Candy canes
batteries
water proof phone case
travel pouches for the ear buds and cords... I am tired of digging for ours
clippers, nail files
gum, mints, Listerine packs
Toothbrushes, and toothpaste and toothbrush covers
Pens for the grown ups, markers and crayons for the grandkids
mini flash lights that plug into the car for charging.
Refrigerator magnets with funny saying...
note pads, or pocket calendars.

No..........Stockings are for Christmas DAY - they are filled by Santa overnight and are the first thing opened on Christmas Morning while you wait for everyone else to get up

Same here.

Sorry... but that's just the way it always has been for OUR family.

No judgement (I get that everyone has different traditions) but I'm honestly curious - can you explain how stockings on Christmas Eve actually works? - Does your DD not believe in Santa Claus? Do you go to early Mass and it's there when you return? I just don't get the logistics.

Last edited:
How do you get humidifiers and board games into a stocking?

I put deodorant, shave cream, shampoo, body wash, etc in my kids' stockings and always have- like someone else posted I get them upgraded versions but now that they are older and both work they buy their own hygiene products through the year if they don't want to use what I have on hand. I but them razors at Sam's Club but they go under the tree as they are the mega packs and don't fit into their stockings. I get socks, candy, silly putty, cologne/perfume, makeup, etc. My daughter loves black olives so sometimes a can or two makes an appearance in her stocking.

Love it! I was the same way as a kid, and my aunt did that one year. - I was so excited to have a whole can to myself.

I have always, since I was a little kid, loved cocktail onions/pickled onions (yes you heard right) so I would be totally pumped when I got those as a gift, lol. I could eat a jar at a time (I still can...)

Same here.

No judgement (I get that everyone has different traditions) but I'm honestly curious - can you explain how stockings on Christmas Eve actually works? - Does your DD not believe in Santa Claus? Do you go to early Mass and it's there when you return? I just don't get the logistics.

I'm not the person you asked, but we also opened stockings & gifts on Christmas Eve with my parents & older sister's families. My parents & older sisters filled the stockings. Santa had nothing to do with our stockings. He left our gift (gifts) under the tree on Christmas morning. By that point, Santa's gifts were the only thing left under the tree. I carried on a similar tradition with my own family. We fill the stockings & buy each other gifts. Santa brings DS the gift (gifts) he wants most or the gift that's most expensive.

Last edited:
I just have one stocking to fill - DD (21) - and I have these items so far:

Replacement heads for electric toothbrush
Bottle of favorite shower gel from Bath & Body Works
Terrycloth headband
Makeup wipes
Beauty blender sponge
Holiday socks
Gum & Candy

Still looking for a few more items.....

Yep, a Christmas Carol. Seems so surprising someone's managed to miss seeing it with the endless versions that seem to be out there.

My favorite is the musical Scrooge with Albert Finney in the title role, but the George C. Scott version is a close second.

When we were kids, stockings were stuffed by Santa. Now, they usually contain accessories and add ons for the tree gifts, so stockings are opened last in order not to spoil any surprises. There could be batteries, cables, accessories like Apple pencils, etc. any small and valuable gifts, like jewelry, usually go in the stockings too.

During the Santa years, we opened gifts from grandparents and other family on Christmas Eve, and Santa gifts Christmas Day. Now we open all gifts Christmas Eve and then sleep in and just enjoy being together on Christmas Day.

I also had a family where Santa brought gifts on Christmas eve. I was the youngest, so my siblings would take me sledding. If there was no snow, Dad would take us on a drive to see Christmas lights. When we got back in the house, Santa magically had visited and left our gifts! I guess I was pretty gullible, but they are such wonderful memories. My Mom said we did it this way so we could enjoy the time because we had church in the morning and after that we went to relatives homes.

Santa always brought the stockings and left them at the foot of our beds. We were allowed to open our stockings before getting up on Christmas morning. Clever ruse to buy my parents a little more sleep, LOL! Stockings were filled with little gifts, make-up, favorite foods (my sister ALWAYS got a can of sardines :crazy2: ), candy, puzzle books, card games, and always had a can of mandarin oranges in the toe. I bet I was in my 20s before I realized this was a standard grocery store item; I always thought they were something special, that only Santa could supply! Being as we ate mandarins fairly often when DD was growing up (fruit cups and such), her stocking often had a pomegranate in the toe... or a chocolate orange!

I think the cocktail onions/olives/sardines are funny! Unfortunately, for my kids, it would be ice cream, and that's simply not going to work.

One stocking stuffer that's great for my DH and DS21 is weird kinds of jerky. We have a jerky store in town, but even when we lived rural, I could scare up unusual jerkies--alligator, kangaroo, etc. At a couple bucks a stick, too expensive for a regular snack, but they make an unusual treat. DS21 always gets coal in his stocking, too--the chocolate kind. He'd probably wonder where he went wrong, if he didn't get it one year!

Beyond that, it's usually lip balm, dollar store make-up, hair ties, nail polish, and any cute, random thing I can find that the recipient would like. And lots of candy--when in doubt, throw in candy!

I think the cocktail onions/olives/sardines are funny! Unfortunately, for my kids, it would be ice cream, and that's simply not going to work.

One stocking stuffer that's great for my DH and DS21 is weird kinds of jerky. We have a jerky store in town, but even when we lived rural, I could scare up unusual jerkies--alligator, kangaroo, etc. At a couple bucks a stick, too expensive for a regular snack, but they make an unusual treat. DS21 always gets coal in his stocking, too--the chocolate kind. He'd probably wonder where he went wrong, if he didn't get it one year!

Beyond that, it's usually lip balm, dollar store make-up, hair ties, nail polish, and any cute, random thing I can find that the recipient would like. And lots of candy--when in doubt, throw in candy!
"Astronaut" ice cream is always a huge hit with my kids and can go in the stockings!

Things that actually fit in your stocking are stocking stuffers. The rest are Christmas gifts.

I agree, although I admit Santa usually accidentally over fills them....

On a side note just because something is small does not.make it a stocking stuffer. Diamond earrings and iPods are not stocking stuffers!

What kind of stocking fits such large items? Those are gifts I'd expect under the tree, or next to it.

Some of those sacks might do...

My family did this growing up and I did it for my kids until the year my DD had an ulcer. She was having major GI issues and everything that year from Halloween to Christmas had to be adjusted (in fact that Thanksgiving she was only allowed to eat broth and jello). I honestly missed having oranges at Christmas breakfast so my mom always makes sure to bring one just for me.

Every year we (8 of us) would get an orange in our stocking and every year immediately put it back in the fridge!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter