Spring Surprise (March 31-April 3rd 2022)

Would someone please describe what the ToT and EE races were all about? They’ve been referred to a few times in various threads, and in different boards, but I haven’t found any description as to what they were like and why they were so special or fun.

Here are some recaps of TOT 10 milers, I just googled "tower of terror 10 miler recap": Link

Here are some recaps of EE (link)

Would love to see something a bit different. At least I hope they have a different set of courses. As much as I love every race weekend, having W&D and Star Wars courses be the same was kind of a letdown. Like other posters said, it would be great to run the AK more, or HS for that matter.

I hope it's more than a 5k. Between the explosion of popularity of run events and the post-pandemic "people want to do things" factor, a 5k would fill up too fast, plus I don't feel like a 5k is enough challenge to be worth a trip to WDW.
I think it will be more than a 5k. Given that it is spread over four days there will probably be three events (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) like the other weekend. Hopefully the "Spring Surprise" name isn't a placeholder and is actually indicative that things might change each year. It would be cool to get different themes or different race types every time instead of the usual 5K, 10K, Half.

They have so much flexibility with this “theme.”

Anniversary year for a movie?
Sidekicks?
Animals? (Nemo, abu, Doug, etc)
Princes?
Rides?
They could go full blown with the "Surprise" portion of it and not announce a theme or medals (just distances) until you're actually at the race. That could backfire and keep people from registering but I think it would be a lot of fun to not know what we were going into.

I'm very excited about this one. My daughter loves running and wanted to do a Disney 10k for her 10th birthday since that was the age requirement at the time. She turned 10 in March on 2020 so we had registered her for Wine and Dine that year and then everything went bananas. She and I are planning on doing this race in 2022 and now I'm really curious about the distances. Hopefully she'll be old enough to do at least some of them, if not all.

With this being an inaugural event, I was hoping to have a chance to run it in 2022 and each year afterwards, getting to "perfect" status. I'm wondering though, if they change the theme each year, will that mean we'd not actually be running the same race each year, and so wouldn't be considered "perfect" anything? My guess is it would depend on how much they change from year to year. Have they done anything like this before?

What does everyone think the crowds will be like? I usually avoid March and April because of spring break crowds. Will before/after the event be more crowded than say marathon weekend?

With this being an inaugural event, I was hoping to have a chance to run it in 2022 and each year afterwards, getting to "perfect" status. I'm wondering though, if they change the theme each year, will that mean we'd not actually be running the same race each year, and so wouldn't be considered "perfect" anything? My guess is it would depend on how much they change from year to year. Have they done anything like this before?
I was wondering the same thing. Not only will the themes change, but it sounds like the distances will as well, which makes me think “perfect” status won’t apply to this race weekend. I’m hoping to be wrong though!

They have not. My guess is that either this won't count towards perfect status or the status will be tied to the longest event of the weekend. If the longest race in year 1 is a half marathon and year 2 is a 10 miler doing both would count.

What does everyone think the crowds will be like? I usually avoid March and April because of spring break crowds. Will before/after the event be more crowded than say marathon weekend?
I would say less busy than when MW is the same week as New Year’s, but more busy than when MW has a weekend in between New Year’s and race weekend. How’s that for an answer?? 😁
I’ve been to MW when it is shoulder to shoulder can barely get through Fantasyland, but also been when it is not busy at all. I would say SW weekend (and thus this weekend) was busy, but not crazy busy.

The theming (colors, name, etc) are WAY too bright and cheery for it to be any kind of callback to the original ToT 13K or 10Miler races. Besides, the new Wine & Dine theming seems to be the bone they’re throwing at the ToT crowd. My bet is that it’s going to be tied to whatever the spring Flower show thing is called (don’t they have a flower and arts show or something in the spring as a counterpoint to W&D?)

I’m thinking about maybe doing this in person, but I need details because I’m not really a running person, more like a run-a-bit, walk-a-bit type person 😆😆. I’ve got a bunch of virtual 5Ks lined up (including the Disney Lion King ones), and I’m training to work up to doing a 10K.

The theming (colors, name, etc) are WAY too bright and cheery for it to be any kind of callback to the original ToT 13K or 10Miler races. Besides, the new Wine & Dine theming seems to be the bone they’re throwing at the ToT crowd. My bet is that it’s going to be tied to whatever the spring Flower show thing is called (don’t they have a flower and arts show or something in the spring as a counterpoint to W&D?)

You mean the Epcot International Flower & Garden Show? Festival of the Arts is a completely separate thing that occurs earlier in the year.

You mean the Epcot International Flower & Garden Show? Festival of the Arts is a completely separate thing that occurs earlier in the year.
Probably. I’m not really familiar with what happens at Disney between Christmas and Memorial Day.

I’m thinking about maybe doing this in person, but I need details because I’m not really a running person, more like a run-a-bit, walk-a-bit type person 😆😆. I’ve got a bunch of virtual 5Ks lined up (including the Disney Lion King ones), and I’m training to work up to doing a 10K.
Prior to runDisney I ran/walked a number of local 5Ks and 10Ks. l'm not fast, and I'm certainly wasn't placing in any age groups or categories, but I enjoyed it so I did it. I heard about runDisney here on the disboards, and ended up signing up for the 5K and 10K at Princess weekend.

There's a reason why these races are so popular and sell out so quickly. runDisney is on a completely different level. Personally, no matter how much stress and frustration registration and POT gives me, it's all worth it when I step foot on Disney property for a race weekend. No one knows what this season will bring now with covid, but I love all of it. Planning out themed running outfits, noticing runDisney veterans in the airport and/or on the Magical Express, seeing the runDisney transportation signs at the resorts, the rush of the expo on the first day (even the insanely long lines), waking up at a way too early hour but not being tired because of the energy of thousands of runners around you, the fireworks at the starting line, the mile markers, the character stops, the volunteers, the spectators, the music, the finish line, wearing the medal(s) around the parks... I could go on and on :lovestruc

I know none of this is what you are looking for lol but the details involve all of that for me, in addition to the actual logistics! One random piece of advice, if there's more than one race that you're trained for and confident in being able to complete, do more than one! My first race I was so nervous about finishing (the rumors about the balloon ladies and parade buses got to me, it was the 5K and the least strict in terms of time requirements but I didn't know that at the time!) that I didn't really take the time to enjoy it as much as I should have. The next day the nerves were all out, I stopped at practically every character and had a blast!

My first runDisney race weekend inspired me to shoot for a half marathon (something that seemed IMPOSSIBLE before that), and now I'm training for my first marathon! As cheesy as it sounds, I have runDisney to thank for all that running has brought me.

Prior to runDisney I ran/walked a number of local 5Ks and 10Ks. l'm not fast, and I'm certainly wasn't placing in any age groups or categories, but I enjoyed it so I did it. I heard about runDisney here on the disboards, and ended up signing up for the 5K and 10K at Princess weekend.

There's a reason why these races are so popular and sell out so quickly. runDisney is on a completely different level. Personally, no matter how much stress and frustration registration and POT gives me, it's all worth it when I step foot on Disney property for a race weekend. No one knows what this season will bring now with covid, but I love all of it. Planning out themed running outfits, noticing runDisney veterans in the airport and/or on the Magical Express, seeing the runDisney transportation signs at the resorts, the rush of the expo on the first day (even the insanely long lines), waking up at a way too early hour but not being tired because of the energy of thousands of runners around you, the fireworks at the starting line, the mile markers, the character stops, the volunteers, the spectators, the music, the finish line, wearing the medal(s) around the parks... I could go on and on :lovestruc

I know none of this is what you are looking for lol but the details involve all of that for me, in addition to the actual logistics! One random piece of advice, if there's more than one race that you're trained for and confident in being able to complete, do more than one! My first race I was so nervous about finishing (the rumors about the balloon ladies and parade buses got to me, it was the 5K and the least strict in terms of time requirements but I didn't know that at the time!) that I didn't really take the time to enjoy it as much as I should have. The next day the nerves were all out, I stopped at practically every character and had a blast!

My first runDisney race weekend inspired me to shoot for a half marathon (something that seemed IMPOSSIBLE before that), and now I'm training for my first marathon! As cheesy as it sounds, I have runDisney to thank for all that running has brought me.
Thanks for all that! If I do in-person, I’m definitely planning to do a 5K and a 10K. I know I can physically complete both distances, I just need to train to do it a bit faster. I’ve already got 2 Orlando trips this fall (in addition to the one I already took in the spring), so finances and PTO dictate that I have to wait until spring to try an in-person 😭😭

I’m definitely in it for the fun (and exercise) so I’ll be doing my best to not stress on timing. I can’t even imagine doing a half marathon, let alone a full—good for you!!

Thanks for all that! If I do in-person, I’m definitely planning to do a 5K and a 10K. I know I can physically complete both distances, I just need to train to do it a bit faster. I’ve already got 2 Orlando trips this fall (in addition to the one I already took in the spring), so finances and PTO dictate that I have to wait until spring to try an in-person 😭😭

I’m definitely in it for the fun (and exercise) so I’ll be doing my best to not stress on timing. I can’t even imagine doing a half marathon, let alone a full—good for you!!
Thank you! I completely understand. I've spent way too much time since the runDisney announcements were made trying to figure out how many trips I could realistically afford to make, with limited time off!

I felt the same way, so don't be surprised if you get the itch to do a half marathon after this spring! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter