• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller for almost 8-year-old??

jshoemak

Mouseketeer
Our last visit to Disney was 2 years ago and we rented a stroller from Orlando Stroller. We used the stroller everyday, but our daughter only rode in it 50-75% of the time. Do you suggest to get a stroller for this trip? It's just hard to let go of the stroller because it can hold so much. We don't use a stroller at home and haven't for many, many years. Disney is a different story though...:)

There is a family here that uses a stroller just for hauling food. It is a family of 5 or 6 and spend very little on food inside the park.

Sounds like you want to use a stroller in the same manner. Not so much a people carrier, but a cargo carrier.

Last edited:
I’ll tell you this - stroller parking is a pain in the rear these days. They have added lots of it, but it is always full so you do a lot of walking to and from where you parked the stroller to the ride. Not to mention the hassle trying to maneuver the stroller out of the parking area. If I were you I wouldn’t rent one unless you need it for certain parks.

There are about a billon threads on this very topic :) But we are in similar situations. 8 year old that hasn't needed a stroller in years but like you said, Disney is a different story and the storage is a def. plus. But ultimately we decided not to rent on this trip. Adding her weight + the stroller weight, it would be hard on us to push her. But I'll rent the largest one for our 3 year old and her older sister can hop in if she really needs a rest.

You could go without and if it's an issue rent a Disney stroller or place an order with Orlando Stroller.

I have a toddler and a newborn and we are going to WDW in 7 months. I WISH I didn't have to have the stroller. If I was you I wouldn't take one. Parking them is a pain, getting around with them is a pain. Why would you want to do that to yourself? An 8 year old is big enough to walk, even around WDW all day.

Since your daughter is 2 years older why not start without one- you might find you don’t need to take as much in (rent a locker maybe). See if she is able to walk the parks taking breaks and try taking less stuff in. At 8 she might not want to use one either- and probably should be encouraged to walk.

If your trip isn’t for a few months as a family start walking daily. Add distance or time every few days to build stamina.

Since you asked I will nicely say I wouldn’t get one - first Disney World trip my boys were 8 and and 7. They walked the parks - no stroller. Prior to that Disneyland (much smaller park) ages 4 and 5 no stroller.

If you are going at super busy time might be hard navigating through crowds.

In the end only you can decide what is best . If my child she would walk.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine how much I’d have to bribe my DD8 to get in a stroller and she’s on the smaller side. It is great not needing a stroller and I’m pretty sure we stopped when she was 5. I’d say I carried her on my shoulders some while she was 5 and then 6 on she could walk the park.

My daughter will be 2 months shy of 8 years old when we go in a couple of weeks. She hasn't used a stroller in years, either, and it really never occurred to me to get one while we are there. You know your child best. If you think there will be a need for some breaks, build in some TS meals or shows. And, if you find you really need one when there, you can always rent. But, I agree with posters above..... having one is probably more trouble than it's worth at that age. Just pare down the stuff you bring into the park and carry a bag - I'll bet it will be quite nice! :) Have a great trip!

A few years ago I was standing in line somewhere with an elderly woman who had a stroller. I mentioned something about her having a grandchild and she said no she just used it to carry stuff.

Every child is different - some need it at 8 especially if you do full long park days and others don’t. I love having a stroller even if the kids only use it 20% of the time. Stroller parking is fine and we often park the stroller for a white a bunch of rides the grab it as we move to the next part of the park.

Unless there is a medical need NO.
Also honestly if you have THAT much then rent a locker.
IMO strollers are a hindrance when its not for a child that actually needs it because really you either need to bring everything with you when you leave the stroller or you have to make sure whatever is in the stroller is not that important to you so if its stolen it doesn't matter.
Not to mention you have to park it in stroller parking and then go back to it and move it along with you as you go.
By the time a child is nearly 8 what is it that you really need for them or yourself that won't fit in a a backpack?

Last edited:
Our last trip my daughter was 7. We rented a stroller on the day before our last bc she was getting tired and whiny. We definitely didn’t need it every day and so left our own at home so we didn’t have to mess with it at the airport, being in the way at the hotel, etc.

Just get yourself a comfortable backpack for your things or get a locker. You'll be glad you don't have to keep track of the stroller., backtrack after every ride etc. It's much easier.

Strollers are great just because of the sheer volume of stuff you can put in them- changes of clothes, hats, jackets, sunscreen, watershoes for water rides (and no need for a locker when riding water rides), drinks, snacks, popcorn containers, souvenirs, and so on, without having to try to stuff everything in a heavy backpack. I confess that when our youngest kid was around 10 we would still rent a double stroller mostly for putting stuff in it; she would mostly walk but once in a while after a long day take a ride in it. Now it’s everything stuffed in a backpack, but I miss the convenience of a stroller. And in many years of using one nothing ever got stolen.

Last edited:
Every child is different. At 8, DS was fine in ever park but Epcot. We had to break down and get him the stroller part way through World Showcase. The kid, however, is the only reason I would get a stroller. I wouldn't rent one just to make it more convenient to carry my own stuff. Anything you gain in convenience there, you more than lose in having to deal with parking the thing, and finding it later on. When the kids are old enough to walk, it is time to downsize what you carry into the parks so that you are capable of carrying everything, and don't need the stroller just to carry your stuff around, or at least, that is my opinion. Of course, you mileage may vary, so do what works for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter