sure wish parents would watch their kids

I'd never allow my kids to act like that on a bus. But, if there were other empty seats, and no one was standing, they weren't kicking or touching anyone else, who cares? As far as the boy being on top of the girl, have you ever watched kids wrestle around and play? At that age, my boys would have played like that and I promise they'd never seen anything like what you are inferring. Thats just how kids play when they are wrestling around. The fact that your mind went there has nothing to do with the kids or the parents.

Now this is totally different. If there are others needing seats then yeah, it's def rude to allow your kids to take up that much space.

I just don't get the judging parents for stuff like this. It's one thing if its causing harm to others or being disrespectful to others or something. But just because you don't think it's proper? And to assume that if their kids had gotten hurt they'd go after Disney? Are some people like that, sure. But I'm a big fan of the phrase "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". If my kids get hurt doing something stupid, it's no ones fault but theirs or mine. And most people I know are the same.

Also, there are plenty of times where it seems like I'm not paying attention to my kids, but I am. I'm aware of what they are doing. Sometimes I'm making a choice to let them work something out on their own, or learn a lesson the hard way because listening to mom is just too easy. Sometimes parents just get tapped out, especially after a long day at Disney, and you look at your kids and say they aren't hurting themselves, or anyone else, it's not worth the fight.

This is my least favorite part of parenting. Knowing no matter what I do, or which tactic I choose to deal with a kid situation, if it's in public, someone is judging me. I'm either too nice, or too harsh, or let it go too long, or should have just let them play or whatever. It's exhausting.

Im guessing these were you kids?

Im guessing these were you kids?
Ha! no. My kids are older thank goodness. But because I am not jumping on board with the "These parents are horrible" you assume that I'd allow my kids to run amuck? No.. I just get sick of people judging parents all the time based of a small snippet of their lives that they have seen. It is tiresome. And as others have said, the ones judging are probably from the generation that raised the parents they are judging. So if they have a problem with how this generation parents, maybe they should take a look at themselves and what their generation taught their kids about parenting.

maybe they should take a look at themselves and what their generation taught their kids about parenting.
Millennials (which I'm assuming is largely who people perceived these days to be considered the younger generation although some younger Gen Xers also fall into this) as a whole are trying to be more in tune with their children's wants and needs much more than in the past. Maybe not considered this way to everyone but it seems to be perceived to be Millennials having a better balance overall than prior generations that may have been on the more extremes (between authoritarian and permissive both a reaction to the way those were parented).

One of the more prominent parenting styles I've seen at least via stories is "use your words" where parents are really trying to get to more the heart of a tantrum or understand more of the emotions of their children and in turn validate their feelings. It's a tad like the story a poster shared about the mom joining in on the tantrum which halted the tantrum, although not truly getting to the heart of the tantrum (even if it was for no real reason at all) it at least was a different engagement than ignoring or high sternness.

Some see kids having more leeway or freedom (both emotionally and physically) as disrespect while a parent may see that as in strong opposition of their strict parenting they received. I think that's why we tend to see Boomers and older having such vocal "concerns" about parenting these days because for them their type of parenting was highly strict and anything not like that is just seen as disrespect. In fairness I think most people can agree on times when things truly cross the line but there's a lot more gray area out there.

Millennials (which I'm assuming is largely who people perceived these days to be considered the younger generation although some younger Gen Xers also fall into this) as a whole are trying to be more in tune with their children's wants and needs much more than in the past. Maybe not considered this way to everyone but it seems to be perceived to be Millennials having a better balance overall than prior generations that may have been on the more extremes (between authoritarian and permissive both a reaction to the way those were parented).

One of the more prominent parenting styles I've seen at least via stories is "use your words" where parents are really trying to get to more the heart of a tantrum or understand more of the emotions of their children and in turn validate their feelings. It's a tad like the story a poster shared about the mom joining in on the tantrum which halted the tantrum, although not truly getting to the heart of the tantrum (even if it was for no real reason at all) it at least was a different engagement than ignoring or high sternness.

Some see kids having more leeway or freedom (both emotionally and physically) as disrespect while a parent may see that as in strong opposition of their strict parenting they received. I think that's why we tend to see Boomers and older having such vocal "concerns" about parenting these days because for them their type of parenting was highly strict and anything not like that is just seen as disrespect. In fairness I think most people can agree on times when things truly cross the line but there's a lot more gray area out there.
Agreed! And even if the tantrum appears to be about something they want being tired &/or hungry can greatly effect who well they’re able to use those coping skills!

When my kids were little, if they decided to pitch a fit when out because they wanted to leave somewhere, I was not going to give in. Heck, after the effort of getting out of the house with 5 kids, I was not going to just toss in the towel, especially if we needed groceries.
My youngest wouldn't throw tantrums, per se. He would just throw himself to the floor in a heap, in abject despair, and lay there. He was kid #4--I'd be like, "Really, kid? That's all you've got?" I had seen so, so much worse with the older three!

That said, give me a parent, resolutely ignoring a tantrum, any day of the week over the pleading one who's trying to bargain with Meltdown Molly.

“Highly strict” is a very… diplomatic way of putting it. But yeah, you’re pretty much spot on here.

we were at WDW last week-- we were on the bus coming back from disney springs on the 27th when a family got on two kids a boy and girl around 4 for the girl and 5 or so for the boy

they run to the very back of the bus sitting on the sideways seat while the parents? sit below by the back door--these kids were all over wrestling on the seats

looked over once the the boy was literly on top of the girl--that did not look good wonder where they saw this from--the dad is sitting in his seat laughing at the whole thing

never once did mom or dad try to control there kids--they also had a baby whom Im surprised they didnt have the other watch the baby--

wonder what they would have done if one of the kids feel and got hurt Im sure they would have tried to blame disney--

it just annoys me how parents just let their kids run wild

just a vent--thanks for listening
It just leads to bad grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

I agree. I'm a younger Gen X and my parents were what ever was before Boomers, born late 30s (I was a suprise baby). I think my parenting style falls somewhere in between how I was parented and how my kids friends' much younger parents parent. When I was a kid I fit into my parents life, and occasionally, they would plan something just for me. Our vacations were frequently somewhere incredibly boring like the Amana Colonies. They didn't come to games, plays etc. But neither did any one elses parents so it didn't bother me. Now its the other way around lol. I found a job that allowed me to take them to practices and be there for all the things. When we plan vacations, its around things they enjoy. I do all (or most) of the things what seems like all of the time. But I am much stricter about a lot of things than their friends parents. And I hear about it constantly :rotfl2: Sometimes I'm a helicopter mom, sometimes I free range parent depending on the circumstance. Being in my 40's and having elementary age kids, I feel so old. Especially around the sports moms. How do they look so good at 6 am?

I am not the parent I thought I would be before I had kids. Pre kid me prob would have side eyed parents letting their kids be crazy on a bus. Mom me knows not all battles are worth fighting.

My youngest wouldn't throw tantrums, per se. He would just throw himself to the floor in a heap, in abject despair, and lay there. He was kid #4--I'd be like, "Really, kid? That's all you've got?" I had seen so, so much worse with the older three!

That said, give me a parent, resolutely ignoring a tantrum, any day of the week over the pleading one who's trying to bargain with Meltdown Molly.
exactly!!! Stand strong Mom! May the odds be ever in your favor.

My oldest would throw such horrible tantrums there were a couple of times I texted the neighbors "Don't worry, it's not an exorcism, I'm just making him brush his teeth!" And those neighbors are 5 acres away lol

Wouldn't the bus driver say something? Maybe he didn't see it, I don't know, but I would expect the driver to say something. Especially for safety reasons.
As a former long time WDW bus driver, visibility of anything going on on the sideway facing seats at the very back of the bus, especially if there are other passengers, is minimal. The policy when I was a WDW driver was that announcements were not to be made as long as the bus was in motion. It was considered distracted driving. If I ever heard or saw anything that could be a safety concern to other passengers I would have made an announcement the next time the bus came to a full stop. While I did make announcements from time to time none were for children misbehaving.

I was walking through Walmart last night and they have boxes of huge stuffed animals all across the front. I was coming up on a mother and her guessing 5 or 6 year old daughter which I can tell mom was saying, no, and daughter was taking a parrot, bigger than her, back to the box display. As I walked past, I whispered over to mom, "I think she needs the parrot, because it's awesome and I think I need one too."

So, hats off to that mom and daughter couple for being so calm about it. Not all kids are animals and parents morons.

I know I am about to get bashed for this but here it goes. The whole problem is we, as parents, are no longer allowed to administer corporal punishment without fear of prosecution. Kids need their butt whooped sometimes. As a kid, I feared the belt but loved my parents. I was no saint as a kid. I got more than my fair share of spankings plus paddling at school. I may have still acted up but it was never the same thing twice. It took a little time to figure out my bad behavior was the cause of the sore bottom. My kids are not perfect but they know their boundaries. But now days, to avoid any criminal charges, the worse they get is no phone, no TV, no video games and time out in their bedroom. The plus side is they are both have straight A's and in advanced classes.

I know I am about to get bashed for this but here it goes. The whole problem is we, as parents, are no longer allowed to administer corporal punishment without fear of prosecution. Kids need their butt whooped sometimes. As a kid, I feared the belt but loved my parents. I was no saint as a kid. I got more than my fair share of spankings plus paddling at school. I may have still acted up but it was never the same thing twice. It took a little time to figure out my bad behavior was the cause of the sore bottom. My kids are not perfect but they know their boundaries. But now days, to avoid any criminal charges, the worse they get is no phone, no TV, no video games and time out in their bedroom. The plus side is they are both have straight A's and in advanced classes.
Hmmm I was never once spanked and turned out fine.
You don’t need to hit someone to get them to behave.

You have to be a very crappy parent to have to resort to violence to parent.

And I’ve never once worried about criminal charges in how I parent. Is that our new measuring line - how far we can discipline without getting charged?

Last edited:
I hear this...to a point. I don't actually believe kids should be "whooped" with a belt, but I do think parents are just as afraid to be judged as too harsh as they are to be judged as too soft. You really can't win nowadays.

That’s absolute crap. I’m 53 years old, was not “abused” by the standards of my childhood, but still get pissed off when I recall being hit. I in no way deserved that and, if I am being honest, still hold it against my parents.

So strange to be like, “My kids are straight-A students in advanced classes who respect boundaries but man, I still wish I could hit them.” :confused:

Decades and decades of research indicate physical aspects such as you describe are harmful and do nothing in respects to alter the behavior (at least truly) one is trying to alter most often worsening them. It hasn't been recommended and in fact advised to not do it since at least the 90s (IIRC) by the APA. Interesting that you're more concerned about the criminal system because that's an odd fixation IMO. I myself can't believe I used to believe that crap that I was hit and had liquid soap and "turned out okay", it's disgusting how that was fed to people and horrible that I thought being hit with a belt ended up with me turning out okay.

Having straight As and being in advanced classes isn't an indication of your methodology working. IDK why peeps feel the need to brag about their kids like that. My sister got into Ivy league with plenty of grants due to academic success sure didn't stop a diagnosis of clinical depression. If anything I would have thought describing your children in some other way than academic success would have showed better what you view was the correct way to raise your children. You know like how their character was, how kind they are to others and your relationship with you but nope it's academic success.

Hmmm I was never once spanked and turned out fine.
You don’t need to hit someone to get them to behave.

You have to be a very crappy parent to have to resort to violence to parent.

And I’ve never once worried about criminal charges in how I parent. Is that our new measuring line - how far we can discipline without getting charged?
you read it how you want. I'm not worried about criminal charges as in I want to hit my kids, jeez. It's a generalized comment. Spankings and hitting are two totally different things. 3 firm slaps on the bottom isn't violence, at least to me it isn't. It's discipline and I turned out just fine and had great parents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter