Sure Glad We Got to Use FastPass Instead of FP+

I guess we just have to trust that they have something nifty up their sleeves. I can't imagine them going to all of this trouble, to infuriate gobs of people.

Tiering for resort guests could likewise infuriate gobs of people :)

Tiering for resort guests could likewise infuriate gobs of people :)

Oh, I'm sure it would!

I was wondering though, if they gave everyone the same three, but allowed more on a tiered level, it wouldn't be the best thing ever for a lot of people, but it would be better than just getting three, period.

Again, I'm just thinking out loud. The last time I was at the parks, FP return times were not even being enforced, so when I go back next March, it's going to be a big change for us.

How long until they settle things and roll the final version out? This year? Next?

I'm curious how it will work as well... the ability to get an additional FP at the parks seems to be a must for patrons. At the MK I could see us booking Peter Pan, Big Thunder Mountain, and Space Mountain. So we'd need to be able to get more at the park for the other attractions or even more for those initial three for later in the day.

And I agree most with the concern voiced earlier about turning this into something like the ADR process where you have to jump online weeks/months before your visit and schedule your attractions on a daily basis. Could be a nightmare as well as greatly affecting how you handle your park visits.

Like for our visit in November I have dinner res at EPCOT two nights. One of those days we'll just go over before the res time and eat then walk around a bit. The second one we'll spend the day there. But what if in trying to book the FP+ the good rides are spoken for on either of those days? Trying to match them up in advance with dinner res could be a problem.

Now each ride can handle hundreds every hour so scheduling a ride shouldn't be as hard as an ADR but I still somewhat cringe at the prospect of booking a ride months in advance.

What I'd hope is that for every resort guest you get 3 reservations no matter what, i.e. they don't "sell out". So as long as you're a resort guest you will be guaranteed 3 rides - your choice - every day. So that the only hassle might be the time of your ride vs. the ability of your ride.

That said... you still need to be able to get extras at the park for the other rides.

I don't know what FP+ will end up being when it is fully implemented, none of us do, and I'm not 100% convinced that even Disney knows exactly yet, I think that is part of why there is so much testing, and so little information being given, because they are still gathering information, and working out details.

I do know this, fast pass or not, every ride in every park has a certain capacity. It can handle x number of people per hour. Regardless of Fast Pass, Fast Pass + or any other scheme, at the end of the day, the ride will have had the exact same number of riders on it.

What does this mean for you and I, well in my way of thinking, it means one way or another, we will get the same number of rides in more or less with FP, or FP+ or what ever they finally decide to use.

Either there will be less total fast passes handed out, and more people in the standby line, but the standby line will move faster, or they will adjust how many fast passes each person can have until they are using the same number as they currently are, and everything will be like it is now more or less, or they will give out more fp's under the new system, standby will be a longer line, but fewer people will be in it because more will be using the FP line.

In the end, same number of people are going to get on the ride every day, I just don't think this is going to be an earth shattering change.

I don't know what FP+ will end up being when it is fully implemented, none of us do, and I'm not 100% convinced that even Disney knows exactly yet, I think that is part of why there is so much testing, and so little information being given, because they are still gathering information, and working out details.

I do know this, fast pass or not, every ride in every park has a certain capacity. It can handle x number of people per hour. Regardless of Fast Pass, Fast Pass + or any other scheme, at the end of the day, the ride will have had the exact same number of riders on it.

What does this mean for you and I, well in my way of thinking, it means one way or another, we will get the same number of rides in more or less with FP, or FP+ or what ever they finally decide to use.

Either there will be less total fast passes handed out, and more people in the standby line, but the standby line will move faster, or they will adjust how many fast passes each person can have until they are using the same number as they currently are, and everything will be like it is now more or less, or they will give out more fp's under the new system, standby will be a longer line, but fewer people will be in it because more will be using the FP line.

In the end, same number of people are going to get on the ride every day, I just don't think this is going to be an earth shattering change.

Well said

But, as I've argued before, positive (or negative) feedback in a test where they aren't restricting it as they would in the real world becomes invalid.

Given that this test is going to be with MagicBands, which currently don't work with regular FP kiosks, the options I can think of are:

(presumption - if same-day FP+ is available, same restrictions still apply - no duplicates, not within X minutes of each other)

- They only get a MagicBand. They can only use the new system. If they get additional FP+, this is a good (not great) indicator that such would be available to all, subject to availability. If they don't, this is almost certainly an indication that that is it.

- They get a MagicBand AND a regular ticket or Recovery Fastpass card. They can get FPs as normal, independent of FP+, without restrictions on duplicates, etc. This may indicate that they intend for same day FP+ but don't have the mechanism in place for it yet. But it could also indicate that are not yet ready for the negative feedback.

- They get a MagicBand AND a regular ticket or Recovery Fastpass card, but they are tied together in such a way that restrictions around the FP+ selections apply. This is a GREAT indication that they intend for same-day FP+, but they don't have the mechanism in place for it yet. However, I think the odds of this are pretty low given how much trouble Disney seems to be having making any of this link together :)

In any case, I think the upcoming test will give us a better idea - perhaps only slightly - of what is to come.

Well, that didn't take long...according to WDW Magic:

Beginning on June 20 and running through until June 26, the test will for the first time allow guests taking part to use all the capabilities of MyMagic+ including 'Touch-to-enter,' 'Touch-to-pay,' FASTPASS+, and use both the RFID Key to the World Card and the MagicBand.
During the test, guests will also be able to take part in the regular paper-based FASTPASS, and the standby lines.

So the questions remain...

So how long after the test before Tom Staggs shows up in a video clip reminding everyone how wonderful the new system is and how well it's being received?

Details, schmetails.

I emailed Disney yesterday asking if they could explain the FP+ system and if it might be in place by the time of our trip. The reply back was that they look forward to sharing exciting news about FP+ at a later date before it takes effect "this year".

My guess is it will be in place by our November visit. They wouldn't want to try something new during December I'm sure.

I emailed Disney yesterday asking if they could explain the FP+ system and if it might be in place by the time of our trip. The reply back was that they look forward to sharing exciting news about FP+ at a later date before it takes effect "this year".

My guess is it will be in place by our November visit. They wouldn't want to try something new during December I'm sure.

They certainly seem to want to get it out by the end of the year and that's what they keep saying ("sometime this year"), but they've got a lot of issues to work out as well.

I'm certain they'd prefer it out sooner, but I don't expect anything much in terms of a rollout until at least the fall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter