Studio Availability

Prior to the Pandemic, we were able to get studios at AKL, OKW and SSR in early December. Anything else was gone before 7 months. May/June is much easier.
If there is a decent chance that I would be able to get a studio at AKL in early December at 7 months, it would ease my mind about CCV. I love AKL at Christmastime almost as much as WL. AKL is probably where we will buy if not at CCV. That being said, I do look forward to trying out OKW and SSR on our spring trips.

You mentioned that your adult children love it as much as you do. Are you planning on traveling with them? I would recommend two studios if that is the case and this will cut your stays even shorter. I have never had a problem getting two studios at 11 months out in December at BWV but have not had luck changing at 7 months to studios for anywhere but OKW or SSR.

If there is a decent chance that I would be able to get a studio at AKL in early December at 7 months, it would ease my mind about CCV. I love AKL at Christmastime almost as much as WL. AKL is probably where we will buy if not at CCV. That being said, I do look forward to trying out OKW and SSR on our spring trips.
We never had problems, but it was usually a Savannah view studio at Kidani. Of course, that is just our experience, yours might be different. Also, I booked the min. the window opened.

To give an example, here is what you would have found at 8 a.m. eastern, on May 5, 2021, if you you were looking for a studio at 7-months out for Sunday, Dec 5, to Sunday, Dec 12, 2021, at a WDW DVC resort:

-- VGF, Poly, BLT, BWV, BCV, CCV: all studios already filled for all seven nights.

-- BRV: studios filled for six of the seven nights

-- AKV Jambo: value, club level and standard view studios filled for all seven nights, savanna view six nights gone.

-- AKV Kidani: standard view studios gone seven nights, savanna view five nights.

-- Riviera (which you could not reserve with resale points purchased now for any resort other than Riviera): standard view and Tower studios gone all 7 nights, preferred view 5 nights.

-- SSR: standard area studios 5 nights gone, preferred area four nights gone.

-- OKW: near Hospitality House studios gone for 7 nights, all other studios gone for 5 nights.

Since you are considering CCV, you should also be aware that studios at CCV have an 11-month issue some times of the year, early December being one of them. At the resort a member owns, the member can reserve a room for up to 7-nights beginning online at 8 a.m. eastern, 11-months out from date of arrival. For time during first two weeks of December, the CCV studios can fill within moments after 8 a.m. eastern at 11-months out. The winners are simply those CCV owners whose computers communicate with Disney's faster than others at 8 a.m.

First two weeks of May used to have more moderate demand and thus a number of studios at various DVC resorts could be found at 7-months out, and one could usually get a studio right at 11-months at CCV. I say "used to" because in the last few years, due to annual changes made in points per night needed at the resorts for different times of year, the first two weeks of May has moved from a high point season to the second lowest point season. A change in demand is starting to be reflected for that fist part of May as a result, in that more is becoming difficult to get at 7-months out. The full impact of such point changes will likely take a few more years to become settled, and there is some likelihood early May will become more difficult to get than it is now for studios at 7-months out, and there is some risk that even an 11-month issue for CCV studios could develop for that time.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help, everyone! The availability charts and above example really helped. It looks like there's a little better chance of booking better view studios at the 7-month mark than the standard as long as you make sure you are on at exactly the 11-month mark, although still pretty tough. We would definitely be booking Savannah view any time we stay at AKL, so that may help. Maybe do a split stay with whatever I am able to cobble together would be an option, too. I'm also ok with booking the lake views, too, if that would help.

My daughter is a teacher, so wouldn't be able to join us on our December trips and my son and his girlfriend travel a lot on their own so would not be coming on those trips, either. I can see my daughter tagging along on some of our summer trips, but we would just pick the bigger studios and stay in one of those until we buy more points.

I am hoping that DH loves DVC after our first initial 150 pt purchase and we go ahead with the second phase of buying 150 direct points from Disney at Poly 2, Riviera or GFL and then adding some resale points at GCH in CA. The extra points would allow us to take some family trips further down the line as well as take future grandkids with us. We would bank the GCH every other year because we usually only go to CA once every two or three years.

I'm also looking into DVC and saw the same "studio people" podcast and it worried me as well. All this information is great and we're pretty much in the same position as the original poster, grown kids and grandkids on the way. We figure we'd be alternating between trips with just the two of us, or larger 2 bed options when bringing family along. While I loved AKL I'm also interested in other resorts and wanted some sort of reassurance that I would have a chance to stay at other resorts in studios as well. We are (currently) primarily late summer travellers, a time period which doesn't appear to be as popular looking at those charts from jshadd, and don't care about value rooms, views, or club level. So this has been very helpful for me as well, thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter