Staying at RIV, when u own resale

ded4025

Earning My Ears
If I purchase resale right now for a O14 DVC resort but would like to stay at RIV. What are my options? Can I do a points transfer with a RIV owner so that I can make a reservation or I can only rent points from a owner who makes the reservation for me?

Can I do a points transfer with a RIV owner so that I can make a reservation or I can only rent points from a owner who makes the reservation for me?
Either of these would work as long as the other owner purchased their Riviera points direct. Getting points transferred in will NOT change the status of your existing points.

One thing that someone mentioned is that they were not allowed to use transferred points from an L14 that was grandfathered to book RIV because they have a restricted membership right now.

But if you have actual RIV points to use is should not be a problem. As noted, you can pay cash, rent from an owner eligible to book or get a points transfer of RIV points.

I think within the next 2-3 years, once the number of RIV resale owners increases and they had a chance to stay there a few time, a new "market need" will exist. Not that I think RIV resale owners will not want to stay there or tire of there, they will just be interested is staying somewhere else every so often. Since you can't transfer in and out in the same UY, you will basically want to mutually rent from each other. So, if you own at a resort that requires > 7 month booking, you will make a reservation for a RIV owner at your home resort, and they will make a reservation for you at RIV. Obviously any point differences would need to be compensated in cash. Basically a new "swap" board on the DIS, focused at swapping in and out of RIV.

I think within the next 2-3 years, once the number of RIV resale owners increases and they had a chance to stay there a few time, a new "market need" will exist. Not that I think RIV resale owners will not want to stay there or tire of there, they will just be interested is staying somewhere else every so often. Since you can't transfer in and out in the same UY, you will basically want to mutually rent from each other. So, if you own at a resort that requires > 7 month booking, you will make a reservation for a RIV owner at your home resort, and they will make a reservation for you at RIV. Obviously any point differences would need to be compensated in cash. Basically a new "swap" board on the DIS, focused at swapping in and out of RIV.
I think that number of people will be rather small, not because people wouldn't want to do it , just that not many owners will know that is an option.

@DaveNan, what you describe can be done today. From the R/T Board Required Reading Thread:

"If you are a DVC Member wanting to trade a reservation at a DVC Resort

If you are a DVC Member wanting to trade a reservation at a DVC Resort
, please submit a thread to be validated. 'Trade Offered' must be used as the title. This would be used by a DVC Member owning at resort A wanting a reservation at resort B and would be accomplished by finding another member willing to make that reservation at their Home Resort in exchange for a reservation at resort A or a transfer of points into their account. This may NOT be used for cash reservation requests - only for an exchange of DVC points or reservations. If a member has an existing reservation to offer the request may only be made within 30 days of arrival."

FWIW, in all the years I have moderated the R/T Board, I do not recall anyone ever using this option. I do not see that changing, even for the resale owners at Riviera. It's just too hard to agree on the relative value of points. Is the home resort priority for VGF worth the same as home resort priority at Riviera? Maybe, but I doubt there is universal consensus on that). It's just easier to rent points for the resort you want and then offer your own points for rental to compensate. It's seldom a wash transaction.

@DaveNan, what you describe can be done today. From the R/T Board Required Reading Thread:

"If you are a DVC Member wanting to trade a reservation at a DVC Resort

If you are a DVC Member wanting to trade a reservation at a DVC Resort
, please submit a thread to be validated. 'Trade Offered' must be used as the title. This would be used by a DVC Member owning at resort A wanting a reservation at resort B and would be accomplished by finding another member willing to make that reservation at their Home Resort in exchange for a reservation at resort A or a transfer of points into their account. This may NOT be used for cash reservation requests - only for an exchange of DVC points or reservations. If a member has an existing reservation to offer the request may only be made within 30 days of arrival."

FWIW, in all the years I have moderated the R/T Board, I do not recall anyone ever using this option. I do not see that changing, even for the resale owners at Riviera. It's just too hard to agree on the relative value of points. Is the home resort priority for VGF worth the same as home resort priority at Riviera? Maybe, but I doubt there is universal consensus on that). It's just easier to rent points for the resort you want and then offer your own points for rental to compensate. It's seldom a wash transaction.

Well...... I just did successfully conclude a trade on the R/T Board for my Riviera points! I trade away a Riviera reservation next Christmas to an Aulani re-sale owner, for an Aulani reservation next summer. We traded points 1:1 but then we privately agreed to a point rental rate for excess points.

Well...... I just did successfully conclude a trade on the R/T Board for my Riviera points! I trade away a Riviera reservation next Christmas to an Aulani re-sale owner, for an Aulani reservation next summer. We traded points 1:1 but then we privately agreed to a point rental rate for excess points.
Well that's one, then, LOL. Glad it worked out.

Well that's one, then, LOL. Glad it worked out.

Agreed it can be difficult when resorts are "uneven" and you do have to find a match that is pretty close in point totals.
Hard to value trading 100 SSR points for 300 GFV points..
And you aren't going to find many GFV owners that really need home resort privileges at SSR!

But where point trading worked for me, and I suspect it would work for others:
- When 1 of the owners is a non-WDW DVC... So a Hilton Head owner, Aulani owner, etc, wanting a desired WDW resort.For the WDW owner, hard to book Hilton Head during the summer without home resort privileges, and a HHI owner may happily trade away one year where they want WDW, letting them trade for the resort of their pick, for example.
-Trade between "premium" DVC resorts and/or categories. For example, a swap between Easter at Poly and F&W at Beach Club. Or a swap by a GFV owner to get into concierge level at AKV. Basically, resorts and categories that need to be booked at 11 months. Desirability has to be equal enough for it to match owners' interest in trying some variety. Overall, GFV might be more desirable than AKV, for example... but an AKV owner might want to try concierge at AKV some time. A MK DVC owner may want to do a stay at an Epcot resort, and vice versa.
-Where trades are irrelevant -- Resorts and categories that have plenty of 7 month availability. I traded for Aulani because I couldn't be sure my preferred category would be available at 7 months, but if I had wanted a 1 BR with a view, I could have just waited. SSR/OKW owners aren't going to find a lot of demand to trade their points.

With re-sale restrictions at Riviera and future resorts, we may see a growth in "DVC trading."

With re-sale restrictions at Riviera and future resorts, we may see a growth in "DVC trading."
Maybe. My point was that IMO there wouldn't be enough interest /activity to warrant a "new swap board". We'll see, I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter