creation of his imagination...hope I get a response from them!

UrsulasShadow said:
I couldn't stand it anymore, so I sent an e-mail to Michael Graves Associates, hoping they can put the "dolphin debate" to some conclusion. I'll let you know if I get a response...my guess is that it's based on the ancient Chinese icon, others think it may be a dolphin fish. Could be it's just a creation of his imagination...hope I get a response from them!

I'll be interested to see what the answer is

I admit that the first time I saw the Swan and Dolphin I thought they were something out of bizzaro world. After staying at both hotels, I realize that the design elements work together so well. The decor of the rooms is better than the Disney Deluxes, in my opinion. The landscaping is beautiful, as is the grotto pool, and the whole place is kept so clean. I also love the whimsical look of the Dolphin lobby. It's probably my favorite place to stay in all of WDW.

While Michael Eisner made some UNBELIEVABLY great changes to the Disney company, his huge mistakes flaw his record beyond repair.

To this point, the Swan & Dolphin. Only Eisner would bring another hotel chain onto the Disney property, and what an EYE SORE.

It may be incredible on the inside, but come on. The buildings are so unsightly and maybe just knowing they are not "Disney" makes it even uglier :confused3

The Contemporary isn't the most beautiful hotel either, but it was made DECADES ago! :wizard:

Anyway, to each their own, mark me down for the Swan & Dolphin are UGLY and I wouldn't stay there for FREE!!:scared:

thelionqueen said:
While Michael Eisner made some UNBELIEVABLY great changes to the Disney company, his huge mistakes flaw his record beyond repair.

To this point, the Swan & Dolphin. Only Eisner would bring another hotel chain onto the Disney property, and what an EYE SORE.

It may be incredible on the inside, but come on. The buildings are so unsightly and maybe just knowing they are not "Disney" makes it even uglier :confused3

The Contemporary isn't the most beautiful hotel either, but it was made DECADES ago! :wizard:

Anyway, to each their own, mark me down for the Swan & Dolphin are UGLY and I wouldn't stay there for FREE!!:scared:

Aesthetically, I think the All Stars and Pop Century are considerably "uglier" than the Swan and Dolphin. The Value resorts are just basically concrete block boxes plopped down on what looks like it was treeless cow pasture.

HOWEVER, when I go to ANY of these resorts, I love them for all the magic that was created out of plain concrete and flat land. And when I drive toward Walt Disney World and catch sight of the Swan and Dolphin, I laugh out loud at the vision of Grown Men and Women who must have had such a sense of humor! :fish:

Walt Disney World--classic architecture, it ain't. Fun and magic, YES!!!! :flower:

I will admit, I was a little hesitant about booking a "Non Disney" hotel for my first trip back to WDW since 1999. Being that I have always stayed on Property I knew I wanted to be on property once again. Here was my reasoning for choosing the Swan over other Disney Owned and Operated resorts...

1) Price - The cost of the Swan is 1/2 the other Deluxe resorts in the Epcot area. I am paying $169 per night for a room with a view of Epcot with a balcony. The equivalent at the Yacht Club, Beach Club or Boardwalk is well over $300.
2) Heavenly Bed - after a long day in the park, a good nights rest on the beds at the Westin cannot be beat
3) Location - If I were to pick another resort with equivalent pricing in the Moderate category, I would lose out on being right in the middle of things between Epcot and MGM.

From a financial standpoint, it is hard to pass up the Swan or Dolphin - a Deluxe Hotel at a Moderate price. Many people on this board have overwhelmingly praised both resorts and have said there is plenty of "Magic" staying in those resorts. I will be there for 9 nights in about 3 weeks and I cannot wait!

Anybody ever catch Don Knotts in the "Amazing Mr. Limpett?" (or some such title?). There may be where some inspiration lies!
:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

The Swan and Dolphin are both lovely hotels...BUT I've never thought they fit Disney World. They'd be fine in any number of other settings, but not where they are.

I have to agree with a previous poster - POP is by far the least attractive resort on site. Very uninviting, very un-Disney. My sister had a less flattering opinion. She thought it looked like an inner-city housing project - with giant toys scattered around the yard.

DisFlan

By the way, where is everyone getting the $99 Swan/Dolphin rate?[/QUOTE]

Actually, I received the $99 educator/educational support rate but it came up quickly on the Codes board and was for a very limited time (like the last 2 weeks of August) and only for part of my stay. For that price I would stay there again because of the location, the beds and the pool but they seem to have a serious water leakage problem in some of the rooms with the resulting mildew smell and wet carpet- ours was one of them. Reporting the problem got us nowhere except extra towels! I really missed POFQ at that point...

Getting back to the original question, I actually love the design of the buildings on the outside but feel the inside is looking very dated and 1980s.
DD and I call the resorts the Swan and Codfish because the stylized dolphin looks like Codfish designs here in Boston.

DisFlan said:
The Swan and Dolphin are both lovely hotels...BUT I've never thought they fit Disney World. They'd be fine in any number of other settings, but not where they are.

I have to agree with a previous poster - POP is by far the least attractive resort on site. Very uninviting, very un-Disney. My sister had a less flattering opinion. She thought it looked like an inner-city housing project - with giant toys scattered around the yard.

DisFlan

Horrible to say it, but I agree that they do resemble some kind of housing project with giant toys,haha. Definately not my idea of a great vacation hotel, but oh well.

Okay, here's the official word from Patrick O'Leary, of Michael Graves Associates:
Melinda,

I received the question to your "friendly debate." The design for the dolphin is a "friendly" version of the ancient roman/classical representation of the dolphin --- which was indeed more fishlike.

The same question was discussed in the March 1990 issue of Progressive Architecture in an article about the hotels. "The use of swans and dolphins came from his (Graves) classical studies; he saw the "friendly water-borne creatures" that appeared in Classical architecture and sculpture as appropriate images for lakeside hotels that needed to be taken seriously as convention sites yet not "blow the Disney myth" for children."

Michael was also aware of various sculptures of dolphins in Baroque fountains in Rome.

I hope this helps settle your bet. Please let me know if I you have any other questions.

- Patrick O'Leary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick O'Leary
Michael Graves & Associates

Despite what alot of people are saying I feel the Swan is a beautiful hotel. Inside is absolutely gorgeous and first class all the way!!!! The rooms are very spacious and clean and the beds are the best I've slept on Disney property. To each his own.....

It stinks in the end, because a lot of Swan/Dolphin supporters are claiming they are the best ever. It's more that we want people to try them out and actually experience the resorts to be able to come to a true opinion of the resort!

I will be at the Swan for 9 nights in late September for the first time and will post my opinions of the resort when we return. I have stayed mainly on Disney property at Fort Wilderness Cabins (many times), Polynesian (few times), All Star Sports, All Stars Movies, Port Orleans French Quarter and Yacht Club. I have enjoyed all the resorts so far and I am hoping the Swan lives up to my expectations. I have stayed at Westin resports before and they beds are excellent and one main reason I chose the resort. That and the pool plus a great rate compared to the other Epcot Deluxe resorts. I am looking forward to the trip and getting to experience another resort! Next time I think I will go back to the Polynesian, try out the Wilderness Lodge or possibly the Beach Club. Being in the Epcot area right between MGM and Epcot is very convenient which is a big plus...

To each his/her own...precisely.

;) Having stayed at every WDW resort, with the exception of the value resorts and the AKL, these two remain our favorites. The list of pros, is infinite. Listing them actually makes the Disney resorts "pale" by comparison. Yet, this is merely our personal opinion...and not expected to be shared by everyone. :confused3

Thankfully so...for that matter. These resorts have gained so much in popularity over the years, they are frequently sold-out now during long periods of certain seasons. Therefore, advanced planning and reservations are required to secure a visit there, especially an extended one (of more than 2-3 days). ;)

I'm genuinely pleased to see this thread, and reassured to know some will never be clamoring to make a reservation at my favorite WDW resorts!! :banana: All the more room/availability for us!! So, I truly and genuinely thank you...and kindly request you feel free to spread any negative opinions...etc., to everyone you pass. :goodvibes In the end...if it results in fewer reservation hassles and lower rates...I'm ALL OVER IT!! :rolleyes1

TTFN...DF99 :wave2: :sunny: :cool1:

We had a bus driver tell us one time that the Swan and Dolphin were originally supposed to be on the monorail line but it was built in the wrong place. They didn't realize until construction was already started and it would have cost too much to change it. Thats why they both have the large glass windows on the sides of the buildings, there were supposed to be the entrances and exits for the monorail.

:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter