Super Inconvenient, Barely Entertaining! Sept 27-Oct 5th Completed

angelmav

DIS Veteran
A little shout out to Ryan George in my title, unfortunately not in the manner I was hoping to use his catch phrase! We just got back from our 8 night, 9 day trip to WDW...and it was not what I expected, or hoped for, or even thought worse case would happen. It was demoralizing. It was disappointing. It was too darn hot. I made wrong assumptions about my family and had to change sooooo many things on the fly, all without showing a hint of regret, because at the end of the day...somehow we wound up enjoying ourselves. As if that surprising revelation was not enough, there is even more shocking news, and that is that my family is already talking about a return trip! o_O So how did we go from the brink of disaster, weather the disappointments and somehow come away with the notion that we want to do it again? Read on, and it will all be revealed!

First of all, I need to introduce you to the cast of characters and dispel some confusion. Let me introduce myself first. I am the Disney Nut. This was my 4th trip to the world and it was my idea to make this happen in the first place.

And yes, I am a man. No, this is not a recent development, I was born this way.

What, but, your board name??? Yes, it is confusing. When I signed up on this forum years and years and years ago, I had the idea that it would be a shared account with my ex-wife. She liked angels, and I was restoring a Ford Maverick. Hence, Angelmav was born. Well, she never really posted. I think she ran a photo share one time, but that was about it. So I was left with this gender confusing board name. Usually I avoid calling attention to this, but for the sake of this report, you won't have any idea who I am talking about if I don't clear that up. Also, despite seeing another Dis'er at Animal Kingdom, I was too embarrassed to say hello for that reason. So VA Tink, that sweaty guy that had the air of recognition on his face sitting on a concrete wall, yeah, that was me. So...Hello, hope your Mom's foot is feeling better!

Next we have my DW. She did not want to come on this trip. She does not really like Disney. I dragged her to Paris Disney once while we were dating and she was not impressed. How could she not love WDW though? Or so I thought... But despite her telling me to cancel the trip (after buying non refundable tickets and airfare) and telling me she didn't want to go the day we were to leave, she did, in fact, come on the trip.

443025 (No were not buying that cat and that Apron are we?)

Then we have my DD, Lil Mav. She was the justification I needed for this trip, and was super excited we were going!

We spent 8 nights at Shades of Green and I had so many surprises and fun things planned. So...how much of that would be left in the ashes and just what went wrong? How was it all saved? Well I am not giving all that away in the first post! You already got a surprise gender reveal, you will have to read on if you want to know all the twists and turns, and frankly, I am still trying to wrap my head around it!

Thank you all for following.

So, I had been thinking about this trip since late 2017. It started as a little tickle, I bought a planning book for WDW with young children and started to kick around the idea. My daughter had never been on any kind of ride that didn't require a quarter, and was big on Mickey Mouse, Lady and the Tramp and several other Disney characters. So the germination of the idea began to take hold then.

Now, a little background about me, I am retired U.S. Army, but work as an Army civilian at Ft. Lewis, WA. I met my wife and we had our daughter while I was working in Germany. We came to the states the beginning of 2015, and my wife had never been here prior to that. Frankly, the U.S. scares her a little bit, and one of her concerns about a trip to someplace like WDW was the security. The added security at Shades of Green actually became one of my selling points, although I have to say, she was impressed with the security at WDW. We even noticed they had the dogs out checking the trash cans at Disney Springs. It kind of set in that with the bag checks, and security measures they have in place, that they do place a high priority on guest safety.

I had put together a couple of different vacation plans, only to scuttle them. My goal is to go back overseas. A couple of different times it almost happened, but so far, we are still here. So in early March, I announce I want us to go to WDW. This was met with shock, and not exactly a strong endorsement. My daughter was becoming well aware of what WDW was, given all the commercials, and now seemed like the time. So I made this proclamation, and started planning. Then I was told at various times that, no, we were not going to have a trip to WDW and that, no, I needed to tell our daughter we were not going, only to have her swing back the other way that maaaaaybe it wasn't a bad idea. So I set about building our trip itinerary, making ADR's and then disaster struck. The house that we loved and adored was going to be sold. We considered buying it, but my career goals still involve us going overseas, and I am waiting on a position to open up (fingers crossed) that would be a perfect fit and get us closer to my DW home. What to do, what to do. We decided to take another rental and move. This meant we had to be out of the house in just a few days. So on July 1, we relocated so that I could keep my options open. This also meant added expense. We were also under 90 days from the trip at this point, and had just taken on all this expense. But a few things worked in our favor, I got enough of a bonus to cover our airfare (as long as I booked the non refundable cheap red eye flight out, and was willing to go through Miami) and I got back our deposits (we left the house in GREAT shape and it sold instantly). The new place cost less and we had a couple of months to recoup the benefits of that. So with that in mind, I bought our park tickets (thank you Disney for offering the Salute deal) and had our airfare booked. It was all starting to come together. Except, my DW still didn't want to go.

She hemmed. She hawed. She hemmed and hawed. At this point, I made it known I was going regardless. It was over my Birthday, the airfare and park tickets were paid for and non refundable, so at a minimum, I was going to use them. I made alternate plans if it was just me. I was sad though. It was hard to imagine a solo trip. I had put a ton of thought into the trip, and it kept me going during difficult times at work (there's lots of reasons besides career advancement that I want to go back overseas, lol). So I continued to make our plan, not really thinking it would get executed. I booked a culinary event (my DW was a chef in Germany and is usually interested in learning new techniques/ideas) I booked the Festival of the Lion King VIP package, I booked numerous days of massage on the trip for her, I booked a grocery delivery because my DW struggles with Dairy, Gluten and Eggs so she could have some healthy fall backs. (Dizzy Dolphin rocks btw, I highly recommend them!) I booked signature restaurants and things that seemed safe, I had a plan, I had an itinerary, I had laminated sheets of each days activities.

443273Dude...Over plan much?

So as the day neared, the Magic Bands in tow, the trip shopping done, all that was left was to get through the single busiest day of my year and wrap things up at work. Then the message. I don't want to go. Ummm what? I don't want to go. Ummm, I am leaving work and dropping the kitty at the boarding I have booked in an hour...what do you mean? I don't want to go to Florida and meet Florida man and woman....Ok, not sure what internet site you are browsing, but they probably won't have tickets. If you hate it, you can stay and enjoy the resort. That seemed to placate her and I was off to drop off Apollo, who the staff nicknamed Mr. Friendly. Apparently he worked them over and probably got extra treats, because he has been trying it with us since we have been back

443268 Mr. friendly. I'm a good boy and I enjoy treats!

So I mentioned I had tweaked our travel to keep the budget in line. That meant I dropped a day off our trip, we'd leave on Saturday afternoon instead of Sunday morning and fly out Thursday night instead of Friday Morning. It also meant layovers in Miami both directions instead of flying direct. This seemed like a solid compromise, I figured the plane would be empty on the way out (it was not, they were all full). I also thought that meant we could have a relaxing day on arrival...Yeah...

So as the plan started in motion, our first stop was at Din Thai Fung, which is our favorite restaurant here. It is also conveniently in SeaTac near the airport.

443269 Look at those ribs...drool...

Eating there was another little nugget to keep my DW spirits up. We love this place. So we had an enjoyable meal and were ready for our 830pm flight to Miami. I had this idea that we might sleep on that flight. It was a bad idea. I wont get that idea again. Also, because I booked basic economy, we were in the back of the plane very near the lavatory. This did not earn me any points with my agitated DW, especially since we were basically in the same seats on all four flights...

We drug ourselves off the the plane in Miami for our 3 1/2 hour morning layover. This part I didn't think through very well. Given my DW problem with Gluten, Eggs and Dairy, but needing breakfast, there were almost no options. I had read about a cuban restaurant that seemed to have a few safe options I could put together a meal, so that was my plan.

443271 I had to take a picture of the menu to have any clue what to order.

This was difficult. The things I thought she could eat...they were largely out of. There was also a language barrier. Every time I asked for something, they would take something else off. It was not a success. We headed to our gate and I hunted the airport for something else for her. Eventually I messaged her asking if she would eat an Empanada. She said sure. I grabbed two. Well, after her first or second bite, grease dripped down, staining her leather shoes...So those went in the garbage and we boarded our flight.

It is a really fast flight at least, and now we were in Orlando, where at least we had more options once we made it to the resort. I had an early lunch at Kona booked, primarily so she and my daughter could enjoy some sushi (read my award winning dining report for more information on that).

We had a heck of a time figuring out where to go to get to our luggage, and by the time we figured it out, we were pretty much the last ones from our plane to get there. I had booked a car service through Sunstate...They were supposed to be meeting us there, or so I thought. But here we were, tired, hungry, and apparently without a ride. No messages, and no emails. My wife for the first time realizes we are not renting a car and is wondering just what the heck I have done. At that moment I get a message from our driver Samri, and we have about a 30 minute wait. Well, at least we are here, and I figure the room wasn't going to be ready that early anyway, so no harm no foul.

We make it out to the van (so much for that 'luxury town car' I booked) and she is a careful driver. Though I did find it a bit odd she played a christian music station without asking if we minded. We didn't mind, I just find it odd a car service would make that assumption as it seems it could end up awkwardly.

Then we pulled up to Shades of Green, where we step out into 94 degree heat and see a giant blue tarp and construction at the front of the building. Welcome to your resort...My DW was giving me daggers at this point...Let the fun begin!

Last edited:
This is hilarious to me.
Who are the Florida man and woman?
Looking forward to the rest of your trip!

Apparently, that is a thing: Florida Man is an Internet meme, popularized in 2013, in which the phrase “Florida Man” is taken from multiple unrelated news articles describing various actual people who hail from or live in Florida.

It turns out that Florida is also full of trashy women, who do various crazy things as well, thus the term being applied there as well. I didn't realize this had become such a thing, but a quick google search turned up a bunch of stuff I probably can't post here. Lucky for me, my DW did learn of that before the trip and was rightly mortified. We encountered a few rude people, but nobody of internet fame.

It turns out, I didn't mis-read everything about my family for this trip. Originally I had a hard to get 8pm Reservation at Cali-Grill booked for this evening, but despite really wanting to go, figured we would be too wiped out to enjoy it, even if we did drag ourselves over there. So, begrudgingly, I had let that one go, with the intent to relax at the resort and have dinner at Mangino's. I figured we wouldn't be at the resort all that much this trip anyway, so it was a chance to soak it up at least once. Well, I was wrong about that, and for all those people that only 'sleep' at a Disney resort, my DW and DD are not those kind of people.

It was still pretty early in the day when we made it into the resort. I was expecting to have to check our bags with Bell Services while we had lunch, but our room was ready early. I couldn't get both of our key cards to work though, and after multiple trips back and forth, eventually put that on hold so we could go have lunch at Kona Cafe. (See my award winning dining Report to see how that went). My plan was to take the Shady Shuttle (A golf cart thing) to the Poly so we wouldn't have to walk. Well, Bell services was slammed and said it would be a minimum of 30 minutes. My DW and DD wanted to eat NOW and you can see the Poly from the resort, so how bad could the walk be? I asked if they wanted to change, given they were in Pacific Northwest attire that included pants and long sleeves and I was looked at like I was crazy. We get about halfway, they are baking, and turning an unhealthy pink color. My DW despite coming from a hot climate does not do well with heat. She just starts to get extremely warm, she doesn't really sweat, and 85 is probably her hottest heat tolerance. I thought late Sept/Early Oct we would get those kind of temps. I was wrong. It did cool down to 83...the day after we left. So we stop to look at a bird and mention that you shouldn't get too close to the water. I'm getting hate stares from my DW aren't I? She may have mentioned murdering me at some point along the way.

444288 Yeah....wildlife is neat...

So we get across the street and the ironic sign that says it is state law to stop for pedestrians crossing because we were nearly run over three different times...As we approach the Poly, I can't figure out how to actually get inside from that part of the resort. I am frankly in danger for my life at this point, when I spot a sign. That sign probably saved my life. We double time it into the building and make our way upstairs to our lunch reservation, where I drank probably 5 glasses of iced tea.

After lunch, my DW asks me in a somewhat terrified voice if we have to walk back to the resort. Now, I am actually prepared for this (even though my original plan was, to in fact, walk back). I have never used a ride share service in my life, but had downloaded both Lyft and Uber apps a few months prior thinking they might come in handy at some point on this trip. Lyft had been sending me a coupon for 25% off my first 10 rides for a few months, and so that was the winner. I told my DW that no, I would arrange a ride (why didn't I do that on the way to the Poly?)

444295 You know, the Lyft App would have worked for both directions...

But because I was suspicious of said app having any of my information, I hadn't linked a form of payment to my account. Well, looks Like I better do that now, So I grab a seat in the closed area near the gift shop (I am guessing it opens in the evening) and proceed to link payment to the App and hope that I am not setting myself up for fraudulent charges, because, again, never used this sort of thing before. I then select a ride back to the resort. Our ride would be there in less than 5 min and cost less than $5. WOW...ok, that is pretty convenient. I rush into the gift shop where my DW is buying a Hei Hei T-shirt (how did you find it so fast?) I inform her our ride back would be outside...well, now it turns out. We pay and make it out of the resort in time to get a ride basically back across the street. But in the Air Conditioned comforts of a Toyota Prius.

So we made it back to the resort and back inside, and thankfully, whatever construction project that tarp represented was not being carried over inside. So at this point, I arranged for Bell Services to deliver our Grocery Delivery from Dizzy Dolphin, and made three seperate trips to reception to get a second working room key card that I am not sure we even used. I have to say, Dizzy Dolphin were excellent at locating all the myriad of things I had ordered, and it was all top notch quality. They even included a little thank you package. So after tipping the Bell services guy, we go about putting things away. Wait...Didn't I order XYZ...My sleep deprived brain was starting to struggle at this point. I go through the bags and find a delivery order, and, yes, we were in fact missing a bag. So I head through the maze that is the inside of Shades of Green out to Bell Services, and a guy pops up from behind something with my missing bag of groceries. I'lltakethatthankyouverymuch and back to the room, with all our essentials. I think I just walked this route about 10 times at that point for various things, Bell Services, Key Card, ATM, and once to go get a bus schedule. Oh yea, that reminds me, I didn't even bother with the ATM's at Shades of Green because they all had a $200 limit. WTH?...

One of the nice things I had arranged for was for my DW to have multiple massage appointments at the Salon (Magnolia Spa) at Shades of Green. I knew next to nothing about this, and, frankly, was just hoping it would be acceptable. My DW has all sorts of muscle pain, and I figured that would have been exacerbated by the flight. I was right about that as she was in knots by the time we arrived. It was also incredibly difficult to find. This was appointment 1 of 5, and we had to stop several people along the way to ask for directions. Some of whom spoke no English and looked a little frightened that we were trying to talk with them. Eventually after turning left at the PX, walking down the long corridor, turning right, left, right, left, right and going down the elevator, we found it. Now, my DW can't go to the store 2 blocks from home without a GPS, I figured there was no possible way she was going to find this on her own.

Originally I thought me and my DD would go out to the playground while my DW enjoyed her massage, but we were instructed to 'stay put'. So I handed Lil Mav my phone and I may or may not have dozed off with her using up my lives/money and power ups on Simon's cat while I hopefully didn't snore. I might have snored. I woke up after 10-15 minutes or so (ok, maybe 20 minutes tops...) to the receptionist staring daggers at me. I checked the time and was hoping for the best with my DW massage.

444247Gee...looks like fun...

I tried getting my phone back from Lil Mav at this point, who then proceeded to make the argument that she should have her own phone, and she wouldn't have to keep borrowing mine and Momma's if she just had her own. I should point out that she is 7. She continued to build her case, and I am wondering just who this pint sized attorney is that is sitting on my lap?

The phone struggle continues, I lose, and can feel myself starting to drift off again, ignoring the pained and frightened look on the receptionists face when to everyone's relief my DW shows back up. I should mention that this is probably the first time in 24 hours she isn't glaring at me with a look of hate. The receptionist is happy to see us go.

We go outside to check out the playground, yep, still blisteringly hot, and to everyone's delight, we spot several miniature dinosaurs which may or may not in fact be salamanders. I notice for the first time that my DW and DD are enjoying themselves. Great, we go across the country and everyone is delighted by the Salamanders. We make a quick stop at the playground, it is pretty well done actually, note how cool the pool looks, then tell my DD that we will in fact be back (yeah right i'm thinking), and retreat back into the blessed A/C all while I look over my shoulder at that pool.

Now, I love to swim. I also love a good water slide. My DW hates public pools, and we can't even get my DD to take a bath, so I figure it will be up to me to strategize when I will make my getaway's to enjoy some pool time. That slide has my name on it.

444259 How many runs will I make it down this trip?

One of the things I had mentioned to my DW and DD was that Shades of Green has a PX. Well, they took this to mean an actual PX like we have back on the base. A quick stop in here to look at the glorified gift shop and they were not impressed. The entire way back and into the room I am hearing about this so called PX. Though that didn't stop them from getting coffee and Ice Cream from Java on the way, while continuing to give me the business about the...PX. I am not really sure why they thought a full sized PX would be in the resort to begin with, but it would redeem itself as the trip went on.

So we make it back to the room with ice cream in tow. Now, at this point of the day, things were starting to become a blur. Those two finish up their treats and it looks like they may lie down, yes, yes, just as I figured would be the case! I decided to have a shower, getting ready to sneak errr head out to the pool for a bit, and may or may not have put on my swimming attire. I was slightly shocked to re-emerge to the two of them bouncing around the room. Just what was in that Ice Cream anyway? Realizing my pool run would have to be put on hold, I'm asked what our dinner plans are. I laid down purposely on one of those decorative pillows that are pretty much useless to discuss the rest of the day and our upcoming itinerary and promptly fall asleep. Not just a light doze either. Full on passed out sleep.

It turns out Lil' Mav also picked that moment to want a nap, and snuggled up next to me. My DW captured the moment for all posterity. I woke up several hours later and it was dark. My DW was asleep, and I wasn't sure what to do. The restaurant would be closing soon, we hadn't had dinner, and so I went and sat on the couch, where I once again, fell asleep. Oh well, I had wanted to try Mangino's, but didn't really see how we would be going there now. The next day was a biggee, as we had a full schedule at Animal Kingdom and a Breakfast at Tusker House, so this wasn't a terrible development, but, boy were they going to be hungry! Little did I know that during the various points I was passed out, they had busted into my Donut King Delivery, made sandwiches, and for all I know, threw a party. Turns out the only one that didn't eat was me, and somehow the worry about pulling everything together for the day, the stress over our travel, worry about the heat, trying to pull everything together on top of a hectic work week and travel had completely exhausted me. I did at some point, relocate back to the bed, and when the morning rolled around, we all realized we had slept for something crazy like 16 hours. Feeling refreshed, it was time to get ready for probably the most important day I had planned, Animal Kingdom, where I had two meals planned, a Festival of the Lion King package with Dinner booked at Tiffins and a character Breakfast. Ok Disney time to shine! Lets go have Breakfast at Tusker House and have some fun!

Reading both of your reports for the entertainment value and honest reporting. I would be so disappointed if DH had to be dragged to WDW. It was a little tough the first time but now he is willing to go every 3-5 years depending on what is new both attraction and restaurant wise.

Following and would love to hear your take on the room and resort! We’re staying at SoG next year and it just seems so mysterious to me.

Lyft is great but totally get the apprehension. And sometimes-ya just need to sleep. I think you should pat yourself on the back for the planning for day one because: massage!! Grocery delivery!! Needed Sleep! seriously though-being well rested is sometimes the top priority no matter where you are or what is planned.
Animal Kingdom is my favorite park-looking forward to the rest!

Wow, travel,days are never really the most fun but yours was rather rough lol! Nice on the massage :thumbsup2 Looking forward to reading about your first park day!

Reading both of your reports for the entertainment value and honest reporting. I would be so disappointed if DH had to be dragged to WDW. It was a little tough the first time but now he is willing to go every 3-5 years depending on what is new both attraction and restaurant wise.

I knew in advance that my DW was not going to be an easy sell on WDW. She just doesn't care all that much for theme parks, much prefers nature and/or historic sites. That is one of the reasons I had Animal Kingdom as my day 1 with a follow up with shopping and Epcot for day 2. I really tried to plan the trip to 'sell' her on it as a great family vacation...to mixed results.

Following and would love to hear your take on the room and resort! We’re staying at SoG next year and it just seems so mysterious to me.

SoG is great! It is the second time I have stayed there, but this was the longest. The food options are very solid, the prices can not be beat, the beds were ultra comfy, everything is newly remodeled/upgraded/new. Fantastic size and overall amenities. That said, a couple of drawbacks. No airport transportation, really weak Wi-Fi, and the bussing...is not adequate. Once an hour to Disney Springs, and every 30 min to Hollywood Studios/Animal Kingdom, except they go to both, so it takes awhile. For MK and Epcot they drop you at the TTC. It just has to be planned for. The Spa was fantastic, the pool was fantastic, and the resort itself is very relaxing.

Following! Love your sense of humor.

Thank you!

Lyft is great but totally get the apprehension. And sometimes-ya just need to sleep. I think you should pat yourself on the back for the planning for day one because: massage!! Grocery delivery!! Needed Sleep! seriously though-being well rested is sometimes the top priority no matter where you are or what is planned.
Animal Kingdom is my favorite park-looking forward to the rest!

For me, Epcot will always be #1, but Animal Kingdom is for sure #2! I really had to hold myself back from over planning that travel day. I was sooooooo tempted to do something else, but I just knew we would be exhausted. I was right about that, but it always feels a bit of a waste.

Wow, travel,days are never really the most fun but yours was rather rough lol! Nice on the massage :thumbsup2 Looking forward to reading about your first park day!

It would get rougher....lol

I am enjoying your story! I discovered the joys of ride-sharing (Lyft) on my trip this past summer as well and I don't think my life will ever be the same. Looking forward to future installments! :coffee: :earsboy:

So on to our first official day, Day 1, Animal Kingdom! Now, why did I put this first, and why did I put sooooooo much stock in this park? Well for one, both my DW and DD love animals. Also, I think it is probably the best themed park in all of WDW. So I figured if anything was going to set the tone, it was going to be AK!

Now, I really underestimated their desire to get to the parks at anything approaching a morning hour. It just was not my DW or DD priority. For this day, I had what I thought was a relatively late start with a 0950 Character Breakfast at Tusker House. We just baaaaaaaarely made it for that. I mean, I was pushing them at one point, but it was like herding cats. They really wanted to go at a slow pace, and even though I planned for a relaxed time, I quickly realized this would be an issue. It was also something like 97 degrees on this day, at what many consider WDW's hottest temperature theme park. There is simply no amount of planning that would have made this day easier to take, because it never really cooled off.

We had a pretty middling breakfast (see my DR if you want to know more) and I was already scrambling future plans. After an unplanned stop at Creature Comforts for some drinkable coffee, we had either the option of the Gorilla Trails or Up! Well, my DW has recently become enamored with birds, so I directed our paths thataway. I have heard pretty mixed reviews about the quality of this show, but we enjoyed it.

445322 I don't see the resemblance...?

It was a little hokey and a lotta hot. All I could hope for was that my DW could take it, and that we would get a few respite's along the way. I knew ahead of time that she might need a cool down after this, so we hit a few shops, she found a Lion King mug for her Brother that we sent back to the resort, and then went to see Its Tough to Be a Bug. Now, my DW gets antsy in crowded and tight places. She was getting close to a panic attack when they thankfully let us in the theater. I anticipated that might be a problem there, and it was, but it also had the needed A/C....so a little good and a little bad. After that, I had to stop by Tiffins (the next installment of my DR) to pick up our passes for the Lion King/Safari. I had booked the Tier 1 VIP package hoping to really impress my DW. After that, I was informed they were getting a little hungry, since they hadn't stuffed themselves like I had at Breakfast, so it was back to Creature Comforts for a snack. I must have walked into CC at least 10 times that day for various things, including water refills.

445327 Having a good time anyway.

At this point, we had our first FP at Navi River Journey. It was all I could get. FoP was looooooooooong gone at 60 days. It would have been a fine alternative, had it not broken down, and kept is in there for a solid 40 min. This meant we were going to be late for the FoTLK. I hustled us over there, where we were eventually directed to the correct entrance. At that point, they were about 10 minutes in. They said not to worry, and to hang out. So we did. At this point I spotted VA Tink and her Mom, but was too shy to say hello. After the show that we were supposed to be at ended, a rep came and told us we could come back for the later show and do the Safari Tour first. That was fine with us, but it meant we wouldn't be able to go to Rafikis and do the character drawing class I had planned post safari. Oh well. Scratch that off the list. So we waited a bit and were just getting worn down by the heat.

445326No I don't know why it's sooooooo hot!

It was a pretty decent tour, except I really felt the driver didn't take enough time at various points. Our tour guide who was awesome would be trying to point something out and then, vrooom vroooom, we were off to the next thing where it would once again be repeated. It was a little frustrating, because I have been on the regular Safari Tour where it seemed the pauses were longer. I can't say it felt very VIP as a result.

After this, my DW and DD once again wanted a snack, so we stopped by the Harambe Fruit Market where they spotted a soft pretzel. Despite there being three employees, nobody was in too much of a rush to actually sell us anything. It was both amusing and annoying. Eventually with pretzel in hand, we had enough time to linger in the shops once again, then wait for the FoTLK to start.

I have to say, this show made the entire day. It was actually my first time seeing it, and it was fantastic! Also, being front row did seem a little bit special, although the package said you got a cast photo, but we never did. I then assumed maybe they brought it at the meal but, nope, so I have no idea what was up with that. In any event, we really enjoyed the show and the much needed A/C break.

Up next we had an upcoming FP on Dinosaur, which would pretty much be my DD first 'thrill ride'. Along the way we stopped to meet Scrooge McDuck. My DD had no interest in meeting Launchpad McQuack so we gave him a pass. For some reason she knew who Scrooge McDuck was but has never seen ducktales....

After the character meet and greet, we were still a few minutes early for our FP. We decided to chance it anyway, and it turned blue. I assume this meant our window hadn't opened. The CM just tapped something on his pad and we went 'green' and we were let in.

445395 Cooool....

It was already a big hit, and my DW was very impressed with my use of the FP system. I don't think she ever really understood what it takes to 'plan and put this together' but she definitely appreciated not standing in line. She did at one point ask if it would take a month to see all of WDW, which I pretty much said yes to. Future trips dancing in my head....We made it onto the ride when something bad happened. I somehow completely over tightened my seat belt. I mean, to the point it was cutting into me. I thought, no big deal, as long as the ride doesn't go down....Yes, that would be foreshadowing....My DD, it turns out, LOVED this ride. She laughed her thrill seeking head off! Everyone in the vehicle was laughing at her pure joy! We were just about to be back to home base, when, in fact, for the second time that day, we got stranded on a ride. To make it worse, I was extremely uncomfortable from the belt. I started to have a panic attack at this point. It went from an absolute highlight to a relative nightmare. My DW noticed my discomfort and talked me through it, but it turned a highlight of the day into a real bummer. They did grant us what turned out to be an unused FP when we finally got off the ride. But if the nice lady that was sitting next to me while I started to melt down is reading this, my apologies.

My DD did want to immediately go again. I suggested that would be fine, but my DW did not want to risk it. Fortunately for all of us, she also wanted to dig up dino bones, so we headed there instead.

445406 Just as good as a thrill ride!

It's a little bit amazing to me, thinking back, that this is somehow all we accomplished on a full park day, but there you have it. After we got our Paleontology on, we then stopped to look in a couple of other shops, but didn't really see much of interest. We then made our way over to Tiffins, where we waited out our ADR, and had a pretty solid meal (that I will be covering in my next DR installment), and caught a little bit of the lighting of the tree of life on our way out. It was a little confusing where to go to get back to the bus, as there are construction walls up and we inadvertently went the wrong way. When we did get to the right direction, I notice the SoG bus heading off, so we had 30 minutes or so to kill in the heat of the night. Which was also confusing, as it stops literally in the middle of the parking lot, so there is no clear place to hang out.

Eventually we made it back to the room, where my DW was relived that we had a 'light' day planned the next day. The morning would be brunch at Raglan Road, followed by some shopping, then an afternoon with dinner at Epcot, where we could see Illuminations. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter