• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Still Feeding Nebo: The may trip final chapter pg 122, Dec. 31

Oh, oh, I'm falling behind again. I'd better comment on a couple episodes before jumping ahead to your most recent. First of all: This Old Spouse. . . :lmao: Good one! I think you had better sign yourself up for HGTV's "Before and After" program where contractors come in and do a complete make-over. At the end of the show you barely recognize the original, out-of-date dwelling. In your case the contractors could come in and remodel your weather foot, install a couple new knees, and replace a few discs. Then you could do this: :banana: and even this: :yay: without looking like this: :headache:

Oh, and about your car at the beach: You should have told the guy no problem, you're driving one of those James Bond cars that converts into a dunny buggy, speedboat or submarine at the press of a button.

Excellent segments! :happytv: I loved your account of circling the slow car and the car behind you following in your ruts. This certainly proves that "being in a rut" has it's advantages. I'll keep that in mind as one of life's great lessons learned from Nebo.

THe hot tub scene was great, too. From now on we'll have to call you Lawrence Welk, since you're the man with the bubbles. I know you're old enough to understand, even if half your readership has never heard of Lawrence Welk. ;)

Yep, this is going to be a long and very entertaining trip report. I'm having a great time reading it and we're not even "There Yet."

Smidgy, I don't believe in leashes for husbands either. Those shock collars for dogs work so much better. If hubby wanders off in the store, just press the button and listen for the curse word. :rolleyes1

Nebo, guess you were on target about the "not so friendly frog" comment. :rotfl2:

"Hey who needs a Gidget when you have a "Smidgey?"" (Am trying to figure out how to do quotes).

Excellent answer Nebo!:thumbsup2

You guys both look great.

After reading these hilarious reports I had to post a lil' sumthin sumthin to say I cant wait for the next installment. I just stumbled on them today and had to stiffle a few laughs so people in my office dont think Im nuts (checking it out on my break...of course). I just drove that stretch of road on I40 not too long ago going to SC and at some points I think I could have gave the door of a semi a spit shine it was so close on those curves. There are probably still fingernail marks on the passenger side of the truck from my DW. You dont relax in the smokies on that road for many many miles and the tunnels just spice it up. :scared:

As for the Waffle Houses we counted them up per exit (but never ate at one) encountered all the way from KY to SC and (because I might as well be a pocket protector wearing, taped up glasses nerd) figured out they averaged a waffle house every 3.5 exits approximately over about 400 miles. There's a stretch there with 4 in a row should you crave it that often.

Anyway, cant wait for more trip report!

Great installment Nebo!

I loved when you called Lobster Man, Market Price.

After a bit of enjoying ourselves, BY ourselves, (stop it Winkers, don't go there),
And I come right back, and just as I was getting in again, I noticed no bubbles.
"Hey where did ,,,"

And Diane pressed the button again.
goodnight all :rotfl2:

Who me?????
Smidgy, I had a good laugh over your "timing" with the button!:lmao:

Whew! I just read everything. Great report Nebo! Loving it so far! You have Lexmelinda to thank for my presence here. She said you would be at WDW in September, and so will I! I've heard you are a funny guy, and I find that to be accurate. :)

WOW! Check out my brother, Bill!!!
34%3A3%3B5272%7Ffp68%3Dot%3E2326%3D679%3D%3B9%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23237845275%3A9ot1lsi

Sorry, I'm really bored today... :guilty:

I had to quote this because I think I know what his shirt says because DH and I both have the same shirt! ("House of Paign"?) We live IN Illini country! (And we in the "House of Payne", as I sometimes refer to our home.)

I am currently taking a microbiology class and I thought about you tonight when my professors talked about all of the infectious microorganisms that can be found in a hot tub :scared: :scared:

I dont think I will ever be going in a public hot tub!! Its really like a microbacterial soup and when you get out you just have to hope you did not come away with anything that will start a really nasty skin infection or worse:eek: :scared:

Now that I was able to get that off my chest and tell another person about what I learned (be glad your not my sister, mother, or DH who has to hear me talk about parasitology and how I will never go into the Nile if I am in Egypt for fear of getting the parasites that pass through unbroken skin:scared: ).

On another note.....Loved your installment!

you parked where? Why?

and where exactly was this bar that had $2.50 coronas? We were there a couple of summers ago for a family reunion and missed out on that!

Suz, this bar is called the Beachcomber and it's right on the beach in the middle of ST. Augustine Beach . About a block north of the Holiday Inn and Comfort INN. You won't see it from A1A though, it's on a little side street.

I just found your TR and loving it. I'm sorry but I don't know who you are, have never heard of you before. But I look forward to hearing more from ya.:surfweb: You are a very intresting guy. You and your wife remind me of my soon to be inlaws. :lmao: Keep it coming.

And even sooner to be "outlaws". Hey, new peep here. Welcome. And don't worry, I don't know me either,and didn't hear of me till last monday. Congrats on the upcoming ceremon. Just remember, marriage isn't a word. It's a SENTENCE!

Donald is #1; Welcome aboard, I think this is the first time I've seen you post on one my trips, though I've seen your name before. Yeah, I"m sure I have, it was usually preceeded by, "For a good time, call,,,,,"

Thanks, I learn something here every day!

Smidgy, you're right about the leashes...I cringe when I see them on children so I can't imagine what they would look like on a spouse! :lmao:

Loved the bubbles! That was a good one.:thumbsup2

Yes, that sure was funny with the bubbles, wasn't it?
ha
ha

:sad2: Not saying anything...just sitting here.
Well, he finished!? I had my dollar on an equally loser-ish horse.

Ok, I'm going to try it again, this time with subtitles. You see, when they take a photo finish picture, it's right at the wire. The tip of the nose is what they go by. That is when you do NOT want the horse to look over at the camera and smile, it could cost,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh, never mind.

Good one! Did that guy really call you Diane's husband?

YesMelinda, he did.
All night. I called him MP for short.

Good stuff....I'll just wait right here til Thursday. K? :rolleyes1

Oh, oh, I'm falling behind again. I'd better comment on a couple episodes before jumping ahead to your most recent. First of all: This Old Spouse. . . :lmao: Good one! I think you had better sign yourself up for HGTV's "Before and After" program where contractors come in and do a complete make-over. At the end of the show you barely recognize the original, out-of-date dwelling. In your case the contractors could come in and remodel your weather foot, install a couple new knees, and replace a few discs. Then you could do this: :banana: and even this: :yay: without looking like this: :headache:

Hey special K, I'm not really sure I want to do:banana: , or even:cheer2:
Can I just stick to :happytv: and popcorn:: ?

Smidgy, I don't believe in leashes for husbands either. Those shock collars for dogs work so much better. If hubby wanders off in the store, just press the button and listen for the curse word. :rolleyes1

Nebo, guess you were on target about the "not so friendly frog" comment. :rotfl2:

Great, from leashes to shock collars. Does that mean we can throw away the handcuffs?

"Hey who needs a Gidget when you have a "Smidgey?"" (Am trying to figure out how to do quotes).

Excellent answer Nebo!:thumbsup2

You guys both look great.

Yes, that was a great answer, wasn't it?
Whew!

After reading these hilarious reports I had to post a lil' sumthin sumthin to say I cant wait for the next installment. I just stumbled on them today and had to stiffle a few laughs so people in my office dont think Im nuts (checking it out on my break...of course). I just drove that stretch of road on I40 not too long ago going to SC and at some points I think I could have gave the door of a semi a spit shine it was so close on those curves. There are probably still fingernail marks on the passenger side of the truck from my DW. You dont relax in the smokies on that road for many many miles and the tunnels just spice it up. :scared:

As for the Waffle Houses we counted them up per exit (but never ate at one) encountered all the way from KY to SC and (because I might as well be a pocket protector wearing, taped up glasses nerd) figured out they averaged a waffle house every 3.5 exits approximately over about 400 miles. There's a stretch there with 4 in a row should you crave it that often.

Anyway, cant wait for more trip report!

Hey, another new guy in the crew. Howdy.
Yes, the tunnels did "spice' things up. But tunnel spice is overated I think.
I was more concerned about becoming tunnel sauce. btw, it looks like we will be checking into Riverside on the same day.
PARRRRTEEEE!

Great installment Nebo!

I loved when you called Lobster Man, Market Price.

Anabelle, you just wouldn't believe how burnt he was. He needed ice and he goes in the hot tub!

Who me?????
Smidgy, I had a good laugh over your "timing" with the button!:lmao:

Yes, that sure was funny with the button timing.
ha
ha

I am currently taking a microbiology class and I thought about you tonight when my professors talked about all of the infectious microorganisms that can be found in a hot tub :scared: :scared:

I dont think I will ever be going in a public hot tub!! Its really like a microbacterial soup and when you get out you just have to hope you did not come away with anything that will start a really nasty skin infection or worse:eek: :scared:

Now that I was able to get that off my chest and tell another person about what I learned (be glad your not my sister, mother, or DH who has to hear me talk about parasitology and how I will never go into the Nile if I am in Egypt for fear of getting the parasites that pass through unbroken skin:scared: ).

On another note.....Loved your installment!

Yep, I think I can say for all of us, sharing is highly overrated. I don't mean the germs in the tub, I mean the germ INFO on the blog. I'll bet you're a riot at an OLD COUNTRY BUFFET. To be honest, I would have thought that the high temperature would kill most germs, guess not , huh? (did you just hear everybody cringe knowing that she's going to answer this now?):scared1:

That's it for now, hope to see you all later

Someone on one of the Yahoo Groups told me never to use a jacuzzi tub in the room without running bleach through it first. Her DH is a Jacuzzi repair guy.
So when we did our post timeshare check in shopping trip at WalMart, we bought a quart of bleach. We carefully filled the tub to the recommended water level above the jets (yes, we do read the instructions!) and dumped in the bleach.
Then we turned on the bubbles. :scared1:
Shortly thereafter, chunks of unidentifiable brown gunk and other particulate matter began a merry dance in the tub. :scared:
We decided that we didn't want to use the jacuzzi tub after all.
No matter how much bleach we poured in it.

Hey Nebo and Smidgey!

Funny episode yet again! You had us hanging with maybe getting stuck in the sand in the last one.
I am so happy you are going back in September, just in time to do a new one after you finish this one.

Not to turn this into a whirlpool thread, but a recreation manager told me years ago he wouldn't go in a hottub......

YAY, It's Thursday! Been a stressful week, I need a dose of Nebo! Will they get to the World???????

I'll bet you're a riot at an OLD COUNTRY BUFFET.
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

(did you just hear everybody cringe knowing that she's going to answer this now?)
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

In the future I can envision your followers taking up collections to send you to Disney, just so you will do another trip report. ( Just don't ask me to drink any Koolaid.)

Great episode as always. Funny stuff with the hot tub bubbles. My son would love it. I must agree with missmun52, and after talking with the infection control nurse where I work, I can't stomach the thought of hot tubs either. But the crystal palace buffet is 100% germ free.;)
Hope to read ya later tonight.

Someone on one of the Yahoo Groups told me never to use a jacuzzi tub in the room without running bleach through it first. Her DH is a Jacuzzi repair guy.
So when we did our post timeshare check in shopping trip at WalMart, we bought a quart of bleach. We carefully filled the tub to the recommended water level above the jets (yes, we do read the instructions!) and dumped in the bleach.
Then we turned on the bubbles. :scared1:
Shortly thereafter, chunks of unidentifiable brown gunk and other particulate matter began a merry dance in the tub. :scared:
We decided that we didn't want to use the jacuzzi tub after all.
No matter how much bleach we poured in it.

Wow! and I thought Missmun was going to be the messenger of bad bubbles.
I'm not even sure I want to take a bath anymore
Hey Nebo and Smidgey!

Funny episode yet again! You had us hanging with maybe getting stuck in the sand in the last one.
I am so happy you are going back in September, just in time to do a new one after you finish this one.

Not to turn this into a whirlpool thread, but a recreation manager told me years ago he wouldn't go in a hottub......

YAY, It's Thursday! Been a stressful week, I need a dose of Nebo! Will they get to the World???????

Ok, I'm Aghast, Agape, and Agog,with all this disgusting whirlpool info. Next thing you know, someone's going to tell me what goes into hotdogs. (don't even think about it)
My dear Marita, there is no way on God's green earth this will be done by sept. I'm learning. So should we all meet up down there then, This tripreport will have "asides". Besides, there will be so many tr's being written after the free dining,,,,,, you will be on second page in six hours. :)

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I love that kind of quote, don't know what they said, but it made me feel good. Like I've always said, I never met a friendly frog I didn't like.

In the future I can envision your followers taking up collections to send you to Disney, just so you will do another trip report. ( Just don't ask me to drink any Koolaid.)

Um, the orange is really good

"Guess that's it MP, gonna head back in."
"Ok, you take care, Diane's husband, been fun meeting you. Even if you did get a cheaper rate."
"See? Never be ashamed to play the "age" card. It's worth the little hit that your pride takes. But when you have an upbringing like mine, pride is the last of your problems. For instance,when i was justakid,oncemymother told methattherereallywasno,,,"
"Fine, AGAIN, nice meeting, have a nice trip down to Disney."
"Oh, but I hadn't reached,,
"FINE."
"ADIOS!"

Back in the room, I commented on how fate couldn't have been smiling on you better with the bubble thing going on.
She just blew in her straw and made bubbles.

That night, I slept like a baby.

Yep, I woke up every two hours crying and screaming.
The non smoking thing you know.

Next morning, I went to the lobby to check out the Continental Breakfast.
Would have like to try the beachcomber, but that Waffle House break blew the budget.
Ok, ok, stop it now.

This cont. break. had everything. I mean EVERYTHING.
Even waffle irons to make potholed pancakes in. It was all too confusing to me, my system was overloading so I walked out with a coffee and a sweet roll.

Outside, MAN, was it smokey. I mean, it really stinks smokey. As I'm out there sniffing, (here's where missmun tells me how many bacterium are living in smoke) A couple of fire trucks zoom by.

I went back into the lobby to talk to our host, same guy, and ask him what he knows.
Oh he knew something. Only problem was that with my hard of hearingness, and his Al Queda accent, it wasn't transferring from his mouth to my brain.

Did I just say that outloud? I"m sorry, it was just the frustration factor setting in. I had said, sorry,can't hear you, excuse me? say that again, WHAT? GET THE ,,,, OUT OF YOUR MOUTH.
It seemed like he could just go on all day. As long as I was willing to keep standing there saying, "WHAT?", he would just keep standing there and repeat it in the exact, same, monotone voice.

It was like trying to crack a "Jumble" puzzle in the newspaper that the editor didn't realize was misspelled.

Soonly, we are on our way. Just staying along the coast, going to follow this down to Daytona, then pick up 4.

I was told this was a lovely drive. The ocean at your side,the wind in your face, the smell of freedom in your ashtray.

About 3 miles down, I caught a glimpse of the ocean.
Just a glimpse, mind you.
In between the condos.
Diane missed it, she wasn't quick enough.

And on we go.

The further away we got, the openings got a bit bigger, and eventually, it turned into a nice drive.
Coming up on this small town, we saw signs, something like:

"Don't miss the Shark Shack!"

"Shark Shack, 2 miles up!"

"Under all new management, THE SHARK SHACK!

"Music, Dancing, Entertainment, THe Shark Shack. On your left."

Well, we found the Shark Shack. It looked like the shark that Roy Scheider got to bite the electrified cable in the movie. It was a huge pile of burned down rubble, with the Shark Shack sign barely hanging there.

I'm sorry. After all the buildup, that will make you laugh.

Approaching Daytona, we switched over to 4, and now I'm feeling like this is the last highway I need to take.
Now too far along, I noticed a fog in the distance. "Is it getting froggy out or is it just me?"
No, she says she sees it too.

I turned on the defroggers.

Then I smelled it.
"Oh Honey, can you be ready to squirt those juice packs at a moments notice?"

I don't think she even noticed. She's got that map thing going on again.
Wants me to take the bypass around Orlando. This time I put my foot down.
Ok, dear, whatever you say.
No, actually I told her "hey, it's ten in the morning on a sunday, how bad can downtown Orlando be?"

As we are going through it, I got great joy out of constantly announcing,"Oh, look, you see that way up there? It's another car."

Then we are exitting on Universay Blvd.

No, it doesn't have the purple signs like Disney does that makes you all a-twitter, but the street is just packed with palm trees, and you still get a Hallmark Moment when you start reading the signs.

We follow the signs past our beloved Royal Pacific, and proceed down to the Hard Rock Hotel. At Universal, you are INVITED to pool hop, and all 3 hotels have great pools. So, we have visited Hrh before, just never stayed there.

And you know what?
We won't again.
Oh, it's nice, just not worth the money. With our AAA discount, it was still 242 a night.
I don't do 242.

Break time, be right back with some pics.:hourglass

When is the Great Nebo and Smidgey September Trip?
Besides being in September.
Dates even.
We'll be there from 9/1 to 9/8.
Don't let that keep you from coming to Disney. :hippie:

Back in the room, I commented on how fate couldn't have been smiling on you better with the bubble thing going on.
She just blew in her straw and made bubbles.
Diane! :lmao:
Oh he knew something. Only problem was that with my hard of hearingness, and his Al Queda accent, it wasn't transferring from his mouth to my brain.
I love this part! FOFF!
I don't do 242.
Me neither but then I don't have the AARP discount in my favor. Heh.
Break time, be right back with some pics.:hourglass
Will these also be from the Feb. 94 trip?

05-30-2007-10.jpg
I dropped Diane off in front, then the Andy Frain Ushers attacked. I never had a chance.
All she got out of her mouth was, "We're checkin,,,,"
And that was it.

They had stripped the car of all paraphelia in less than 3 minutes.
Cooler, et al.

They even got the 3 year old Ju Ju bees in the back of the glove box. I gave him five bucks.
No, a roll of lifesavers does not count as a suitcase.
While I went in search of a parking spot, she went to start the dreaded check-in process.

The Uni hotels are just as confusing as the Disney hotels, probably even more so.
I pulled up at the lobby, and of course, this is floor 3. I parked on the side, went into a side entrance, and I was on floor one. Had to climb two flights of stairs just to get back to where I started from.

As I make it to the top stair, and just start looking around in the lobby, I was in a great mood. And I guess I said something a little too "outloud" that shouldn't have been even "outmedium". Or "outquiet".

"So, this is where Anna Nicole Smith bought the farm, Eh?"

"SHHHHHHHHHH."

"I just got us checked in and you want us thrown out already?"
Diane had seen me before I saw her. I couldn't believe it, we were just dreading this checkin because if you don't end up with a smoking room, you're in deep do-do. No balconies, no outside doors. It's a major hassle to go have a smoke. But she was done already?

"And it was in Fr. Lauderdale's Hard Rock that she died."

Yeah, yeah, I know, but that would have taken away the yelling that out here , part. So, how'd the check-in go?

Just great, we have a garden view on the first floor.

This chapter should have been titled. " OH Room, wherefore art thou?"

So I just started heading back down the stairs I came up on. Down there, the definition of the first floor in that wing was just a shop and a restaurant.
Nope, no rooms down here.

And up we go again.

She asked for directions from concierge. Hey, you knew I wasn't going to , right?

This time we took an elevator down.

A totally different section. A totally same lack of rooms again.

We looked around.
One door led to the gift shop, one led out to the pool, one to a bank of pay phones, PAY PHONES Melinda, it was very laborinthean, labrothine, um , labrynithean,,,,,

It was like a maze.

We went back up and asked again.

They sent us back down to go to the john.
Yes, you heard right, if you didn' t get close enough, you didn't see the corridor that led to a wing of rooms right by the sign that said "restrooms."

Our room view was nothing special. Just a piece of grass surrrounded by bushes and trees. Not great, not bad either. After our luggage found it's way up there, (another 5 bucks), we unpacked, and were dying to go "exploring".

We both put our suits on, I grabbed the camera, and we're off. Starting off back upstairs, I'm going to show you a few photo's, but trust me, I will be much more opinionated the next chapter

05-30-2007-10.jpg

This is the front. It's pretty cool I think, but I'm easily impressed , I guess.

Oh heck, I'll be opinionated right now. Universal's cheapy resort which isnt cheap, just blows this place away.
Blows it AWAY!
The lobby is breathtaking, with an open air orchid garden situated around a reflecting pool with all these gnomes and maidens peeing into it.

Hey, it works for me.
Then we went down to the pool.

05-30-2007-48.jpg

and,,,,,

05-30-2007-49.jpg

I will, at the risk of life and limb, tell you that the Hard Rock Hotel has the best pool slide of any of the resorts.
Yes, I'm talking disney's also.

I have to reiterate something here for our newer readers.
We are Disney true blooded, died to the bone, fanatics.
But we also like Universal. Key word here being "like".
And we consider it our patriotic duty to visit Universal, on our "driving down" trips. We need Uni to flourish, and to keep that competitive edge alive and shining between them and Disney.

At this very moment, yes, this VERY MOMENT!, I am wondering what Disney's response is going to be with the announcement by Universal that they are putting in a Harry Potter themed land in Islands of Adventure.

But , I know Disney is not going to let that go unchallenged.
So, I hope that some of you Disney purists, can stay with me here long enough till we get to the real part of the vacation.
And, without further ado,
I'm saying ado, gotta run.
Or Abu.

Be safe, take care, neeb:love:

Yep, I think I can say for all of us, sharing is highly overrated. I don't mean the germs in the tub, I mean the germ INFO on the blog. I'll bet you're a riot at an OLD COUNTRY BUFFET. To be honest, I would have thought that the high temperature would kill most germs, guess not , huh? (did you just hear everybody cringe knowing that she's going to answer this now?):scared1:

:lmao: :lmao:

No the temp does not kill them. I say if its not too hot for you to even get in then you can rest assured that there is bacteria in there. People do come into the hospitals with infections they get from hot tubs because not everyone is as clean as you and I and not everyone (some who know they have a skin infection) cares. Because the temp of a hot tub makes the chlorine turn into vapor (poof all gone) you dont have protection like a pool.

Just a little info I guess. You dont want a staph infection, My son went through that last year, not pretty at all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter