Spring Surprise (March 31-April 3rd 2022)

Thank you! I completely understand. I've spent way too much time since the runDisney announcements were made trying to figure out how many trips I could realistically afford to make, with limited time off!

I felt the same way, so don't be surprised if you get the itch to do a half marathon after this spring! :goodvibes
Well, in the interest of being prepared, I just booked a Pop Century room for March 29-April 5, so if I sign up for the Springtime Surprise in-person events, I’ve got somewhere to stay 🥳🥳

RIP my wallet 😅🤑😅

With this being an inaugural event, I was hoping to have a chance to run it in 2022 and each year afterwards, getting to "perfect" status. I'm wondering though, if they change the theme each year, will that mean we'd not actually be running the same race each year, and so wouldn't be considered "perfect" anything? My guess is it would depend on how much they change from year to year. Have they done anything like this before?

I was intrigued by that thought also. If not a specific race maybe a perfect status can be tied to a weekend challenge or simply the longest race of the weekend each year.
I think maintaining a perfect status would be fun and unfortunately I got into runDisney too late and missed all the other inaugural races.

What does everyone think the crowds will be like? I usually avoid March and April because of spring break crowds. Will before/after the event be more crowded than say marathon weekend?
They usually do these races strategically around when they are trying to draw people in. I'm a local AP and this is one of my favorite times of year to go. The post spring break but pre-Easter and Memorial Day is a pretty nice lull with good weather. But it can definitely get humid in the mornings for these runs.

Thank you! I completely understand. I've spent way too much time since the runDisney announcements were made trying to figure out how many trips I could realistically afford to make, with limited time off!

I felt the same way, so don't be surprised if you get the itch to do a half marathon after this spring! :goodvibes

Hehe, I actually have MORE time off now since I was doing WFH and there was nowhere to go for so long! I may try to do both Princess and Surprise as a result, we'll see.

Hehe, I actually have MORE time off now since I was doing WFH and there was nowhere to go for so long! I may try to do both Princess and Surprise as a result, we'll see.
I realized today that I’m looking at 6 weeks of PTO for 2022, it’s kind of insane to contemplate.

With all that time off, I’m a little tempted to try for Princess in person, in addition to Springtime Surprise. I guess I’ve got about a month and a half to decide.

What do you think the chance is for an after-party on Sunday evening? Right now, my reservation has me checking out Sunday morning because I am assuming no after-party (since the old April race weekend didn't have one).

What do you think the chance is for an after-party on Sunday evening? Right now, my reservation has me checking out Sunday morning because I am assuming no after-party (since the old April race weekend didn't have one).
I think the after party was a good way to tie in to Food and Wine Festival, and also another cash grab for people with FOMO. I don't think they will have one in April because there is less of a logical tie in to Flower and Garden Festival. I could be very wrong given that FGF is still very food and drink oriented. I just think Food and Wine makes more sense for a tie in.

I'm going to go the opposite way because I think there will be an after party. I think there is a monetary motivation to have the party in the park after the race because it gets people in to spend money.

I was intrigued by that thought also. If not a specific race maybe a perfect status can be tied to a weekend challenge or simply the longest race of the weekend each year.
I think maintaining a perfect status would be fun and unfortunately I got into runDisney too late and missed all the other inaugural races.

Same here! I've been waiting for a new race to be announced "just" for perfect status!!! Hope this is it!

I have never guessed a RunDisney theme correctly. Understanding that, I would not be surprised by a theme tied to the WDW 50th anniversary.

Does anyone remember, back in the day, the Minnie 15K. My daughter and I ran it and the next year it became a Princess Weekend. Minnie only had one race and it was on Saturday. Bright colors and flowers speak to me. I have a room reserved because there has only been one inaugural event that I have missed and so need to to this one.

I heard a rumor that the Club RunDisney page says that general registration for Springtime Surprise is at the end of September but I see nothing on the official runDisney site. Can anyone confirm the rumor? Anyone have any thoughts on when they are finally going to announce something about this race? I figured we would know SOMETHING by seven months out.

I heard a rumor that the Club RunDisney page says that general registration for Springtime Surprise is at the end of September but I see nothing on the official runDisney site. Can anyone confirm the rumor? Anyone have any thoughts on when they are finally going to announce something about this race? I figured we would know SOMETHING by seven months out.
I think I saw a screen shot of a late September registration date too. I put a tentative reminder in my phone calendar. But I haven’t heard anything either. I would really like to know what distances they are planning on!

2021 – 2022 runDisney Race Season

I copied this from the Club runDisney website.

has there been actual language that specifically talks about DISTANCES? because everything I've read for SS seems (to me) to be related to a "surprise" theme.

This is the impression I’ve gotten, too. My money is on a standard 5k/10/half race weekend with a new “surprise” theme being rolled out every year. I think a lot of folks nostalgic for the ToT 10 miler or the old W&D night race are hoping the lack of info might herald a return of something like that. I doubt it, because RunDisney seems to value simplicity and standardization over novelty these days, but I wouldn’t mind being wrong.

Normally I’m off on tuesdays but should I take September 28th off just in case the theme/distance appeal to us? That is the question

This is the impression I’ve gotten, too. My money is on a standard 5k/10/half race weekend with a new “surprise” theme being rolled out every year. I think a lot of folks nostalgic for the ToT 10 miler or the old W&D night race are hoping the lack of info might herald a return of something like that. I doubt it, because RunDisney seems to value simplicity and standardization over novelty these days, but I wouldn’t mind being wrong.
In the Disney Parks Blog post about the return of live races, they indicated a change in distances:
  • runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend: Each race season, the fourth weekend will be the runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend that will include different race themes and distances each year.
...but the runDisney page doesn't mention that, so who knows lol :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter