sure wish parents would watch their kids

Oh yeah. I’ve seen parents like that before. Totally clueless! They were probably both raised by parents who didn’t pay any attention to them either. Manners and morals don’t even exist anymore for a big part of the younger generation. That’s a big part of what’s wrong with our country.
I gotta tell you this comment is kinda infuriating. Manner do still exist. What younger generation are you refencing exactly? Personally I think it is very bad manners to call out an entire generation. As far as morals, whose morals are you talking about? A big part of what is wrong with this country is the lack of kindness and compassion. Do I think these parents are right in this situation? No but I am not going to blame an entire generation.

The main reason why today's children are acting with behavior problems now is simply because the parents do not watch and control their kids behavior when they are in public places. Take for example when I would go to Walmart I would see kids crying uncontrollably all the time all because they want either a candy bar or a toy and while the parents are busy shopping in an aisle they don't notice that the kid is noisy and crying and just ignore them. When I was little I never cried in public or caused bad behavior and if my mother saw me noisy she would just tell me to be quiet. But when I go to the mall I always see parents with kids and the parents say things like "Jeremy use your library voice" or "Jake please don't stomp your feet" and you tell little Jake and Jeremy to follow the rules and they failed you would leave the mall until they behaved because there's nothing worse when you're shopping and the kids are horsing around the clothing racks. When my cousin was about five or six he was shopping at Big Lots with my aunt and mom when suddenly my cousin turned into King Kong and hit his head on a clothing rack and my aunt and my mom saw the whole thing and they ended up leaving the store because my cousin was crying so much. But that incident scared my aunt so much that she had to monitor my cousin's behavior. But I think today's kids need to be watched by parents because if they are not watching an accident really can happen
Dodger
Childless?

I agree. Every generation has had judgmental elders saying that the world is going to heck in a hand basket. I go to Disney yearly. This year twice. Did I see some inappropriate behavior? Yup. Did I see some well behaved kids? Yup. But you know what I see overall? Young people and children who are being open minded and kind. If that is ”loose morals”, well…I can’t help ya.
This is my experience with young people as well. I really don't understand all the hate. To me, young people/teens (in general) are way more kind and caring than people were back in my (or my parents or my grandparents) day.

Especially when people say kids today have no "morals". What does that even mean? Aren't kindness, acceptance of others, speaking out against injustice/inequality, making financial decisions based on your ethical and environmental concerns, valuing other people's perspectives and diversity, etc all examples of moral behavior?

Question for clarification: how busy was the bus? Was there plenty of room for other people? Was it packed? Were these kids physically bumping into other guests?

Just need some clarification because I think it's relevant. Sorry if I missed it in the 3 pages...
I think it's relevant too. I was picturing a completely empty bus other than the OP so I didn't think it was a huge deal. Obviously, the kids still shouldn't act like that, but it's possible the parents let it slide because they figured if the bus was basically empty the kids weren't really bothering anyone. Definitely not my style of parenting, but I would be less bothered by it on an empty bus than if the bus was packed and the kids were acting like that. If the kids were bumping into people, I would expect someone would have said something to them.

Question for clarification: how busy was the bus? Was there plenty of room for other people? Was it packed? Were these kids physically bumping into other guests?

Just need some clarification because I think it's relevant. Sorry if I missed it in the 3 pages...

Kind of curious about this too.

I gotta tell you this comment is kinda infuriating. Manner do still exist. What younger generation are you refencing exactly? Personally I think it is very bad manners to call out an entire generation. As far as morals, whose morals are you talking about? A big part of what is wrong with this country is the lack of kindness and compassion. Do I think these parents are right in this situation? No but I am not going to blame an entire generation.
I eventually had to block the person you are quoting due to the same type of comments.

They seem to have a real hate for young people. I once even started a whole thread venting about her comments.

I was picturing a completely empty bus other than the OP so I didn't think it was a huge deal. Obviously, the kids still shouldn't act like that, but it's possible the parents let it slide because they figured if the bus was basically empty the kids weren't really bothering anyone.
That's what I was picturing also.

I agree and I'm also childless. I see a lot of childless people call kids brats or that they're misbehaving when all they're doing is......talking louder than usual and being excited. Obviously wrestling on a public bus is a different circumstance but a kid being a kid is not bad behavior.
Last night in Orlando while waiting for our flight back home (Orlando was a connection point for us) there were 2 kids probably about 5-6 years old running a short enough distance back and forth. I was like "this is great they'll burn energy before getting on the plane :p " They weren't running where people were sitting because their family was on the outer aisle, they weren't in the way nor being extremely loud. Worked for me :)

On the other hand on our flight from our home to Orlando last Friday (also used as a connection point but stayed overnight in FL) the rowdy loud ones were from the adults probably some who had pre-gamed (at least two women were headed to a cruise where one of them was going to come home with secrets whatever that means lol) and the kids that were on the flight were all quite subdued. In fairness most of the plane was Chiefs peeps sooo a bit of excitement for the game was there but yeah.

Wouldn't the bus driver say something? Maybe he didn't see it, I don't know, but I would expect the driver to say something. Especially for safety reasons. And, if the bus is too crowded and not enough seats for everyone, I've been on the bus when a driver would make announcements to help with seating as much as possible and that would definitely include "no wrestling on the bus, take a seat...." Went out to lunch with husband, not a fancy restaurant. There was a large table, maybe 15-17 people, 4 of them kids. The kids were climbing up on the windows, playing with the window treatments, running around and you know what the parents were doing? Taking pictures of them doing it. I have always been very big on manners and respect. My daughter will give up her seat on a bus, hold a door open for an elderly person using a cane or wheelchair and says Thank you for your service to men/women on Veteran's Day in their uniforms. Children learn what they live.

Last night in Orlando while waiting for our flight back home (Orlando was a connection point for us) there were 2 kids probably about 5-6 years old running a short enough distance back and forth. I was like "this is great they'll burn energy before getting on the plane :p " They weren't running where people were sitting because their family was on the outer aisle, they weren't in the way nor being extremely loud. Worked for me :)

On the other hand on our flight from our home to Orlando last Friday (also used as a connection point but stayed overnight in FL) the rowdy loud ones were from the adults probably some who had pre-gamed (at least two women were headed to a cruise where one of them was going to come home with secrets whatever that means lol) and the kids that were on the flight were all quite subdued. In fairness most of the plane was Chiefs peeps sooo a bit of excitement for the game was there but yeah.
I've been on flights with really badly behaved kids (screaming, running up and down the aisles, kicking the seats in front of them, climbing all over seats, etc.) so I'm totally cool with kids getting that energy out before the flight. I would rather have kids running in an open space like an airline terminal than an enclosed space like the actual plane.

Oh yeah, I find that in public spaces like planes or theme parks, the adults are way worse lol I was at Epcot on Tuesday and saw a few adults that obviously had too much to drink.

I would have stopped that with my kid because it isn't safe, and no one wants a head injury, least of all on vacation. I ain't paying thousands of dollars for a vacation that ends up tripling that at the ER. :D

But I always find the irritation over kid behavior interesting. Often, it's from people without kids (I know because I used to be one and I was judgmental AF... and then I had a kid at age 45, and let me tell you this for free, I take every word of it back) and I get that people choose not to have kids, and that's cool, but somebody has to have kids because, as of yet, we don't have an army of robots ready to change people's Depends at Shady Pines when they get there.

Rowdy and overstimulated kids at an amusement park?! 🤯 Stop the presses!

I've been on flights with really badly behaved kids (screaming, running up and down the aisles, kicking the seats in front of them, climbing all over seats, etc.) so I'm totally cool with kids getting that energy out before the flight. I would rather have kids running in an open space like an airline terminal than an enclosed space like the actual plane.

Oh yeah, I find that in public spaces like planes or theme parks, the adults are way worse lol I was at Epcot on Tuesday and saw a few adults that obviously had too much to drink.
Just waiting for that. Someone always has to bring up that adults can misbehave as well, like it’s a way to excuse children. Children need to be taught how to act properly when in public. Maybe there would be better behaviour in some adults.

Just waiting for that. Someone always has to bring up that adults can misbehave as well, like it’s a way to excuse children. Children need to be taught how to act properly when in public. Maybe there would be better behaviour in some adults.
Not excusing it. I literally said in my first post that the behavior wasn't okay.

The reason I brought it up in my post is because it's often that people assume by nature children and only children will be the disruption.

In regards to transit I was thinking of alternatives here. The alternative in the case of the flight last night could be a lot of ruckus from maxed out on energy kids OR they could expend a tad bit of that energy before getting on that flight. They were not being disruptive in a gate area with one else really around by our flight. For the OP's gripe they are viewing it through the lens of black/white whether it truly disrupted anyone or not doesn't matter to them. For me it generally does matter with respects to whether or not I choose to get upset about something.

Okay, I thought I'd lighten it up a bit with a true story:)

We owned a resort with a nice lodge. We had one family that we dreaded seeing come in the door because their 4 or 5 y/o son would throw a fit every visit. If he didn't get his way, it was screaming and crying.

One morning, the Mom came into the lodge with him and I thought, Oh no, here we go.
Well, he proceeded to lay on the floor and kick and scream and cry for all he was worth.
His Mom got down on the floor beside him and proceeded to kick, scream too.
He stopped right away, looked over at his Mom with a surprised and disgusted look, and got up and went and played with the toys. He never had a tantrum again in the lodge!!!
It was apparently no fun to him if his Mom did the same thing.
I thought it was a brilliant move on her part.

For those that want to judge others, please go to the Tom Brady thread. It’s ok to judge him. Just can’t judge bad parenting.
Well yes, because he's a cheating cheater who cheats :rotfl2:I thought this was a universally accepted truth.
Or from those who haven't raised anyone.
Ah yes. It's easy to be a perfect parent when you don't have kids. I too, was an amazing parent before I actually was one. Then I had kids, and I'm probably a fairly good parent, but I'm going to guess that if some of these people saw my parenting in action I'd be lumped in with "those parents who don't watch their children".

even have a picture of him sitting on the ground crying w/the castle in the background. No one was disturbed. And it was a lot easier than trying to carry him out when he's trying to put up a fuss.
Been there, done that. Not at Disney, but plenty of other places. There have been a few times where I carried my oldest out of a restaraunt because he was throwing a fit. But lots of times where he has been throwing a fit, on the floor crying, in public and I let him. And guess what? He learned that throwing a fit does not get him his way, or the attention that he is looking for. I'm sure there were a few judgy judy's starting at me thinking "I can't believe she's just ignoring him! What a horrible mom. My kids would never!" But most parents were giving me the "that sucks and I'm glad it's not mine, and do what you gotta do" vibes. I'd much rather deal with that a few times and have the lesson learned than to placate my child everytime something doesn't go their way and encouraging bad behavior.

Well yes, because he's a cheating cheater who cheats :rotfl2:I thought this was a universally accepted truth.

Ah yes. It's easy to be a perfect parent when you don't have kids. I too, was an amazing parent before I actually was one. Then I had kids, and I'm probably a fairly good parent, but I'm going to guess that if some of these people saw my parenting in action I'd be lumped in with "those parents who don't watch their children".

Been there, done that. Not at Disney, but plenty of other places. There have been a few times where I carried my oldest out of a restaraunt because he was throwing a fit. But lots of times where he has been throwing a fit, on the floor crying, in public and I let him. And guess what? He learned that throwing a fit does not get him his way, or the attention that he is looking for. I'm sure there were a few judgy judy's starting at me thinking "I can't believe she's just ignoring him! What a horrible mom. My kids would never!" But most parents were giving me the "that sucks and I'm glad it's not mine, and do what you gotta do" vibes. I'd much rather deal with that a few times and have the lesson learned than to placate my child everytime something doesn't go their way and encouraging bad behavior.
When my kids were little, if they decided to pitch a fit when out because they wanted to leave somewhere, I was not going to give in. Heck, after the effort of getting out of the house with 5 kids, I was not going to just toss in the towel, especially if we needed groceries.

When my kids were little, if they decided to pitch a fit when out because they wanted to leave somewhere, I was not going to give in. Heck, after the effort of getting out of the house with 5 kids, I was not going to just toss in the towel, especially if we needed groceries.
Exactly. Mommas got stuff to do and a fit isn't gonna stop it. Will it embarass me? maybe. Do I care? nope

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter