sure wish parents would watch their kids

The main reason why today's children are acting with behavior problems now is simply because the parents do not watch and control their kids behavior when they are in public places. Take for example when I would go to Walmart I would see kids crying uncontrollably all the time all because they want either a candy bar or a toy and while the parents are busy shopping in an aisle they don't notice that the kid is noisy and crying and just ignore them. When I was little I never cried in public or caused bad behavior and if my mother saw me noisy she would just tell me to be quiet. But when I go to the mall I always see parents with kids and the parents say things like "Jeremy use your library voice" or "Jake please don't stomp your feet" and you tell little Jake and Jeremy to follow the rules and they failed you would leave the mall until they behaved because there's nothing worse when you're shopping and the kids are horsing around the clothing racks. When my cousin was about five or six he was shopping at Big Lots with my aunt and mom when suddenly my cousin turned into King Kong and hit his head on a clothing rack and my aunt and my mom saw the whole thing and they ended up leaving the store because my cousin was crying so much. But that incident scared my aunt so much that she had to monitor my cousin's behavior. But I think today's kids need to be watched by parents because if they are not watching an accident really can happen
Dodger

The main reason why today's children are acting with behavior problems now is simply because the parents do not watch and control their kids behavior when they are in public places. Take for example when I would go to Walmart I would see kids crying uncontrollably all the time all because they want either a candy bar or a toy and while the parents are busy shopping in an aisle they don't notice that the kid is noisy and crying and just ignore them. When I was little I never cried in public or caused bad behavior and if my mother saw me noisy she would just tell me to be quiet. But when I go to the mall I always see parents with kids and the parents say things like "Jeremy use your library voice" or "Jake please don't stomp your feet" and you tell little Jake and Jeremy to follow the rules and they failed you would leave the mall until they behaved because there's nothing worse when you're shopping and the kids are horsing around the clothing racks. When my cousin was about five or six he was shopping at Big Lots with my aunt and mom when suddenly my cousin turned into King Kong and hit his head on a clothing rack and my aunt and my mom saw the whole thing and they ended up leaving the store because my cousin was crying so much. But that incident scared my aunt so much that she had to monitor my cousin's behavior. But I think today's kids need to be watched by parents because if they are not watching an accident really can happen
Dodger
Again, generalizations.

Dodger
I remember when DS was two, we were at MK. It was time to go. He didn't want to go. So he threw himself on the ground and started crying. Bawling actually. There was no one around us. I mean seriously, the closest person was probably 15-20 yards away. So you know what we did? We let him cry. We (myself, DW, my parents, and DD) sat on a nearby bench and just let him cry.

I even have a picture of him sitting on the ground crying w/the castle in the background. No one was disturbed. And it was a lot easier than trying to carry him out when he's trying to put up a fuss.

Call me a bad parent then. BTW, he's now a college Freshman, starting to make his way in the world and getting compliments from adults on his leadership ability.

Do you prefer pots and kettles or glass houses?
Hey! Stop judging me for judging :flower1:

All kidding aside, everyone here has said judgmental things about other situations on these boards MULTIPLE times.

It's odd when it comes to parents sitting back, laughing, and watching their children misbehave on a bus, all of a sudden it's taboo to comment on it.

Imagine if kids were wrestling on a school bus? They would get detention. But at Disney it's ok? Because it's an amusement park?

It seems the problem is with the OP's background. I am not familiar with the OP's past. But is that the issue here?

Hey! Stop judging me for judging :flower1:

All kidding aside, everyone here has said judgmental things about other situations on these boards MULTIPLE times.

It's odd when it comes to parents sitting back, laughing, and watching their children misbehave on a bus, all of a sudden it's taboo to comment on it.

Imagine if kids were wrestling on a school bus? They would get detention. But at Disney it's ok? Because it's an amusement park?

It seems the problem is with the OP's background. I am not familiar with the OP's past. But is that the issue here?
No but it adds a layer of interest.

Might be time to check your lawn.

Free range parenting. 🙄
Again, that's not what free-range parenting is.

Free-range parenting is about teaching your child skills and giving them responsibilities so they can become independent adults. The entire point is that your child can be trusted to make good decisions and act appropriately when unsupervised.

In this scenario, free-range parenting would mean that the parents had worked hard to teach their kids how to behave appropriately on a bus, then let the kids ride the bus by themselves (because they could trust them with 100% confidence to NOT act like the OP describes.)

My granddaughter is 4 and my grandson is 5. They will be going to WDW for the 1st time this May. I will tell my son to rent a car. ;)
Your son will have avoided being judged on parenting from a Disney bus.

Now he will really be judged when he gets on the boat or monorail from TTC! j/k :)

While I agree that the behavior OP witnessed may have warranted some parental involvement, I think it's the title that may be causing some folks to bristle a bit. It's a blanket statement, "Sure Wish Parents Would Watch Their Kids" vs "Some Parents" might be misconstrued as all parents don't parent their children in any public places, ever.

I agree. Every generation has had judgmental elders saying that the world is going to heck in a hand basket. I go to Disney yearly. This year twice. Did I see some inappropriate behavior? Yup. Did I see some well behaved kids? Yup. But you know what I see overall? Young people and children who are being open minded and kind. If that is ”loose morals”, well…I can’t help ya.
Agreed, and the judgment about "parents today" often comes from those who raised those parents.

Oh yeah. I’ve seen parents like that before. Totally clueless! They were probably both raised by parents who didn’t pay any attention to them either. Manners and morals don’t even exist anymore for a big part of the younger generation. That’s a big part of what’s wrong with our country.
So you're saying the older generation that raised these parents also didn't have manners and morals, then. Not sure why only the younger generation is getting called out.

I'm with you Dznypal.

The proudest moment of my life was when the "older couple" sitting in the next booth stopped at ours to comment on what a pleasure it was to be seated behind our so well manored 3 and 6 year old. They didn't do anything special, just sat and ate dinner like they were suppose to. I had to reach up to pull my heart back in though after that couple stopped by.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter