Student drowns on class trip

My story is similar to yours, although my son (almost 3) did not live through it :( :sad1:
that is true about the colder water.. unfortunately, the pool was heated and very warm.. he was under maybe 90 seconds... it can happen SO fast, and it is Silent!
:sad1:

I am so very sorry for your loss :hug:

We live 12 miles from the beach, so we are out there in the ocean a lot. DS9 and DS11 can swim the length of a pool, but they are not strong swimmers. There are annual drownings out at our beaches, usually a tourist not familiar with the strong riptide that is there. So my "poor" kids wear a life jacket if they go out in the ocean. They don't mind, and even though they are the only ones out there with a jacket, I don't care. They also aren't allowed to go deep enough to use their surfboards without DH with them. I watch them like a hawk. We don't mess with the ocean, it always wins.

mommytomy3, I am so sorry for the loss of your son.

I am often accused of being to over protective when it comes to my kids swimming. I am always the parent at the edge of the pool or the beach watching mine and others, while all the other adults are enjoying their own thing. I admit I am worried about the worst case scenerio when it comes to the water, but somebody needs to be because to often an accident happens because the adults were too comfortable with their children in or near the water. My friends and family can call me whatever they like (up tight, over protective, etc) and I hope that my fears never come true, but if even just once they do, all the names won't matter if I'm there to make sure a child doesn't drown.

I am often accused of being to over protective when it comes to my kids swimming. I am always the parent at the edge of the pool or the beach watching mine and others, while all the other adults are enjoying their own thing. I admit I am worried about the worst case scenerio when it comes to the water, but somebody needs to be because to often an accident happens because the adults were too comfortable with their children in or near the water. My friends and family can call me whatever they like (up tight, over protective, etc) and I hope that my fears never come true, but if even just once they do, all the names won't matter if I'm there to make sure a child doesn't drown.

:thumbsup2

Mommytomy3, I cannot comprehend your loss. I am so sorry.:hug:

mommytomy3 ~ I am so sorry for your loss. I truly wish there was something more than words and a cyber hug that I could offer you. :hug:

I had a big scare when my then 8 year old son went missing during a trip to a water park. Turned out he was in the bathroom for an hour with a sick stomach, but when I got a call that they couldn't find him, I went through the torture of thinking that he was drowned and at the bottom of the pool. Turned me into a helicopter mom from then on.

mommytomy3-
OP here, I'm so terribly sorry for your loss, and now feel bad for having brought this up, if it's freshened your sense of loss. Please feel free to post on the board whenever we can help you, or you're feeling down, and know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Terri

mommytomy3-
OP here, I'm so terribly sorry for your loss, and now feel bad for having brought this up, if it's freshened your sense of loss. Please feel free to post on the board whenever we can help you, or you're feeling down, and know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Terri

I knew what it was about before I started reading...dont feel bad. Thanks so much for your thoughts (and everyone else too) it is a hard time of year.. not only is it the anniversary,but obviously many more accidents happen the same time of year, so it always is 'freshened' as you said.
thank you,
Terry

I was at a city park which had a very large pool-like body of water. It had a large shallow area and an even larger deeper area, about 5-6ft deep. There were at least 12 lifeguards doing their job. I was there with my 4yo son and obviously I was sticking to him like glue.

There were so many kids in the water that day. A local summer camp had brought over about 500 children to picnic and swim. Nobody saw what happened but what we figured out is that one of the boys, around 8, followed his older brother out into the water, got out too far and went under. When the campers when to eat their lunches the counselors counted heads and realized they were missing one.

The lifeguards swept the pool in lines and found the boy limp, grey, and lifeless in about 5 ft of water. I have never been so profoundly affected. Those lifeguards did everything they could to revive him. Then the EMTs arrived and they worked on him. The counselor in charge was so hysterical they ended up having to take her to the hospital. The job of notifying the parents fell to police.

That was 17 years ago and the scene is still as vivid today as it was on that summer day. :sad1: I often think about the boy's family and I would give anything to let them know I still remember their boy.

How horrible, I'm so sorry.

My story is similar to yours, although my son (almost 3) did not live through it :( :sad1:
that is true about the colder water.. unfortunately, the pool was heated and very warm.. he was under maybe 90 seconds... it can happen SO fast, and it is Silent!

Oh I am so sorry! So very sorry :hug::hug::hug:
all the names won't matter if I'm there to make sure a child doesn't drown.

I agree!

I wish that drownings on class trips or anywhere WERE just freak accidents, but they are NOT. I have known five childern who drowned. It's not rare. It's a tragedy.

So heartbreaking!!! I feel for the family!!

I remember when I was younger, my brother's band went to a waterpark. I remember being in the big pool, watching kids slide down a waterfall into the pool. Then I remember seeing my dad dive into the pool, and come up with a young boy. They revived him, but he had a seizure afterwards and bite his tongue. By that time the ambulance was there and took over. I will NEVER forget that moment in my life!!:sad2::sad1:

What teachers/parents and chaperones SAY the rules are and what they do can sometimes be very different things.

Two years ago, I signed a permission slip for my 14 year old son to go on a field trip to a museum. It was an all day trip and we were asked to pack a lunch.

One of the teachers, after sending our permission slips, decided they would stop...somewhere...to eat afterwards. He didn't plan where to stop, he asked Mr. Random Bus Driver.

Mr. Random Bus Driver decided to go to a McDonalds on the corner of a busy downtown street at 4:00 on a weekday. That McDonalds happened to have no dining room, one carry out window, and outside seating for about 15 people. There were 70+ kids on the trip.

The teachers thought no supervison was necessary. One teacher said to his bus load of students- juniors and seniors, "Don't go out in that street and get yourself killed." The teacher on my son's bus (eighth graders and freshmen) told them they could go anywhere they wanted.

My son and several others decided not to use the crosswalk. The light for cross traffic was red, so cars were stopped. My son apparently decided that if he crossed quickly, he would be fine because the cars were stopped, right?

Wrong. He was hit by a car and killed.

There is no field trip on earth that is worth dying for at 14 years old. There is no field trip important enough to make it worth holding a student's hand as he lays dying in the street. There is no trip SO fun, SO exciting that it is worth watching a classmate die.

My younger son goes on field trips, but my husband or I (often both) go with him. We ALWAYS follow the rules and insist others do as well. Because we are usually given responsibility over our son and maybe one or two other children, one of us constantly evaluating the situation we are in for safety.

Field trips CAN be safe. But they often aren't because too many people don't do the right thing or become distracted.

mommytomy3-

Terri

mommyto3, Terri's thoughts are my sentiments exactly...
:grouphug: You will be in my thoughts and prayers...

dicar123, I am so so sorry for the loss of your son...:hug:
Your story is a good example of how important it is for rules and guidelines and supervision to be followed on field trips. Just because kids are older, doesn't mean that they should be given the liberties they were...espcecially at that age! I hope things were drastically changed. I have a DS14 and I can't even imagine. My heart just so goes out to you...

I am so sorry for your tragic loss, it must be very hard for you to share that story.

Every year we go the NJ Shore with lots of other families. Every year I drag my seat out to the front and stare at my kids, and the others, as they play in the surf. Every ear the other parents try to get me to sit by them, relax and have a drink, because the kids are all playing together and can look after each other.

Last year we came home on the Saturday after the 4th of July. That Saturday the surf was so rough I was terrified to even blink but peer pressure made me let my kids play with the others. After a few hours & as the tide changed I announced we had to get home so we packed up & left. When I got home I heard about a number of drownings that weekend around the LBI area... http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6261845, needless to say I could have kicked myself for not listening to my own gut instincts.

Water has it's place as a fun pastime and we do enjoy it, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't fearful... I don't care what anyone says, water of any kind can be extremely dangerous

LuvOrlando,
See, I was just meant to read your post! I grew up in NJ and went to the Jersey shore every year. This will be the first time in 17 years my family will be vacationing at LBI with a big group of friends. Everyone says how relaxing it is and fun with partying on the beach while the kids go off to play...
I love the beach, but the thought of it all stresses me out becuase I will NOT be partying on the beach, reading my book or worshiping the sun while my kids go off to play on their own. I will be in my beach chair watching their every move...not being paranoid or helicopterish, but protecting them! It only takes one minute...I know our friends may roll their eyes at me, but reading your post made me feel better about my following my gut instincts...

I am stunned stunned *stunned* by this thread, that so many of my fellow DIS'ers have lost a child and are willing to share such immense heartache. I am so sorry for all of you that have experienced these tragedies, I cannot begin to comprehend what you have gone through and are still going through.

Thank you, all I can say is maybe you've saved another child's life by sharing on this thread, someone you've never met might be more vigilant.

I have one daughter who's 16... every day I tell her I love her.

And :hug: to you,
agnes!

I was at a city park which had a very large pool-like body of water. It had a large shallow area and an even larger deeper area, about 5-6ft deep. There were at least 12 lifeguards doing their job. I was there with my 4yo son and obviously I was sticking to him like glue.

There were so many kids in the water that day. A local summer camp had brought over about 500 children to picnic and swim. Nobody saw what happened but what we figured out is that one of the boys, around 8, followed his older brother out into the water, got out too far and went under. When the campers when to eat their lunches the counselors counted heads and realized they were missing one.

The lifeguards swept the pool in lines and found the boy limp, grey, and lifeless in about 5 ft of water. I have never been so profoundly affected. Those lifeguards did everything they could to revive him. Then the EMTs arrived and they worked on him. The counselor in charge was so hysterical they ended up having to take her to the hospital. The job of notifying the parents fell to police.

That was 17 years ago and the scene is still as vivid today as it was on that summer day. :sad1: I often think about the boy's family and I would give anything to let them know I still remember their boy.

mommytomy3 ~ I am so sorry for your loss. I truly wish there was something more than words and a cyber hug that I could offer you. :hug:

What teachers/parents and chaperones SAY the rules are and what they do can sometimes be very different things.

Two years ago, I signed a permission slip for my 14 year old son to go on a field trip to a museum. It was an all day trip and we were asked to pack a lunch.

One of the teachers, after sending our permission slips, decided they would stop...somewhere...to eat afterwards. He didn't plan where to stop, he asked Mr. Random Bus Driver.

Mr. Random Bus Driver decided to go to a McDonalds on the corner of a busy downtown street at 4:00 on a weekday. That McDonalds happened to have no dining room, one carry out window, and outside seating for about 15 people. There were 70+ kids on the trip.

The teachers thought no supervison was necessary. One teacher said to his bus load of students- juniors and seniors, "Don't go out in that street and get yourself killed." The teacher on my son's bus (eighth graders and freshmen) told them they could go anywhere they wanted.

My son and several others decided not to use the crosswalk. The light for cross traffic was red, so cars were stopped. My son apparently decided that if he crossed quickly, he would be fine because the cars were stopped, right?

There is no field trip on earth that is worth dying for at 14 years old. There is no field trip important enough to make it worth holding a student's hand as he lays dying in the street. There is no trip SO fun, SO exciting that it is worth watching a classmate die.

My younger son goes on field trips, but my husband or I (often both) go with him. We ALWAYS follow the rules and insist others do as well. Because we are usually given responsibility over our son and maybe one or two other children, one of us constantly evaluating the situation we are in for safety.

Field trips CAN be safe. But they often aren't because too many people don't do the right thing or become distracted.

I am stunned stunned *stunned* by this thread, that so many of my fellow DIS'ers have lost a child and are willing to share such immense heartache. I am so sorry for all of you that have experienced these tragedies, I cannot begin to comprehend what you have gone through and are still going through.

Thank you, all I can say is maybe you've saved another child's life by sharing on this thread, someone you've never met might be more vigilant.

I have one daughter who's 16... every day I tell her I love her.

And :hug: to you,
agnes!

I am a balling mess right now... Hugs to all of you who have gone through something so horrific... Words can't express my thoughts, but know that sharing your heartache can help at least one child...

:grouphug:

Oh no, I can't even imagine your pain. I am so sorry. :hug:

I just wanted to thank all of you for your kindness.

One of the issues we have really struggled with is getting people to understand what happened. All of the initial news reports stated the most obvious fact: My son ran across the street and wasn't in a crosswalk.

It was a HUGE story here (the accident happened one week before Christmas). It took 6 weeks, a lawyer and a round of media interviews explaining that the school administration was stonewalling us before enough pressure was applied to the Superintendent to defy the lawyers and tell us what happened that day.

By that time, the story was old news. Everyone thought they knew what happened. As a result, very little has changed, because my husband and I are the only people who think changes need to be made.

How do we tell our story without coming off as the lunatic grieving parents who want to blame everyone BUT their kid?

So, I'm noisy whenever I think I might be able to effect change in individuals. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter