Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Day *August 29* Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're thinking of checking out GE on opening day. Any thoughts on the line up to get into the park? What time it may start? How long it might be?

What about getting into the land itself? Any idea how many people the land will hold? I imagine there will be a line to get in there too?

Not sure if we will stand in multi-hour line for the ride, but we would like to walk around the land.

I know others have gone for opening days at other lands. Any experience to share.

We're thinking of checking out GE on opening day. Any thoughts on the line up to get into the park? What time it may start? How long it might be?

What about getting into the land itself? Any idea how many people the land will hold? I imagine there will be a line to get in there too?

Not sure if we will stand in multi-hour line for the ride, but we would like to walk around the land.

I know others have gone for opening days at other lands. Any experience to share.

This is obviously speculation:

I suspect the line to get in will start the evening before (if Disney allows it to start before park closing on 8/28).

There definitely will be a line to get into the land (there was for both Pandora and Toy Story Land).

Post opening day say during the first month, what will the line-up situation be the morning of? With no FP I am fully committed to something like 3-4AM
I think you should be in good shape but I'm gonna keep using the word "unprecedented" here because I don't think anyone can predict how bad it's going to be. I certainly hope the overnighters slow down after the first week.

How many people do we think we be in line the night before. If someone arrives around 5-6 am will they be shut out of getting into the land?

How many people do we think we be in line the night before. If someone arrives around 5-6 am will they be shut out of getting into the land?
an excellent question which no one knows the answer.
Only having Star Wars Weekends as a personal reference' I would get in line around 1am and had about 50 people in front of me. This was to get an autograph from 1 celebrity and that was it....now imagine an entire land with a ride and multiple hands on experiences and I think it will obviously be much higher. Unless Disney enforces no camping out over night (which I don't know how they would be able to control that)
Personally I am staying at AoA and planning on being at the entrance by midnight

an excellent question which no one knows the answer.
Only having Star Wars Weekends as a personal reference' I would get in line around 1am and had about 50 people in front of me. This was to get an autograph from 1 celebrity and that was it....now imagine an entire land with a ride and multiple hands on experiences and I think it will obviously be much higher. Unless Disney enforces no camping out over night (which I don't know how they would be able to control that)
Personally I am staying at AoA and planning on being at the entrance by midnight

We never did the celeb autographs but I feel like there was a year where people were lined up before the park had even closed yet? I can’t for the life of me remember who it would have been for either

We never did the celeb autographs but I feel like there was a year where people were lined up before the park had even closed yet? I can’t for the life of me remember who it would have been for either
yes it happened every night. Linda Skywalker was one that would basically camp out Thursday night and stay at DHS until Sunday night, she would just go out of the park at closing and get in line for the next day, she was not alone either. People would bring chairs, small tents, sleeping bags and then store it in their cars in the morning

When we did a couples trip last August (sans kids, wooo!), I believe (and I could be remembering wrong) that HS had EMH every day (or most days) either morning or evening after the opening of TSL. I have to think extra EMH would likely be added for the opening of SWGE, especially that close to opening.

We booked AOA because it is our last chance to stay there before our youngest turns 3 and we're beyond occupancy, but were REALLY REALLY hoping the skyliner is open for our labor day trip. With all the testing the past few weeks and SWGE opening the 29th, I'm optimistic they're planning to have them up and running before opening.
Thanks for the info! That would make sense that they would expand MH and if they add them every day then to some degree it would almost be a wash as to the relative impact of MH on which day to go.

Anybody have any historical info on which magic hours, morning MH or evening MH, has the most impact on crowd levels?

On first day? Maybe! Gonna use that word "unprecedented" again. There are so many factors going into this that it's just really hard to tell someone that they should be ok if they get to the park at so-and-so time. If I were going on day one (and I'm not), I'd plan to be waiting at the gate for awhile.

While were on the topic of capacity, anyone with estimates on the max capacity of DHS or SWGE itself? Obviously It was the smallest of the WDW parks prior to TSL and SWGE but with the expansions, is its capacity closer to MK now? I heard somewhere that Epcot could hold close to 100K at once... how close to this is DHS now?

While were on the topic of capacity, anyone with estimates on the max capacity of DHS or SWGE itself? Obviously It was the smallest of the WDW parks prior to TSL and SWGE but with the expansions, is its capacity closer to MK now? I heard somewhere that Epcot could hold close to 100K at once... how close to this is DHS now?
I think even with SWGE DHS is still the smallest.

We had zero intentions of going to the opening of SWGE. I made our annual last-week-of-August WDW reservations last October. Now, lo and behold . . . holy moly. But with NO fastpass+? Wowza! Unless they have a limited-capacity, hard ticket event for SWGE, I think we will have to visit another park that day!
You are so right! Why didn't I think of that? That's what I want! "a limited-capacity, hard ticket event for SWGE". Yes, please!

I am so excited that this opens the first day of our already planned trip. Since we were coming in on an flight arriving at 8am, I was able to add a discounted room on to the front and change our flights, so it won't be to bad for me to actually be able to be there for official opening (although we don't have free dining for the extra night). I book same hotel/view and I'm hoping I can request we just stay in the same room over the 2 reservations. I've got 2/3 of my adult children and my teen and tween on the trip with me, all of whom will likely sleep in while I'm lined up and doing all the GE stuff. would especially like to get merch and gawk at things, as well as hopefully ride smugglers run. Is that going to need to be midnight, or can I probably get away with closer to 3am?

I am so excited that this opens the first day of our already planned trip. Since we were coming in on an flight arriving at 8am, I was able to add a discounted room on to the front and change our flights, so it won't be to bad for me to actually be able to be there for official opening (although we don't have free dining for the extra night). I book same hotel/view and I'm hoping I can request we just stay in the same room over the 2 reservations. I've got 2/3 of my adult children and my teen and tween on the trip with me, all of whom will likely sleep in while I'm lined up and doing all the GE stuff. would especially like to get merch and gawk at things, as well as hopefully ride smugglers run. Is that going to need to be midnight, or can I probably get away with closer to 3am?
I gotta believe 3am will be enough...that’s what I’m planning. What a thrilling walk from the yacht club it will be!

I think even with SWGE DHS is still the smallest.
Exactly. DHS is very small, and so is SWGE. No way is it going to hold a big flood of fans. Pandora handled the flood OK, but the Avatar movie doesn't have any fans. Star Wars has fans from around the world. SWGE is nowhere near big enough. They really need to build an entire Star Wars Theme Park, not just some little land.

You totally can stay in the same room. I do that all the time; never had a problem. Just make sure you call them ahead to make the request, and then confirm it with the front desk the moment you arrive.

Close to 3 am? I don't know, people are talking about camping there all night. It will be warm, at least, but hot when the sun rises. You might not make it into SWGE or even DHS that day if you get there at 3 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter