State of Fast Pass Return (or replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They shut completely down and furloughing most of their staff. Things can not come back with a snap of a finger.
They are doing what they can within their means
I understand this sentiment and in many respects agree with it. But this thread is about fastpasses. Why can’t Disney reinstate fastpasses? The lines are already in use and staffed. The reason fastpasses were “temporarily” suspended in the first place—the need for social distancing—is no longer applicable.

I understand this sentiment and in many respects agree with it. But this thread is about fastpasses. Why can’t Disney reinstate fastpasses? The lines are already in use and staffed. The reason fastpasses were “temporarily” suspended in the first place—the need for social distancing—is no longer applicable.
Is everyone’s best guess at this point that it’s technical issues with whatever they want to roll out?

Is everyone’s best guess at this point that it’s technical issues with whatever they want to roll out?
Remy has said that FP+ passed all tests and is a viable option. It's the paid system that they can't get up and running properly. It would appear they are choosing not to "give away" FP+ and are going to wait until they get the pay to play system functioning. Who knows how long that will be.

My best guess, based on reports from purported insiders, combined with common sense, is as follows.

(1) Disney has plans to switch to a system in which some or all fastpasses will cost extra money in some way.
(2) Either that system has been chosen, but there are continuing IT problems getting it fully realized and integrated with their current systems, or Disney is still debating internally how that system will be structured
(3) Disney could more or less snap its fingers and reinstate the old fastpass+ system right now to improve the summer guest experience.
(4) But Disney would very much like to announce the new system as an improvement on a status quo of no fastpasses—a unique opportunity presented by the pandemic that Disney doesn’t want to waste. (Of course, Disney will in any event market the new system as an improvement over everything that has come before. But they fear the negative publicity and guest anger that could come from charging money for something that used to be free.)
(5) Even if the new system is ready to go—or will be soon—Disney seems intent on holding back everything new until the 50th, so as to make that event as special, new, and exciting as possible.

Of course I have no way of knowing whether any of this is right. But Disney has not given us any other explanation. And if this is even close to correct, I think it’s unconscionable.

My best guess, based on reports from purported insiders, combined with common sense, is as follows.

(1) Disney has plans to switch to a system in which some or all fastpasses will cost extra money in some way.
(2) Either that system has been chosen, but there are continuing IT problems getting it fully realized and integrated with their current systems, or Disney is still debating internally how that system will be structured
(3) Disney could more or less snap its fingers and reinstate the old fastpass+ system right now to improve the summer guest experience.
(4) But Disney would very much like to announce the new system as an improvement on a status quo of no fastpasses—a unique opportunity presented by the pandemic that Disney doesn’t want to waste. (Of course, Disney will in any event market the new system as an improvement over everything that has come before. But they fear the negative publicity and guest anger that could come from charging money for something that used to be free.)
(5) Even if the new system is ready to go—or will be soon—Disney seems intent on holding back everything new until the 50th, so as to make that event as special, new, and exciting as possible.

Of course I have no way of knowing whether any of this is right. But Disney has not given us any other explanation. And if this is even close to correct, I think it’s unconscionable.

if They are waiting on fast pass for the 50th I don’t see how that is special when it just to be free and is likely to be a charge

if They are waiting on fast pass for the 50th I don’t see how that is special when it just to be free and is likely to be a charge

I think the idea is that after watching the wait times skyrocket over the summer, guests will be thrilled with the "opportunity" to pay to avoid them. Disney is very good at marketing and are well versed in how to make a take away look like a freebie.

I think everything you said is correct, from what I’ve seen in here and in other threads (thanks to Remy especially).

However, I don’t think fastpass and the 50th have anything to do with eachother. And I don’t think Disney is purposely plumping up wait times to make a paid option seem more viable (as others are suggesting). Disney guest visitation and touring habits do not correlate with that kind of thinking. I think Disney would roll out the paid version immediately if they could. There is nothing tying the release of this fastpass system with thr 50th anniversary except for technical limitations forcing the timing of this to be very close to the 50th, but the 50th isn’t the reason.

Either way, right or wrong the results end up being tbe same though. Point is, from these same reports, Disney CAN launch old fastpass now but they aren’t. And that’s more then likely because Disney is “close” with their paid version making the old fastpass+ a non-viable stopgap option given how close they may be too a paid version.

Half my group canceled their trip because of this and I had to cancel close to 30 ADR’s that I planned for them, so we are pissed with Disney’s decision making at the moment. They should have released old fastpass+ now and then put out a paid version later next year. Instead, they are writing off the summer crowds. Not very magical, Disney. Not very magical at all. Only reason we didn’t cancel our portion of the trip is we got lucky with a BCV reservation. We thought maybe that’d be worth it.

I don't know anything about anything but..the 60 day mark is in about 2-3 weeks before the 50th so I would expect whatever they are going to do it might happen then, good or bad.

What if advanced booking is a thing of the past.

I think it will be a thing of the past. Logistically, it just doesn’t make sense to hold onto that one rule when the entire thing is changing, especially when other booking windows for things such as ADR’s have also changed. Plus, no way would Disney announce fastpass 60 days out. Whatever announcement they make and whenever they make it, I think the fastpass rollout will arrive very shortly after that with a reduced booking window, if they even have one.

It is interesting that so many here have posted "alternate" plans due to the ride wait times. Those "alternate" plans, more often than not, involve non-attraction activities AND cost additional monies. This is PRECISELY what Disney wants from its customers: Less time in attraction lines (where they don't make anything residually) and more time spent on "alternates" that translate into additional revenue. Combine this with the aggravation of not having reasonable access to attractions and BOOM, you introduce a new system of attraction access that ALSO provides revenue where it didn't before.

Do we all really believe that when the new ride options are in place they won't continue to make the attraction access anything but untenable without taking the paid option? Imagine a world where you pay for Fastpass access OR you don't and have to secure a ride-time with no stand-by option. What happens when you don't pay the $$ and the # of standby slots are all gone for an attraction? You move on to other things (food, drinks, merchandise, etc.) because what other choice do you have? If it's your once a year trip and your only day at that park, I guess you just don't get to experience that attraction at all but here's a Mickey Rice Crispy treat for you!

My guess is this is the road that Disney is driving down, full speed.

What if all FP reservations went to 30 days instead of 60 for onsite? Could still give the on-site the perk of length of stay booking. That, obviously, if there is still a free set of FP available to everyone.

It is interesting that so many here have posted "alternate" plans due to the ride wait times. Those "alternate" plans, more often than not, involve non-attraction activities AND cost additional monies. This is PRECISELY what Disney wants from its customers: Less time in attraction lines (where they don't make anything residually) and more time spent on "alternates" that translate into additional revenue. Combine this with the aggravation of not having reasonable access to attractions and BOOM, you introduce a new system of attraction access that ALSO provides revenue where it didn't before.

Do we all really believe that when the new ride options are in place they won't continue to make the attraction access anything but untenable without taking the paid option? Imagine a world where you pay for Fastpass access OR you don't and have to secure a ride-time with no stand-by option. What happens when you don't pay the $$ and the # of standby slots are all gone for an attraction? You move on to other things (food, drinks, merchandise, etc.) because what other choice do you have? If it's your once a year trip and your only day at that park, I guess you just don't get to experience that attraction at all but here's a Mickey Rice Crispy treat for you!

My guess is this is the road that Disney is driving down, full speed.

This makes total sense. And I believe you are right.

The question I think becomes, where is the line in the sand for people with regards to overall guest experience and people not wanting to go anymore? The line in the sand has already been crossed as far as most of my group goes, and they canceled accordingly. But I know we are probably in the minority and what you referenced is probably what most people are doing, finding alternative plans within Disney (aka ways to spend money at Disney).

I still don’t buy that Disney is creating a capacity issue with lines to create this artificial “need” for a future paid system though (not that my opinion holds anymore water then anyone else here though). I think capacity incresases have more to do with maximizing per-park profit while ignoring maximizing guest experience and maximizing per-guest spending, at least just for the time being to bring back some easy money. And that creating this urge for fastpass may be a partially unintended consequence but not the primary mover at all.

But either way and in general, you do make a great point.

(from The Simpsons, 26:11)

“No! You can’t take him now, we’ve only been on two rides.” – Bart
“Well you should have used Fast Pass.” – Chief Wiggum
“Fast Pass can’t fix everything.” – Bart
“Spoken like a kid who has never lived in a non fast pass world.” – Chief Wiggum with a true pearl of wisdom.

Attachments

• 5gg3ih.jpeg
    5gg3ih.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 25
This makes total sense. And I believe you are right.

I still don’t buy that Disney is creating a capacity issue with lines to create this artificial “need” for a future paid system though (not that my opinion holds anymore water then anyone else here though). I think capacity incresases have more to do with maximizing per-park profit while ignoring maximizing guest experience and maximizing per-guest spending, at least just for the time being to bring back some easy money. And that creating this urge for fastpass may be a partially unintended consequence but not the primary mover at all.

I agree with the above ... I think Disney won't start FP back up until they can monetize it with a new system, but I don't think they're sitting on the new system to create an artificial demand. They're just having issues launching the new system. If you temporarily bring back the old 'free' FP+ system, Disney is well aware guests will not be too happy with a sudden transition to a pay-to-play transition. They feel they weaned us off of the old system, so Disney would not want to bring FP+ back even in a temp situation.

I'm not sure I understand this line of thinking that by having to que for a standby time, guests will automatically go to the shops/resteraunts/etc. Same with the argument I've heard for parades. "By having a parade, it takes guests away from shops". It seems theoretically plausible but I have "x" number of dollars available to me for trinkets and food. I may spend all of it on day 1 or day 7. Or, spread it out over all days. But I don't have "x" + "y" + "z" to spend. Yeah I might fudge the number slightly but the amount is the amount. Why would anyone think that if I'm not standing in line for a ride or waiting for a parade, I would automatically go spend money I don't have on Main Street? Maybe this is just a me thing and others have unlimited funds to spend. Also, even if I did have the money, aren't you just shifting your crowd problem from the line to the store? It's not like those stores don't have capacity limits as well.

I'm not sure I understand this line of thinking that by having to que for a standby time, guests will automatically go to the shops/resteraunts/etc. Same with the argument I've heard for parades. "By having a parade, it takes guests away from shops". It seems theoretically plausible but I have "x" number of dollars available to me for trinkets and food. I may spend all of it on day 1 or day 7. Or, spread it out over all days. But I don't have "x" + "y" + "z" to spend. Yeah I might fudge the number slightly but the amount is the amount. Why would anyone think that if I'm not standing in line for a ride or waiting for a parade, I would automatically go spend money I don't have on Main Street? Maybe this is just a me thing and others have unlimited funds to spend. Also, even if I did have the money, aren't you just shifting your crowd problem from the line to the store? It's not like those stores don't have capacity limits as well.
I think the average American does not budget well (see our debt) and given the opportunity will spend more.

But you have to think inversely a little as well, if you are standing in line all day you don’t have the opportunity to spend more. You simply can’t, your trapped. But if you suddenly find yourselves waiting virtually, you can shop, eat, (or NOT shop or eat). But at least the opportunity to spend more money is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter